Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Goals As A Club 12:51 - Dec 10 with 3438 viewsymaohyd

I just wanted to pose a few questions and give my views on a few issues.

A while back I posted that as a fan for many years, every time the Swans win a game in the Premier League I pinch myself. A sarcastic moment came back that I must be black and blue by now! Fair enough I suppose.

I was suggesting that it's all been a wonderful journey, whereas the response indicated that we should be aiming as high as we can and not see ourselves as little old Swansea City just here for the ride.

So with the above in mind what should our goals as a club be?

My own personal views are:

Stadium Expansion - Yes would be great to grow the fan base etc, however I can't see us ever being in the position where we can bank roll the costly amount that it would take. To try and continue to compete, as we are seeing to our cost at the moment takes constant investment, to continue to pay the transfer fees for quality players, wages and put aside money for development isn't going to happen IMO.

Not being a financial person, I'm told that to attract investors we must first buy the stadium, how much is that going to cost?

I'll admit to generally being a glass is half empty person, so on this subject I'd have clarity on the situation and put the whole issue to bed, unless we have a willing contributor who ticks all the boxes.

Our Short/Long Term Goals - A few years ago, I popped down to Landore to look at the development going on. We've had some fantastic moments over the past 10 years but for me seeing what was going on there was every bit as enjoyable, possibly more so and is the true legacy of what this journey has all been about.

So looking at our goals, for me the most important aspect of staying up is to have the finance to complete the infrastructure of the club. Don't forget not long ago we didn't have our own training facilities, shared the changing facilities of a private health club. Back in the 80's I used to watch Toschack's side training on fields where Amazon is now, with people winding windows down of passing cars hurling abuse at Dai Davies!

I can't get over the irony that now we have Fairwood, we are playing the worst football that we have done for years. We must, however, continue to develop the facilities particularly the academy. That takes precedence over stadium expansion IMO.

As daft as it sounds, ultimately relegation wouldn't bother me, whenever that happens. I really don't want that to happen this season though, for the reasons above. We need the finance to finish everything off, bank a sizeable chunk to ensure that those employed in the academy can continue in their roles for the foreseeable future should we eventually go down.

Garry Monk and the next manager - Sadly, Garry had to go, gutted, particularly as a club legend like him has to be sacrificed and some of these over paid, prima donna players, remain, gut wrenching! It is what it is though.

I'll not make myself popular here and say that if Pullis was available he'd be my choice. Moyes is my preferred choice at the moment. The football we have played under Martinez, Rodgers, particularly under Laudrup and sometimes under Monk has been sublime.

Personally, for this season alone I think it is imperative to stay up, for the money. We need a man to come in with his own team, with experience of the PL, hit the ground running and keep us up. If we were in the Championship I'd go along with the thoughts of many to go foreign and have an Ajax esq, philosophy. IMO this isn't the time or place, to employ someone with little PL experience.

So the next 20 years, what do we want, my vision -

1. Employ a manager who will keep us up for this season.
2. Complete the infrastructure.
3. Maintain the infrastructure.
4. If we get relegated make sure that we don't do a Leeds, Bolton, whoever. We must maintain our place in the Championship. Might seem a meagre goal, however it can easily go completely ti ts up and at all costs we must avoid that. People forget that our DNA is that we have spent the majority of our history in the bottom two leagues.
5. Ultimately through developing the structure go back to creating our own identity - the Swansea Way.

Finally..Thoughts on the Premier League.

Great moments, great stadiums, great money. Unfortunately it comes with a bunch of overpaid prima donnas, who, if we go down, couldn't give a toss about our club (unlike Garry Monk).

The majority of us will still be watching from the stands, i'm sure we'll be a very distant memory as Gomis sits in the South of France counting his money!

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Our Goals As A Club on 12:55 - Dec 10 with 3421 viewsdickythorpe

Finish 17th, kick out the wasters
Our Goals As A Club on 13:16 - Dec 10 with 3383 viewsplasjack

Our Goals As A Club on 12:55 - Dec 10 by dickythorpe

Stay up recruit another set of flops.
Our Goals As A Club on 13:26 - Dec 10 with 3354 viewstrampie

Nice opening post.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Our Goals As A Club on 13:38 - Dec 10 with 3341 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Our Goals As A Club on 12:55 - Dec 10 by dickythorpe

Look at why we have the wasters and put strategies in place to minimise the recruitment of even more wasters.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Our Goals As A Club on 13:42 - Dec 10 with 3323 viewsDevz00

6. Win the FA Cup

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024