Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The reason why Montero isnt starting. 22:52 - Mar 21 with 4481 viewsDanielswan

This is at least my theory.

When playing a "4-2-3-1 narrow" Monk wants a midfield which is versatile and interchangeable. You could even call it a "4-1-4-1 narrow" since Ki, Siggy, Shelvey and Routledge all swap positions with each other to provide surprise and make it harder for the opponents midfield to man mark.

In the above example Cork is the only defensive pillar, Ki and Routledge provide balance ... one being more defensive (Ki) and the other offensive (Routledge).

In this tactical weirdness all 4 midfielders are assist makers and scorers, they all make the deep runs and they are all capable of making the penetrating pass. Gomis is there to pick up the breadcrums in the penalty box and assist in the buildup.

Montero is very much your typical wingert but according to Monk he probably doesnt have the needed vision and positioning to constantly change his role according to gameplay. He would most likely constantly try to seek the left flank leaving the "his" middle of the park empty.

In the above scenario waiting to the last 20 minutes of a game to sub him in makes sence, players are tired and opposition organisation is crumbling ... Montero has the pace to run deep and strike where it hurts by either assisting or scoring. He is not however capable of playing an entire game as a versatile midfielder, in Monks eyes Routledge is better suited for that role.

Half portuguese and half danish, mixing Sagres and Carlsberg is my birthright.
Poll: Style of play.

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 22:57 - Mar 21 with 4464 viewsmidswan

Pretty much agree with that Dan.Ive said similar myself before,Routs has more discipline than Jeff for the system,but what a weapon to bring on late,as per today.
The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 23:09 - Mar 21 with 4429 viewsDanielswan

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 22:57 - Mar 21 by midswan

Pretty much agree with that Dan.Ive said similar myself before,Routs has more discipline than Jeff for the system,but what a weapon to bring on late,as per today.

Here is our current lineup without names as far as I understand it in our last games.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=6ty1d

Missing two arrows up from DL and DR.

[Post edited 21 Mar 2015 23:12]

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 23:36 - Mar 21 with 4360 viewsLeonisGod

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 23:09 - Mar 21 by Danielswan

Here is our current lineup without names as far as I understand it in our last games.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=6ty1d

Missing two arrows up from DL and DR.

[Post edited 21 Mar 2015 23:12]

Depends whether we have the ball or not. When we don't, we're playing with 2 banks of three with Siggy central and furthest forward. Gomis drops out wider on the left. It doesn't look like the classic diamond to me, more a 4330. Which is effective at flooding the midfield and stopping the opposition playing between the lines, but it gives us a lack of options going forward.
The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 23:40 - Mar 21 with 4342 viewsDanielswan

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 23:36 - Mar 21 by LeonisGod

Depends whether we have the ball or not. When we don't, we're playing with 2 banks of three with Siggy central and furthest forward. Gomis drops out wider on the left. It doesn't look like the classic diamond to me, more a 4330. Which is effective at flooding the midfield and stopping the opposition playing between the lines, but it gives us a lack of options going forward.

Yeah, my formation is only refering to the offensive plan ... it would look totally different defensively, actually much like you already described ... a 4-3-3-0

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 00:01 - Mar 22 with 4299 viewsfelixstowe_jack

What is "offensive" play? Who are we offending? Do you mean Attacking Play. This is Football not that strange form of Rugby call American Football.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 00:13 - Mar 22 with 4272 viewsLohengrin

Have Jeff, Leon and Nathan fallen foul of some new FIFA minimum height requirements for a starting eleven?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 00:13 - Mar 22 with 4272 viewsDyfnant

He's paying for giving the ball away cheaply in the games after his injury. Needs to up his work rate next time he starts

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 05:50 - Mar 22 with 4126 viewsteenspirit1009

He will end up leaving this club once he received an offer. He can find a spot on a starting 11 on another team.
Login to get fewer ads

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 06:49 - Mar 22 with 4102 viewsjack247

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 05:50 - Mar 22 by teenspirit1009

He will end up leaving this club once he received an offer. He can find a spot on a starting 11 on another team.

I'm pretty confident he will be back in the team next season.

I agree with Dans analysis, but the main reason we are playing this way IMO is that Gomis is more effective in a front pairing. Routledge floats about and acts as a second striker when we are going forward. Montero is an out and out winger, although he is the best winger at the club, he probably isn't as capable of switching roles during games as Routledge.

I could be miles out, but the way I see it panning out is us trying to move Gomis on in the summer and replace him with a striker more suited to 433. Montero will come in for one of the CMs.
The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 09:11 - Mar 22 with 3982 viewsMattG

Hadn't seen this thread when I posted about Montero in the matchday thread but agree with what's been said. It's also made me think that, rather than just not being all that switched on defensively, perhaps it's Montero's style of play (very much your traditional "whitewash on the boots" type of winger) that makes it more difficult for him to fulfil the defensive roles that GM has in mind.

Hopefully a solution can be found that gets him in the team a bit more.
The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 09:23 - Mar 22 with 3956 viewsPhil_S

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 05:50 - Mar 22 by teenspirit1009

Always amuses me how we bemoan the fact that at times we have no strength in depth and we need better back up but the moment we get that better back up people proclaim he will leave soon if he doesn't get a starting spot
The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 09:52 - Mar 22 with 3901 viewsperchrockjack

Weirdness?

Weird

Its weird we are analysing what we are to be frank.

Weirder still to see some still looking clearly to find sticks to beat Monk with

Weird my asre

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 10:46 - Mar 22 with 3833 viewsdameedna

I'd like to see us start with Cork, Ki, Shelvey and Siggy continue in midfield and bring on Montero and Dyer for the last 30 minutes. We should be able to keep the ball for 60 minutes and then run round a tired opposition. Not sure if it is ever going to happen and did not think I'd see the day when Leon may be a luxury.
The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 16:41 - Mar 22 with 3726 viewsDanielswan

Whats with all the hostility?

"Offensive" is used by many as a different term for "attacking" ... no reason to jump on this.

As for "weird", I like weird .... wasn´t in any way slating Monk, I actually happen to agree with most of his current tactical dispositions since our wingers havn´t performed well recently apart from Montero.

Oooh well ...

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 17:09 - Mar 22 with 3697 viewsDull1Thomas

If Taylor leaves and we bring a consistently good full back Montero won't have to defend so much. IMO Montero will be looking for a move - he's not particularly happy on or off the pitch and has been unsettled most of his career.
Shame as he is so good at what he does.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 20:17 - Mar 22 with 3592 viewsStarsky

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 17:09 - Mar 22 by Dull1Thomas

If Taylor leaves and we bring a consistently good full back Montero won't have to defend so much. IMO Montero will be looking for a move - he's not particularly happy on or off the pitch and has been unsettled most of his career.
Shame as he is so good at what he does.

Taylor's doing ok lately Dull one

It's just the internet, init.

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 21:20 - Mar 22 with 3542 viewsmonmouth

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 09:23 - Mar 22 by Phil_S

Always amuses me how we bemoan the fact that at times we have no strength in depth and we need better back up but the moment we get that better back up people proclaim he will leave soon if he doesn't get a starting spot

And howling about the need for a plan B and then squawking when we have a serviceable and effective plan A and B. having said that I'd quite like to see plan A and B maybe reversed now and again, or plan B, which used to be plan A for a whole game even, or even plan C of getting some folk into the box when we go forward. I'm not complaining really though, what a splendid season it's been.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 22:29 - Mar 22 with 3472 viewsdameedna

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 21:20 - Mar 22 by monmouth

And howling about the need for a plan B and then squawking when we have a serviceable and effective plan A and B. having said that I'd quite like to see plan A and B maybe reversed now and again, or plan B, which used to be plan A for a whole game even, or even plan C of getting some folk into the box when we go forward. I'm not complaining really though, what a splendid season it's been.

Trying to think of when we had a better Plan C.

Laudrup had three wingers playing for a while with Hernandez in the hole and Michu up front which was unplayable at times.

Taking off Siggy and Shelvey with 20 minutes to go is not easy when you are still at 0 - 0 and Villa and Delph are making good in roads.

The return of the 3 wingers and a mobile Gomis should be able to pull teams apart and with Ki and Cork behind we may also stop them scoring for 20 minutes

3 players in Routs, Dyer and Taylor have been struggling with their passing from the wings. When Routs and Dyer come inside they have more freedom to dictate play. As with Gower and Leon etc, they are fast approaching the time when they need to consider playing in midfield. Same with Emnes or a Plan B systems that allows 3 wingers to roam across the front.

Montero and Barrow are the future purist Plan A wingers for the next few seasons

Plan A Two wingers and 3 CMs.
Plan B Diamond - one winger and 4 CMs
Plan C Three Wingers and 2 CMs
The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 22:57 - Mar 22 with 3448 viewsJJJack

The reason why Montero isnt starting. on 09:23 - Mar 22 by Phil_S

I agree. I also find it amusing how people "know" that a player will move on and "start elsewhere". Truly, we live among psychics it seems.....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024