Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert 12:56 - Jan 25 with 4877 viewsFlashberryjack

Am I missing something or what ?
Be interested to hear what you lot think.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42776454

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:00 - Jan 25 with 3653 viewsexiledclaseboy

It depends what you think she might be missing.

Poll: Tory leader

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:01 - Jan 25 with 3651 viewspikeypaul

Her lawyer was on radio 5 on Tuesday,he was asked how much they were seeking,despite his initial reluctance to answer when pushed he came up with £6000.

He also said it is a legal requirement for any organisation offering a public performance even down to someone singing in a pub to offer the same experience to the disabled that the able bodied get.

That includes the supply of sign language interpreters for any deaf people in the audience .
[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 13:12]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:03 - Jan 25 with 3646 viewsexiledclaseboy

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:01 - Jan 25 by pikeypaul

Her lawyer was on radio 5 on Tuesday,he was asked how much they were seeking,despite his initial reluctance to answer when pushed he came up with £6000.

He also said it is a legal requirement for any organisation offering a public performance even down to someone singing in a pub to offer the same experience to the disabled that the able bodied get.

That includes the supply of sign language interpreters for any deaf people in the audience .
[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 13:12]

I heard that. Nicky Campbell was keen to imply that this was nothing but a vexatious money-making exercise from the woman involved.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 13:08]

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:09 - Jan 25 with 3624 viewsswanjackal

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:00 - Jan 25 by exiledclaseboy

It depends what you think she might be missing.

Her hearing?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:10 - Jan 25 with 3616 viewsexiledclaseboy

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:09 - Jan 25 by swanjackal

Her hearing?

Boom boom. Tattifilarious.

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:20 - Jan 25 with 3584 viewsswanjackal

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:10 - Jan 25 by exiledclaseboy

Boom boom. Tattifilarious.

To be honest, Shechter would have had difficulty missing that tap in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:24 - Jan 25 with 3574 viewsFlashberryjack

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:03 - Jan 25 by exiledclaseboy

I heard that. Nicky Campbell was keen to imply that this was nothing but a vexatious money-making exercise from the woman involved.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 13:08]

I can understand a blind person going to a football match and having someone narrating the games action to him/her.

But how could this woman watch the supporting bands and read the hand signs of the interpreter at the same time?

Money making is probably the answer.

Hello

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:31 - Jan 25 with 3565 viewsswanjackal

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:24 - Jan 25 by Flashberryjack

I can understand a blind person going to a football match and having someone narrating the games action to him/her.

But how could this woman watch the supporting bands and read the hand signs of the interpreter at the same time?

Also, lyrics are notoriously difficult to interpret, even with two good ears. Artists change lyrics on stage too. She strikes me as someone who would sue the interpreter for getting the supposed lyrics incorrect too.

[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 13:32]

Login to get fewer ads

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:35 - Jan 25 with 3551 viewslondonlisa2001

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:24 - Jan 25 by Flashberryjack

Presumably the same way she did when Little Mix were on stage?

The legal argument will quite possibly come down to whether supporting acts are actually part of the contract or an additional extra thrown in for no further consideration. Did the advertising and ticket say Little Mix or Little Mix plus guests or Little Mix and named support etc. Would tickets have been priced differently if there was no support? The promoter will, I imagine, argue that the tickets are only purchased for Little Mix and the support is provided for no extra ticket cost.

Could people demand a refund if it was advertised with support and there was no support?

That sort of thing.
Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:41 - Jan 25 with 3532 viewsjack2jack

Was this for the mother or for her daughter and friends?
Seems like its all about the mother, so she had signing for the Little Mix concert, which she wanted, where's the problem.
As far as I would be concerned if the kids were happy job done.
Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:42 - Jan 25 with 3528 viewsHighjack

Being deaf at a little mix concert? Id be the happiest bastard in the room.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:46 - Jan 25 with 3509 viewsDarran

I recently sat next to a deaf fella at a Little Steven gig in Bristol.

The band had provided him with a set list and the lyrics to very song and during the show he held a half blown up balloon in his hand so he could feel the vibrations through it.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:47 - Jan 25 with 3515 viewslondonlisa2001

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:41 - Jan 25 by jack2jack

Seems like its all about the mother, so she had signing for the Little Mix concert, which she wanted, where's the problem.

It is probably a precedent case. It's not really about the particular woman.

The law at the moment is quite unclear as it only says that reasonable adjustments need to be made. This may clarify what that means in practice. How big venues need to be perhaps before it is provided, whether it's for the whole concert or just main act, etc etc.

The bit mentioned before about pub singers is not relevant as that wouldn't be deemed reasonable, in the same way as a public library doesn't have to make all books it has available in audio format or Braille for the blind.
Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:48 - Jan 25 with 3505 viewslondonlisa2001

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:46 - Jan 25 by Darran

I recently sat next to a deaf fella at a Little Steven gig in Bristol.

The band had provided him with a set list and the lyrics to very song and during the show he held a half blown up balloon in his hand so he could feel the vibrations through it.

That's a good idea - the balloon bit I mean.
Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:56 - Jan 25 with 3474 viewspikeypaul

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:41 - Jan 25 by jack2jack

The 2 children are not deaf.

The mother and her 2 adult friends are.

She wanted signing for the support acts.

Nicky Cambell ripped the lawyer to pieces.

[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 14:01]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:06 - Jan 25 with 3450 viewslondonlisa2001

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:56 - Jan 25 by pikeypaul

What is Nicky Campbell's legal expertise then?
Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:23 - Jan 25 with 3419 viewsProfessor

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:06 - Jan 25 by londonlisa2001

What is Nicky Campbell's legal expertise then?

Same as mine.

It is a real issue for universities and where we draw the line. A greater problem still if there is a professional or clinical competency issue.
Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:29 - Jan 25 with 3402 viewslondonlisa2001

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:23 - Jan 25 by Professor

Same as mine.

It is a real issue for universities and where we draw the line. A greater problem still if there is a professional or clinical competency issue.

As I said, the law is unclear as it states 'reasonable'. That's why these precedent cases are used, to attempt to clarify 'where you draw the line'.

I am not sure what you mean by 'it's a real issue for universities'. It's a real issue in general, not least for the people who are disabled.
Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:31 - Jan 25 with 3394 viewsBobby_Fischer

Whats the £6000 for??

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:36 - Jan 25 with 3379 viewsjack2jack

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 13:56 - Jan 25 by pikeypaul

That's right, and I stand by what I say, mind i'm a bit surprised they had to request signing, thought it was a given at concerts these days, especially ones specifically aimed at kids.
Like the ideas in Darrens post, very good.
I appreciate Lisa's point that is a test case, but isn't there better ways of campaigning, without trying to make a few bucks off the back of it.
Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:37 - Jan 25 with 3374 viewsProfessor

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:29 - Jan 25 by londonlisa2001

As I said, the law is unclear as it states 'reasonable'. That's why these precedent cases are used, to attempt to clarify 'where you draw the line'.

I am not sure what you mean by 'it's a real issue for universities'. It's a real issue in general, not least for the people who are disabled.

Like you say it is adapting to meet needs -buildings can be an issue. My bugbear is lecture streaming and expectations that you go out of the way to meet specific requirements of every individual. Fees have lead to expectations that cannot be delivered. The new office for students being an example. Fine if teaching is the only business, but challenging for staff who are mainly engaged for research. If I am in Malawi for example I can’t meet a student the
Next day. The role of a university is not simple
Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:41 - Jan 25 with 3367 viewslondonlisa2001

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:36 - Jan 25 by jack2jack

That's right, and I stand by what I say, mind i'm a bit surprised they had to request signing, thought it was a given at concerts these days, especially ones specifically aimed at kids.
Like the ideas in Darrens post, very good.
I appreciate Lisa's point that is a test case, but isn't there better ways of campaigning, without trying to make a few bucks off the back of it.

Campaigning is all very well, but to create a legal precedent you need to turn to the law. And the law is what promoters (in this example) will look at when they make provision in the future.

The amount they're claiming is small - probably the costs involved if costs are not awarded against the other party (which would be less likely in these cases where there isn't a clear breach).
Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:44 - Jan 25 with 3362 viewsFlashberryjack

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:31 - Jan 25 by Bobby_Fischer

Whats the £6000 for??

Probably for a holiday to help her recover from the traumatising experience she suffered.

Hello

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:44 - Jan 25 with 3362 viewsHighjack

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:31 - Jan 25 by Bobby_Fischer

Whats the £6000 for??

For £6000 you could probably employ a member of little mix to come around and clean your house every week.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:47 - Jan 25 with 3354 viewswobbly

Deaf Woman to sue after Little Mix concert on 14:44 - Jan 25 by Highjack

For £6000 you could probably employ a member of little mix to come around and clean your house every week.

Could I choose the member and the uniform? If so, I’d definitely pay 6k for that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024