Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid 12:57 - Jul 16 with 95779 views34dfgdf54

Bid rejected from las palmas apparently.

Siggy replacement and a very good one at that allegedly.
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 17:04 - Jul 16 with 3190 viewsE20Jack

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 16:53 - Jul 16 by jack247

Its not at the moment. If we don't get this signing right, the chances are we will go down. That's a short term problem. I'll say it again, I'm not commenting on Viera specifically, just saying if we find the right player, we shouldn't be scared to pay £25m

There is a happy medium between being prudent and spending when we need to spend.

Are you suggesting we base our strategy on signing global superstars before they make it big?

I disagree and we should be absolutely wary of paying £26.5m when there is very little chance of getting that back.

I am not saying we sign global superstars before they make it big, I am saying we shoukd be looking at players who have proved themselves at the top level that find themselves in the right age bracket for us to comtinue the cycle when we sell at peak value. Whether they go on to suoerstardom is by the by.

There is absolutely no reason to spend £26.5m on Veira when there are of course players of equal value and talent that are younger.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 17:10 - Jul 16 with 3154 viewsRancid

I read an article recently about the players we should try and replace Gylffi with and thisa fella was numero uno.It did say we'd struggle to afford him which made no sense at all if we're selling Gylffi.He sounds like a real player.
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 17:15 - Jul 16 with 3121 viewsnierika

Splash the now instead of the Jan window!
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 17:16 - Jul 16 with 3117 viewsnyc_swans

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 17:00 - Jul 16 by E20Jack

More sensible than spending €30m on Jonathan Veira?

Absolutely.

i can't get behind this. the player you use as an example had trouble adjusting last season and was quite poor by all accounts. a team like bayern can afford to let expensive very young players develop. take that kind of risk at swansea and you could be relegated.

i do agree that having young players with lots of potential at this club is important, but your example is too extreme and reckless, IMO.
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 17:35 - Jul 16 with 3003 viewsoldcob

If we showed no interest in him, the same people who are against him coming now would be asking why we are not interested in him. This is Planet Swans, and that's the way it is.
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 18:19 - Jul 16 with 2810 viewsE20Jack

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 17:16 - Jul 16 by nyc_swans

i can't get behind this. the player you use as an example had trouble adjusting last season and was quite poor by all accounts. a team like bayern can afford to let expensive very young players develop. take that kind of risk at swansea and you could be relegated.

i do agree that having young players with lots of potential at this club is important, but your example is too extreme and reckless, IMO.

And so could Viera have trouble adapting to us.

So do you take a chance of €30m on someone who would instantly lose their value knocking on 28 years old and never played for or performed for a big side, or a young superstar who is in the Portugese national side and talent coming out of his ears? (But obviously I am talking about proven 24/25/26 year olds in the main not teenagers as pointed out)

At least if the younger one doesnt adapt then he has proved himself to such a degree that he will hold his value anyway. Same goes for Aubemeyang when we signed Bony instead, and Bony to a certain extent. All big money signings but all had the age and talent for the signing to be able to be salvaged if it didn't work out.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2017 18:36]

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 18:53 - Jul 16 with 2653 viewsdobjack2

If as seems likely gylfi is on his way we need a quality replacement that fits in now and they aren't cheap.

Someone for the future as well would be good as it's a balancing act.

Don't know anything about viera although I expect that our coaching team do.

Need to improve the quality of the match day squad, there are some players that should be for emergencies only.

Some of the squad need moving on either on loan or permanently
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 19:00 - Jul 16 with 2604 viewsPozuelosSideys

Renato Sanches isnt really in the attacking/creative midfield mould though is he?

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Login to get fewer ads

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 19:32 - Jul 16 with 2470 viewsSwans777

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 14:08 - Jul 16 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

So when he's done in 2/3 years, do we spend another £28m to replace him? We need to buy players young enough that we have a realistic chance of selling them on for a good fee when they decide to leave.

This would be a terrible signing for our club.

You are a few years behind the times my friend.
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 20:09 - Jul 16 with 2298 viewsoldcob

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 18:19 - Jul 16 by E20Jack

And so could Viera have trouble adapting to us.

So do you take a chance of €30m on someone who would instantly lose their value knocking on 28 years old and never played for or performed for a big side, or a young superstar who is in the Portugese national side and talent coming out of his ears? (But obviously I am talking about proven 24/25/26 year olds in the main not teenagers as pointed out)

At least if the younger one doesnt adapt then he has proved himself to such a degree that he will hold his value anyway. Same goes for Aubemeyang when we signed Bony instead, and Bony to a certain extent. All big money signings but all had the age and talent for the signing to be able to be salvaged if it didn't work out.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2017 18:36]

He's 27 for Gods sake. He weighs under 11 stone. A guy who is obsessed by fitness standards, He'll have another seven years left in him, and he IS a proven footballer, on the verge of the Spanish national team. I despair sometimes at the negativity on here, and I've been told that I'm a glass half empty kind of guy.
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 20:24 - Jul 16 with 2226 viewsTheFranchise

We need some more footballers in this side. I don't know enough about this guy to say he's worth it but i would love a return to the style of football played under Laudrup.
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 20:41 - Jul 16 with 2131 viewshobo

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 20:09 - Jul 16 by oldcob

He's 27 for Gods sake. He weighs under 11 stone. A guy who is obsessed by fitness standards, He'll have another seven years left in him, and he IS a proven footballer, on the verge of the Spanish national team. I despair sometimes at the negativity on here, and I've been told that I'm a glass half empty kind of guy.

He is nowhere near the Spain national side
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 21:00 - Jul 16 with 2028 viewsE20Jack

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 20:09 - Jul 16 by oldcob

It seems you misunderstand what is being said.

I am not saying he is too old to play for Gods sake. I am saying if we are splashing almost £30m on a player then the likelihood is we will want him to play for us for a few seasons. THEN he will be 30 years old and no way we could recoup our outlay.

Hence why we need to be buying players and selling at their peak value, not buying players at their peak value and losing millions on them. If you want relegation then thats probably the best way to guarantee it in the future.

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 21:14 - Jul 16 with 1945 viewsSwans777

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 21:00 - Jul 16 by E20Jack

I am not saying he is too old to play for Gods sake. I am saying if we are splashing almost £30m on a player then the likelihood is we will want him to play for us for a few seasons. THEN he will be 30 years old and no way we could recoup our outlay.

Hence why we need to be buying players and selling at their peak value, not buying players at their peak value and losing millions on them. If you want relegation then thats probably the best way to guarantee it in the future.

Strange logic , you have.
Of course we should sign players at their peak.
It's not all about tomorrow.
The team needs strengthening now, not in the future.
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 21:44 - Jul 16 with 1819 viewslonglostjack

One fantastic season and we could sell him to the likes of Manure and make a tidy profit.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 21:54 - Jul 16 with 1771 viewsWarwickHunt

We recoup our outlay by staying in the PL.

I hope the days of of spunking £5m on Championship standard players are over.
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:09 - Jul 16 with 1695 viewsRuDeMan1970

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 16:47 - Jul 16 by E20Jack

hence why it is important we sell these players at the peak of their value and reinvest so the cycle can continue. I have never been an advocate of keeping Gylfi. If the price is right then in order for the club to progress they simoly have to be sold.

Surely people can see that if we keep buying and losing miney on players then eventually we will have nothing left?

"...if we keep buying and losing money on players then eventually we will have nothing left..."
Now I'm no financial whizzkid but I'd hazard a guess we've not done badly in the last few seasons - Allen, Sinclair, Bony, Andre Ayew, presumably Siggy to name a few - in making a profit on our players. As some have already alluded to on here, with the enormous Gylfi-shaped hole about to need filling we have to live in the here and now and just for once splash the cash knowing there'll be a possibility of no profit being made down the line.

..."who will guard the guards..?"

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:18 - Jul 16 with 1649 views34dfgdf54

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 21:54 - Jul 16 by WarwickHunt

We recoup our outlay by staying in the PL.

I hope the days of of spunking £5m on Championship standard players are over.

Argument over.

F*ck me this forum is hard to read at times. How has Renato Sanchez suddenly been bought into it?!

If Viera helps keep us in the league next year, it pays for the transfer. The money we get for Siggy, Cork and maybe Llorente is just a bonus.
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:20 - Jul 16 with 1627 views34dfgdf54

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:09 - Jul 16 by RuDeMan1970

"...if we keep buying and losing money on players then eventually we will have nothing left..."
Now I'm no financial whizzkid but I'd hazard a guess we've not done badly in the last few seasons - Allen, Sinclair, Bony, Andre Ayew, presumably Siggy to name a few - in making a profit on our players. As some have already alluded to on here, with the enormous Gylfi-shaped hole about to need filling we have to live in the here and now and just for once splash the cash knowing there'll be a possibility of no profit being made down the line.

We even made a decent profit off Cork ffs.

I despise Huw, but hats off to him for that one.
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:22 - Jul 16 with 1616 viewsE20Jack

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:09 - Jul 16 by RuDeMan1970

What is the common theme with all of those players?

Age of players at time of sale:-

Joe Allen - 22 years old
Scott Sinclair - 23 years old
Wilfried Bony - 26 years old
Andre Ayew - 26 years old
Gylfi Sigurdsson - 27 years old

There may well be a Gylfi sized hole, but it doesnt mean we should spend £26.5m on a single player that has little resale value. It is not like he has ripped up his current league and has zero caps.

For this kind of money you would expect the above to be the case.

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:23 - Jul 16 with 1608 viewshobo

This isn't really being reported in too many places, so hopefully it's just Las Palmas putting stories out to to put him in the shop window and trying to cash in on his decent season
Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:25 - Jul 16 with 1598 viewsraynor94

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:18 - Jul 16 by 34dfgdf54

Argument over.

F*ck me this forum is hard to read at times. How has Renato Sanchez suddenly been bought into it?!

If Viera helps keep us in the league next year, it pays for the transfer. The money we get for Siggy, Cork and maybe Llorente is just a bonus.

Exactly, it's a no brainer, the only thing confusing me, is how has his value risen so quickly, from being bought for 900,000 euros to 30,000,000 in two years?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:26 - Jul 16 with 1591 viewsE20Jack

Argument over.

Not argument over at all.

If we stay in the Premier League then we simply break even. We will not get a £27m profit from survival. It may look pretty to write it, it may feel nice to say it - but it is simply not true.

In order to progress we need to be signing young, exeptional talent with resale value so we can continue the cycle when they move on, this ensures lingevity in the transfer market to improve our side, not squandering all the £45m we get from Gylfi on two replacements (viera and then his replecement in a few years time) who then leave us with nothing.

Its as straight forward as that.

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:28 - Jul 16 with 1567 viewsE20Jack

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:25 - Jul 16 by raynor94

Exactly, it's a no brainer, the only thing confusing me, is how has his value risen so quickly, from being bought for 900,000 euros to 30,000,000 in two years?

In terms of people thinking its a good idea having no brain? Then maybe Ill agree.

I cant believe I am reading some if this stuff. £27m on someone with little resale value? What planet have some of you landed on??

Thankfully it seems the club wont go to €30m so there is someone with a modicum of sense there at least.

Viera - Las Palmas - 25mill Euro bid on 22:29 - Jul 16 with 1563 viewsjack247

Argument over.

Christ, I'm agreeing with you again.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems obvious to me that if you are replacing a key player, particularly if you sell him for massive money, that the only real consideration should be getting the best replacement for the coming season. Resale value should be a bonus in this kind of situation.

Im also not convinced you have to make a profit in the transfer market with the money that comes just from being in the PL
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024