Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh Premier League, how much money? 15:55 - Jan 5 with 32351 viewswestwalesed

I know it's a terrible standard but I enjoy catching the odd game. Somehow feels more honest in some respects, rickety old grounds, pies and tea from the tea lady, hoofball on mud swamps.

I've always wondered, how much money would you realistically need to win the Welsh Premier and qualify for the Champions League? We all know football success is bought nowadays, sadly. Could it be done on £1million?

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 21:28 - Jan 5 with 5098 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 21:25 - Jan 5 by Dr_Winston

Yes. Almost nobody bothers with Rugby in the North. It's always been a South & West Wales thing.

Football is obviously more popular in the South too.

Aye aye, forget rugby a minute. Are you saying that there is a massive difference between how many people play football in the North/South, and that's the reason the Gogs dominate the WPL?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 21:31 - Jan 5 with 5090 viewsSwanjaxs

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 21:28 - Jan 5 by Neath_Jack

Aye aye, forget rugby a minute. Are you saying that there is a massive difference between how many people play football in the North/South, and that's the reason the Gogs dominate the WPL?

A lot of the North Wales sides players are Merseyside based apparently....

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 21:31 - Jan 5 with 5089 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Most are scoucers playing in north wales

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 21:31 - Jan 5 with 5088 viewsexiledclaseboy

I’d say the reason the smaller League of Wales clubs in the north are more successful in Welsh domestic terms is because the two big professional clubs in Wales are both in the south (and play in the English pyramid) so attract most of the casual fans and money etc away from the smaller League of Wales clubs in the south. No idea if that’s supported by anything, just a potential reason I suppose.

Poll: Tory leader

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 21:33 - Jan 5 with 5079 viewsDr_Winston

Think most of the WPL teams are from mid Wales upwards aren't they?

Nine out of the twelve teams are Newtown and North.

The numbers of players are probably no different but there's always been a large number of clubs from the North.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 21:34 - Jan 5 with 5076 viewsDr_Winston

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 21:31 - Jan 5 by exiledclaseboy

I’d say the reason the smaller League of Wales clubs in the north are more successful in Welsh domestic terms is because the two big professional clubs in Wales are both in the south (and play in the English pyramid) so attract most of the casual fans and money etc away from the smaller League of Wales clubs in the south. No idea if that’s supported by anything, just a potential reason I suppose.

Fair comment that.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 01:07 - Jan 6 with 4995 viewsPentyrchJack

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 16:14 - Jan 5 by Jack_y_Jwc

Doing some back of a fag packet sums - £1m would get you 25 players earning £40k a year. Assuming other revenue streams would pay for the rest, that would surely be enough to win you the league.

Interesting/Pointless facts about the WPL:

1) It's £7 to watch Carmarthen Town but I paid £10 on Boxing Day to sit in the Sponsors Area with a free pint and sandwiches , bargain

2) Cardiff City are thinking of spending £1m on a former Carmarthen Town striker

3) c.£125m is gambled on the WPL each season, which is around £750k per match!

I know that it's true and that £750k per match is astonishing. Wish I knew a bit more about the form.

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 11:12 - Jan 6 with 4924 viewsKilkennyjack

True.
Plus Newport and Merthy also not in the WPL, of course.

Certainly Bridgend, llanelli, and neath could all easily support a WPL team.

And thats ignoring the Swansea, Cardiff and Newport areas.

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 12:13 - Jan 6 with 4889 viewswestwalesed

Nice to see such interest in this thread. I was in the Faroe Islands recently and watched a few games in the league - regularly getting 1k plus crowds and players from abroad. The Welsh Premier should be so much more than it is.

So we need 1000 people putting 1000 pounds up each? Doesn't sound so ridiculous really?!

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 14:24 - Jan 6 with 4857 viewsJack_Kass

how many would go regularly if they changed to a summer league?

Not that I think improved crowds would be enough of an investment, the fact is the quality on the field needs to improve for the league to go anywhere, and it won't while 90% of teams are semi-pro.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 14:26 - Jan 6 with 4854 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 14:24 - Jan 6 by Jack_Kass

how many would go regularly if they changed to a summer league?

Not that I think improved crowds would be enough of an investment, the fact is the quality on the field needs to improve for the league to go anywhere, and it won't while 90% of teams are semi-pro.

What’s the closest Welsh prem club to Swansea?

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 14:26 - Jan 6 with 4854 viewsJack_Kass

I wouldn't underestimate the pull of Liverpool and Manchester clubs on the north though.

I think the pull of those 4 is equal, if not more than us and Cardiff down south.

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 14:33 - Jan 6 with 4846 viewsJack_Kass

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 14:26 - Jan 6 by exiledclaseboy

What’s the closest Welsh prem club to Swansea?

Carmarthen now, years gone by would have been Neath, Port Talbot and Afan Lido.

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 16:39 - Jan 6 with 4809 viewswestwalesed

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 14:33 - Jan 6 by Jack_Kass

Carmarthen now, years gone by would have been Neath, Port Talbot and Afan Lido.

It should be Llanelli next year mind, but yes Carmarthen currently.

Which WPL would have the most potential, in theory? I've often thought Aberystwyth would be a good shout - the town has its own identity, no near rivals and a big University town.

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 17:34 - Jan 6 with 4792 viewsCountyJim

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 11:12 - Jan 6 by Kilkennyjack

True.
Plus Newport and Merthy also not in the WPL, of course.

Certainly Bridgend, llanelli, and neath could all easily support a WPL team.

And thats ignoring the Swansea, Cardiff and Newport areas.

Are you forgetting Kardiff does have two sides in the WPL Met and Barry town
Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 17:39 - Jan 6 with 4788 viewsyescomeon

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 16:39 - Jan 6 by westwalesed

It should be Llanelli next year mind, but yes Carmarthen currently.

Which WPL would have the most potential, in theory? I've often thought Aberystwyth would be a good shout - the town has its own identity, no near rivals and a big University town.

Along the same line of logic as you I would have said Bangor. Thinking about it, it's probably Barry.

On your other point about Faroe, the Welsh league will always be held back by the premier league being on the doorstep (or in the front room with swansea) and the 4 biggest clubs playing in England. The first thing the league needs to do is move to a summer league, they did that in Ireland and the attendances went up. Also help the teams in the early round of Europe as the squads match fit.

Upthecity!

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 18:59 - Jan 6 with 4769 viewsBarrySwan

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 18:40 - Jan 5 by CountyJim

I'm a Ref in the Welsh league and there's guys being paid 200 quid a week at that standard

I'd recalculate if I was you

And I'd go on a sarcasm recognition course if I was you Jim.

I'd like to think that Welsh league refs are a touch more nimble in the mind stakes.
Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 19:01 - Jan 6 with 4766 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh Premier League, how much money? on 18:59 - Jan 6 by BarrySwan

And I'd go on a sarcasm recognition course if I was you Jim.

I'd like to think that Welsh league refs are a touch more nimble in the mind stakes.

I went on a sarcasm recognition course once. It was really, really interesting.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024