Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years 14:47 - Jul 19 with 12348 viewsValerie

So this will hit people currently between 40-47 years old with a extra year for them to work,it was already in the system for people 40 or under to work until 68.

And you can guarantee there will be another review within 3 years to bring it forward again.

There were reviews in 2011,2014 and now 2017 all of which brought the qualifying year forward by an average of 6.5 years.

People currently 35 or younger will not qualify for OASP until they are in their 70s that's for sure.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 14:55]
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:48 - Jul 19 with 1407 viewsexiledclaseboy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:46 - Jul 19 by Valerie

Valerie "life expectancy will soon come down when Corbyn bankrupts the country"

Jack247. "Actually that's a reasonable point"

exiledclaseboy "It really really really isn't

Jack247 "why not"

exiledclaseboy "you'd have to educate me on what a Labour government would do that would directly lead to a reduction in life expectancy first"

Did you actually read any of the thread or just come up with the "It really really really isn't" reply randomly?

Clase born Clase breed strong in the arm thick in the head

What the actual flying f*ck are you on about?
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 19:48]

Poll: Tory leader

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:49 - Jul 19 with 1404 viewsPozuelosSideys

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:30 - Jul 19 by exiledclaseboy

Where on earth have I said that I believe that austerity is responsible for a slow down in life expectancy? My view is that any tangible effect on life expectancy happens over decades, not a relatively few years.

And of course your entire assertion is based on the "Corbyn will bankrupt the country" mantra which is nothing but speculation anyway.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 19:58]

To be fair, that shoddy interpretation of some intellectuals work was used and held up as ammunition and fact by the Shadow Pensions Minister in the HoC today

Its clearly adding 2 and 2 and coming up with 55, but still.. it sees some (not you) want to have their cake and eat it here

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:51 - Jul 19 with 1398 viewsJack_Meoff

And instead of addressing the issue at hand we immediately degenerate into the utterly tedious left/right/Tory/Labour divide and conquer sh*te.

Which is why they take the p*ss, and will continue to take the p*ss.

And anyone who thinks there'll be a state pension by 2037 is, I'd suggest, utterly deluded.

/rant over.

As you were.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:52 - Jul 19 with 1391 viewsexiledclaseboy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:49 - Jul 19 by PozuelosSideys

To be fair, that shoddy interpretation of some intellectuals work was used and held up as ammunition and fact by the Shadow Pensions Minister in the HoC today

Its clearly adding 2 and 2 and coming up with 55, but still.. it sees some (not you) want to have their cake and eat it here

I'm a bit behind on the news this week but for the avoidance of doubt if austerity alone is being blamed by some for a slowdown in life expectancy then that seeems to be overly simplistic political opportunism. Exactly the same as claiming that because Corbyn would apparently "bankrupt the country' people will all of a sudden start dying earlier.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 19:53]

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:56 - Jul 19 with 1379 viewslifelong

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:51 - Jul 19 by Jack_Meoff

And instead of addressing the issue at hand we immediately degenerate into the utterly tedious left/right/Tory/Labour divide and conquer sh*te.

And anyone who thinks there'll be a state pension by 2037 is, I'd suggest, utterly deluded.

/rant over.

As you were.

I hope there is, I'll be 90 then.
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:00 - Jul 19 with 1366 viewsploppy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:48 - Jul 19 by exiledclaseboy

What the actual flying f*ck are you on about?
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 19:48]

You could maybe have explained what you meant by "it really really really isn't" rather than leaving at that. I don't know for sure, but I suspect from your later comment that you meant that blaming life expectancy on austerity wasn't sensible. If so, your comment was misinterpreted.

Unfortunately, not everyone believes it's nonsense to correlate the two. For example, Corbyn made that connection in PMQs today.
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:01 - Jul 19 with 1364 viewsPozuelosSideys

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:52 - Jul 19 by exiledclaseboy

I'm a bit behind on the news this week but for the avoidance of doubt if austerity alone is being blamed by some for a slowdown in life expectancy then that seeems to be overly simplistic political opportunism. Exactly the same as claiming that because Corbyn would apparently "bankrupt the country' people will all of a sudden start dying earlier.

Yep, couldnt agree more. I think the BBC have spun this story horribly as i dont believe an academic would be so stupid as to make it this apparent and simplistic. This was the story though

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40608256

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:03 - Jul 19 with 1362 viewsexiledclaseboy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:00 - Jul 19 by ploppy

You could maybe have explained what you meant by "it really really really isn't" rather than leaving at that. I don't know for sure, but I suspect from your later comment that you meant that blaming life expectancy on austerity wasn't sensible. If so, your comment was misinterpreted.

Unfortunately, not everyone believes it's nonsense to correlate the two. For example, Corbyn made that connection in PMQs today.

Thank you for the posting tips, Ploppy. I'll take them into account when I come to give a shit.

Login to get fewer ads

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:10 - Jul 19 with 1350 viewsValerie

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:51 - Jul 19 by Jack_Meoff

/rant over.

As you were.

They say it will save £74 Billion between 2038 the new date and 2045 the original date.

I suppose Corbyn writing off the £100 Billion student debt and the £10 Billion yearly bill for students must be paid for some how.

No wonder the drugged up kids chant his name.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 20:14]
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:12 - Jul 19 with 1346 viewsploppy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:03 - Jul 19 by exiledclaseboy

Thank you for the posting tips, Ploppy. I'll take them into account when I come to give a shit.

No need for that. I was actually trying to help you out because I thought your comment had been misinterpreted. Never mind.
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:17 - Jul 19 with 1337 viewsValerie

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:12 - Jul 19 by ploppy

No need for that. I was actually trying to help you out because I thought your comment had been misinterpreted. Never mind.

He knew exactly what he was replying to and when jack247 asked why is that? He did not have a answer and started digging himself into a hole.People like him do that.
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:19 - Jul 19 with 1334 viewsexiledclaseboy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:12 - Jul 19 by ploppy

You're right, there was no need for that dig to you. I apologise.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 20:19]

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:19 - Jul 19 with 1333 viewsJack_Meoff

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:56 - Jul 19 by lifelong

I hope there is, I'll be 90 then.

You may just about qualify in that case

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:20 - Jul 19 with 1332 viewswaynekerr55

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:52 - Jul 19 by exiledclaseboy

Clasey as a far more erudite and reflective individual than I, have political 'debates' in the HoC always been lacking in substance, or have we sunk to a new depth?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:23 - Jul 19 with 1327 viewsexiledclaseboy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:20 - Jul 19 by waynekerr55

Clasey as a far more erudite and reflective individual than I, have political 'debates' in the HoC always been lacking in substance, or have we sunk to a new depth?

The weekly bearpits of PMQs have always been pointless soundbite opportunities. It's no different now than it was 30 years ago. The real and valuable work of the Commons is done mostly out of the public eye in select committees and during the lower profile stages of the legislative process, when bills are often debated line by line and clause by clause.

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:33 - Jul 19 with 1312 viewsjack247

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 19:25 - Jul 19 by exiledclaseboy

You'd have to educate me on what a Labour government would do that would directly lead to a reduction in life expectancy first.

Right. I appreciate this is an overly simplistic view, I'm out of my comfort zone and I'm agreeing with Valerie, if I get slapped down, so be it.

A Labour government gets in, pays everyone's student loans off, increases the minimum wage to £10, guarantees triple lock for 10 years, bring in thousands of police officers etc. Everything is lovely. I don't know how it gets paid for, and am assuming that future generations will foot some of the bill. Whoever is in power, I can see us facing an employment crisis before too long as technology advances (don't see Mcdonalds paying people £10 an hour to take orders when they can get a machine to do it for a couple of grand).

I do genuinely see more unemployment goimg forward, which means more people taking out of the pot and less putting in, I don't know who compensates for that, but wouldn't mind betting future pensioners get less to live on in real terms. I think that will happen anyway, but Robin Hood style spending now will only exacerbate it.

Only my view, but I'd guess increasing state pension age and reducing real terms income would eventually reduce life expectancy?
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:46 - Jul 19 with 1297 viewsPozuelosSideys

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:33 - Jul 19 by jack247

Right. I appreciate this is an overly simplistic view, I'm out of my comfort zone and I'm agreeing with Valerie, if I get slapped down, so be it.

A Labour government gets in, pays everyone's student loans off, increases the minimum wage to £10, guarantees triple lock for 10 years, bring in thousands of police officers etc. Everything is lovely. I don't know how it gets paid for, and am assuming that future generations will foot some of the bill. Whoever is in power, I can see us facing an employment crisis before too long as technology advances (don't see Mcdonalds paying people £10 an hour to take orders when they can get a machine to do it for a couple of grand).

I do genuinely see more unemployment goimg forward, which means more people taking out of the pot and less putting in, I don't know who compensates for that, but wouldn't mind betting future pensioners get less to live on in real terms. I think that will happen anyway, but Robin Hood style spending now will only exacerbate it.

Only my view, but I'd guess increasing state pension age and reducing real terms income would eventually reduce life expectancy?

The vast majority of the money to do all that will need to be borrowed. If there are less people in work and less income for the state due to globalisation, higher unemployment etc etc, then the money becomes more expensive to borrow. The state becomes bigger, services get cut as there is no way to fund them.

There are 3 options for me:

1.) "Austerity" now
2.) Tougher, longer austerity later
3.) Greece

Who knows though. We're all guessing

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:46 - Jul 19 with 1297 viewslonglostjack

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:23 - Jul 19 by exiledclaseboy

The weekly bearpits of PMQs have always been pointless soundbite opportunities. It's no different now than it was 30 years ago. The real and valuable work of the Commons is done mostly out of the public eye in select committees and during the lower profile stages of the legislative process, when bills are often debated line by line and clause by clause.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a change at one time to Prime Minister's questions. Do they now have to be submitted in written form first, giving PM a chance to prepare answers. Genuinely not sure and briefly tried googling.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:54 - Jul 19 with 1284 viewsjack247

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:46 - Jul 19 by PozuelosSideys

The vast majority of the money to do all that will need to be borrowed. If there are less people in work and less income for the state due to globalisation, higher unemployment etc etc, then the money becomes more expensive to borrow. The state becomes bigger, services get cut as there is no way to fund them.

1.) "Austerity" now
3.) Greece

Completely agree with that and it was much more succinct and concise than my effort.

I'd choose option 1 over option 2, which is why I'm not a Corbyn fan.

I don't think it's too far fetched to assume that cuts to pension income could potentially impact on life expectancies.
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:55 - Jul 19 with 1283 viewspikeypaul

Sir John Cridlands review recommended this months ago and it was inevitable the government took it up not because of increase in life expectancy which has stalled over the last 2.years but the massive growth in population estimated to be 76 million most of which is due to immigration not longer life expectancy. Today 1 in 4 babies born in the UK are born to immigrant mothers.

It could have been worse and the government gone down the 32% of adult life in retirement route instead of the current 33.3% that would have brought the age forward by another 6 years on top of the 7 announced today.

However I can guarantee in the next review 3-5 years time State pension age will be extended again so get used to it guys and get a private pension unless you want to work into your 70s.

I am glad I was lucky enough to retire when I was 50,the country is skint and it is only going to get worse if Labour get there hands on the treasury.

What was it Liam Byrne the Labour treasury minister said the last time they left office
"There's no money left" what a bunch of buffoons.

Reply to the last post. Of course increased pensioner poverty will result in a shorter average life expectancy if you can't afford to eat or heat your house that's a given.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 21:00]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:56 - Jul 19 with 1281 viewsexiledclaseboy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:46 - Jul 19 by longlostjack

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a change at one time to Prime Minister's questions. Do they now have to be submitted in written form first, giving PM a chance to prepare answers. Genuinely not sure and briefly tried googling.

All initial questions have to be tabled in advance for all question sessions in the Commons, regardless of which minister is answering. For PMQs the questions are usually about her engagements for the day which is why the first answer is always, "this morning I had meetings with ministerial colleagues and others..." etc and afterwards "I refer the honourable gentleman/lady to the reply I gave some moments ago". The follow up questions aren't known in advance though, except for the planted ones that government backbenchers are told by the whips to ask. Every week a small army of civil servants will spend a lot of time anticipating questions and preparing reams of briefing though.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 21:02]

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 21:00 - Jul 19 with 1272 viewsexiledclaseboy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 20:46 - Jul 19 by PozuelosSideys

1.) "Austerity" now
3.) Greece

Let's not forget that Labour hasn't pledged to wipe out £100bn of student debt. They've said that it's an "ambition" (maybe aspiration, can't remember which word was used) for when it's affordable. £100bn is around one seventh of all public spending so a commitment would be madness.

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 21:03 - Jul 19 with 1266 viewspikeypaul

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 21:00 - Jul 19 by exiledclaseboy

Let's not forget that Labour hasn't pledged to wipe out £100bn of student debt. They've said that it's an "ambition" (maybe aspiration, can't remember which word was used) for when it's affordable. £100bn is around one seventh of all public spending so a commitment would be madness.

That's correct they changed the wording a couple of days after they lost the election.

Before it they said they would wipe it out.funny that innit?

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 21:03 - Jul 19 with 1266 viewsjack247

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 21:00 - Jul 19 by exiledclaseboy

May be wrong, but wasn't it dressed up as a pledge prior to the election and downgraded to an ambition recently?

Either way, if they ever do get in, I hope they don't do it.
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 21:04 - Jul 19 with 1265 viewsjack_lord

OK, fact is people have been living longer.

There are probable a bunch of people who could quite easily do their job when they are 68 or 70.

Surely there are only a few of those jobs available. What about all those jobs that are more physically demanding like being a civil servant?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024