Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
USA 16:13 - Apr 18 with 6377 viewsBicester_North

Is the media over exaggerating about how mental it is over there or is it really that messed up?

There doesn’t seem to be anyone really in control, with Trump seemingly urging people to get out and protest in groups against some state governors, some turning up armed etc. Their whole government set up and massive political division seems to have been exposed badly by the virus situation. Mad place.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

USA on 16:33 - Apr 18 with 3266 viewscocklebreath

I’ve hardly seen anything in the media, I’d love to see what’s going on

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

USA on 17:06 - Apr 18 with 3241 viewsOlliekhent

Yes I have been watching this and it is odd as Trump seems to be encouraging protestors to go against their governors. Not sure why? Maybe political? Are all the governors he goes against opposed to him perhaps? Seems very odd. A bit like Russia with their rogue generals.

The only bad air around here is you guys farting around.

USA on 17:12 - Apr 18 with 3231 viewsdirk_doone

It's the countries most riven by political and regional divisions, like the USA, UK, France, Belgium, Italy and Spain, which are suffering the worst death rates. At times like this you need unity.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

USA on 17:14 - Apr 18 with 3228 viewsSadoldgit

He is cramping himself about the economy tanking so is desperate to get America “open for business” again ASAP. No matter if it costs lives, he will be ok so he doesn’t give a stuff about the death toll.
USA on 20:03 - Apr 18 with 3137 viewskernow

USA on 17:14 - Apr 18 by Sadoldgit

He is cramping himself about the economy tanking so is desperate to get America “open for business” again ASAP. No matter if it costs lives, he will be ok so he doesn’t give a stuff about the death toll.

It's an election year and he will do anything and everything to ensure re-election. So what if lots of poor people die!?

Mad place sums it up.
USA on 01:53 - Apr 19 with 3032 viewsPubeface

deserves a new thread.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 2:23]

Poll: Favourite Cheese ?

USA on 07:15 - Apr 19 with 2971 viewssolent_toffee

Trumps press conference a few days ago was incredible. He showed a power point presentation on how well he’d done so far, it was so cringey, all about him and not about the people, those who have died, their families, front line workers etc.

Boris Johnson is showing the compassion of Mother Theresa compared to Trump.
USA on 08:32 - Apr 19 with 2934 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Yes, I've seen the pictures (from friends who live over there) of lots of fat, white blokes, with a bad dress sense waving guns around holding placards demanding and end to lockdown. Tiresome.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Login to get fewer ads

USA on 08:50 - Apr 19 with 2920 viewsinthebox

Worth a read for anybody trying to defend Boris or Trump
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/18/how-did-britain-get-its-response-t
USA on 09:43 - Apr 19 with 2872 viewsCity_boy

Yes it really is f***ed up over there.

His daily briefings are all over the place and he constantly contradicts himself, his experts and the state Governor's. He was guilty of playing this down in the early stages, totally dismissing it. He then gets Fox News to pump out false and miss leading stories. Whenever, he is challenged he just gets aggressive and dismissive.

His focus has been solely on propping up the economy ahead of the elections later in the year. He is using the Covid briefings as political campaigns.

He has put his daughter (Ivanka) and her husband (Kushner) in charge of a task force. Both have been advocating social distancing, but managed a break last week at one of Trumps golf resorts to celebrate Passover.

Kushner's one and only press briefing was a car crash.

Trumps worst post was to advocate the use of hydroxychloroquine ( drug used for Malaria), saying what have they got to lose. This drug has not been fully tested for use on Covid 19 patients and there are serious side affects.

This week there have been protests in some States (Michigan, Virginia and Minnesota ) against the lock downs and Trump basically tweeted support for these protestors saying liberate these states, and went against all Governor and expert advice in these states.

Despite all this, he still has a loyal base within the Republicans, but his rating is now in low 40%. His management of COVID-19 will be his down fall.

The best briefing was when Trump wheeled out Kellyanne Conway (again on FOX) - to criticise the WHO, suggesting they had not got control of COVID 19, and pointing out it was not COVID 1 (believing there were 18 strands of Covid before Covid 19 they should have learned from !!).

You could not make half of this up !
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 9:49]
USA on 09:47 - Apr 19 with 2865 viewsCity_boy

USA on 07:15 - Apr 19 by solent_toffee

Trumps press conference a few days ago was incredible. He showed a power point presentation on how well he’d done so far, it was so cringey, all about him and not about the people, those who have died, their families, front line workers etc.

Boris Johnson is showing the compassion of Mother Theresa compared to Trump.

I saw this as well. It was unbelievable.

The time line he presented had nothing for February ?
USA on 09:51 - Apr 19 with 2863 viewsdirk_doone

USA on 09:43 - Apr 19 by City_boy

Yes it really is f***ed up over there.

His daily briefings are all over the place and he constantly contradicts himself, his experts and the state Governor's. He was guilty of playing this down in the early stages, totally dismissing it. He then gets Fox News to pump out false and miss leading stories. Whenever, he is challenged he just gets aggressive and dismissive.

His focus has been solely on propping up the economy ahead of the elections later in the year. He is using the Covid briefings as political campaigns.

He has put his daughter (Ivanka) and her husband (Kushner) in charge of a task force. Both have been advocating social distancing, but managed a break last week at one of Trumps golf resorts to celebrate Passover.

Kushner's one and only press briefing was a car crash.

Trumps worst post was to advocate the use of hydroxychloroquine ( drug used for Malaria), saying what have they got to lose. This drug has not been fully tested for use on Covid 19 patients and there are serious side affects.

This week there have been protests in some States (Michigan, Virginia and Minnesota ) against the lock downs and Trump basically tweeted support for these protestors saying liberate these states, and went against all Governor and expert advice in these states.

Despite all this, he still has a loyal base within the Republicans, but his rating is now in low 40%. His management of COVID-19 will be his down fall.

The best briefing was when Trump wheeled out Kellyanne Conway (again on FOX) - to criticise the WHO, suggesting they had not got control of COVID 19, and pointing out it was not COVID 1 (believing there were 18 strands of Covid before Covid 19 they should have learned from !!).

You could not make half of this up !
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 9:49]

There have been egotistical madmen in charge of countries before in history and, after a triumphant beginning, it has always ended very badly with lots of people dying.

USA on 10:48 - Apr 19 with 2818 viewssolent_toffee

USA on 09:47 - Apr 19 by City_boy

I saw this as well. It was unbelievable.

The time line he presented had nothing for February ?

It’s amazing to watch isn’t it? It was like a job interview presentation, smiling and nodding all the way through especially at the parts where he thought he did really well.

My grandfather was American and I have a lot of cousins over there who I keep in regular contact with and it amazes me that some of them won’t have a word said about Trump as it’s considered unpatriotic.
USA on 15:01 - Apr 19 with 2756 viewsCity_boy

USA on 10:48 - Apr 19 by solent_toffee

It’s amazing to watch isn’t it? It was like a job interview presentation, smiling and nodding all the way through especially at the parts where he thought he did really well.

My grandfather was American and I have a lot of cousins over there who I keep in regular contact with and it amazes me that some of them won’t have a word said about Trump as it’s considered unpatriotic.

I used to work for an American company and traveled to NY and Chicago 3-4 times a year and there was colleagues there that rated him as well, which surprised me for NY, which is a Democrat state. I always avoided any politic conversations when visiting !

If their economy tanks on back of Covid 19, they will turn on him.

I watch most of his briefings (they are all on you tube) as it amazes me what crap he spouts and seems to get away with it. Fox News is just as bad - they are all in denial as well. He gets challenged all the time and just tries to humiliate the Journalists or ignore their questions and change the agenda.
USA on 15:18 - Apr 19 with 2744 viewsMr_Happy

USA on 17:14 - Apr 18 by Sadoldgit

The cities in America that came out of lockdown early during the Spanish flu epidemic ( see Philadelphia) saw far more deaths and took years longer to recover economically, if you don't learn from history you learn nothing.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

USA on 17:29 - Apr 19 with 2711 viewsDorsetIan

This is just a bit of expectation management but I was speaking to a friend in California last week, musician and democrat who said he has always hated Trump since years before he was elected. And he said that he thought Trump would win again in November.

The problem, he said, was his opponent . He believes that Biden just isn't up to the job. No so much 'sleepy Joe' but just not energised and never across his brief. He suggested maybe even a hint of dementia but I don't know about that. Long and the short of it in his opinion was that when Biden appears in person, he does not come across very well.

The numbers in the US are truly horrendous - due to exceed 40,000 deaths today - and although they seem to be plateauing, if Trump has his way and allows this 'liberation' movement to succeed, easing the lockdown too soon, the danger of 'second spike' there is very real I think. If that happens Trump might be toast but otherwise, although it beggars believe, I am trying to get used to the idea of four more years of Trump.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 17:31]

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

USA on 17:48 - Apr 19 with 2697 viewsdirk_doone

USA on 17:29 - Apr 19 by DorsetIan

This is just a bit of expectation management but I was speaking to a friend in California last week, musician and democrat who said he has always hated Trump since years before he was elected. And he said that he thought Trump would win again in November.

The problem, he said, was his opponent . He believes that Biden just isn't up to the job. No so much 'sleepy Joe' but just not energised and never across his brief. He suggested maybe even a hint of dementia but I don't know about that. Long and the short of it in his opinion was that when Biden appears in person, he does not come across very well.

The numbers in the US are truly horrendous - due to exceed 40,000 deaths today - and although they seem to be plateauing, if Trump has his way and allows this 'liberation' movement to succeed, easing the lockdown too soon, the danger of 'second spike' there is very real I think. If that happens Trump might be toast but otherwise, although it beggars believe, I am trying to get used to the idea of four more years of Trump.

Your friend has a point. Joe Biden is 77. He's even older than Trump. No wonder he lacks energy and falls asleep sometimes.

Would they elect someone who'd be president in his 80s if he's still alive in 4 years' time?

USA on 18:06 - Apr 19 with 2677 viewsDorsetIan

USA on 17:48 - Apr 19 by dirk_doone

Your friend has a point. Joe Biden is 77. He's even older than Trump. No wonder he lacks energy and falls asleep sometimes.

Would they elect someone who'd be president in his 80s if he's still alive in 4 years' time?

Bonkers isn't it. Bernie Saunders is 78. 330 million people in the US and they can't find an effective democratic challenger.

Age is taking its toll on Trump too mind. When he's reading from notes or an autocue, he's hopeless.

USA on 18:17 - Apr 19 with 2672 views1885_SFC

USA on 17:29 - Apr 19 by DorsetIan

Re your middle paragraph: We had the exact same problem here with "Jezza" and Boris.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 18:17]

Old School is Cool

USA on 18:46 - Apr 19 with 2648 viewssolent_toffee

USA on 18:06 - Apr 19 by DorsetIan

Bonkers isn't it. Bernie Saunders is 78. 330 million people in the US and they can't find an effective democratic challenger.

Age is taking its toll on Trump too mind. When he's reading from notes or an autocue, he's hopeless.

I try to follow the political debates amongst my own family over there but it’s massively split and even worse than here with the liberals v the patriots, although to be fair they are all patriots.

It’s a great country and I love spending time there, its just too big and diverse to control especially when the person with the most wedge (or backers with wedge) is the one who is elected president.

Where’s Tim when we need him to give us a proper insight?
USA on 19:53 - Apr 19 with 2597 viewsGeauxSaints

USA on 18:46 - Apr 19 by solent_toffee

I try to follow the political debates amongst my own family over there but it’s massively split and even worse than here with the liberals v the patriots, although to be fair they are all patriots.

It’s a great country and I love spending time there, its just too big and diverse to control especially when the person with the most wedge (or backers with wedge) is the one who is elected president.

Where’s Tim when we need him to give us a proper insight?

I'm not Tim but I'll take shot at it. The points in this thread are mostly accurate but missing a critical element. Religion. Some of the most well known religious figures in the States, especially here in the South, argue that Trump was "sent by God" to save them from liberal values. This constitutes at least 35% of the voting public and he will never lose them. It is also part of what makes the public discourse so toxic, an attack on Trump is perceived as an attack on religious faith.
USA on 21:21 - Apr 19 with 2558 viewsDorsetIan

USA on 19:53 - Apr 19 by GeauxSaints

I'm not Tim but I'll take shot at it. The points in this thread are mostly accurate but missing a critical element. Religion. Some of the most well known religious figures in the States, especially here in the South, argue that Trump was "sent by God" to save them from liberal values. This constitutes at least 35% of the voting public and he will never lose them. It is also part of what makes the public discourse so toxic, an attack on Trump is perceived as an attack on religious faith.

Another US friend said something which maybe chimes with that. She said that she thought if it wasn't for the debate around abortion, the US would not be half so polarised. I'm guessing that the 'sent by God' demographic is the same as the pro life demographic?

USA on 22:46 - Apr 19 with 2523 viewsGeauxSaints

USA on 21:21 - Apr 19 by DorsetIan

Another US friend said something which maybe chimes with that. She said that she thought if it wasn't for the debate around abortion, the US would not be half so polarised. I'm guessing that the 'sent by God' demographic is the same as the pro life demographic?

It is. Abortion is definitely number 1 but trans issues and the wider gender discussion is becoming increasing more divisive. Even the gun issue and the urban/rural disconnect has a large religious subtext.
USA on 23:29 - Apr 19 with 2503 viewsSadoldgit

USA on 19:53 - Apr 19 by GeauxSaints

I can’t think of anyone much less Christian than Trump. That is really scary.
USA on 00:25 - Apr 20 with 2475 viewswashington_saint

First of all, as ever much utter tosh being spoken by people with their agendas.

I live here in the US and, outside of New York and New Jersey this has not been the massive crisis the media and the left portrayed. Trump speaks very poorly a lot but most of the time he is right.

People have started protesting because suddenly 25 million find themselves unemployed, compared to 2 million 4 weeks ago. This despite many, many areas not having a problem. Add to that Americans do not appreciate their rights being impinged: and many Governors are doing that (Republican and Democrat) even where there is little issue with the virus.

A great example is the MSM calling the GOvernor of South Dakota reckless and letting people die due to her negligence with SOuth Dakota being a hotspot. ALl because she has taken the Swedish model in a sparsely populated State. And in fact, it is not a hotspot with one meat processing plant accounting for most of the cases - and they would have been working anyway as it was deemed an essential business.

Add in he (Trump) was called racist for blocking flights from China and the left are looking pretty stupid.

In my State (Virginia) we have a 'stay at home' order. Today was beautiful and I can tell you people were not staying at home. These lockdowns cannot last indefinitely (some morons calling for an 18 month shutdown) and people are starting to get really tired of it.

Too many Governments have relied on the IMperial COllege studies that were totally, utterly wrong (and please don't say social distancing was the only cause they were wrong).

Obviously this is a nasty, virulent virus that preys on the weak and elderly: but countries don't shut down for really bad flu seasons (and before anyone gets hysterical I'm not comparing the two).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024