Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whats the point of the League of Wales? 20:16 - Aug 20 with 2601 viewsBarrySwan

I had the misfortune to attend Barry Town's return debut to the Welsh League premier division last Sunday versus Aberystwyth.

Now I'm well used to watching non league football at all levels and certainly wasn't expecting a Man Utd v Man City level blockbuster but to say that I was staggered by the abysmal lack of any recognisable trapping, heading or passing ability on show for the entire game would be the understatement of the decade.

I could barely believe what I was watching and would suggest that if thats the top level of Welsh domestic football then those who were lucky enough to travel to the European championships last Summer had better savour the trip as I wouldn't imagine that there are going to be too many more if the National team is relying on anyone coming through from the League of Wales.

I had to chuckle at the local Barry Gem's report that Barry's Ryan Newman slotted home from close range to take the lead, when I watched a shinned mis hit hoik from 6 yards just make it into an open goal ( all goals welcome of course).

Barry held on to their lead until 15 minutes from the end when according to the Gem reporter Aberystwyth equalised with a highly controversial goal from a corner awarded by the linesman which the Barry goalkeeper 'appeared' to have stopped on the line.

Being located roughly in line with the goal line I would suggest that if the ball had been any more over the line the lady in the burger van behind the goals would have had to hand it back for the resultant kick off.

Needless to say the hoplessly inadequate Barry players did the usual screaming, shouting and swearing at the lino who had just made probably the easist correct decision of his career in awarding the goal, how they had the cheek after a Swansea City type comedy of errors defending the corner in the first place I'll never know.

The whole debacle got me thinking as to what exactly is the point of the League of Wales if this is the standard displayed there? ( I do realise that not all games at any level are classics on any given day) I was a little dismayed to think that these guys actually get paid ( however much or little)

I had to come to the conclusion that the point of the League must be to

a)

Shovel scores of £thousands out of the game each year to players who wouldn't be out of place in a local pub league.

b)

Provide a nice little pay day to to Welsh speaking ex professional footballers to presumably pretend on S4C that the standard of footballing talent in the League isn't that bad after all.

c)

A vehicle to allow the geriatric old buffers on the FAW to continue their freebie trips abroad to watch a couple of pub teams get humiliated in the qualifying stages of the Champions and Europa cup each season.

** Just to contradict everything that I've just written, second half Aberystwyth brought on a little black guy who looked about 15 on the wing who appeared to have more skill in his big toe than the other 21 players put together ( not difficult to achieve of course) he really looked a bit tasty, fast and tricky and should have had a certain penalty, his name was Christian Langos, anyone know anything about him?
[Post edited 20 Aug 2017 20:23]
Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 21:28 - Aug 20 with 2436 viewsjackatbarry

I watched it on tv as I couldn't get to the game and after watching premier league football it wasn't too clever, but there has to be a place for football all levels. I played for the town many years ago and the standard then seemed better than now, but maybe I am looking through rose tinted glasses. Nice to see another Jack in Barry, there are a few of us here.
Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 21:37 - Aug 20 with 2389 viewsKilkennyjack

Gives welsh players a chance to play in Wales ?

I mean Swans and Cardiff don't have any.

Beware of the Risen People

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 21:47 - Aug 20 with 2339 viewsPrivate_Partz

I think the league could be so much better. For some reason many of the bigger population centres in Wales are not there. Neath, Llanelli, Bridgend to name a few and of course Swansea, Newport, Wrexham and Cardiff. This devalues the once decent Welsh Cup competition as well.. I think there should be some initiatives to develope WPL clubs in these areas.
Such representation would enhance the league although I think many if the problems with clubs like Barry and the defunct Neath was they tried to run before the could walk.
There is a massive amount of clubs throughout Wales and the flagship league should have a much higher profile.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2017 9:28]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 21:47 - Aug 20 with 2339 viewsSgorioFruit

I will be around to give the obligatory reply to this article during the week when my anxiety levels have dropped.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 22:15 - Aug 20 with 2243 viewsnantywatcher

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 21:47 - Aug 20 by SgorioFruit

I will be around to give the obligatory reply to this article during the week when my anxiety levels have dropped.

I get the humour - but this highlights a growing problem. If you speak to anyone, in any part of the UK who is involved in amateur or semi- pro football, they will tell the standards have fallen dramatically. Hundreds of teams have folded though lack of numbers, the only exceptions are the over 35 leagues! So when posters complain about the lack of young Welsh blood coming through the system, I believe this problem (youngsters not interested in playing competitively) filters it's way upwards into the highest level.
Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 22:26 - Aug 20 with 2216 viewsDarran

Nobody including the FAW give a shit about this league it's only there because they the Welsh international football team was under threat from FIFA.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 22:29 - Aug 20 with 2203 viewsSwanjaxs

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 22:15 - Aug 20 by nantywatcher

I get the humour - but this highlights a growing problem. If you speak to anyone, in any part of the UK who is involved in amateur or semi- pro football, they will tell the standards have fallen dramatically. Hundreds of teams have folded though lack of numbers, the only exceptions are the over 35 leagues! So when posters complain about the lack of young Welsh blood coming through the system, I believe this problem (youngsters not interested in playing competitively) filters it's way upwards into the highest level.

Youngsters would rather sit in thier bedroom playing FIFA Manager 17 than kicking a ball around nowadays....

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 22:31 - Aug 20 with 2196 viewsJack_y_Jwc

There has to be a League of Wales for us to have a national team, but I agree the standard has dropped considerably from when I followed Carmarthen some 20yrs ago.

Did you know that around £750k is gambled on every WPL match on average

Login to get fewer ads

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 22:38 - Aug 20 with 2170 viewsSwanjaxs

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 22:31 - Aug 20 by Jack_y_Jwc

There has to be a League of Wales for us to have a national team, but I agree the standard has dropped considerably from when I followed Carmarthen some 20yrs ago.

The gambling thing doesn't surprise me in the WPL if I'm honest, i know quite a few past and present Welsh leauge players who like a flutter on certain WPL games ... 😉

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 02:31 - Aug 21 with 1974 viewsLoyal

You have to be pissed.
750k on every match ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 02:43 - Aug 21 with 1972 viewsCooperman

What is the source of that statistic?

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 08:08 - Aug 21 with 1850 viewsMeraki

Whats the point of Sunday league football?

Whats the point of U10s Swansea league?

Whats the point of any sport?

Fvcking thick as fvck.
Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 08:14 - Aug 21 with 1841 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

It's not our fault Barry Town are not as good as years ago when they had sh!t load of money.

It's all about the money ,

And as I watch this league when it's in the Tv I'd say the standard is just as good as years ago or maybe they are fitter .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 09:53 - Aug 21 with 1749 viewsJack_y_Jwc

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 02:43 - Aug 21 by Cooperman

What is the source of that statistic?

It's from the FAW themselves, although I was slightly out with the £750k - it's closer to £650k but still a staggering fact:

"A staggering £124 million is being bet on the Welsh Premier League a season — with an average of £644,000 punted on EVERY match."

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 10:09 - Aug 21 with 1732 viewsJacTawe

Should the FAW be brave and follow the WRU and go regional? Hand pick 10 clubs and back them with coaching strategies to hopefully develop the national sides. Swansea, Wrexham, Newport and Cardiff to be in charge of an area (like the Ospreys are in charge of a certain area) and then have the right to bring promising players to their training squads.

Poll: The anti England chanters, would you vote for Welsh independence?

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 10:28 - Aug 21 with 1697 viewsCooperman

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 09:53 - Aug 21 by Jack_y_Jwc

It's from the FAW themselves, although I was slightly out with the £750k - it's closer to £650k but still a staggering fact:

"A staggering £124 million is being bet on the Welsh Premier League a season — with an average of £644,000 punted on EVERY match."

I'm staggered by that.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 10:47 - Aug 21 with 1663 viewswestwalesed

Allow the clubs who play in the English Pyramid to field B teams or U-21 sides or something.

Also like the idea of going regional - an excellent idea.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 18:52 - Aug 21 with 1419 viewsKilkennyjack

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 10:09 - Aug 21 by JacTawe

Should the FAW be brave and follow the WRU and go regional? Hand pick 10 clubs and back them with coaching strategies to hopefully develop the national sides. Swansea, Wrexham, Newport and Cardiff to be in charge of an area (like the Ospreys are in charge of a certain area) and then have the right to bring promising players to their training squads.

We have not produced a meaningful local player since Ben ffs.

And these pro clubs are businesses, so FAW might be better off feeding and developing welsh talent themselves. Truckloads of Scottish players blocks the development of our local players.

Beware of the Risen People

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 18:58 - Aug 21 with 1405 viewsPrivate_Partz

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 08:14 - Aug 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

It's not our fault Barry Town are not as good as years ago when they had sh!t load of money.

It's all about the money ,

And as I watch this league when it's in the Tv I'd say the standard is just as good as years ago or maybe they are fitter .

I must say I agree with this. I don't think standards have fallen. TNS in the Scottish Cup thingy showed they were more than a match for the Jocks.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Whats the point of the League of Wales? on 19:28 - Aug 21 with 1370 viewsBytholWyn

The standard of the LOW has improved down the years but perhaps not as much as had been hoped for. One good development in recent years that bodes well for the future is with the standard of the pitches, with most of the clubs now having 3G pitches. This can only help develop a better brand of passing football - which would be consistent with the FAWs philosophy.

Here's a leftfield suggestion for you. Given that one of the Trust's stated aims is maintaining professional football in Swansea, why not consider setting up a fully professional side in the WPL? After all, with the 4 £million plus that's coming the Trust's way they could easily establish a very competitive team in the WPL. The European monies earned by The New Saints is sufficient year after year for them to field a fully professional side - in spite of poor crowds and very little revenue from elsewhere. A Swansea WPL team could be the one getting those funds - and probably with much better gates and commercial potential. So there is every reason to think that such a team would be a going concern. Not only that, those involved in running the club could gain relevant experience, such that if they do need to step in and take over SCFC down the line should things go pear-shaped, they already have invaluable experience, rather than being complete novices.

There's also no reason why a Trust WPL Swansea club couldn't have a positive relationship with SCFC, with pathways for players in both directions. An ambitious and forward-thinking trust would certainly consider this possibility.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024