Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last Nights Crowd 22:27 - Dec 2 with 2565 viewsSaintNick

A lot of season ticket holders didn't turn up last night, a mixture of covid 19, the cold, but loads in the area where i sit didn't turn up

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Last Nights Crowd on 23:06 - Dec 2 with 2084 viewsPatfromPoole

Itchen North was busy, but from there I could see plenty of empty seats in the Kingsland North blocks. Which is unusual.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Last Nights Crowd on 23:15 - Dec 2 with 2078 viewsgrumpy

Watching football is not the same experience it once was.
Last Nights Crowd on 23:46 - Dec 2 with 2050 viewsSaintsforeverj

The atmosphere last night was flat and quiet, but that's because there were so many empty seats. Many games are just boring Nick. Last night was a game between two teams playing for nothing really. We hope to finish 15th if we are lucky. People are losing interest in what is a completely predictable league. It's like groundhog day every game. If it's on tv, it's almost not worth the petrol for some games. We can blame COVID, but it doesn't stop fans attending at Villa, Newcastle, Everton etc. We are just "surviving" and it's feels like such a battle. Many fans just lose interest unless it's a particularly exciting fixture.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 23:47]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Last Nights Crowd on 05:21 - Dec 3 with 1977 viewsVagina_Dentata

I didn’t go as I’m absolutely riddled with COVID, and couldn’t find anyone to take my season ticket, partly as I only tested positive Wednesday morning.

It’s very easy to setup a free Amazon prime trial, and midweek in December isn’t a great time for a fixture. These are just excuses though and don’t explain the apathy around the club. I can’t find someone interested in taking my ticket for Saturday. Even my old man didn’t want them and he usually snaps them up whenever I can’t go.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Last Nights Crowd on 06:29 - Dec 3 with 1960 viewsPatfromPoole

So would the 27k reported figure include non-attending ST holders????

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Last Nights Crowd on 06:30 - Dec 3 with 1960 viewsSalisburySaint

Last Nights Crowd on 06:29 - Dec 3 by PatfromPoole

Yes
Last Nights Crowd on 07:18 - Dec 3 with 1925 viewssaintwizzler

A lot of people have just been paid the last time before Xmas.
Budgeting now till the end of Jan.

A loads of games in December. Why not put a few extra on at the start or/and end of the season in better weather when people have no Xmas to pay for?

The game was on TV. A lot of people have Amazon Prime. If not £7.99 for a month plus the benefits of Amazon delivery for a month.

People taking time off work.

A non mouth watering fixture.

The price of ticket. £15 or £50 it’s still money.

Can younger kids go on a school night? Late night.

Naughty Boy was doing a challenge in the Welsh Jungle.

Plus we’ve just been dicked at Anfield and the week before lost at the then bottom team.
People are pissed off!

I’m sure tomorrow will be more up to capacity.
Brighton would of sold their end out too.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Last Nights Crowd on 07:22 - Dec 3 with 1920 viewsBerber

Last time I attended a home game against Leicester on a cold, damp midweek evening, it didn't turn out well. It caused me to have second thoughts about going on Wednesday too. But I am glad I went. The game was intriguing, with some neat work from Southampton, and classy, threatening moves from Leicester in the second half.

In the first half, Evans and Soyuncu were much like our CBs, needlessly passing back and forth along the back line even though they had runners making the effort that went unseen. Nice to see that it isn't just us. It would be nice if AM learnt from Schmeicel about distribution. Whilst he had a decent game generally, he is painfully unaware of the opportunities, it seems like he goes into a trance.

I don't think we should read too much into the poor turnout, though it definitely affected the atmosphere. We take far fewer fans to away games and create plenty of noise, so we can't really blame the low attendance though.
Login to get fewer ads

Last Nights Crowd on 10:31 - Dec 3 with 1817 viewspjt50

Last Nights Crowd on 06:29 - Dec 3 by PatfromPoole

The BBC looked at this back in 2018. They calculated there was a 13% difference between the attendances given by Saints & the true figures (although some of the numbers were disputed). I assume nothing's changed.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Last Nights Crowd on 10:42 - Dec 3 with 1805 viewsSaintNick

Last Nights Crowd on 23:46 - Dec 2 by Saintsforeverj

The atmosphere last night was flat and quiet, but that's because there were so many empty seats. Many games are just boring Nick. Last night was a game between two teams playing for nothing really. We hope to finish 15th if we are lucky. People are losing interest in what is a completely predictable league. It's like groundhog day every game. If it's on tv, it's almost not worth the petrol for some games. We can blame COVID, but it doesn't stop fans attending at Villa, Newcastle, Everton etc. We are just "surviving" and it's feels like such a battle. Many fans just lose interest unless it's a particularly exciting fixture.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 23:47]

You are right many games are boring, but this is no different for most of the teams in the Premier League who are playing for absolutely nothing as well.

People dont seem to be losing interest at Brighton, Villa & Everton Leicester, Palace & Wolves for instance who are all in a similar position to us but arent playing to 7,000 empty seats, Wolves had 30,000 for a game against Burnley on the same night for instance.

So what makes our fans different to all the other clubs, ours lose interest whilst the rest seem to keep turning up.

People moan about Saints but we have had some good runs in the past 5 years since Koeman left and had a League cup final, two FA Cup semi finals, so compared to others we have had a shot at glory rather than just survive.

It reminds me of the Claude Puel situation, 8th in the League a league cup final and hampered by the loss of his two central defenders which meant he had to play the rest of the season defensively and cost him his job because the fans were bored.

Last Nights Crowd on 11:06 - Dec 3 with 1780 viewsbarry_sanchez

Last Nights Crowd on 10:42 - Dec 3 by SaintNick

You are right many games are boring, but this is no different for most of the teams in the Premier League who are playing for absolutely nothing as well.

People dont seem to be losing interest at Brighton, Villa & Everton Leicester, Palace & Wolves for instance who are all in a similar position to us but arent playing to 7,000 empty seats, Wolves had 30,000 for a game against Burnley on the same night for instance.

So what makes our fans different to all the other clubs, ours lose interest whilst the rest seem to keep turning up.

People moan about Saints but we have had some good runs in the past 5 years since Koeman left and had a League cup final, two FA Cup semi finals, so compared to others we have had a shot at glory rather than just survive.

It reminds me of the Claude Puel situation, 8th in the League a league cup final and hampered by the loss of his two central defenders which meant he had to play the rest of the season defensively and cost him his job because the fans were bored.

People like winning exciting football thats all there is to it, what were our attendances in League One and the Championship when we were winning, its also to do with trajectories and momentum, we've none and we've no set goals or any aspiration (what goals and aspirations shared with the fans/customers?), things will eventually snap and wain.
This is a slow decline, we can't sell the club, that says all you need to know about the state of it.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Last Nights Crowd on 11:12 - Dec 3 with 1774 viewsElijahK

You say that but many other fans for other teams are fed up/bored, it’s just all down to how many of those teams you named are getting the money, investment, players etc which is attracting many more fans to come and watch. Whilst we on the other hand are ether getting worse and worse (or staying level at best) as we consistently loose our best players but get no investment to buy replacements. I also don’t think that all the diving, VAR, football becoming a non contact sport etc helps the situation much ether, as when you’ve got a league that’s very predictable, combined with loads of things that ruin the sport, and then a team that aren’t doing the greatest and have very little excitement in them, why would you wanna watch a game for like £60 if you’ve not done it for years?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2021 11:16]

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Last Nights Crowd on 11:54 - Dec 3 with 1747 viewsSaintsforeverj

It's probably the lack of hope that does it. We don't have the required quality in our team to get anywhere, and we all know it. I suppose Newcastle now have hope, so the fans turn up. There were 7000 empty seats when Ashley was there, at times. Everton, West Ham, Brighton, Villa invest in their team, so the fans have a bit of hope, that they can compete and possibly win something. Many fans here really have given up with Gao, feel that this league is pointless being in it, and just don't have any hope for success.

And, as mentioned above by another poster, lots of stuff going on. People don't like VAR, the digital era, expensive tickets, leather seats and did you notice the number of places going down pretending to be injured? Then they got straight up when they realised their team was on the attack. Not injured at all, just trying to cheat or wanting attention.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2021 11:58]

Last Nights Crowd on 13:28 - Dec 3 with 1676 views1teeminants

All those teams you mentioned spend more on players than we do and show an intention to actually do something. When was the last time we showed any intention to do anything ?The answer is was When Koeman and Pochetino were here.Yes we’ve had a few good cup runs but I think many are bored with the premier league. we had a decent spell under Lawrie in the 80’s and that’s about it. People aren’t mugs .I can understand why many don’t bother tbh .
[Post edited 3 Dec 2021 13:35]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Last Nights Crowd on 13:41 - Dec 3 with 1661 viewsSaintNick

Last Nights Crowd on 13:28 - Dec 3 by 1teeminants

All those teams you mentioned spend more on players than we do and show an intention to actually do something. When was the last time we showed any intention to do anything ?The answer is was When Koeman and Pochetino were here.Yes we’ve had a few good cup runs but I think many are bored with the premier league. we had a decent spell under Lawrie in the 80’s and that’s about it. People aren’t mugs .I can understand why many don’t bother tbh .
[Post edited 3 Dec 2021 13:35]

They dont spend more on players than us, certainly Brighton don't, Palace dont , when has Saints ever been about money spent.

Koeman spent money, but it was only cash that was received from selling players and at the time most people moaned we were a selling club and ignored the good buy we made.

Pochetino spent £35 million in the one full season he was here, Lovren and Wanyama were good buys but Osvaldo at £15 million was a disaster

What is intention, we looked like we intended to win the League cup in 2017, we looked like we intended to get to the FA Cup final in both 2018 & 2021 which was only last season.

Last Nights Crowd on 14:22 - Dec 3 with 1621 viewssaints__fan__73

That's not accurate re: Puel. Yes we were 8th but it was an odd year as 46 points was good enough for this.

Managers really do live and die by their home form and Puel's home form was awful so I can see why the fans wanted him out. We won SIX of our 19 home games that season and scored 17 goals at SMS all season. Even Hull, who were relegated, managed 8 home wins.

Our home form and goals scored since Koeman left has been awful so can see why attendance is dwindling.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Last Nights Crowd on 17:36 - Dec 3 with 1507 views1teeminants

Last Nights Crowd on 13:41 - Dec 3 by SaintNick

They dont spend more on players than us, certainly Brighton don't, Palace dont , when has Saints ever been about money spent.

Koeman spent money, but it was only cash that was received from selling players and at the time most people moaned we were a selling club and ignored the good buy we made.

Pochetino spent £35 million in the one full season he was here, Lovren and Wanyama were good buys but Osvaldo at £15 million was a disaster

What is intention, we looked like we intended to win the League cup in 2017, we looked like we intended to get to the FA Cup final in both 2018 & 2021 which was only last season.

Palace and Brighton do spend more than us , Palace spend a lot more. Fans like to be excited not look to finish 17 th every season . Wolves spent money and got into Europe, look at Leicester. I remember going to Filbert street in the 70’s and they were no bigger than us with a similar ground. Yes they’re doing well and have gone from a small/ medium size club like us to a large/medium club I bet their fans aren’t dissolusioned, palace are playing exciting football with a new man in charge. Wolves are right up there, Villa are loaded with a new manager . Many, many reasons why these clubs have fans that are happy with the way their clubs are going .

I’m not saying money’s the answer but in most cases it is. I’m just giving reasons why maybe some Saints fans are dissolusioned . fair play to those clubs that have the cash, we haven’t but we’re finding it harder to compete and maybe some fans have lost interest .

I actually think we have a decent fan base considering we are definitely one of the most underachieving premier league clubs.

Last Nights Crowd on 18:02 - Dec 3 with 1488 viewsgrumpy

Last Nights Crowd on 17:36 - Dec 3 by 1teeminants

Palace and Brighton do spend more than us , Palace spend a lot more. Fans like to be excited not look to finish 17 th every season . Wolves spent money and got into Europe, look at Leicester. I remember going to Filbert street in the 70’s and they were no bigger than us with a similar ground. Yes they’re doing well and have gone from a small/ medium size club like us to a large/medium club I bet their fans aren’t dissolusioned, palace are playing exciting football with a new man in charge. Wolves are right up there, Villa are loaded with a new manager . Many, many reasons why these clubs have fans that are happy with the way their clubs are going .

I’m not saying money’s the answer but in most cases it is. I’m just giving reasons why maybe some Saints fans are dissolusioned . fair play to those clubs that have the cash, we haven’t but we’re finding it harder to compete and maybe some fans have lost interest .

I actually think we have a decent fan base considering we are definitely one of the most underachieving premier league clubs.

Guess where the clubs that spend the least are in the table....
Last Nights Crowd on 18:55 - Dec 3 with 1465 viewscocklebreath

Nicks going off on one again, I’m going tomorrow but couldn’t be fooked on Wednesday, Is that okay?

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Last Nights Crowd on 18:57 - Dec 3 with 1465 viewspjt50

Last Nights Crowd on 17:36 - Dec 3 by 1teeminants

Maybe, but why pick Leicester? Look at some of the other clubs in the old First Division in the mid-70s: Derby, Ipswich, Stoke, Sheffield United, Middlesbrough, QPR, Coventry, Birmingham, Luton, Carlisle,... On balance I'd say we've done pretty well.

Sadly we don't have some God-given right to be successful.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Last Nights Crowd on 21:18 - Dec 3 with 1371 viewsgrumpy

Last Nights Crowd on 18:57 - Dec 3 by pjt50

Maybe, but why pick Leicester? Look at some of the other clubs in the old First Division in the mid-70s: Derby, Ipswich, Stoke, Sheffield United, Middlesbrough, QPR, Coventry, Birmingham, Luton, Carlisle,... On balance I'd say we've done pretty well.

'Sadly we don't have some God-given right to be successful'

True, but what's wrong with ambition?
Last Nights Crowd on 22:20 - Dec 3 with 1336 viewspjt50

Last Nights Crowd on 21:18 - Dec 3 by grumpy

It was ambition that got us into trouble in 2006-7.

Last Nights Crowd on 22:27 - Dec 3 with 1326 viewsSaintsforeverj

Last Nights Crowd on 18:55 - Dec 3 by cocklebreath

Nicks going off on one again, I’m going tomorrow but couldn’t be fooked on Wednesday, Is that okay?

It will be a bigger crowd tomorrow than Wednesday. Saturday 3pm kick off, not a derby but a little bit of edge to it. Many people also had to make a choice, either Wednesday game or Saturday as they can't afford both, just before Christmas. Saturday 3pm is always the best time for a football match.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2021 22:27]

Last Nights Crowd on 23:08 - Dec 3 with 1285 views1teeminants

Last Nights Crowd on 18:57 - Dec 3 by pjt50

Let’s just hope we get a decent investor soon which could help us . I’ve seen us win one trophy in 50 years , not too much to ask for really is it .?

Last Nights Crowd on 23:11 - Dec 3 with 1282 viewshedgeend61

Last Nights Crowd on 21:18 - Dec 3 by grumpy

Leeds had ambition early 2000's, took them 17 years to recover.

Little Pompey had big ambitions just over a decade ago, they may never recover.

Be careful what you wish for.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024