Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! 14:01 - Apr 12 with 10199 viewsSadoldgit

Surely nowJohnson must resign?! He has broken the law and lied to Parliament. It is time for him to go and to take his Chancellor with him.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2022 14:01]
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 10:33 - Apr 13 with 1565 viewssaints__fan__73

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 09:56 - Apr 13 by 1885_SFC

Starmer is a wet lettuce. There is no decent opposition in this country which is both sad and worrying. If there was a general election tomorrow - I doubt I'd vote (for the first time in decades).

British politics? You can shove it up your arse.

Did you like Jeremy?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 10:38 - Apr 13 with 1549 views1885_SFC

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 10:33 - Apr 13 by saints__fan__73

Did you like Jeremy?

About as much as the hemorrhoids I'm currently suffering with...

Old School is Cool

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 10:55 - Apr 13 with 1526 viewssaints__fan__73

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 10:38 - Apr 13 by 1885_SFC

About as much as the hemorrhoids I'm currently suffering with...

More than most then.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 11:18 - Apr 13 with 1493 viewsgrumpy

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 10:55 - Apr 13 by saints__fan__73

More than most then.

There are plenty of capable, decent Labour MPs as I am sure there are Tories ,as for our Prime Minister words fail me…..
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 11:20 - Apr 13 with 1491 viewsBazza

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 10:55 - Apr 13 by saints__fan__73

More than most then.

Thought I would check back here expecting to see how many more
hot air insults the gobby left were blowing. Instead there’s Saint901’s wise comments, very well argued, unbiased and spot on.

It’s also a pity no Labour fans can’t suggest any alternative Labour front bench. That in itself is very telling!
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 11:50 - Apr 13 with 1458 viewsSadoldgit

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 09:56 - Apr 13 by 1885_SFC

Starmer is a wet lettuce. There is no decent opposition in this country which is both sad and worrying. If there was a general election tomorrow - I doubt I'd vote (for the first time in decades).

British politics? You can shove it up your arse.

He is a decent person who actually cares about the plight of the people in this country. We have a PM with charisma and look where that has landed us. Whatever you think of him, he cannot be worse than Johnson. This went way beyond party politics ages ago. The man has absolutely no shame or moral compass. The only upside if he continues to cling to office is that we shall hopefully see a cull of his party in the next election. This country desperately needs a complete reset of policy and values.
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 12:56 - Apr 13 with 1414 views1885_SFC

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 11:50 - Apr 13 by Sadoldgit

He is a decent person who actually cares about the plight of the people in this country. We have a PM with charisma and look where that has landed us. Whatever you think of him, he cannot be worse than Johnson. This went way beyond party politics ages ago. The man has absolutely no shame or moral compass. The only upside if he continues to cling to office is that we shall hopefully see a cull of his party in the next election. This country desperately needs a complete reset of policy and values.

Your last sentence is indeed the answer... but sadly, that won't happen any time soon - if ever.

Old School is Cool

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 13:43 - Apr 13 with 1386 viewsSouthamptonfan

The MP saying teachers and nurses were having a drink after their shift is a complete out of touch tw@t. They have a bar in houses of parliament, they don't in any other places of work and not in f@cking hospitals and schools. I'm voting local independent who is a nurse in the council elections and general elections. These Mps dont live in the real world. Vote a real working person.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Login to get fewer ads

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 15:43 - Apr 13 with 1318 viewssaint901

I very much suspect that the local elections next month will be a litmus test for the Tories.

I'd guess that their party faithful and MPs will be running into a lot of unhappiness on the doorstep. If that is reflected in the vote, then some hard questions need to be faced.

Many of the local elections are in London and for the Tories, that is not fertile ground anyway. It's entirely possible that the exit strategy there is to say "well London never votes for us anyway at local level" and limp on.

If the performance in the seats that gave them a majority in the north midlands and higher is poor, then many newly elected MPs with no reason to owe BJ anything, will be asking whether he is a liability.

It's also a sad reflection on UK politics that some may want Starmer, not because of his policies (not yet his but rather the lefts'), his charm (none), his integrity (untested) or his constantly furrowed brow (good PR?) but because he's "better than Boris".

Boris has set a very low bar and being better than that is not difficult. Nor is it reason to elect somebody whom I'm not convinced is fully in control of his party and which could vote (without asking the wider electorate) for policies that many would see as damaging.

As an example - and I am speculating here - Corbyn wanted to scrap our nuclear weapons. The war in Ukraine is likely to be a long affair. We also know that Finland and Sweden want to join the Nato club and Russia is warning them to "be careful". At some point the need to rattle the nuclear sabre in earnest will arise. No nukes, means no seat at that table. If the Left have such a resolution passed, Starmer, regardless of his personal views, is emasculated.

I'm sure there are many much less dramatic examples.

Voting for Starmer because he's not Boris is a cop out.
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 17:38 - Apr 13 with 1253 viewsSadoldgit

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 15:43 - Apr 13 by saint901

I very much suspect that the local elections next month will be a litmus test for the Tories.

I'd guess that their party faithful and MPs will be running into a lot of unhappiness on the doorstep. If that is reflected in the vote, then some hard questions need to be faced.

Many of the local elections are in London and for the Tories, that is not fertile ground anyway. It's entirely possible that the exit strategy there is to say "well London never votes for us anyway at local level" and limp on.

If the performance in the seats that gave them a majority in the north midlands and higher is poor, then many newly elected MPs with no reason to owe BJ anything, will be asking whether he is a liability.

It's also a sad reflection on UK politics that some may want Starmer, not because of his policies (not yet his but rather the lefts'), his charm (none), his integrity (untested) or his constantly furrowed brow (good PR?) but because he's "better than Boris".

Boris has set a very low bar and being better than that is not difficult. Nor is it reason to elect somebody whom I'm not convinced is fully in control of his party and which could vote (without asking the wider electorate) for policies that many would see as damaging.

As an example - and I am speculating here - Corbyn wanted to scrap our nuclear weapons. The war in Ukraine is likely to be a long affair. We also know that Finland and Sweden want to join the Nato club and Russia is warning them to "be careful". At some point the need to rattle the nuclear sabre in earnest will arise. No nukes, means no seat at that table. If the Left have such a resolution passed, Starmer, regardless of his personal views, is emasculated.

I'm sure there are many much less dramatic examples.

Voting for Starmer because he's not Boris is a cop out.

Just like voting for Biden was a cop out to get rid of Trump? It isn’t just about personalities is it? Yes, Johnson is a dreadful person and a useless PM but the Tories have been in power for 12 years and the reason this country is in the toilet isn’t just down to him. We desperately need new ideas and a new approach. We aren't going to get either from the Tories. I don’t know what to expect from Labour, in their election manifesto, but Starmer is a man of integrity, decency and intelligence. Right now we’re are crying out for a leader with those qualities.
So it looks like Johnson, being the shameless individual he is, will not do the decent thing and fall in his sword. This nonsense about not getting rid of a PM in wartime isn’t helping. Not only are we not at war, we have changed the PM on numerous occasions down the centuries during wars. No doubt the Tory grandees will wait and see what happens in the local elections first. I would like to see people show their feeling by using their votes but suspect that many are just so pissed off with the way our politicians treat us that the turn out will be low and apathy will kick in. Having spent much of the day listening to phone in shows though, if Johnson thinks that people aren’t bothered about this and it will just go away, he is very much mistaken.
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 18:01 - Apr 13 with 1219 viewssaint901

I would not trust Starmer to hold off the lefties in the Labour Party and their crackpot agenda.

He needs to get his house in order before I'll consider him.
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 18:10 - Apr 13 with 1214 views1885_SFC

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 18:01 - Apr 13 by saint901

I would not trust Starmer to hold off the lefties in the Labour Party and their crackpot agenda.

He's a wet lettuce and weak as fook. He'll let you know what he thinks on any subject... in a fortnight's time. Hopeless.

Old School is Cool

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 18:28 - Apr 13 with 1198 viewssaint22

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 22:02 - Apr 12 by Butty101

Exactly - Why most of the population was furloughed - downing street was working 24-7. And people get upset about them having a drink in the garden ffs.

Most people are hypocrites as they would have bent the rules, but that dosent count right!

BS
I worked right through this whole pandemic and I had to follow rules, shift work, spend extra cash and this self serving privileged coont was unable to stick to what he told us to all do
He needs firing and he should never have been PM in the first place
The fact so many in this country thought he a good role model and leader is a damning indictment of this country and it’s current state of mind
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 21:00 - Apr 13 with 1132 viewsgrumpy

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 18:01 - Apr 13 by saint901

So who would you consider?
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 10:37 - Apr 14 with 986 viewssaint901

Who would I go for?

Are we in a sufficiently crisis led situation to call for a coalition/war Gov't?

Probably not. However if Russia kicks off in Finland (they've tried before and it didn't go well) and Sweden (same story): the cost of living crises deepens: the economy fails to recover from Covid and other pressures - then perhaps.

If so, I'd pick Starmer as a joint head of that coalition but make sure that he was matched with perhaps Truss (hard nosed and ruthless who I've spoken to many times) and/or Davey - who is untested but sensible.

If that was not to happen and we were stuck with a Tory or Labour minority Gov't in the next election, supported by the Lib Dems, SNP, Irish parties, then let's see.

If Tory, again Truss appeals for the reasons above. She is not well liked however and is seen as hard right but that is perhaps what we need right now. I'd keep Sunak and Javid. Definite casualties would be BJ, Gove and Raab. Not an ethical fibre between them.

If Labour we'd be stuck with Starmer but would need somebody to manage the more extreme leftist policies. Perhaps Lisa Nandy? Rayner would be out in the wilderness because it's fine to be a PITA when in opposition but her sanctimonious "I'm always right" position is backed by a block union vote which means she's owned by them. I don't want nationalised industry nor an unchecked expansion of the public sector at the cost of higher taxes.

I would reform our constitution. I'd have about half the number of MPs we presently have. I'd pay them well to encourage talent to apply. I'd limit the expenses though and instead give the parties a central fund - capped - to distribute. I'd require some legislation to have a two thirds vote in favour. I'd have automatic recall of MPs based on 20% of their electorate asking for it, or for criminal offences. I'd require MPs on some issues to hold local referendums and to vote in accordance with the result.

None of the above will happen.
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 12:30 - Apr 14 with 959 viewsBazza

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 10:37 - Apr 14 by saint901

Who would I go for?

Are we in a sufficiently crisis led situation to call for a coalition/war Gov't?

Probably not. However if Russia kicks off in Finland (they've tried before and it didn't go well) and Sweden (same story): the cost of living crises deepens: the economy fails to recover from Covid and other pressures - then perhaps.

If so, I'd pick Starmer as a joint head of that coalition but make sure that he was matched with perhaps Truss (hard nosed and ruthless who I've spoken to many times) and/or Davey - who is untested but sensible.

If that was not to happen and we were stuck with a Tory or Labour minority Gov't in the next election, supported by the Lib Dems, SNP, Irish parties, then let's see.

If Tory, again Truss appeals for the reasons above. She is not well liked however and is seen as hard right but that is perhaps what we need right now. I'd keep Sunak and Javid. Definite casualties would be BJ, Gove and Raab. Not an ethical fibre between them.

If Labour we'd be stuck with Starmer but would need somebody to manage the more extreme leftist policies. Perhaps Lisa Nandy? Rayner would be out in the wilderness because it's fine to be a PITA when in opposition but her sanctimonious "I'm always right" position is backed by a block union vote which means she's owned by them. I don't want nationalised industry nor an unchecked expansion of the public sector at the cost of higher taxes.

I would reform our constitution. I'd have about half the number of MPs we presently have. I'd pay them well to encourage talent to apply. I'd limit the expenses though and instead give the parties a central fund - capped - to distribute. I'd require some legislation to have a two thirds vote in favour. I'd have automatic recall of MPs based on 20% of their electorate asking for it, or for criminal offences. I'd require MPs on some issues to hold local referendums and to vote in accordance with the result.

Some great points. I would also put an axe through the House of Lords; remove the bishops and hereditarys and perhaps make new members only by MPs committee, age limit 75.
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 13:56 - Apr 14 with 918 viewssaint901

Yep House of Lords to go - serves no useful purpose.

Shame because there are some very committed and intelligent people.

Also however a lot who have been given a seat because of past affiliation with political parties.

I'd start by limiting the number of members, perhaps to 100.

I'd then say that no more hereditary peers to be admitted after a given date.

Then a ban on those who have previously served as MPs for any political party.

Instead I'd have places up for election but on the understanding that the whole thing will be terminated by say 2040.

The requirement that core legislation - tax/spending, defence, public funding - would require a two thirds majority makes the HoL redundant.

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 16:15 - Apr 14 with 888 viewsBerber

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 18:36 - Apr 12 by Heisenberg

Anyone else ? Are Johnson and co anyone else ? They came up with rules. They are in charge and are supposed to set an example. As for that bint Dorries saying it was for only 10 minutes. That is the same 10 minutes people asked to see dying loved ones for the very last time. This lot are an absolute disgrace. How anyone can make excuses for them beggars belief.

Well actually, parliament is made up of ordinary folk, elected by ordinary people. If we expect them to live by a different set of rule, I would suggest that is hypocritical. If being entirely blameless of all wrong actions is the requisite quality, Theresa May might well be the only MP left in parliament. If Starmer could do any better than p1ss down his own leg, the majority of folk might think differently. I don’t see a revolution on the way, if as I suggested months ago, that Boris sweats this one out.
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 17:29 - Apr 14 with 868 viewsgrumpy

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 16:15 - Apr 14 by Berber

Well actually, parliament is made up of ordinary folk, elected by ordinary people. If we expect them to live by a different set of rule, I would suggest that is hypocritical. If being entirely blameless of all wrong actions is the requisite quality, Theresa May might well be the only MP left in parliament. If Starmer could do any better than p1ss down his own leg, the majority of folk might think differently. I don’t see a revolution on the way, if as I suggested months ago, that Boris sweats this one out.

Curious to know what exactly you expect Starmer to do?
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 17:35 - Apr 14 with 862 viewsBerber

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 17:29 - Apr 14 by grumpy

Curious to know what exactly you expect Starmer to do?

He needs to be a leader, and he isn’t. He knows what he has to do, and tries, but he just doesn’t have the charisma to be PM.
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 18:10 - Apr 14 with 853 viewsSadoldgit

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 17:35 - Apr 14 by Berber

He needs to be a leader, and he isn’t. He knows what he has to do, and tries, but he just doesn’t have the charisma to be PM.

You don’t need to have charisma to be a PM. We have had plenty without. It is all Johnson has going for him and look what a disaster he has been. Having worked under Starmer at the CPS I can tell you he listens to what the issues are and he gets things done. Give me capability, intelligence and integrity over charisma any day.
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 18:34 - Apr 14 with 846 viewssaint901

Starmer can have as much credibility, intelligence, integrity and charisma (if he had a major transplant) as he likes, but until he breaks the power of the Left in his party, many in the middle ground of politics (which is where elections are won and lost) will never trust him.

Have the ever read the book in which a community is all blind except for one man. They rely on him for everything but his "better" position causes resentment and the book ends with him being blinded by the community and cast out.

That's modern politics. We elect people - often not "ordinary people" - but career politicians, failed business people, social climbers, influence seekers and we assume that they are "above" us. When it is proven that they have feet of clay like the rest of us, we seek to disable them and cast them out.

Some deserve it - BJ, Blair, Thatcher. Some perhaps not but are victims of a more ruthless operator, - Gove crossed BJ and is now nowhere - John Smith was unlucky to die when he did.

For so long as we think politicians are some form of super man/woman we will be in this position.

I recommend you go and talk to yours and as many others as you can. Almost all of them want to know what you can do for them before they even begin listening.
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 18:34 - Apr 14 with 846 views1885_SFC

Starmer has the charisma of a flip-flop. Nobody knows what he's all about because he doesn't know himself! Here's an example; the government today said they're shipping migrants off to Rwanda. As usual, Starmer is all over the news saying the plan is terrible - simply awful. But as usual, Starmer has no answer to the problem himself because Labout don't know what their plan is on immigration! They don't have one. He's clueless. And if he does have a plan - he'll eventually let you know what it is... albeit a few weeks from now.

The only thing Starmer has ever said that's made total sense is that he'd keep Britain's Trident nuclear programme.

Old School is Cool

Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 19:03 - Apr 14 with 824 viewsgrumpy

You don't have to have charisma to be a good PM.
This excuse for a PM some say has charisma, that's worked out well hasn't it.
Bojo, wake me up before you go-go! on 19:58 - Apr 14 with 775 viewspjt50

It's the cult of celebrity that gets people like Trump & Johnson into positions of power. Unfortunately it's symptomatic of the age we live in where image counts for much more than substance.

Starmer may not perform as well as Johnson on 'Have I Got News for You' but that's not a requirement to make a good PM. Americans eventually saw the light. Hopefully we will too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024