Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Break up of the UK 19:32 - Mar 27 with 3664 viewstrampie

The days of the UK might be numbered, in the short to medium term Scotland might get independence, N.Ireland might unite with the Republic of Ireland, leaving just England and Wales, the English have flooded Wales making Welsh independence a long shot at this point in time but in the long term English white flighters might not want anything to do with rule from their old homeland as other non indigenous groups gain more influence, its been suggested overseas immigration in some cases is sometimes an issue resulting in English white flight from large cities, concerns about overseas immigration was said to have played a large part in the Brexit vote, Welsh independence might be gained in time through English immigrants and not just Welsh nationalists.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2017 19:38]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Break up of the UK on 10:38 - Apr 2 with 359 viewslondonlisa2001

Break up of the UK on 10:25 - Apr 2 by sherpajacob

Indeed, The PM of Gibraltar said to May when she became PM that we need a deal that keeps them in the single market.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-gibraltar-seeks-eu

Just like her negotiations with the devolved governments, she completely ignored his request.

If you need to blame someone for the Gibraltar situation, it's not the EU or Spain.

The real difficulty is that May isn't to blame either. Despite public posturing, it's fairly apparent that they've spent the last 9 months talking extensively behind the scenes, and the worst fears of those of us who warned that the UK just didn't have the strength that morons like Farage claimed, are largely true. To some extent she's playing the cards she's been dealt. The government needed to say after seeing the lie of the land "we know you voted for it, but we have realised that there is no deal that we can make which we genuinely believe to be in the best interests of the UK, so we are not prepared to trigger the process to leave the EU" and call an immediate general election.

The downside of doing that is that they couldn't rely on Labour being grown up and supporting them without trying to make political capital about it. If the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems had stood together they could have got away with it - leave serial fantasists like Nuttall moan away on his own, and it would have been over.

Before anyone starts - no, I don't believe that we should ignore democracy. However, I don't believe that we should absolutely screw the country by implementing a policy that is increasingly obviously damaging.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2017 10:40]
Break up of the UK on 10:53 - Apr 2 with 337 viewsunion_jack

Break up of the UK on 10:38 - Apr 2 by londonlisa2001

The real difficulty is that May isn't to blame either. Despite public posturing, it's fairly apparent that they've spent the last 9 months talking extensively behind the scenes, and the worst fears of those of us who warned that the UK just didn't have the strength that morons like Farage claimed, are largely true. To some extent she's playing the cards she's been dealt. The government needed to say after seeing the lie of the land "we know you voted for it, but we have realised that there is no deal that we can make which we genuinely believe to be in the best interests of the UK, so we are not prepared to trigger the process to leave the EU" and call an immediate general election.

The downside of doing that is that they couldn't rely on Labour being grown up and supporting them without trying to make political capital about it. If the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems had stood together they could have got away with it - leave serial fantasists like Nuttall moan away on his own, and it would have been over.

Before anyone starts - no, I don't believe that we should ignore democracy. However, I don't believe that we should absolutely screw the country by implementing a policy that is increasingly obviously damaging.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2017 10:40]

On that score, is the triggering of A5 irrevocable? I believe that it may be.

How that will affect the country is another question. There'd be anarchy!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Break up of the UK on 11:00 - Apr 2 with 329 viewsexiledclaseboy

Break up of the UK on 10:53 - Apr 2 by union_jack

There's no mechanism for reversing Article 50, only for extending the two year negotiation period. That said, if the will was there on both sides, I'm sure they'd find a way.

Poll: Tory leader

Break up of the UK on 11:01 - Apr 2 with 328 viewslondonlisa2001

Break up of the UK on 10:53 - Apr 2 by union_jack

I don't think it is - they said this week it can be withdrawn.

I agree with your second point. I believe it has to be followed through now, but they should have had some balls before it got to this.

Cameron has a lot to answer for, as does Johnson. Pair of pathetic, squabbling, over entitled prats. Farage also falls into that description, but he never had any power, so it's the other two that should be lambasted.
Break up of the UK on 11:03 - Apr 2 with 326 viewslondonlisa2001

Break up of the UK on 11:00 - Apr 2 by exiledclaseboy

There's no mechanism for reversing Article 50, only for extending the two year negotiation period. That said, if the will was there on both sides, I'm sure they'd find a way.

Tusk (I think) said this week that we could withdraw it at any point up to the last second.
Break up of the UK on 11:09 - Apr 2 with 318 viewsexiledclaseboy

Break up of the UK on 11:03 - Apr 2 by londonlisa2001

Tusk (I think) said this week that we could withdraw it at any point up to the last second.

Was that right after he said "missing you already"?

There's no mention of withdrawal of the notification in A50 but as I said, if there's a will. There's no precedent and A50 is vaguely written cos no one expected it to ever be invoked. They can pretty much make it up on the fly, which is handy given that's what everyone's doing anyway.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2017 11:13]

Break up of the UK on 11:19 - Apr 2 with 295 viewsunion_jack

Break up of the UK on 11:09 - Apr 2 by exiledclaseboy

Was that right after he said "missing you already"?

There's no mention of withdrawal of the notification in A50 but as I said, if there's a will. There's no precedent and A50 is vaguely written cos no one expected it to ever be invoked. They can pretty much make it up on the fly, which is handy given that's what everyone's doing anyway.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2017 11:13]

I heard the same as Lisa, that it could be reversed at any time.

As I said though, the consequences within the UK would be cataclysmic.

And Lisa is right. Cameron should NEVER have put this to the people until both sides of the argument were as plain as day.

Informed decision? Anything but.

Break up of the UK on 11:21 - Apr 2 with 294 viewsexiledclaseboy

Break up of the UK on 11:19 - Apr 2 by union_jack

I heard the same as Lisa, that it could be reversed at any time.

As I said though, the consequences within the UK would be cataclysmic.

And Lisa is right. Cameron should NEVER have put this to the people until both sides of the argument were as plain as day.

Informed decision? Anything but.

I'd genuinely had you down as a Brexiteer for some reason. Must be the union flag avatar.

Login to get fewer ads

Break up of the UK on 11:27 - Apr 2 with 278 viewswaynekerr55

Break up of the UK on 11:21 - Apr 2 by exiledclaseboy

I'd genuinely had you down as a Brexiteer for some reason. Must be the union flag avatar.

You bloody cynic you 😂

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Break up of the UK on 11:29 - Apr 2 with 278 viewsunion_jack

Break up of the UK on 11:21 - Apr 2 by exiledclaseboy

Read my third paragraph again then come to your conclusion.

Honestly, I don't know. Yes, I voted out but I've had serious doubts from that time onwards.

I would have felt much the same I'd voted remain.

I think we need to ride the next few weeks when threats (and that's what they'll be) are being thrown around like confetti and see where the land lies.

Maybe, just maybe when the land settles and we have a clear, objective vision of the future, a second referendum could be called. Because the issues put forward before this referendum were nowhere near enough good enough to make a balanced decision.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

Break up of the UK on 11:34 - Apr 2 with 272 viewsexiledclaseboy

Break up of the UK on 11:29 - Apr 2 by union_jack

Read my third paragraph again then come to your conclusion.

Honestly, I don't know. Yes, I voted out but I've had serious doubts from that time onwards.

I would have felt much the same I'd voted remain.

I think we need to ride the next few weeks when threats (and that's what they'll be) are being thrown around like confetti and see where the land lies.

Maybe, just maybe when the land settles and we have a clear, objective vision of the future, a second referendum could be called. Because the issues put forward before this referendum were nowhere near enough good enough to make a balanced decision.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

I almost completely agree with you. There's a strong argument for whatever deal we end up with to be put to the electorate either at a general election or another referendum. "You voted to leave the EU, this is what it'll look like. Do you still want to leave the EU?"

I've even saved the Electoral Commission a job there look.

Break up of the UK on 11:40 - Apr 2 with 262 viewsunion_jack

Break up of the UK on 11:34 - Apr 2 by exiledclaseboy

I almost completely agree with you. There's a strong argument for whatever deal we end up with to be put to the electorate either at a general election or another referendum. "You voted to leave the EU, this is what it'll look like. Do you still want to leave the EU?"

I've even saved the Electoral Commission a job there look.

Makes sense.

Maybe this is something they've got up their sleeve, but I doubt it.

Ah well, bigger things to worry about. Will we get three points today is my current fear!
[Post edited 2 Apr 2017 11:40]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024