Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre 11:53 - Nov 20 with 6764 viewsnordenblue

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/rochdale-sh

Sad times for many businesses connected, another one they can put down to "covid" when in reality I'm guessing it was a sinking ship years before the virus even kicked in
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 12:03 - Nov 20 with 5169 viewsrochdaleriddler

It’s been in a coma for years, finally switching it off. Feel sorry for those working in there, but it didn’t take Nostradamus to predict this

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 12:35 - Nov 20 with 5115 viewsfunkkk

It's probably been 12 years plus since I last set foot in there. It was on its arse then.
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 13:47 - Nov 20 with 5002 viewsAncoats_Blue

Shame for anyone who has lost their job, though writing on the wall for a while even pre covid. I said when the new shopping centre was built there was no way Rochdale needed nor could support 3 centres. Looks like some big brands like Boots and River Island have moved from the Exchange to Riverside now as well so that can’t have too healthy a future.

Would be nice to see the Wheatsheaf and surrounding tat floggers flattened a nice new town centre ground built for Dale. I’ll put a few quid in if I win the Euromil tonight.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 13:48]
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 13:58 - Nov 20 with 4965 viewsrochdaleriddler

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 13:47 - Nov 20 by Ancoats_Blue

Shame for anyone who has lost their job, though writing on the wall for a while even pre covid. I said when the new shopping centre was built there was no way Rochdale needed nor could support 3 centres. Looks like some big brands like Boots and River Island have moved from the Exchange to Riverside now as well so that can’t have too healthy a future.

Would be nice to see the Wheatsheaf and surrounding tat floggers flattened a nice new town centre ground built for Dale. I’ll put a few quid in if I win the Euromil tonight.

The wheatsheaf arena , like it

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 14:29 - Nov 20 with 4919 viewsblackdogblue

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 13:58 - Nov 20 by rochdaleriddler

The wheatsheaf arena , like it

Would be one hell of a sloping pitch 🤣

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 14:41 - Nov 20 with 4889 viewsnordenblue

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 14:29 - Nov 20 by blackdogblue

Could bang a few of the sheep at one end of the "arena"
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 14:46 - Nov 20 with 4874 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Also be horrendous for getting to and from as far as travelling by car.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 14:46 - Nov 20 with 4873 viewsjudd

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 14:41 - Nov 20 by nordenblue

Could bang a few of the sheep at one end of the "arena"

We're not in Yorkshire.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Login to get fewer ads

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 14:48 - Nov 20 with 4870 viewsD_Alien

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 14:46 - Nov 20 by judd

We're not in Yorkshire.

No, but whichever end you're in, you might get a look at the Pennines

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 15:33 - Nov 20 with 4759 viewsmingthemerciless

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 13:47 - Nov 20 by Ancoats_Blue

That waste ground at the top of Drake St would be ideal for a new ground. Right by the station and the tram just going past. Just a shame about the lack of parking. Oldham fans could come via the newly re-opened canal in their canoes.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 15:40]
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 15:38 - Nov 20 with 4739 viewsroccydaleian

Very much to the left.
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 15:47 - Nov 20 with 4694 viewsD_Alien

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 15:33 - Nov 20 by mingthemerciless

That waste ground at the top of Drake St would be ideal for a new ground. Right by the station and the tram just going past. Just a shame about the lack of parking. Oldham fans could come via the newly re-opened canal in their canoes.

Development around top end of Drake St by D_Alien 10 Sep 2020 12:59
A company (link below) have plans for the derelict retail park area adjacent to the Drake St/Maclure Rd junction. I believe this was featured in the Manctopia programme last night (didn't watch, will try to on catch-up)

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/capital-centric-readies-plans-for-rochdale-neighbourhood/

Just to raise awareness, there's a Fb group (link below) which can be signed up to, dedicated to the restoration of the old canal arm which terminated at the retail park back in the day before being infilled. This type of infill can be un-infilled and restored (it's happened elsewhere) and the more people who express their support for this type of project, the more likely it'll help influence planning around this development

This whole area, including along Oldham Rd to where the canal arm branches off the main stretch of canal, has been neglected for decades. It's no use moaning about it and saying nowt can be done; people can lobby and add their support. Negativity is so, so cheap, but if you want to help make a difference, have a look at what's happening and how that whole district could become uplifted from what it is now with the right ideas

https://www.facebook.com/groups/292292365495536/

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 16:06 - Nov 20 with 4648 viewsAncoats_Blue

Aye yeah, can’t build on a gradient. I remember now having to take a ski lift from one side of the Wheatsheaf to the other the place was so un level. I lost count of the times I dropped my Argos catalogue onto the pianist in Russell’s cafe.
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 16:50 - Nov 20 with 4581 viewsDalenet

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 12:03 - Nov 20 by rochdaleriddler

It’s been in a coma for years, finally switching it off. Feel sorry for those working in there, but it didn’t take Nostradamus to predict this

We agree on this one
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 17:09 - Nov 20 with 4551 viewsBillyRudd

Please forgive my ignorance ( I rarely visit my home town centre nowadays ) but other than Marks, Next and a multi storey carpark in a new position ,that I can see when I drive down John Street to the tip, what is in the new shopping centre and how is it rated? Am I missing owt? This is,nt a wind up I,m genuinely interested.
Up the Dale
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 17:32 - Nov 20 with 4510 viewsrochdaleriddler

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 16:50 - Nov 20 by Dalenet

We agree on this one

Yeah baby, it’s ok not to agree as well you know !!! I’ve never fallen out with anyone about Tesco profits

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 17:47 - Nov 20 with 4470 viewsD_Alien

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 17:32 - Nov 20 by rochdaleriddler

Yeah baby, it’s ok not to agree as well you know !!! I’ve never fallen out with anyone about Tesco profits

I'm sure Nostradamus would agree too, if he were a Tesco prophet

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 18:28 - Nov 20 with 4403 viewsReedy

That land has had planning permission approved for 200 homes:

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/capital-centric-readies-plans-for-rochdale

Blog: The FA Cup

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 18:49 - Nov 20 with 4375 viewsrochdaleriddler

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 17:47 - Nov 20 by D_Alien

I'm sure Nostradamus would agree too, if he were a Tesco prophet

Morrison’s to be cheerful

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 19:05 - Nov 20 with 4340 viewsArthurDaley

On the news tonight the egg man had set up his stall outside the closed doors. He hadn't been in the Wheatsheaf for long. Him and his wife were familiar faces wherever the market was.

A large VAT Dave

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 19:16 - Nov 20 with 4323 viewsrochdaleriddler

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 19:05 - Nov 20 by ArthurDaley

On the news tonight the egg man had set up his stall outside the closed doors. He hadn't been in the Wheatsheaf for long. Him and his wife were familiar faces wherever the market was.

Mr and mrs Jordan

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 19:39 - Nov 20 with 4290 viewsblackdogblue

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 17:09 - Nov 20 by BillyRudd

Please forgive my ignorance ( I rarely visit my home town centre nowadays ) but other than Marks, Next and a multi storey carpark in a new position ,that I can see when I drive down John Street to the tip, what is in the new shopping centre and how is it rated? Am I missing owt? This is,nt a wind up I,m genuinely interested.
Up the Dale

The wheatsheaf is accessible from 2 points, one on Yorkshire street & the other was behind the old black box..

They have built the new “centre” on what was the old bus station and later a new home for the indoor / outdoor 🤨 market.

The bottom level access is still there but a few escalators up to the shops and a windy car park up to the roof.. if you went passed the carpet place on the corner facing Dunelm on the other side of the dual carriageway, before they blocked the access off, you would come to the nationwide building society, the road to the left was a steep one down a hill, this is the “slope”...

I’m fact on another related topic, read the other day Peacocks had gone bang... apart from Argos.. & we know there is one at Central Retail park.. I am one million % behind not loosing more local jobs... but what else was there in there left & there are more than enough empty spaces in the exchange to fill.. went in the other day, boots, game, river island for example it’s easy to relocate.. but what can take the wheatsheafs place?? It’s a higgldy building built on a huge slope...

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 19:48 - Nov 20 with 4268 viewsBillyRudd

Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 19:39 - Nov 20 by blackdogblue

The wheatsheaf is accessible from 2 points, one on Yorkshire street & the other was behind the old black box..

They have built the new “centre” on what was the old bus station and later a new home for the indoor / outdoor 🤨 market.

The bottom level access is still there but a few escalators up to the shops and a windy car park up to the roof.. if you went passed the carpet place on the corner facing Dunelm on the other side of the dual carriageway, before they blocked the access off, you would come to the nationwide building society, the road to the left was a steep one down a hill, this is the “slope”...

I’m fact on another related topic, read the other day Peacocks had gone bang... apart from Argos.. & we know there is one at Central Retail park.. I am one million % behind not loosing more local jobs... but what else was there in there left & there are more than enough empty spaces in the exchange to fill.. went in the other day, boots, game, river island for example it’s easy to relocate.. but what can take the wheatsheafs place?? It’s a higgldy building built on a huge slope...

Thank you Blackdog. Appreciate your reply.
Up the Dale
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 20:48 - Nov 20 with 4206 viewsEllDale

To my mind the writing was on the wall for the Wheatsheaf Centre once the library moved out.
That used to generate some footfall.
Closure of Rochdale shopping centre on 23:00 - Nov 20 with 4087 viewsR17ALE

Why do we need a new ground?

My pulse still quickens every time I walk in and compare what we have to what we had.

I hope I'm not alone.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024