Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? 09:27 - Feb 18 with 945 viewssaintmark1976

Difficult to justify on the basis of goals scored to date stats alone I appreciate. However, on the basis of performance during the last three matches to me he looks half a yard off of his normal game.

With other forwards coming into a degree of form maybe it’s time to try somebody else from kick off on Tuesday ?
Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 09:46 - Feb 18 with 914 viewsPatfromPoole

Well, he is normally captain, but then Super Jack is back in the fold for that gig, I guess…..

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 11:59 - Feb 18 with 809 viewsTimSaint

Don't forget that in addition to being top scorer, A Arm is top assist man with 11 and 2nd in chances created, behind S Arm.

Everyone was poor v Bristol City and the whole team put in a lethargic display.
A Arm played centrally, instead of wide right, still scored, hit the target with another shot and created a great chance for Edozie.
He did well at WBA and we looked so much more balanced in our approach play with him and Fraser as our wide men.

Our other options:

Adams - start centrally on Tuesday if fit
Mara - Poor on Tuesday and Friday. Impact sub at best, especially if we are home.
Edozie - lightweight and poor Tuesday. Good impact sub Friday. Bench v Hull
Brooks - as per Edozie

We made changes to the starting lineup at Bristol and it didn't work. Best keep to Fraser, A Arm and Adams as front 3, then use the impact subs as required.

TimSaint

Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 12:17 - Feb 18 with 791 viewsericofarabia

Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 11:59 - Feb 18 by TimSaint

Don't forget that in addition to being top scorer, A Arm is top assist man with 11 and 2nd in chances created, behind S Arm.

Everyone was poor v Bristol City and the whole team put in a lethargic display.
A Arm played centrally, instead of wide right, still scored, hit the target with another shot and created a great chance for Edozie.
He did well at WBA and we looked so much more balanced in our approach play with him and Fraser as our wide men.

Our other options:

Adams - start centrally on Tuesday if fit
Mara - Poor on Tuesday and Friday. Impact sub at best, especially if we are home.
Edozie - lightweight and poor Tuesday. Good impact sub Friday. Bench v Hull
Brooks - as per Edozie

We made changes to the starting lineup at Bristol and it didn't work. Best keep to Fraser, A Arm and Adams as front 3, then use the impact subs as required.

A bit harsh on Mara for Friday. Thought he did quite well at receiving the ball from defence turning play towards the goal. His attempt at High Press isn't very effective though.
It is nice having the ability to change our style from Arma out wide or moving central and bringing a more out and out winger on.
I was more than pleasantly surprised st how well Aribo performed, but I still prefer him as an impact sub rather than starter
Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 11:48 - Feb 19 with 564 viewsdarthvader

Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 12:17 - Feb 18 by ericofarabia

A bit harsh on Mara for Friday. Thought he did quite well at receiving the ball from defence turning play towards the goal. His attempt at High Press isn't very effective though.
It is nice having the ability to change our style from Arma out wide or moving central and bringing a more out and out winger on.
I was more than pleasantly surprised st how well Aribo performed, but I still prefer him as an impact sub rather than starter

Aribo is a strong lad ..seems to have extra strength since hes had his hair chopped off . .
[Post edited 19 Feb 11:50]

keep the faith coyr

Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 15:10 - Feb 19 with 500 viewssaint901

AA is being asked to play wide right whilst RM persists with his mistake in playing Mara.

Aside from anything physical, I suspect that AA is misjudging his runs which need to begin a little earlier from wide on the pitch rather than in the centre and that is making him look a little off the pace.

At least he is running though, unlike Mara who as a centre forward does a good impression of somebody waiting for a bus.
Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 16:17 - Feb 19 with 478 viewsTimSaint

Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 12:17 - Feb 18 by ericofarabia

Mara was our most ineffective player at WBA.

He was ok at the start, but as the game progressed:

He struggled to hold the ball up and bring others into play
He didn't make the type of runs you would expect from a Forward
He was reactionary and not up with passing from the rest of the team
His first touch in the opposition's box was woeful
(chest down and run onto it in 1st half)
(just before the 2nd goal, when passed to by Aribo)
He was too lightweight - constantly out-muscled, especially 2nd half
He resorted to throwing himself on the floor to try to get free kicks
His header on target was when the ball hit him on the head !! :-)

I get he isn't an out and out striker and perhaps doesn't know his best position - especially in our current team and with the way we are playing at the moment, but as a minimum he should be putting a shift in and that wasn't evident against WBA.

He did well when he came on against Huddersfield and that is why I suggested he is best employed as an impact Sub - especially in home games.

TimSaint

Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 16:29 - Feb 19 with 472 viewsPatfromPoole

Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 16:17 - Feb 19 by TimSaint

Mara was our most ineffective player at WBA.

He was ok at the start, but as the game progressed:

He struggled to hold the ball up and bring others into play
He didn't make the type of runs you would expect from a Forward
He was reactionary and not up with passing from the rest of the team
His first touch in the opposition's box was woeful
(chest down and run onto it in 1st half)
(just before the 2nd goal, when passed to by Aribo)
He was too lightweight - constantly out-muscled, especially 2nd half
He resorted to throwing himself on the floor to try to get free kicks
His header on target was when the ball hit him on the head !! :-)

I get he isn't an out and out striker and perhaps doesn't know his best position - especially in our current team and with the way we are playing at the moment, but as a minimum he should be putting a shift in and that wasn't evident against WBA.

He did well when he came on against Huddersfield and that is why I suggested he is best employed as an impact Sub - especially in home games.

OK I admit it, I started the Mara song on Friday night.

Nick messaged it to me and asked me to get it going.

Though instead of "Ole" he had "La" at the end of one of the lines and "Our Kid" on another.

I used artistic licence to give it a more Gallic slant.

You can thank me all later.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Time to give Adam Armstrong a rest ? on 16:48 - Feb 19 with 450 viewssaints__fan__73

He went 6 games around Christmas without scoring but after that has hit 4 in 9 so not as good as his early season form but better than any other goal threats we have.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024