Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
January 00:19 - Dec 15 with 4914 viewsEilian

If you had to choose between changing the manager or signing 3 new players on Jan 1st then which would you choose?

Let's say that you had a transfer budget of £15M. You could spend it all on one player and get one free transfer and a loan or any combination of those. But strictly only 3 players.

What do you do?
January on 12:12 - Dec 15 with 984 viewsyeoviljackb

Having choice of either is not good - without doubt need both. Bob should go - seems a nice guy but out of his depth - but unlikely Yanks will get rid. Signings definitely - at least one creative midfielder and a beast at DM or CH. But who will come to a club potentially getting relegated - maybe a good loan deal?
January on 12:33 - Dec 15 with 964 viewsMatlock_Jack

January on 09:08 - Dec 15 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

We'll bring Emnes, Bartley and Grimes back, which according to Huw will be like 'new signings'.

He'll then state he's happy with the squad, apologise in May when we're relegated and continue to pick up his £500,000 a year (on top of his millions from shafting the club).

No idea if what you say will come true...

However, I used to think Emnes was good enough for the Premiership (anyone seen where Blackburn are in the Championship, incidentally?) On hard reflection, I now feel he isn't and ditto Bartley. Grimes I don't know about, but whatever he's achieved at Elland Road, the Premiership brings extra intensity.

That said, we could well be a Championship side next season ourselves.

Come January, we'll probably end up with some young hopefuls on loan; that's my feeling. I would love to believe that money will be spent and real quality acquired, but I just can't see it.
January on 12:44 - Dec 15 with 955 viewsJango

January on 10:53 - Dec 15 by union_jack

Yes he had Defoe. But if he didn't, he may have brought in A N Other. Would you then be saying if it wasn't for A N Other they'd have been relegated?

I'm not agreeing / disagreeing with you on Allerdyce but your point is easily argued against.

We could bring in guardiola and we wouldn't be able to attract a 20 goal a season striker in the position we are in. So Sam allardyce won't be able to and wouldn't have been able to at Sunderland.
January on 12:48 - Dec 15 with 950 viewsJango

January on 11:07 - Dec 15 by jack247

If Sunderland didn't have Defoe last season, but did have Gylfi, Leon, Fabianski and Llorente, I'm sure they would have been fine

Like we are fine this season? Let's be honest, siggy has had 2 good games and fabianski has been shambolic for the most part. Win on Saturday and we are still in there fighting. Anyone who thinks we should be comfortably mid table with the squad we've got is deluded. We're gonna win some and lose some. West brom are pretty formidable at home this season
January on 12:53 - Dec 15 with 941 viewsblueytheblue

Manager or players?

A new manager can inspire an entire squad. What are you going to do player wise? Bring in 11 players, so Bradley has his own side?

Poll: Alternate POTY final

January on 13:00 - Dec 15 with 928 viewsJango

January on 12:53 - Dec 15 by blueytheblue

Manager or players?

A new manager can inspire an entire squad. What are you going to do player wise? Bring in 11 players, so Bradley has his own side?

Guidolin couldn't inspire them and now bob can't either. There's a pattern emerging. Bring in another manager and Taylor, Routledge, montero, Rangel, Naughton, Amat (the list goes on) won't be good enough. We struggled last year and instead of inproving we sold 2 of our best players.
January on 13:05 - Dec 15 with 920 viewsjack247

January on 12:48 - Dec 15 by Jango

Like we are fine this season? Let's be honest, siggy has had 2 good games and fabianski has been shambolic for the most part. Win on Saturday and we are still in there fighting. Anyone who thinks we should be comfortably mid table with the squad we've got is deluded. We're gonna win some and lose some. West brom are pretty formidable at home this season

Sunderland would have been down with a record low points total if Bob Bradley had been managing them last season
January on 13:22 - Dec 15 with 906 viewsblueytheblue

January on 13:00 - Dec 15 by Jango

Guidolin couldn't inspire them and now bob can't either. There's a pattern emerging. Bring in another manager and Taylor, Routledge, montero, Rangel, Naughton, Amat (the list goes on) won't be good enough. We struggled last year and instead of inproving we sold 2 of our best players.

Ok, so you list 6 players.

Would you rather spent X million on 6 replacements Bradley wants given he's out of his depth or get a manager who can get the best out of what's there?

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Login to get fewer ads

January on 14:07 - Dec 15 with 881 viewsjack247

January on 13:00 - Dec 15 by Jango

There is no doubt we weakened an already weak squad in the summer. Bringing Bob in was taking the piss though. A decent manager would struggle with it, a vanity project was always likely to go belly up.

I'm not sure what the thinking was. Presumably they assumed/were told the squad was good enough to stay up without Ayew and Ash, regardless of who was in charge
January on 16:44 - Dec 15 with 841 viewsQuakerJack

So the question really is just, whose fault is this?

Bradleys... Id rather he went, he'll just sign Chad Anderson from Chipowa Lightning Bolts and that'll be us gone... If we have a decent manager who can get the best out of the players then we have a fighting chance... If you give Bradley double that he'll still take us down

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

January on 19:49 - Dec 15 with 815 viewsJango

January on 13:22 - Dec 15 by blueytheblue

Ok, so you list 6 players.

Would you rather spent X million on 6 replacements Bradley wants given he's out of his depth or get a manager who can get the best out of what's there?

I keep hearing he's out of his depth but is he really? We have won our last 2 home games, we lost last night to the in form home team in the league! Considering the state of our squad, I don't see that as a disaster. We have Middlesbrough away Saturday, if we can get something there going into our 2 home games then I'd say we are in a better position than I could have possibly hoped for when I was looking at things going into the Everton game. I seen a number of fans suggesting on this site that we need at least 18 points by the end of the palace game on the 4th january to give us a fighting chance. We've got 4 games to get the 6 points to reach that target, if we get those then I'd say Bradley has done a cracking job.
January on 19:55 - Dec 15 with 809 viewsharryhpalmer

January on 19:49 - Dec 15 by Jango

I keep hearing he's out of his depth but is he really? We have won our last 2 home games, we lost last night to the in form home team in the league! Considering the state of our squad, I don't see that as a disaster. We have Middlesbrough away Saturday, if we can get something there going into our 2 home games then I'd say we are in a better position than I could have possibly hoped for when I was looking at things going into the Everton game. I seen a number of fans suggesting on this site that we need at least 18 points by the end of the palace game on the 4th january to give us a fighting chance. We've got 4 games to get the 6 points to reach that target, if we get those then I'd say Bradley has done a cracking job.

well I hope we are keeping a close eye on the Gary Rowett situation.

He's done remarkable work in the last few seasons, with absolutely no money.

Was sacked for non-footballing reasons by the new owners, according to Pat Murphy, who described the decision as madness.

Poll: Who do you want as next Manager?

January on 19:56 - Dec 15 with 806 viewsjack247

January on 19:49 - Dec 15 by Jango

Getting to 18 points by January isn't doing a cracking job, it's absolutely scraping the minimum required to have a chance at not getting relegated. I know he hasn't been here all season, but would you have been happy with 8 points from the time he came in until now?
January on 20:05 - Dec 15 with 803 viewsRancid

I think there'll be someone else in to dip into the loan market come January.I'd like to think whoever it is has been studying us for the last few games and we're well underway in talks with players.We won't spend.I can see Baston going back to Spain on loan and us signing another striker and a midfielder who can pick a pass.I'd love to see our Fullbacks changed but I can't see that happening while there's still a bit left in the tank with Rangel.

It won't happen but someone busy like Paloschi would be a good signing for us.At least he made quick runs and would keep defenders guessing.

Back to Bob, I don't think he'd know where to start choosing the correct players required.Someone like Fat Allardyce would have 4 or 5 players interested in coming here already.
January on 20:26 - Dec 15 with 789 viewsJango

January on 19:56 - Dec 15 by jack247

Getting to 18 points by January isn't doing a cracking job, it's absolutely scraping the minimum required to have a chance at not getting relegated. I know he hasn't been here all season, but would you have been happy with 8 points from the time he came in until now?

It's not ideal but it is what it is, we are still in the mix and considering we are crap it's got to be a positive if we are still there come January. Don't forget most people were happy with guidolins 4 points from 8 games
January on 20:32 - Dec 15 with 729 viewsJango

January on 20:05 - Dec 15 by Rancid

I think there'll be someone else in to dip into the loan market come January.I'd like to think whoever it is has been studying us for the last few games and we're well underway in talks with players.We won't spend.I can see Baston going back to Spain on loan and us signing another striker and a midfielder who can pick a pass.I'd love to see our Fullbacks changed but I can't see that happening while there's still a bit left in the tank with Rangel.

It won't happen but someone busy like Paloschi would be a good signing for us.At least he made quick runs and would keep defenders guessing.

Back to Bob, I don't think he'd know where to start choosing the correct players required.Someone like Fat Allardyce would have 4 or 5 players interested in coming here already.

Sam allardyce signed 4 players for Sunderland last January, Kone, Khazri, Ndoye and Kirchhoff. 3 of those signings have been absolutely terrible for Sunderland. Let's not pretend allardyce is a genius in the transfer market
January on 20:33 - Dec 15 with 723 viewsjack247

January on 20:26 - Dec 15 by Jango

It's not ideal but it is what it is, we are still in the mix and considering we are crap it's got to be a positive if we are still there come January. Don't forget most people were happy with guidolins 4 points from 8 games

No one was saying he was doing a cracking job. Some people, including me, thought there was a noticeable upturn in performances towards the end when he worked out a starting eleven and playing style to suit his players. Bob hasn't really managed either in 9 games.

Semantics I know, but Guidolin was sacked after 7 games.
January on 20:48 - Dec 15 with 717 viewsRancid

January on 20:32 - Dec 15 by Jango

Sam allardyce signed 4 players for Sunderland last January, Kone, Khazri, Ndoye and Kirchhoff. 3 of those signings have been absolutely terrible for Sunderland. Let's not pretend allardyce is a genius in the transfer market

Well they ended staying up.12 points after 17 games and 19th at Christmas 2015.And signing 4 players is what we need and would get under Allardyce.I don't personally like the man but he'd be someone who would shake things up down here and where we might lack in quality we wouldn't see Montero ambling around the park like he did the other night.
January on 20:58 - Dec 15 with 704 viewsjack247

January on 20:32 - Dec 15 by Jango

He isn't. I don't think he ever has been. What he is very, very good at is tightening up defences and nicking games 1-0. His teams will get the odd spanking, but he will do well in the six pointers. Seeing as we have conceded 3+ goals in 6 of Bobs 9 games and weren't exactly impenetrable under Guidolin, those managerial qualities would be priceless to us.
January on 21:36 - Dec 15 with 678 viewsJango

January on 20:48 - Dec 15 by Rancid

Well they ended staying up.12 points after 17 games and 19th at Christmas 2015.And signing 4 players is what we need and would get under Allardyce.I don't personally like the man but he'd be someone who would shake things up down here and where we might lack in quality we wouldn't see Montero ambling around the park like he did the other night.

On 9 October 2015, Allardyce was named the new Sunderland manager, replacing Dick Advocaat.[174] When Allardyce was appointed, Sunderland sat 19th in the Premier League table with three points from their first eight games of the season.[174] Signing a two-year contract, he became the first manager to have managed both Newcastle United and Sunderland. On 25 October, in his second game as manager, he guided Sunderland to a 3—0 win against rivals and his former club Newcastle United.[175] However, after a run of 5 defeats in a row in December, Sunderland headed into the second half of the season in the relegation zone with only 12 points from 19 games.[17

after reading this I think you'll agree that Bradley is already doing a better job with us than Allardyce done in his first 3 months with Sunderland. You'll try and put a different spin on things but facts speak for themselves
January on 21:42 - Dec 15 with 670 viewsRancid

January on 21:36 - Dec 15 by Jango

On 9 October 2015, Allardyce was named the new Sunderland manager, replacing Dick Advocaat.[174] When Allardyce was appointed, Sunderland sat 19th in the Premier League table with three points from their first eight games of the season.[174] Signing a two-year contract, he became the first manager to have managed both Newcastle United and Sunderland. On 25 October, in his second game as manager, he guided Sunderland to a 3—0 win against rivals and his former club Newcastle United.[175] However, after a run of 5 defeats in a row in December, Sunderland headed into the second half of the season in the relegation zone with only 12 points from 19 games.[17

after reading this I think you'll agree that Bradley is already doing a better job with us than Allardyce done in his first 3 months with Sunderland. You'll try and put a different spin on things but facts speak for themselves

You missed this bit out

'after beating Everton 3—0 on 11 May, a result which also ensured the relegation of rivals (and one of his former clubs) Newcastle United.[183] Allardyce earned praise for his management of Sunderland from some pundits, particularly for his organized approach and emphasis on a strong defence.[184]

And again they survived.I'm guessing you think Bob might be here come January, or hope so? Or is there someone else you think might steer the ship?Apologies, if you're already said who on the thread.
January on 21:54 - Dec 15 with 655 viewsJango

January on 21:42 - Dec 15 by Rancid

You missed this bit out

'after beating Everton 3—0 on 11 May, a result which also ensured the relegation of rivals (and one of his former clubs) Newcastle United.[183] Allardyce earned praise for his management of Sunderland from some pundits, particularly for his organized approach and emphasis on a strong defence.[184]

And again they survived.I'm guessing you think Bob might be here come January, or hope so? Or is there someone else you think might steer the ship?Apologies, if you're already said who on the thread.

I missed that bit out because we and Bob haven't got to May yet. My point being is most people want Bradley out for Allardyce but when Allardyce took over Sunderland in pretty much identical circumstances he done a worse job than Bradley is currently doing in his first 3 months.
I just think changing the manager is utterly pointless at this stage and people suggesting Allardyce should look at this as an example of what happens when a new manager is given time
January on 22:16 - Dec 15 with 636 viewsRancid

January on 21:54 - Dec 15 by Jango

I missed that bit out because we and Bob haven't got to May yet. My point being is most people want Bradley out for Allardyce but when Allardyce took over Sunderland in pretty much identical circumstances he done a worse job than Bradley is currently doing in his first 3 months.
I just think changing the manager is utterly pointless at this stage and people suggesting Allardyce should look at this as an example of what happens when a new manager is given time

I'd want Allardyce just for who he'd bring in and to see him bang a few heads down here.We wouldn't be lacklustre under him.I just can't see us having the impetus to knock on under Bradley.Someone like Allardyce would be like a shot in the arm and there'd be a reaction from the players.If we do stick with Bradley I hope he has the pulling power to attract players outside of North America.
January on 22:22 - Dec 15 with 626 viewsJango

January on 22:16 - Dec 15 by Rancid

I'd want Allardyce just for who he'd bring in and to see him bang a few heads down here.We wouldn't be lacklustre under him.I just can't see us having the impetus to knock on under Bradley.Someone like Allardyce would be like a shot in the arm and there'd be a reaction from the players.If we do stick with Bradley I hope he has the pulling power to attract players outside of North America.

That's my point tho, Allardyce didn't make any sort of impact at Sunderland for the first 3 to 4 months, Bradley has had a better start for us than Allardyce did for Sunderland.
January on 22:31 - Dec 15 with 618 viewsRancid

January on 22:22 - Dec 15 by Jango

That's my point tho, Allardyce didn't make any sort of impact at Sunderland for the first 3 to 4 months, Bradley has had a better start for us than Allardyce did for Sunderland.

Do you think that Bob Bradley has a better chance of keeping us up than Sam Allardyce would? He might have had a better start than Allardyce but lets face it it was hardly noticeable.It's the second half of the season that counts now and we've got an awful squad with an American in charge who's like a dwarf in the NBA.I don't fancy our chances with this fella and I don't think he'll attract the players that someone like Allardyce could and it won't involve Huw Jenkins either.It's shit or bust come January.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024