Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
English Football League 17:13 - Nov 12 with 7951 viewsAquinas

http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/football-league-to-be-re-name

Is the change an insult to Welsh football teams in the English football pyramid?
English Football League on 17:20 - Nov 12 with 5886 viewsDarran

No it's not.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

English Football League on 17:34 - Nov 12 with 5868 viewsyescomeon

Don't think it is, it is the English League after all, 5 welsh teams out of 100s doesn't change that.

Upthecity!

English Football League on 17:35 - Nov 12 with 5865 viewsGlyn1

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/12/goodbye-football-league-hello-en

It's for "re-branding purposes" that "all fans will identify with". Good luck with that. I suppose the 'So-Called English Football League" (the SCEFL) isn't as catchy.

It's also historically inaccurate. The Southern League was set up to rival the one in the north and consisted of clubs from both Wales and southern England, and I think that there were several more Welsh clubs that have since gone out of business or been relegated - does anyone have a list of them? Consequently, we and the other Welsh teams became founding members when the leagues merged in the 1920s. So the Welsh clubs are in it by right, not by invitation.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2015 17:38]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

English Football League on 17:45 - Nov 12 with 5843 viewsDr_Winston

If you're the type of person to get insulted by that then you've got bigger problems than the name of a sporting competition.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

English Football League on 18:16 - Nov 12 with 5807 viewsAquinas

Just to clarify I am not in any way offended by the change. I do think it is completely pointless though.
English Football League on 19:06 - Nov 12 with 5754 viewsplasjack

English Football League on 18:16 - Nov 12 by Aquinas

Just to clarify I am not in any way offended by the change. I do think it is completely pointless though.

If any Welsh teams are offended they have a choice to play in the Welsh pyramid, good luck and hope it is CCFC.
English Football League on 19:07 - Nov 12 with 5750 viewsA_Fans_Dad

But suppose they actually make it an "English" league?
English Football League on 19:22 - Nov 12 with 5731 viewsblueytheblue

English Football League on 19:07 - Nov 12 by A_Fans_Dad

But suppose they actually make it an "English" league?

Then they get tied up in court over it.

An injunction could well be sought preventing the FL season from starting; should we and others be expelled compensation / damages sought.

Non-starter and not something that really bothers me much to be honest. The Prem is labelled EPL abroad I seem to recall?

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Login to get fewer ads

English Football League on 19:25 - Nov 12 with 5721 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I think they used to use the name of the sponsor, like Barclay's Premier League, but I am not anymore.
English Football League on 19:32 - Nov 12 with 5705 viewsperchrockjack

Beyond parody.

We need them, they don't need us

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

English Football League on 19:41 - Nov 12 with 5677 viewsplasjack

English Football League on 19:32 - Nov 12 by perchrockjack

Beyond parody.

We need them, they don't need us

Sense at last Perch.
English Football League on 19:45 - Nov 12 with 5665 viewsNeath_Jack

English Football League on 19:41 - Nov 12 by plasjack

Sense at last Perch.

If anyone had actually said that they need us it would be. But they haven't, so it's just Perch doing his normal Wales bashing.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

English Football League on 20:09 - Nov 12 with 5635 viewsplasjack

English Football League on 19:45 - Nov 12 by Neath_Jack

If anyone had actually said that they need us it would be. But they haven't, so it's just Perch doing his normal Wales bashing.

Dont think so ,he sees it as it is.
English Football League on 20:10 - Nov 12 with 5633 viewsDr_Winston

English Football League on 19:45 - Nov 12 by Neath_Jack

Loathe as I am to acknowledge that Perchy has ever had a point, he does here.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

English Football League on 20:15 - Nov 12 with 5624 viewsNeath_Jack

English Football League on 20:10 - Nov 12 by Dr_Winston

Where is the parody in this thread that he's on about then? And the bit about someone saying that the English need us?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

English Football League on 20:41 - Nov 12 with 5597 viewsperchrockjack

Neat hie.

Not sure what a up with ya but it's almost Christmas.

You ain't thick, I dont think, so maybe just read posts .

Winston and I loathe each other but he posts stuff much of which I agree with.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

English Football League on 20:43 - Nov 12 with 5592 viewsNeath_Jack

English Football League on 20:41 - Nov 12 by perchrockjack

Neat hie.

Not sure what a up with ya but it's almost Christmas.

You ain't thick, I dont think, so maybe just read posts .

Winston and I loathe each other but he posts stuff much of which I agree with.

Well, i'm waiting for you or Jobbie to point out where anyone said anything about the English needing us or where the parody is in this thread.

Between the two of you, you should be able to come up with something.

English Football League on 00:08 - Nov 13 with 5507 viewssully49

I agree with all that's been said but we should have the Welsh announcer back all the same. We're in the PL, sorry EPL not because they let us in, we're there by right and they wrote the rules, too.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

English Football League on 01:01 - Nov 13 with 5492 viewsBenJ94

Technically we're not in the football league, so who really cares?
English Football League on 02:27 - Nov 13 with 5474 viewsKilkennyjack

English Football League on 01:01 - Nov 13 by BenJ94

Technically we're not in the football league, so who really cares?

Correct - we are not in it. Some things in life like The Open, Wimbledon, the Ashes, the FA Cup and the Football League are one off iconic names stepped in the very history and tradition of the sport. Instantly recognisable. Unique, world wide, instant, one off recognition. Its a unique branding that professional marketing people would just love. To change it now seems to lose its very essence. Its a bit like being (the second rate) French Open or Indian Grand Prix. So unless the wider branding aspect is compelling, then i would say its a pretty bollux idea.

Beware of the Risen People

English Football League on 08:07 - Nov 13 with 5435 viewsDevz00

You can understand why they've put the 'English' in there. It adds to the marketing power.

I like the idea behind the logo as well with the 72 balls/3 divisions but it reminds me of a washing powder logo.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2015 8:07]

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

English Football League on 17:53 - Nov 13 with 5324 viewsNeiltheTaylor

I'm sure FIFA will be pleased that they are one step closer to forcing "The FA" to give up its name

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

English Football League on 18:41 - Nov 13 with 5295 viewsUxbridge

English Football League on 20:10 - Nov 12 by Dr_Winston

Snap.

It's the English league. There's also a Welsh league. They're welcome to toddle off to that if they're getting precious about it.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

English Football League on 18:44 - Nov 13 with 5292 viewsDarran

I think Neathies on the blob.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

English Football League on 18:45 - Nov 13 with 5288 viewsSwansNZ

English Football League on 19:22 - Nov 12 by blueytheblue

Then they get tied up in court over it.

An injunction could well be sought preventing the FL season from starting; should we and others be expelled compensation / damages sought.

Non-starter and not something that really bothers me much to be honest. The Prem is labelled EPL abroad I seem to recall?

Aye, the Premier League is mostly known as the EPL. If the Football League wants to market itself overseas, it has to market itself as the English Football League or EFL. Football League could be anywhere, and doesn't mean a thing.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024