Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 13th Doctor 12:54 - Jul 16 with 6472 viewsexiledclaseboy

Announced after the men's final at Wimbledon today.

Will the BBC finally tip all the "PC gone mad!" brigade over the edge and cast a woman in the part? Or a black actor of either gender? Or will they play it safe? Again.

Poll: Tory leader

The 13th Doctor on 13:10 - Jul 16 with 2492 viewslondonlisa2001

I saw this trending on twitter earlier, so had a quick look.

It is genuinely hilarious. In particular, someone had posted comments from Daily Mail readers, one of whom had stated quite categorically that 'time travel can only be done by a man'.

I'm rather hoping it's a woman to freak out all the nerds although as good would be Eddie Izzard in full makeup,

I'm not sure why there's a fuss anyway since transparently the only real Doctor is John Pertwee with Tom Baker as his able deputy.
The 13th Doctor on 13:13 - Jul 16 with 2485 viewsexiledclaseboy

The 13th Doctor on 13:10 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

I saw this trending on twitter earlier, so had a quick look.

It is genuinely hilarious. In particular, someone had posted comments from Daily Mail readers, one of whom had stated quite categorically that 'time travel can only be done by a man'.

I'm rather hoping it's a woman to freak out all the nerds although as good would be Eddie Izzard in full makeup,

I'm not sure why there's a fuss anyway since transparently the only real Doctor is John Pertwee with Tom Baker as his able deputy.

Twitter is going to melt down whoever gets the part.

Oddly given your last sentence, Pertwee is my least favourite of the "classic" doctors.

The 13th Doctor on 13:17 - Jul 16 with 2476 viewslondonlisa2001

The 13th Doctor on 13:13 - Jul 16 by exiledclaseboy

Twitter is going to melt down whoever gets the part.

Oddly given your last sentence, Pertwee is my least favourite of the "classic" doctors.

It's just an age thing. He was the Doctor when I was a small kid and first saw Doctor Who, although it was Tom Baker for most of my childhood and he's the one I remember more of.

I keep promising myself to start watching again but never manage to do so other than the odd episode.

I loved it when I was a kid.
The 13th Doctor on 13:31 - Jul 16 with 2449 viewsE20Jack

Its a woman, its Jodie Whittaker. No need to wait for the announcement

Not a Dr Who fan at all so wont bother me, but I do hate it when TV shows and plays deviate from what has become as the accepted appearance of a character. I went to see Harry Potter in the West End and Hermione Granger was played by a black actress. The other characters somewhat resembled their famous counterparts and you could almost believe it was them. However it just seemed odd that they would deviate to that extent.

Can you imagine if there was a remake of Zulu, and the warriors were fat, white, ginger Scotsmen?

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

The 13th Doctor on 13:38 - Jul 16 with 2428 viewsJackSomething

The 13th Doctor on 13:31 - Jul 16 by E20Jack

Not a Dr Who fan at all so wont bother me, but I do hate it when TV shows and plays deviate from what has become as the accepted appearance of a character. I went to see Harry Potter in the West End and Hermione Granger was played by a black actress. The other characters somewhat resembled their famous counterparts and you could almost believe it was them. However it just seemed odd that they would deviate to that extent.

Can you imagine if there was a remake of Zulu, and the warriors were fat, white, ginger Scotsmen?

Slight difference in that the Zulus were, you know, real. As far as I'm aware, Hermione Granger and Doctor Who are not, so can be played by anyone.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

The 13th Doctor on 13:39 - Jul 16 with 2427 viewsDJack

The 13th Doctor on 13:38 - Jul 16 by JackSomething

Slight difference in that the Zulus were, you know, real. As far as I'm aware, Hermione Granger and Doctor Who are not, so can be played by anyone.

...beat me to it.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

The 13th Doctor on 13:45 - Jul 16 with 2408 viewslondonlisa2001

The 13th Doctor on 13:31 - Jul 16 by E20Jack

No. but of course Zulu was based in actual people, whereas Doctor Who isn't and given he / she regenerates into a different body, I can't see why it couldn't be a female body.

JK Rowling btw said that there was no reason for Hermione to be white, just because the actress in the films was white. And it's her character after all. Fairly often a part in a film is played by someone completely different to how I'd imagined them.

As an aside, I've no idea who the Doctor Who actor will be, but I did see the trailer as I was watching the tennis, and I thought it was hinting at a woman all over the place.

Edited - sorry Jacksomething didn't see your post.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2017 13:50]
The 13th Doctor on 13:48 - Jul 16 with 2402 viewsmonmouth

The 13th Doctor on 13:17 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

It's just an age thing. He was the Doctor when I was a small kid and first saw Doctor Who, although it was Tom Baker for most of my childhood and he's the one I remember more of.

I keep promising myself to start watching again but never manage to do so other than the odd episode.

I loved it when I was a kid.

That's because it's a kids programme, for kids. I can't remember any of the doctors except Peter Cushing in the film. I do however remember Katy Manning and Liz Sladen very fondly.

Ps Jodie Whittaker would be a superb choice. Great actress, actor, whatever. Full transgender would be better though. Maybe Hayley from Corrie in character as Harold.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

The 13th Doctor on 13:57 - Jul 16 with 2385 viewsE20Jack

The 13th Doctor on 13:45 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

No. but of course Zulu was based in actual people, whereas Doctor Who isn't and given he / she regenerates into a different body, I can't see why it couldn't be a female body.

JK Rowling btw said that there was no reason for Hermione to be white, just because the actress in the films was white. And it's her character after all. Fairly often a part in a film is played by someone completely different to how I'd imagined them.

As an aside, I've no idea who the Doctor Who actor will be, but I did see the trailer as I was watching the tennis, and I thought it was hinting at a woman all over the place.

Edited - sorry Jacksomething didn't see your post.

Of course they "can" be played by anyone, doesn't need JK Rowling to confirm that. It is whether they "should" be played by anyone is the point at hand.

Point taken regarding the Zulus being historically acurate. I will recant that and go with Ian Beale from Eastenders getting replaced with black transgender man and everyone carrying on as normal.

No matter how good the acting of the replacement may be, the character has already been established in peoples minds. Just wouldn't work.

The 13th Doctor on 14:00 - Jul 16 with 2379 viewslifelong

WTF do people see in this bilge.. "I am a Dalek " FFS mun.
The 13th Doctor on 14:01 - Jul 16 with 2373 viewsDarran

The 13th Doctor on 14:00 - Jul 16 by lifelong

WTF do people see in this bilge.. "I am a Dalek " FFS mun.

ECB loves it. 👀

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The 13th Doctor on 14:03 - Jul 16 with 2367 viewslondonlisa2001

The 13th Doctor on 13:57 - Jul 16 by E20Jack

Of course they "can" be played by anyone, doesn't need JK Rowling to confirm that. It is whether they "should" be played by anyone is the point at hand.

Point taken regarding the Zulus being historically acurate. I will recant that and go with Ian Beale from Eastenders getting replaced with black transgender man and everyone carrying on as normal.

No matter how good the acting of the replacement may be, the character has already been established in peoples minds. Just wouldn't work.

Ian Beale doesn't, as far as I can recall, regenerate every few years into a different body.
The 13th Doctor on 14:13 - Jul 16 with 2340 viewsE20Jack

The 13th Doctor on 14:03 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

Ian Beale doesn't, as far as I can recall, regenerate every few years into a different body.

Neither does Hermione Granger.

The 13th Doctor on 14:26 - Jul 16 with 2323 viewslondonlisa2001

The 13th Doctor on 14:13 - Jul 16 by E20Jack

Neither does Hermione Granger.

But she's a character in a book, so every portrayal is just a version of the original character. Emma Watson is no more Hermione than any other actress. You're just used to seeing her.
The 13th Doctor on 14:37 - Jul 16 with 2301 viewsE20Jack

The 13th Doctor on 14:26 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

But she's a character in a book, so every portrayal is just a version of the original character. Emma Watson is no more Hermione than any other actress. You're just used to seeing her.

A character in a book brought to life in film by Emma Watson. As soon as that character is established visually then any drastic change does not sit well when trying to get lost in the story presented.

Humpty Dumpty is a story/childrens rhyme yet any other portrayal than Humpty being an egg would not work. Yet there is no reference to Humpty Dumpty being an egg in the story/rhyme at all. But it was visually established that it was an egg and thus it would and probably will remain an egg for ever more.

I believe it has little to do with artistic credability and more to do with social compilance, which is a shame really as I believe it has the opposite effect.

The 13th Doctor on 14:41 - Jul 16 with 2288 viewsHighjack

The 13th Doctor on 14:26 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

Absolutely, there's no issue for me with hermione being played by a black actress, but I would imagine there would be an outburst of outrage if they had cast a white actor to play Kingsley shacklebolt or dean Thomas.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The 13th Doctor on 14:44 - Jul 16 with 2268 viewsexiledclaseboy

Having read this thread I now really hope the 13th Doctor is a black woman (except Diane Abbott). It's already been established in the show's mythology that timelords can change sex/gender and race when they regenerate so the "black Hermione" guff doesn't wash in the Doctor Who context.

The 13th Doctor on 14:46 - Jul 16 with 2254 viewsPozuelosSideys

The 13th Doctor on 14:44 - Jul 16 by exiledclaseboy

Having read this thread I now really hope the 13th Doctor is a black woman (except Diane Abbott). It's already been established in the show's mythology that timelords can change sex/gender and race when they regenerate so the "black Hermione" guff doesn't wash in the Doctor Who context.

Are you sure its not Diane Abbot? She mysteriously disappeared during the election.. for filming apparently..

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

The 13th Doctor on 14:48 - Jul 16 with 2241 viewsE20Jack

I don't watch Dr Who, I was just telling you she is the new Doctor. I have no idea how the changing of the physical appearance fits into the story, if it is rationally explained and addressed as part of the story then of course - it could be Ed Miliband and still be in line with the story. No issues.

My point was a side issue regarding drastically changing the apearance of a visually established character in TV, movies and plays where it is not addressed or does not fit into the story. Not necessarily a direct swipe at Dr Who. Just an after comment really.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2017 14:50]

The 13th Doctor on 14:48 - Jul 16 with 2239 viewsexiledclaseboy

The 13th Doctor on 14:41 - Jul 16 by Highjack

Absolutely, there's no issue for me with hermione being played by a black actress, but I would imagine there would be an outburst of outrage if they had cast a white actor to play Kingsley shacklebolt or dean Thomas.

Why? Were either of those characters established as black in the books? I genuinely can't remember.

As an aside, the very British and extremely white Tilda Swinton was cast as the traditionally male and very Asian character the Ancient One in the recent Dr Strange adaptation. I don't recall any particular outrage.

The 13th Doctor on 14:49 - Jul 16 with 2235 viewsexiledclaseboy

The 13th Doctor on 14:48 - Jul 16 by E20Jack

I don't watch Dr Who, I was just telling you she is the new Doctor. I have no idea how the changing of the physical appearance fits into the story, if it is rationally explained and addressed as part of the story then of course - it could be Ed Miliband and still be in line with the story. No issues.

My point was a side issue regarding drastically changing the apearance of a visually established character in TV, movies and plays where it is not addressed or does not fit into the story. Not necessarily a direct swipe at Dr Who. Just an after comment really.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2017 14:50]

It's science fiction, there's very little rational about it.

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:51 - Jul 16 with 2223 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The 13th Doctor on 14:51 - Jul 16 with 2220 viewsjackportis

I'm thinking it's Sue Barker as she has to finish presenting the tennis first hence wait until the match finishes. julian clarey would make a good doctor who also. The potential Gaylord to time lord has been upping his profile recently. Failing these two how about a Muslim dr who. Commercially viable increasing audience and BBC are under represented here. This is where I hope it goes fingers crossed.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

The 13th Doctor on 14:53 - Jul 16 with 2214 viewsJackSomething

Innit. Love the suggestion that a black or female Doctor would be because of 'social compliance'. Not maybe because after 13 or so Doctors we're yet to have anyone other than a white male and we're well overdue for a bit of variety.

Moaning about Hermione's stage actress being black, I'm sure the same people were equally concerned when Hogwarts was shown as almost exclusively caucasian, apart from one black male and one Asian female.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

The 13th Doctor on 14:54 - Jul 16 with 2212 viewsE20Jack

The 13th Doctor on 14:49 - Jul 16 by exiledclaseboy

It's science fiction, there's very little rational about it.

Of course but science fiction still has structure. Or certainly should anyway. I can imagine if Rashawn of the walking dead appeared in the next series as Emma Watson then there would be uproar... Or John Snow replaced with Idris Elba in the coming series of Game of Thrones... Alice in Wonderland played by Ricky Gervais. So on and so forth..

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024