Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Severn Bridge Tolls 16:36 - Jul 21 with 5395 viewsSwans777

To be scrapped altogether by the end of 2018.
Great news for South Wales.
Severn Bridge Tolls on 16:39 - Jul 21 with 2703 viewsraynor94

You will be lucky to get into South Wales, the jams will be horrendous

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Severn Bridge Tolls on 16:45 - Jul 21 with 2693 viewsSwans777

Severn Bridge Tolls on 16:39 - Jul 21 by raynor94

You will be lucky to get into South Wales, the jams will be horrendous

What are you talking about my friend. Or would you rather they kept the tolls in place ?
Severn Bridge Tolls on 16:53 - Jul 21 with 2683 viewsraynor94

Severn Bridge Tolls on 16:45 - Jul 21 by Swans777

What are you talking about my friend. Or would you rather they kept the tolls in place ?

You are trying to put words in my mouth, I'm pointing out the traffic from the bridge to the Brynglass tunnels will be horrendous, that's all

Severn Bridge Tolls on 16:59 - Jul 21 with 2676 viewsSwans777

Severn Bridge Tolls on 16:53 - Jul 21 by raynor94

You are trying to put words in my mouth, I'm pointing out the traffic from the bridge to the Brynglass tunnels will be horrendous, that's all

I've yet to meet anyone who's not made the journey across the bridge due to the cost. ( I'm sure there are some though). People need to cross the bridge, it's as simple as that, and the traffic is already bad.
An extra £100,000,000 into the South Wales economy, I believe as a result of axing the tolls.
Severn Bridge Tolls on 17:19 - Jul 21 with 2651 viewsNeath_Jack

Number one infrastructure job should be to build the Newport relief road.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Severn Bridge Tolls on 17:26 - Jul 21 with 2645 viewsSwans777

Severn Bridge Tolls on 17:19 - Jul 21 by Neath_Jack

Absolutely. Action we need, not more talking.
Get the bulldozers moving.
Severn Bridge Tolls on 17:28 - Jul 21 with 2639 viewsexiledclaseboy

Do you reckon hordes of people avoid the bridges when coming into Wales now because of the tolls then?

Poll: Tory leader

Severn Bridge Tolls on 17:30 - Jul 21 with 2635 viewsDarran

Severn Bridge Tolls on 17:28 - Jul 21 by exiledclaseboy

Do you reckon hordes of people avoid the bridges when coming into Wales now because of the tolls then?

Only tight fuçkers like 3swan.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Login to get fewer ads

Severn Bridge Tolls on 17:34 - Jul 21 with 2628 viewsWhiterockin

Severn Bridge Tolls on 17:19 - Jul 21 by Neath_Jack

And make it a toll, more money will be made than with the bridge.
Severn Bridge Tolls on 17:36 - Jul 21 with 2628 viewspikeypaul

I flew back from the West Ham game last year to get one over the toll collectors

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:26 - Jul 21 with 2578 viewsPrivate_Partz

BBC Cardiff think so and are now pushing for their billion pound fiasco of a road to compensate.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:30 - Jul 21 with 2576 viewslondonlisa2001

Severn Bridge Tolls on 16:59 - Jul 21 by Swans777

I've yet to meet anyone who's not made the journey across the bridge due to the cost. ( I'm sure there are some though). People need to cross the bridge, it's as simple as that, and the traffic is already bad.
An extra £100,000,000 into the South Wales economy, I believe as a result of axing the tolls.

Can I ask how both of your statements can possibly be true?
Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:34 - Jul 21 with 2569 viewsraynor94

Well, BBC Wales are reporting a 20% increase in traffic on the M4, and the infrastructure is not up to it, the relief road is desperately

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:34 - Jul 21 with 2568 viewsowainglyndwr

Severn Bridge Tolls on 16:59 - Jul 21 by Swans777

Another boost for Cardiff
Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:36 - Jul 21 with 2564 viewsploppy

There's no doubt the tolls currently have a throttling effect on traffic entering Wales. On the face of it, it seems obvious that if you remove that throttle then the traffic that now queues at the bridges will just end up adding to the queues in Newport (unless a lot of the traffic goes off to Chepstow/Caldicot). That's without the potential extra traffic - people in Bristol might now be tempted to go shopping in Newport (I can't believe I've just written that). It'll take some very expensive simulation/modelling to analyse the likely effect, but I'd put money on being correct. For me, the M4 Newport relief road is a no-brainer.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 18:41]
Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:37 - Jul 21 with 2559 viewsSwans777

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:34 - Jul 21 by owainglyndwr

Another boost for Cardiff

Yes my friend.
I believe Cardiff will now get 5 points for a win, as a result of abolishing the tolls.
Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:42 - Jul 21 with 2548 viewsPrivate_Partz

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:34 - Jul 21 by raynor94

Well, BBC Wales are reporting a 20% increase in traffic on the M4, and the infrastructure is not up to it, the relief road is desperately

Yeh, BBC Cardiff also reported a few months ago that an 'expert' said Brynglas was the most congested in Europe which is bollo.
It is just commuter traffic that slows the flow down at peak times and there is a decent road South if the tunnels that can be improved for that. The twinning of the Heads of the Valley will more than compensate for any increase in flows anyway.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:44 - Jul 21 with 2542 viewsSwans777

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:30 - Jul 21 by londonlisa2001

Can I ask how both of your statements can possibly be true?

You can ask me whatever you want, my friend.
Firstly, it's a fact that the tolls are be scrapped.
Secondly, it's a fact I've never met anyone who's avoided the tolls because of cost.
This is not about traffic congestion, which is obviously a problem on this important corridor into South Wales.
If we use the logic that scrapping the tolls will increase congestion, then maybe we shouldn't scrap the tolls at all, and instead increase the cost to £50. This would no doubt result in less congestion along the corridor.
Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:44 - Jul 21 with 2539 viewsraynor94

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:42 - Jul 21 by Private_Partz

Yeh, BBC Cardiff also reported a few months ago that an 'expert' said Brynglas was the most congested in Europe which is bollo.
It is just commuter traffic that slows the flow down at peak times and there is a decent road South if the tunnels that can be improved for that. The twinning of the Heads of the Valley will more than compensate for any increase in flows anyway.

Aye, but you are biased

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:45 - Jul 21 with 2536 viewsNeath_Jack

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:42 - Jul 21 by Private_Partz

What is your problem with the Newport relief road? You always stamp your feet when it's mentioned.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:49 - Jul 21 with 2526 viewslondonlisa2001

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:44 - Jul 21 by Swans777

You can ask me whatever you want, my friend.
Firstly, it's a fact that the tolls are be scrapped.
Secondly, it's a fact I've never met anyone who's avoided the tolls because of cost.
This is not about traffic congestion, which is obviously a problem on this important corridor into South Wales.
If we use the logic that scrapping the tolls will increase congestion, then maybe we shouldn't scrap the tolls at all, and instead increase the cost to £50. This would no doubt result in less congestion along the corridor.

No, I meant that if it's true that no one avoids the tolls because of cost, it can't possibly have a billion pound impact on the Welsh economy.

Either it boosts the economy (implication being greater trade) in which case there must be trade being stopped at present due to the tolls, or it doesn't have any effect because no one's behaviour will change.
Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:51 - Jul 21 with 2522 viewsmonmouth

Yes, I would say so. Particularly lorries. This will have a major effect on the M50 and Ross/Monmouth roads, and the A48 in Chepstow, depending on whether the M5/M4 links can cope.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:54 - Jul 21 with 2518 viewsPrivate_Partz

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:45 - Jul 21 by Neath_Jack

What is your problem with the Newport relief road? You always stamp your feet when it's mentioned.

I though that was obvious. Imho it is not needed and there are far cheaper alternatives to ease the commuter traffic. The HOV twinning will ease traffic as well as any traffic heading to, or from, the Midlands or the North will not touch Brynglas anyway.
Margam flyover and beyond us every bit as bad so a billion pound on infrastructure can be much better spent elsewhere.
Apologies to all for repeating myself but glad to clarify it for you ;-)

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:54 - Jul 21 with 2517 viewsSwans777

I don't for one minute suggest there will not be an increase of traffic into South Wales as a result of scrapping the tolls.
Therefore the powers that be, need a kick up the arse and get the M4 corridor especially around Newport, fit for purpose.
An extra £100,000,000 into the South Wales economy, means more jobs, simply put.
Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:58 - Jul 21 with 2507 viewsNeath_Jack

Severn Bridge Tolls on 18:54 - Jul 21 by Private_Partz

I though that was obvious. Imho it is not needed and there are far cheaper alternatives to ease the commuter traffic. The HOV twinning will ease traffic as well as any traffic heading to, or from, the Midlands or the North will not touch Brynglas anyway.
Margam flyover and beyond us every bit as bad so a billion pound on infrastructure can be much better spent elsewhere.
Apologies to all for repeating myself but glad to clarify it for you ;-)

Heads of the Valleys and Margam is not and never will be, the gateway into Wales. IT is the worst bit of road (frustrating) that i drive through, and i'm all over the country every day of my career. It is desperately needed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024