Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£10 minimum wage 16:22 - Jun 7 with 11291 viewspremierjack

Sorry if this has been posted on here before.

I'm not great on these political issues so thought I would ask you lot because I would like to use my vote so....

If labour put the minimum wage up to £10 an hour, wouldnt shops, businesses etc just put their prices up so the people earning more than £10 per hour at the moment be worse off? Also wouldn't it deskill some jobs that need qualifications and good education? For example, if someone was on £11 per hr, it may be worth quitting and doing a less stressful, less challenging job for only £1 an hour less?

This post has been edited by an administrator
£10 minimum wage on 18:47 - Jun 7 with 1747 viewsblueytheblue

£10 minimum wage on 18:34 - Jun 7 by Lord_Bony

If you are the owner of a business then you are entitled to take out whatever money you want at any time...

It's your money at the end of the day.

It's the businesses money, not your money...

It's up to the owner and director(s) to determine salary levels etc mind...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

£10 minimum wage on 18:48 - Jun 7 with 1747 viewsLord_Bony

£10 minimum wage on 18:36 - Jun 7 by jojaca

The working class need a big pay rise, should be more than £10. The equality gap is getting bigger and bigger, lets close that gap.

No you are wrong.

Increasing the minimum wage is a lazy fix and will have an adverse effect.

What a good government would do would be to find ways of increasing the amount of money in all our pockets.

They could start by making a big reduction n Vat for starters...anyone remember the 15% rate not so long ago? Could go below that again would make a huge difference.

And how about wasting countless billions on foreign wars and Trident and giving some of that money back to the working classes instead of making employers pay more.
Just a thought .

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

£10 minimum wage on 18:50 - Jun 7 with 1745 viewsblueytheblue

£10 minimum wage on 18:47 - Jun 7 by Jango

That's fair enough, but it's also fair enough to expect as the owner, to pay their staff that bit extra if they are taking out 50 to 100 times more in some cases. It comes down to greed. If you've got a small business of say 10 staff, it's not right that they should be say earning £12k - £15k a year for the owner to then earn say rediculous amounts.

Why is it "not right"?

If those staff are getting what is the market rate or there abouts for the role they perform...

£10 minimum wage on 18:50 - Jun 7 with 1742 viewsLord_Bony

£10 minimum wage on 18:47 - Jun 7 by blueytheblue

It's the businesses money, not your money...

It's up to the owner and director(s) to determine salary levels etc mind...

It depends what trading entity the business is.

If your a sole trader/owner it's your money to do with as you please.

You are accountable to no one.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

£10 minimum wage on 18:51 - Jun 7 with 1740 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The students pay for their beer Perch.

Just not for their education.

Greed rules .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

£10 minimum wage on 18:51 - Jun 7 with 1740 viewsKilkennyjack

A minimum wage is a good thing, of course.
A living wage is a better thing, of course.

Stop bad businesses exploiting their workers.

Thank you.

Beware of the Risen People

£10 minimum wage on 18:53 - Jun 7 with 1736 viewsbuilthjack

£10 @ 37 hours per week is £19,200 per year gross.
Not much when you take tax and insurance etc out.
Then the poor buggers have to pay £600~£800 a month rent. Plus council tax, water rates, leccy, gas etc.
Car, fuel, insurance ~ doubt they can afford this.
I can't imagine there would be anything left.
No wonder there are food banks.
They are now on even less, whatever might minimum wage is?
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 18:58]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

£10 minimum wage on 18:55 - Jun 7 with 1728 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

£10 minimum wage on 18:53 - Jun 7 by builthjack

£10 @ 37 hours per week is £19,200 per year gross.
Not much when you take tax and insurance etc out.
Then the poor buggers have to pay £600~£800 a month rent. Plus council tax, water rates, leccy, gas etc.
Car, fuel, insurance ~ doubt they can afford this.
I can't imagine there would be anything left.
No wonder there are food banks.
They are now on even less, whatever might minimum wage is?
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 18:58]

Sensible post Builth

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Login to get fewer ads

£10 minimum wage on 18:55 - Jun 7 with 1728 viewsblueytheblue

£10 minimum wage on 18:50 - Jun 7 by Lord_Bony

Agreed, there's zero distinction between sole trader business and the person but as a sole trader you also have responsibility for debts. Honestly amazed people still go down that route these days, limiteds offer far more protection.

You're still accountable to HMRC ;)

£10 minimum wage on 18:56 - Jun 7 with 1721 viewsblueytheblue

£10 minimum wage on 18:51 - Jun 7 by Kilkennyjack

A minimum wage is a good thing, of course.
A living wage is a better thing, of course.

Stop bad businesses exploiting their workers.

Thank you.

Indeed, but you have to find the right figure. Too low and it's meaningless. Too high and it unduly affects smaller businesses.

£10 minimum wage on 19:00 - Jun 7 with 1710 viewsjojaca

My best mate living on his own works full time taking home £1000 a month. His rent/council tax/ gas and electric come to £600 without other bills. So the single working man needs a pay rise because he is probably better off on benefits.

Even when you know, you never know?

£10 minimum wage on 19:03 - Jun 7 with 1700 viewsLord_Bony

£10 minimum wage on 19:00 - Jun 7 by jojaca

My best mate living on his own works full time taking home £1000 a month. His rent/council tax/ gas and electric come to £600 without other bills. So the single working man needs a pay rise because he is probably better off on benefits.

If your friend is only earning that then he should be claiming Working Tax Credits to supplement his income.

There is government help available for low wage earners.

This post has been edited by an administrator

£10 minimum wage on 19:04 - Jun 7 with 1695 viewsPozuelosSideys

One of 3 things

- increase prices

- hire less people and adjust the contract to state something which requires them to work beyond their contracted hours (like most people in corporates) usually means a doubling up of hours, but all unpaid

- go out of business as the margins are too tight

Busineses such as Amazon can swallow stuff like this, small business cannot compete.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

£10 minimum wage on 19:16 - Jun 7 with 1657 viewsJango

£10 minimum wage on 18:50 - Jun 7 by blueytheblue

Why is it "not right"?

If those staff are getting what is the market rate or there abouts for the role they perform...

It comes down to business owner then doesn't it. If he's driving around in a Range Rover paid for through the company, living in a £750k house and taking out £300k in dividends a year and then he's got 10 staff on £8.50 an hour struggling to live and then complains about the rise in minimum wage then that bloke is a c*nt. And sadly that's the case all over the country. I'm lucky enough to work for a large company on a good wage but there's lots of people struggling while they earn people mega money.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 19:17]
£10 minimum wage on 19:18 - Jun 7 with 1648 viewsthenorthbankbog

£10 minimum wage on 17:07 - Jun 7 by Jango

Minimum wage is higher in Germany, France holland etc. corporation tax is much much higher in Germany, France, holland etc. yet all the big companies are gonna pay multi millions to up and leave to countries where it will cost more to run. People who actually believe this have no idea how economics actually works.

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/how-to-spot-economic-idiot-fodde

There's a different mentality in Germany. When I worked in the plumbing supplies business I went to a boiler manufacturing factory in Germany. I found out that German people don't repair their boiler but buy a new one. They ask the merchant what's the most efficient boiler whereas in the U.K we ask what's the cheapest boiler. See the difference. In Germany they'll pay more so the manufacturer and the merchant are not sacrificing profit margin over here it's a cutthroat business that's why I got out.
£10 minimum wage on 19:22 - Jun 7 with 1641 viewsLord_Bony

£10 minimum wage on 19:16 - Jun 7 by Jango

It comes down to business owner then doesn't it. If he's driving around in a Range Rover paid for through the company, living in a £750k house and taking out £300k in dividends a year and then he's got 10 staff on £8.50 an hour struggling to live and then complains about the rise in minimum wage then that bloke is a c*nt. And sadly that's the case all over the country. I'm lucky enough to work for a large company on a good wage but there's lots of people struggling while they earn people mega money.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 19:17]

But surely if it wasn't for that cent of a bloke then those 10 people would not even have a job to go to? Plenty would take their jobs if they don't like it.

Let's not forget....this is a free country run on free commerce and enterprise....any one of those employees can set up their own business and do the same thing at any time.

£10 minimum wage on 19:23 - Jun 7 with 1635 viewsJango

£10 minimum wage on 18:43 - Jun 7 by blueytheblue

I assume then you'll be reporting this theoretical friend given the fact he's claiming expenses not allowed through his companies?

Car - needs to be used for work principally or benefits in kind occur.
Clothes - you cannot claim expenses on clothes. Only clothing directly applicable for work apply - ie a diving suit. Shirt and tie cannot be claimed...
Eating out - T&S has been clamped down upon, staff entertainment up to a max of £150 per employee per year.
Holiday - no way on earth that gets allowed. Not. A. Chance.In. Hell.

So if your friend is claiming all those then he's clearly ignored the advice of any semi-competent accountant.

He's either winding you up or he's a tax cheat.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/reporting

He's a tax cheat then, as I imagine most small business are. Theres also the case of large cash transactions that don't go through the business accounts. It's wrong, but it happens. This is why I get annoyed when I see these business owners moaning about corporate tax increases or minimum wage increases.
£10 minimum wage on 19:28 - Jun 7 with 1616 viewsJango

£10 minimum wage on 19:22 - Jun 7 by Lord_Bony

But surely if it wasn't for that cent of a bloke then those 10 people would not even have a job to go to? Plenty would take their jobs if they don't like it.

Let's not forget....this is a free country run on free commerce and enterprise....any one of those employees can set up their own business and do the same thing at any time.

and if it wasn't for those staff he wouldn't have a company. I'm not saying pay them the same money for Christ sake. Don't complain when you've got to give them a little extra tho for their hard work just because you're savings account may grow just that little bit less than last year.
£10 minimum wage on 19:31 - Jun 7 with 1609 viewsswanforthemoney

£10 minimum wage on 18:50 - Jun 7 by Lord_Bony

HMRC might have something to say on your last point....oops Ferdy
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 19:33]

I stand in the North Stand

£10 minimum wage on 19:40 - Jun 7 with 1595 viewsexiledclaseboy

When the minimum wage was introduced there was oppsition who claimed it would ruin the economy and result in price rises and/or mass job losses and/or loads of businesses going to the wall. Didn't happen. The same arguments are rehashed every time there's an increase. Didn't happen. It's scaremongering bollocks.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 20:15]

Poll: Tory leader

£10 minimum wage on 19:43 - Jun 7 with 1590 viewsswanforthemoney

There's an argument that says if you have a willing low wage workforce you become a low-efficiency economy and go into a downward spiral. Higher wages actually forces firm to automate and become more efficient. You end up with a more productive economy.
For example, the French have high labour costs, no doubt. But, they are actually far more efficient in terms of output per hour than the average British worker. There are productivity figures out there to prove it.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/economicoutputandproductivity/productivitymeasure

So a higher minimum wage (within reason) seems to be a win-win, reallly. Although some businesses that rely on loads of cheap labour would no doubt suffer in the short term. Would they put their prices up.?More likely to cut hours or people, I guess. In the longer term you would expect higher value-added businesses to develop.

I stand in the North Stand

£10 minimum wage on 19:52 - Jun 7 with 1572 viewsdickythorpe

It'll be a nightmare for bosses who have workers like me!!!!!
I'll be banging on my managers door if I only get £10 an hour with my workload after 16 years of service, whilst someone who hides and shirks and has less to do gets the same!!!

I can't be the only one who is getting more and more disillusioned with those that do less nearly getting the same as those who've put the graft in for years and years?
£10 minimum wage on 19:54 - Jun 7 with 1567 viewsjack247

£10 minimum wage on 18:34 - Jun 7 by morningstar

I'm sorry Tim but i disagree. I can't speak for Starbucks as i don't know anyone who works for them, but i will say that despite some of the horror stories you may have heard about Amazon, a £10 min wage would make very little difference to the full time staff that work there. In fact a few hours overtime each week would see them average above that. And besides, neither would be able to cut staff due to the nature of their business. You are actually putting across the same points as people did when the minimum wage came into force 20 years ago.

They pay around £8 an hour Gar. That's a 20% increase in wage expenditure straight away before the increased tax comes into play. They do have a business that demands manual work, doesn't mean they won't streamline staff though. Wouldnt be surprised if they expect more productivity out of the people who stay, especially as they would have had a 20% pay rise.

I don't give a shit about Amazon. I would give a shit about young people finding it harder to get work. I'm assuming there is some sort of tax relief or incentive for smaller businesses? If not I'd feel for them too.

We are talking about raising the minimum wage for a 40 hour week to nearly £21k. I know people who earn far less that and manage fine. They would be fecked if they were out of work though.
£10 minimum wage on 20:06 - Jun 7 with 1526 viewsLord_Bony

There is a limit to what small or medium businesses can take . SMEs (small/medium enterprises) are the biggest employers in the U.K.

Does Labour think business can just shake that magic money tree again?

Where the heck is all that extra money going to come from?

Increase productivity or cuts would have to be made somewhere would be the answer for a lot of businesses.

There should be at least a two tier system for big and small business.

Big multi nationals can take the hit.

£10 minimum wage on 20:10 - Jun 7 with 1516 viewsblueytheblue

£10 minimum wage on 19:23 - Jun 7 by Jango

He's a tax cheat then, as I imagine most small business are. Theres also the case of large cash transactions that don't go through the business accounts. It's wrong, but it happens. This is why I get annoyed when I see these business owners moaning about corporate tax increases or minimum wage increases.

So most small businesses are thus tax cheats, huh?

Bit of a generalisation that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024