Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently 16:15 - Jan 23 with 1970 viewsTummer_from_Texas

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/01/22/oxford-university-gives-women-ti

All the summer students got the extra minutes, both male and female. But then why create and reinforce any stigmas by stating that this was done only because "female candidates might be more likely to be adversely affected by time pressure?"
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 16:23]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 16:21 - Jan 23 with 1942 viewslonglostjack

My wife and daughter are definitely more affected by time pressure in the bathroom than my son and I.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 16:31 - Jan 23 with 1924 viewsMo_Wives

Sir, Sir, I know Sir...

The answer is unconscious bias

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 18:08 - Jan 23 with 1861 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Irrespective of the story we absolutely should treat people differently in order to achieve equality.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Nothing says on 18:21 - Jan 23 with 1848 viewsswanjackal

This story is better

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/01/22/oxford-university-student-discip

Disciplined,........but came first place in the fancy dress award

Edit: Just read the article and saw that a kid got disciplined for dressing up as Harvey Weinstein FFS. Don't think I'd last long on campus with some of my T-Shirt designs.

[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 18:48]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 19:01 - Jan 23 with 1774 viewsexiledclaseboy

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 18:08 - Jan 23 by Joe_bradshaw

Irrespective of the story we absolutely should treat people differently in order to achieve equality.

Good luck with that. I agree by the way.

Poll: Tory leader

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 19:32 - Jan 23 with 1739 viewslondonlisa2001

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 18:08 - Jan 23 by Joe_bradshaw

God Joe, the complexity of the argument contained within that simple sentence will cause a breakdown in some.
Nothing says on 19:52 - Jan 23 with 1711 viewsPozuelosSideys

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 19:32 - Jan 23 by londonlisa2001

God Joe, the complexity of the argument contained within that simple sentence will cause a breakdown in some.

So the extra 15 minutes thing..

I know. When the Olympics 100m Final is next on. The men and women can run at the same time. But the women have 2 seconds removed from their time. Fairs fair.

Exams are about competing. If you fold because of "pressure", whatever your gender, your ethnicity, whatever. Tough!!! Exams and grades are a measuring stick, whats the point in having them if the playing field is not equal?

Also, by giving ALL women an extra 15 minutes, doesnt this just stereotype and generalise all women? Ufff slippery slope.

Edit, sry didnt mean to quote you!
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 19:53]

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Nothing says on 20:14 - Jan 23 with 1681 viewslondonlisa2001

Nothing says on 19:52 - Jan 23 by PozuelosSideys

So the extra 15 minutes thing..

I know. When the Olympics 100m Final is next on. The men and women can run at the same time. But the women have 2 seconds removed from their time. Fairs fair.

Exams are about competing. If you fold because of "pressure", whatever your gender, your ethnicity, whatever. Tough!!! Exams and grades are a measuring stick, whats the point in having them if the playing field is not equal?

Also, by giving ALL women an extra 15 minutes, doesnt this just stereotype and generalise all women? Ufff slippery slope.

Edit, sry didnt mean to quote you!
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 19:53]

They gave both men and women extra time Poz. Not one additional second was given to a woman.

The headline is completely misleading.

File under nonsense.
Login to get fewer ads

Nothing says on 20:19 - Jan 23 with 1672 viewsPozuelosSideys

Nothing says on 20:14 - Jan 23 by londonlisa2001

They gave both men and women extra time Poz. Not one additional second was given to a woman.

The headline is completely misleading.

File under nonsense.

Good. I can climb back in my box.

Although my other point i was gonna make still stands. To me, the whole 15 minutes thing just screams out that the University havent prepped their students well enough. A sticking plaster.

Why havent they identified/offered the students additional tuition, help with managing pressure, psychological assistance etc? Theyve had at least 3 years to help them with this. Whats the point in doing the 15 minutes? Theyre meant to be the pinacle uni with top students!

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

Nothing says on 20:27 - Jan 23 with 1662 viewslondonlisa2001

Nothing says on 20:19 - Jan 23 by PozuelosSideys

Good. I can climb back in my box.

Although my other point i was gonna make still stands. To me, the whole 15 minutes thing just screams out that the University havent prepped their students well enough. A sticking plaster.

Why havent they identified/offered the students additional tuition, help with managing pressure, psychological assistance etc? Theyve had at least 3 years to help them with this. Whats the point in doing the 15 minutes? Theyre meant to be the pinacle uni with top students!

Reading between the lines, they want to have a higher percentage getting higher degrees. It being maths / computing type stuff, there is almost certainly a direct correlation between a bit of extra time and completing more of the paper.

They don't want to admit it, so have come up with an excuse they think will resonate in the current climate (which will be nonsense, - they won't care).

Simple as that.
Nothing says on 20:32 - Jan 23 with 1652 viewsPozuelosSideys

Nothing says on 20:27 - Jan 23 by londonlisa2001

Reading between the lines, they want to have a higher percentage getting higher degrees. It being maths / computing type stuff, there is almost certainly a direct correlation between a bit of extra time and completing more of the paper.

They don't want to admit it, so have come up with an excuse they think will resonate in the current climate (which will be nonsense, - they won't care).

Simple as that.

Has it really come to that then?

What happens when (eventually im sure) they are forced to take a relatively large quota of students from places where maybe the talent pool is not so rich, and overall results nosedive as a result (relatively speaking)?

That doesnt only impact their reputation, but it will impact them financially over time too.

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 20:36 - Jan 23 with 1638 viewsLeonWasGod

Why can't people just face the fact that men are better at some things. Like parallel parking, sorting out compost and putting the bins out. It's in our DNA.
Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 20:42 - Jan 23 with 1619 viewsexiledclaseboy

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 20:36 - Jan 23 by LeonWasGod

Why can't people just face the fact that men are better at some things. Like parallel parking, sorting out compost and putting the bins out. It's in our DNA.

I’m great at bins. And since I got a reverse parking sensor on my car I’m great at that too. We’re havung a kitchen fitted this week though and I do feel massively inadequate watching a skilled tradesmen at his work. Changing a light bulb is my limit and to be honest even that is hit and miss.

Poll: Tory leader

Nothing says on 20:45 - Jan 23 with 1611 viewsPozuelosSideys

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 20:36 - Jan 23 by LeonWasGod

Speaking of cars.

Did you know, despite all the various issues the EU has been involved, despite all the gender equality stuff, men still pay a far larger premium for car insurance than women.

Just sayin' like.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 20:46]

Nothing says "equality" like treating people differently on 20:47 - Jan 23 with 1602 viewsBrynCartwright

Adding 15 minutes for all students is fine though I cannot but think that students that gained better grades prior to the timing change may be more highly regarded in the job market.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024