Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ecotricity hippy 18:54 - Sep 13 with 3905 viewsPrivate_Partz

Sticking the boot into the Swansea Lagoon. They support wind farms apparently.
BBC Cardiff love this of course and gave the geezer air time before solemnly pronouncing 'this could not have come at a worse time for Swansea'.....
It ain't looking good for us. I expect the bigger Cardiff project will get the go ahead though.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Ecotricity hippy on 19:26 - Sep 13 with 3405 viewsJackfath

What a scruffy man he is.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Ecotricity hippy on 20:40 - Sep 13 with 3369 viewsScotia

He's also the bloke who owns forest green rovers.
Ecotricity hippy on 22:25 - Sep 13 with 3336 viewsDyfnant

No way would the government commit subsidies worth around £27B for an unproven technology, especially to a firm that can't sort out a £1.2B one

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Ecotricity hippy on 22:34 - Sep 13 with 3331 viewsPrivate_Partz

Ecotricity hippy on 22:25 - Sep 13 by Dyfnant

No way would the government commit subsidies worth around £27B for an unproven technology, especially to a firm that can't sort out a £1.2B one

Very true but you will never prove the technology without giving it a go in the first place. The hippy did make one interesting point about using lagoons in areas of coastal erosion. They only touched on it briefly but the suggestion seemed to be that it could be used as an extra layer of protection for eroding coastlines and generate electricity at the same time. Would still need to get a prototype off the ground though....

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Ecotricity hippy on 22:41 - Sep 13 with 3319 viewsDr_Winston

If the lagoon was such a good idea then they wouldn't need Government subsidy.

Basically it's a money making scheme for the bloke trying to build it who entirely coincidentally also owns the quarry the stone it'll be made of will come from. If Cardiff want one they're more than welcome.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ecotricity hippy on 22:50 - Sep 13 with 3311 viewsDyfnant

Ecotricity hippy on 22:41 - Sep 13 by Dr_Winston

If the lagoon was such a good idea then they wouldn't need Government subsidy.

Basically it's a money making scheme for the bloke trying to build it who entirely coincidentally also owns the quarry the stone it'll be made of will come from. If Cardiff want one they're more than welcome.

Spot on.

Ecotricity hippy on 23:01 - Sep 13 with 3300 viewsDr_Winston

Ecotricity hippy on 22:50 - Sep 13 by Dyfnant

Spot on.

The number of people who would willingly desecrate Swansea Bay to build this nonsense because they think it'll put them one up on Cardiff is f*cking ridiculous.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ecotricity hippy on 09:57 - Sep 14 with 3215 viewsScotia

Ecotricity hippy on 22:34 - Sep 13 by Private_Partz

Very true but you will never prove the technology without giving it a go in the first place. The hippy did make one interesting point about using lagoons in areas of coastal erosion. They only touched on it briefly but the suggestion seemed to be that it could be used as an extra layer of protection for eroding coastlines and generate electricity at the same time. Would still need to get a prototype off the ground though....

Great idea. Let's experiment on Swansea Bay, if it works we'll build a bigger and better one in Cardiff. If it doesn't, it's only Swansea Bay we're destroying.
Login to get fewer ads

Ecotricity hippy on 09:59 - Sep 14 with 3214 viewsPrivate_Partz

Ecotricity hippy on 23:01 - Sep 13 by Dr_Winston

The number of people who would willingly desecrate Swansea Bay to build this nonsense because they think it'll put them one up on Cardiff is f*cking ridiculous.

Well it has been given the nod by independent advisors. One of them again.
Of course it needs government subsidy. It is new technology. For the most part you would not be able to see it in Swansea Bay. It covers a coastline backed by the university and a sewage plant.
How many more times.... it is not a Cardiff v Swansea thing. It's v the rest of Wales.
It is new technology and would create jobs. Unlike fracking which will be foisted on us in no time at all by this govt.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 10:52]

Ecotricity hippy on 11:08 - Sep 14 with 3176 viewsScotia

Ecotricity hippy on 09:59 - Sep 14 by Private_Partz

Well it has been given the nod by independent advisors. One of them again.
Of course it needs government subsidy. It is new technology. For the most part you would not be able to see it in Swansea Bay. It covers a coastline backed by the university and a sewage plant.
How many more times.... it is not a Cardiff v Swansea thing. It's v the rest of Wales.
It is new technology and would create jobs. Unlike fracking which will be foisted on us in no time at all by this govt.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 10:52]

Welsh Government has a moratorium on fracking, it won't be happening anytime soon.

You'll be able to see it all from Swansea Bay, unless you stand behind the Uni and the sewage works. The view is the least of the possible negative impacts.
Ecotricity hippy on 11:16 - Sep 15 with 3068 viewsPrivate_Partz

Ecotricity hippy on 11:08 - Sep 14 by Scotia

Welsh Government has a moratorium on fracking, it won't be happening anytime soon.

You'll be able to see it all from Swansea Bay, unless you stand behind the Uni and the sewage works. The view is the least of the possible negative impacts.

I sit corrected on WAG. It is all the more reason to get this project off the ground if we are not going to frack.

To the good Dr. Apologies for what appeared to be a scolding in element in my post above. I was in a bad mood and did not mean it ;-)

Ecotricity hippy on 18:52 - Sep 15 with 2981 viewsleighton1318

The technology is proven (i.e. It works, as in generating electricity without breaking). See La Rance in France, operating since the 1970s, or any hydro-electric scheme. It's just the monstrous capital costs here (or in most estuaries) that mean it needs subsidy.

And the monstrous corporate infrastructure the guy has built. Didn't know that about him owning the quarry for the barrier ...

Tidal power (in either form, stream or range) is basically good, better than wind, and should be supported
Ecotricity hippy on 18:49 - Sep 29 with 2650 viewsPrivate_Partz

Ecotricity hippy on 18:52 - Sep 15 by leighton1318

The technology is proven (i.e. It works, as in generating electricity without breaking). See La Rance in France, operating since the 1970s, or any hydro-electric scheme. It's just the monstrous capital costs here (or in most estuaries) that mean it needs subsidy.

And the monstrous corporate infrastructure the guy has built. Didn't know that about him owning the quarry for the barrier ...

Tidal power (in either form, stream or range) is basically good, better than wind, and should be supported

Amazing to see that the local Tory MPs and politicians are pressing the Maybot to get this up and running.
Quite incredible that even the Tories make more fuss about it than complacent Carwyn and Co.....

Ecotricity hippy on 19:06 - Sep 29 with 2629 viewsWingstandwood

Ecotricity hippy on 11:16 - Sep 15 by Private_Partz

I sit corrected on WAG. It is all the more reason to get this project off the ground if we are not going to frack.

To the good Dr. Apologies for what appeared to be a scolding in element in my post above. I was in a bad mood and did not mean it ;-)

I have now lost count of all the artists impressions, architects drawings, impressive 3D computer-design video presentations in the South Wales Evening Post over the years.

That new all seater concert hall? That shopping centre project to replace The Quadrant, the lagoon project etc, etc, etc.

My first reaction now when I see/read something 'proposed' something 'state of the art' something 'to take Swansea into the 21st century' etc is to?.............. Cynically think: "Oh, here's another load of fantasty b#llocks". Once bitten twice shy?..... Reapeatedly bitten ad infinitum, always shy more like. The best the city can hope for IMO is for extra floral presentation in Victoria Park or a few more doggie-doo bins!

Argus!

Ecotricity hippy on 19:38 - Sep 29 with 2606 viewsswanforthemoney

Offshore wind is getting cheap enough to operate without much subsidy now. Theyve really got their cost down over the last three years, lagoon is too pricey for anyone to agree to it.

Offshore wind is now producing at £57 per MWh, Swansea lagoon wantes $90

I stand in the North Stand

Ecotricity hippy on 20:15 - Sep 29 with 2582 viewsSwanzay

I truly hope the lagoon never gets the go ahead in its current guise and agree with the Dr.
Ecotricity hippy on 22:38 - Sep 29 with 2540 viewsLoyal

Ecotricity hippy on 19:26 - Sep 13 by Jackfath

What a scruffy man he is.

He was a New Age traveller way back.
Self made man, never judge a book.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Ecotricity hippy on 09:15 - Sep 30 with 2485 viewsPrivate_Partz

Ecotricity hippy on 20:15 - Sep 29 by Swanzay

I truly hope the lagoon never gets the go ahead in its current guise and agree with the Dr.

Surely we need both? Apparently the Lagoon technology is competitive with nuclear pricewise.
I think we are talking about initial investment here. Obviously chucking up windmills all over the place is cheaper but it really does not look that good.
Investment in long term projects must surely be on the table as well.

Ecotricity hippy on 09:41 - Sep 30 with 2468 viewsDr_Winston

Ideally tidal energy is the way to go until we crack fusion, being readily available and utterly reliable, but there have to be better, cheaper, less obvious cash grab methods than this.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Ecotricity hippy on 10:11 - Sep 30 with 2447 viewsmax936

Ecotricity hippy on 23:01 - Sep 13 by Dr_Winston

Spot on the bay is stunning especially when the Tides in, last thing we need is a bleeding Lagoon to blot the view.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Ecotricity hippy on 10:18 - Sep 30 with 2438 viewsDr_Winston

Ecotricity hippy on 11:16 - Sep 15 by Private_Partz

Too late. You're dead to me now.

Ecotricity hippy on 10:19 - Sep 30 with 2433 viewsDr_Winston

Ecotricity hippy on 10:11 - Sep 30 by max936

Spot on the bay is stunning especially when the Tides in, last thing we need is a bleeding Lagoon to blot the view.

Don't get me wrong, the eastern side of the bay is no beauty spot, but plonking a bloody great lagoon in there isn't going to help matters, nor will it aid regeneration when the docks eventually close.

Ecotricity hippy on 10:56 - Sep 30 with 2413 viewsclloy2

Ecotricity hippy on 19:38 - Sep 29 by swanforthemoney

Offshore wind is getting cheap enough to operate without much subsidy now. Theyve really got their cost down over the last three years, lagoon is too pricey for anyone to agree to it.

Offshore wind is now producing at £57 per MWh, Swansea lagoon wantes $90

Correct, but when wind first started they were heavily subsidised to start the industry off and to get people to invest. Our friend from Ecotricity wasn't complaining about the subsidies back then when he was making millions, ten years on, wind turbine technology and know how has advanced to the stage where costs have plummeted and are no longer requiring subsidies to enable them to be built. This is exactly the same process behind tidal lagoon technology, it will need subsidies to start it off and with time they will get bigger, grow their knowledge and expertise and the costs will come down to point that they will be subsidy free. Our friend from Ecotricity is talking through his backside, if he is against subsidies, why doesn't he repay all the subsidies his company has received over previous years.
Ecotricity hippy on 11:57 - Sep 30 with 2383 viewsPrivate_Partz

Ecotricity hippy on 10:56 - Sep 30 by clloy2

Correct, but when wind first started they were heavily subsidised to start the industry off and to get people to invest. Our friend from Ecotricity wasn't complaining about the subsidies back then when he was making millions, ten years on, wind turbine technology and know how has advanced to the stage where costs have plummeted and are no longer requiring subsidies to enable them to be built. This is exactly the same process behind tidal lagoon technology, it will need subsidies to start it off and with time they will get bigger, grow their knowledge and expertise and the costs will come down to point that they will be subsidy free. Our friend from Ecotricity is talking through his backside, if he is against subsidies, why doesn't he repay all the subsidies his company has received over previous years.

I must say I have to agree with you.
Have you seen the maintenance of these things as well? Hundreds of them out at sea. They have to be maintained by boat in fair weather (not an easy task in this country). They have to climb up ladders in the centre of each and every one of them to change the generating gear on a regular basis. Plus they are a blot on the land and seascape. The Lagoon is actually quite attractive and you would be hard pressed to see the thing. It has leisure facilities and research opportunities to boot.
There is good and bad in both. They both require subsidies to kick off. Lagoon technology will become the norm one day I am sure. It is far more consistent than wind as well.
Against this background why not Swansea Bay being the first? It is a far better option than nuclear on so many levels.

Ecotricity hippy on 21:26 - Oct 19 with 1865 viewsDyfnant

Ecotricity hippy on 11:57 - Sep 30 by Private_Partz

I must say I have to agree with you.
Have you seen the maintenance of these things as well? Hundreds of them out at sea. They have to be maintained by boat in fair weather (not an easy task in this country). They have to climb up ladders in the centre of each and every one of them to change the generating gear on a regular basis. Plus they are a blot on the land and seascape. The Lagoon is actually quite attractive and you would be hard pressed to see the thing. It has leisure facilities and research opportunities to boot.
There is good and bad in both. They both require subsidies to kick off. Lagoon technology will become the norm one day I am sure. It is far more consistent than wind as well.
Against this background why not Swansea Bay being the first? It is a far better option than nuclear on so many levels.

It'll be unrecognisable from the artistic impressions shown. Some people think the Liberty looks like a concrete jungle, they better hope this mess never gets off the ground

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024