Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham 18:00 - Dec 17 with 1587 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham 17th Dec 2020 18:00
TVOS gives us the lowdown ahead of Saturday's home fixture versus Gillingham. 1

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 21:32 - Dec 17 with 1531 viewsmikehunt

Hello TVOS Who scored the two goals in the away fixture when we did the double over them?
Thanks.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 22:21 - Dec 17 with 1489 views442Dale

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 21:32 - Dec 17 by mikehunt

Hello TVOS Who scored the two goals in the away fixture when we did the double over them?
Thanks.

Dave Lancaster got them both. We wore all green.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 00:06 - Dec 18 with 1435 viewsmikehunt

Blimey! Dave Lancaster. Were they half his total goal tally for us? :-)

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 01:24 - Dec 18 with 1421 viewsSandyman

Remember Gillingham's last visit well for a reason mentioned in the article. The official that day was a disgrace to the game and an embarrassment to himself and football in general. His decision re: the Wilbraham non-penalty was even replayed and mocked on the EFL Quest show later that evening. Ian Holloway had a dig and rightly so, something along the lines of "their defender went in like Superman". Rare to see so many people stay back to boo an official like that but he deserved it.
Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 07:04 - Dec 18 with 1385 viewsAtThePeake

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 01:24 - Dec 18 by Sandyman

Remember Gillingham's last visit well for a reason mentioned in the article. The official that day was a disgrace to the game and an embarrassment to himself and football in general. His decision re: the Wilbraham non-penalty was even replayed and mocked on the EFL Quest show later that evening. Ian Holloway had a dig and rightly so, something along the lines of "their defender went in like Superman". Rare to see so many people stay back to boo an official like that but he deserved it.

The season before, when we travelled down to their place and got a handy point in our survival fight at the end of the season, their fans were absolutely livid with the referee and indeed our performance that day. They felt we should've had at least two sent off so I suppose it evened out somewhat! But yes, I remember the home game last season and he really was horrendous. I mentioned on the podcast recently that I don't seem to notice bad refereeing as much watching on iFollow which has been one of the very, very few plus points to not watching live.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Tangled up in blue.

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 07:58 - Dec 18 with 1350 views442Dale

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 07:04 - Dec 18 by AtThePeake

The season before, when we travelled down to their place and got a handy point in our survival fight at the end of the season, their fans were absolutely livid with the referee and indeed our performance that day. They felt we should've had at least two sent off so I suppose it evened out somewhat! But yes, I remember the home game last season and he really was horrendous. I mentioned on the podcast recently that I don't seem to notice bad refereeing as much watching on iFollow which has been one of the very, very few plus points to not watching live.

Think that’s partly because every dubious or 50/50 decision isn’t followed by hundreds moaning or hurling abuse. This magnifies those decisions and they stand out more; so it’s probably that the refs have never been that awful, and that maybe fans in the ground exacerbate situations.

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 08:02 - Dec 18 with 1347 viewsDaleiLama

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 07:04 - Dec 18 by AtThePeake

Tbf, the ref gave yellows on a couple of challenges from Wigan players when a different decision first time might have resulted the second not happening. Or not. As 442 says, if those had happened at the COA there would have been a lot of baying for blood.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 08:35 - Dec 18 with 1324 viewsTVOS1907

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 00:06 - Dec 18 by mikehunt

Blimey! Dave Lancaster. Were they half his total goal tally for us? :-)

Sorry, mikehunt, missed your post last night. Goals here:

Lancaster scored 17 goals in 68 appearances for Dale, so one in four.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 08:35 - Dec 18 with 1316 viewsTVOS1907

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 01:24 - Dec 18 by Sandyman

You'll be pleased to know we won't see Mr Marsden again; well, not this season at least.

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 09:36 - Dec 18 with 1283 viewsSandyman

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 08:35 - Dec 18 by TVOS1907

You'll be pleased to know we won't see Mr Marsden again; well, not this season at least.

Is he "off the list" now? He caused controversy at several games, not just ours.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grimsby-mansfiel

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/latest-sunderland-a

Several other reports were critical of him.
Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 09:55 - Dec 18 with 1272 viewsAtThePeake

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 07:58 - Dec 18 by 442Dale

Think that’s partly because every dubious or 50/50 decision isn’t followed by hundreds moaning or hurling abuse. This magnifies those decisions and they stand out more; so it’s probably that the refs have never been that awful, and that maybe fans in the ground exacerbate situations.

Good point - just sitting next to the nonplussed Man Utd fan I live with instead of my very animated Dad probably makes a big difference!

Tangled up in blue.

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 10:57 - Dec 18 with 1217 viewsTVOS1907

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 09:36 - Dec 18 by Sandyman

Is he "off the list" now? He caused controversy at several games, not just ours.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grimsby-mansfiel

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/latest-sunderland-a

Several other reports were critical of him.

Yep

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 15:32 - Dec 18 with 1128 viewsShun

I always remember this as one of those fixtures where we have the beating of them at Spotland but always lose at Priestfield.
Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 15:54 - Dec 18 with 1105 viewsfermin

One of my memories of Priestfield (as it was in the TVOS video) was of Dave Bayliss, I think, being carried off unconscious on a stretcher into an ambulance waiting in the gap between the away corner and their main stand while the Gillingham fans were harshly booing him. I assumed they thought he was faking it to cause trouble for one of their players, but I can't remember the incident that led to him being carried. Perhaps one of their players had been sent off.

Another is of seeing us play Brighton there in their last game in exile before they retuned home. It was just after Barrow had been sacked.
Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 16:05 - Dec 18 with 1084 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 08:35 - Dec 18 by TVOS1907

Sorry, mikehunt, missed your post last night. Goals here:

Lancaster scored 17 goals in 68 appearances for Dale, so one in four.

Certainly better than some recent so called strikers that we finally got rid of. He was a decent target man, held the ball up well, and was decent at winning the ball with his head and directing it to a Dale player. He also was ok at bullying defenders using his size.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 16:07]

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 16:07 - Dec 18 with 1077 viewsTVOS1907

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 15:54 - Dec 18 by fermin

One of my memories of Priestfield (as it was in the TVOS video) was of Dave Bayliss, I think, being carried off unconscious on a stretcher into an ambulance waiting in the gap between the away corner and their main stand while the Gillingham fans were harshly booing him. I assumed they thought he was faking it to cause trouble for one of their players, but I can't remember the incident that led to him being carried. Perhaps one of their players had been sent off.

Another is of seeing us play Brighton there in their last game in exile before they retuned home. It was just after Barrow had been sacked.

We went to Gillingham in a minibus in October 1995, for what was a top of the table clash.

Tony Pulis was their manager and they beat us 1-0.

But, following your story, Dave Bayliss's dad came with us in the minibus and I think he did to Barnet a fortnight later for the famous 4-0 win.

However, he was put off by one of our passengers abusing a young lady at the services. Let's just say she had a big nose and didn't appreciate being told by the inebriated Dale fan "not to do backstroke in the sea as other swimmers might thing Jaws was coming"!!

Stats Magic: Rochdale vs Gillingham on 16:58 - Dec 18 with 1034 views442Dale

Those minibus trips, with an eclectic mix of people of different ages/backgrounds, remain some of my best times as Dale fan.

Before that Gillingham game we somehow managed to get a free game of five a side in the sports centre adjoining the ground, but it didn’t measure up to playing cricket on ten yards of sand on Torquay beach as the tide gradually went out.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024