Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Midfield 19:05 - Nov 1 with 5633 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Seriously gone backwards over the last few years

we don't move it quickly enough, we're not willing to take the ball under pressure and we have very little fight for a tackle

We used to control games by being strong through the middle.....and that sometimes included Mark Gower and Kemy Agustein

Although I thought Ki did ok last night as a unit we have been weak for a long time

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Midfield on 12:47 - Nov 2 with 1331 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Ki is also not the answer as he passes back too often, in the stoke game practically every time he had the ball he passed it back to VDH (17 times), sideways to Fer(8 times) and only 7 times to Sigi.
And Fer was no better, back to Mawson 11 times, to VDH 10 times .

See
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2016/matches/855267
Midfield on 13:50 - Nov 2 with 1298 viewsjasper_T

Oh no, not a backward pass! How horrifying!
Midfield on 13:53 - Nov 2 with 1291 viewslondonlisa2001

Midfield on 12:47 - Nov 2 by A_Fans_Dad

Ki is also not the answer as he passes back too often, in the stoke game practically every time he had the ball he passed it back to VDH (17 times), sideways to Fer(8 times) and only 7 times to Sigi.

See

I thought Ki played quite well on Monday - certainly compared to the others.

What that stat doesn't show is the number of times he received the ball and took it (and the whole team) 30 yards further up the pitch before passing it back or sideways to a team mate who was similarly 30 yards further up the pitch.
Midfield on 13:55 - Nov 2 with 1289 viewsLegend83

See

Barrow's stats - LOL
Midfield on 17:19 - Nov 2 with 1239 viewsGriffting

See

I mean, you can't exactly pick a pass that's not there. Well, you can if you're 42 million pound Mesut Ozil. The lack of fluidity in our attack is probably one of the most worrying things. Look at stoke, Allen popping up everywhere, Bony dropping deep, arnatovic making diagonal runs in behind, as well as coming inside, that Egyptian winger popping up in the middle of the park and threading the ball through to for Allen to turn and face the back four. Adam hitting balls from deep. They were everywhere in fairness. We need more of that.
Midfield on 02:59 - Nov 4 with 1172 viewsAussieSwan

It beggars belief that we did not sign Allen. If the rumours are true, had we got Allen then Ash would have stayed. Would we be in this mess now? I think not.

It also beggars belief that we (apparently) knocked back £7m for Ki, only to think Allen is only worth £8m and refuse to pay the £10m Liverpool wanted pre-Euros. So Allen or Ki - I know who I'd rather.

Many forum members on here also said they think we made the right call not signing Allen - where are they now?

Huw should hang his head in shame. He's been taking our club backwards for a long time and seems to be getting worse. I'm sorry but he has to go.

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Midfield on 09:09 - Nov 4 with 1142 viewsjasper_T

Ash would've gone regardless imo. It was his last chance to step up to a bigger club.
Midfield on 09:51 - Nov 4 with 1124 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Midfield on 13:53 - Nov 2 by londonlisa2001

I thought Ki played quite well on Monday - certainly compared to the others.

What that stat doesn't show is the number of times he received the ball and took it (and the whole team) 30 yards further up the pitch before passing it back or sideways to a team mate who was similarly 30 yards further up the pitch.

"all and took it (and the whole team) "
Before making a talking about it just have a look at Ki's passing, practically all his backward passing were on OUR side of the halfway line, just 3 were in the opposition half.
I didn't say he didn't have a better game, for him, just that he and Fer did not feed the front men enough.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2016 10:30]
Login to get fewer ads

Midfield on 10:22 - Nov 4 with 1100 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Midfield on 17:19 - Nov 2 by Griffting

I mean, you can't exactly pick a pass that's not there. Well, you can if you're 42 million pound Mesut Ozil. The lack of fluidity in our attack is probably one of the most worrying things. Look at stoke, Allen popping up everywhere, Bony dropping deep, arnatovic making diagonal runs in behind, as well as coming inside, that Egyptian winger popping up in the middle of the park and threading the ball through to for Allen to turn and face the back four. Adam hitting balls from deep. They were everywhere in fairness. We need more of that.

Spot on.

442 stats are not the way to analyse a game. They can be a useful tool but there is so much more to it than that.

As you say, lack of movement in our team is a huge problem. It's so easy to blame the ball carrier for playing the ball backwards or sideways when he has no other option if we want to retain possession because there's no movement ahead of him.

Rodgers and Laudrup's teams passed and moved, passed and moved and passed and moved again, always probing for an opening. Players looked for space and moved into it so that the ball carrier had options every time. Since then we've become a static team easily marked and nullified. Our only weapons appear to be Barrow and Montero beating players on the outside and crossing. Unfortunately it's an easy weapon to combat and, in any case, the final ball from both of them is very poor.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024