Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mumbles Face Lift 17:28 - Mar 6 with 1780 viewsmax936

on route to Pier

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/dramatic-new-seafront-look-mumbles

Very nice it looks to.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Mumbles Face Lift on 17:54 - Mar 6 with 1743 viewsAmbergambler

All the improvements to Mumbles attracting more visitors the big problem that the council is completely ignoring is how to get in and out, especially at peak times?
Mumbles Face Lift on 18:03 - Mar 6 with 1730 viewsmax936

Mumbles Face Lift on 17:54 - Mar 6 by Ambergambler

All the improvements to Mumbles attracting more visitors the big problem that the council is completely ignoring is how to get in and out, especially at peak times?

Yep, plus there'll be less parking spaces and if they carryout the project that was planned for the headland that car park by the Apple will also be lost.

Mumbles Face Lift on 18:42 - Mar 6 with 1677 viewsjack2jack

It does need a make over no doubt, the trouble is that will generate more visitors, which in itself is a problem as the infra structure just isn't there to cope with it.
You only have to visit there on a bank holiday to see the problem.
Mumbles Face Lift on 18:50 - Mar 6 with 1660 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Mumbles Face Lift on 17:54 - Mar 6 by Ambergambler

Would be great to see a monorail serving the mumbles, which was once sounded out i think?
Mumbles Face Lift on 18:51 - Mar 6 with 1655 viewsJackfath

The Gower Society will have something to say about this I expect!

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Mumbles Face Lift on 18:52 - Mar 6 with 1656 viewsjack2jack

Mumbles Face Lift on 18:50 - Mar 6 by blaenaugwentjack

Would be great to see a monorail serving the mumbles, which was once sounded out i think?

Or maybe a tram system...oh hang on!!!!!!!!!
Mumbles Face Lift on 18:57 - Mar 6 with 1644 viewsBobby_Fischer

Looks terrible, like an office block on the seafront!

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Mumbles Face Lift on 19:05 - Mar 6 with 1635 viewsjack2jack

Mumbles Face Lift on 18:57 - Mar 6 by Bobby_Fischer

Looks terrible, like an office block on the seafront!

Doesn't really fit in, how planners are allow to get away with this sort of vandalism, beggars belief.
Login to get fewer ads

Mumbles Face Lift on 19:24 - Mar 6 with 1602 viewsmax936

Mumbles Face Lift on 19:05 - Mar 6 by jack2jack

Doesn't really fit in, how planners are allow to get away with this sort of vandalism, beggars belief.

There's a few new buildings gone up along the front with a similar look, one virtually next door to Pilot is one.

Mumbles Face Lift on 19:33 - Mar 6 with 1587 viewsjack2jack

Mumbles Face Lift on 19:24 - Mar 6 by max936

There's a few new buildings gone up along the front with a similar look, one virtually next door to Pilot is one.

They are fairly small scale though Max, you don't really notice in the grand scheme of things and I think the new development by Bistro Pierre is reasonably well done.
The trouble is, it will be done to a price, with cheap materials, that are not in keeping with the area.Im all for an make over but you don't want to ruin the character of the place.What they are proposing there is right on the sea front, and as someone has already said it looks crap, just generic, just my opinion of course FWIW.
Mumbles Face Lift on 20:06 - Mar 6 with 1547 viewsmax936

Mumbles Face Lift on 19:33 - Mar 6 by jack2jack

They are fairly small scale though Max, you don't really notice in the grand scheme of things and I think the new development by Bistro Pierre is reasonably well done.
The trouble is, it will be done to a price, with cheap materials, that are not in keeping with the area.Im all for an make over but you don't want to ruin the character of the place.What they are proposing there is right on the sea front, and as someone has already said it looks crap, just generic, just my opinion of course FWIW.

I agree, I'd hate to see properties built on the headland, the pier needs to be repaired though urgently as well, the area is iconic though and yes I'd hate to see it spoilt.
Its unlike the Marina where something had to be done and the front is much improved and for the better, that area of mumbles maybe needs a tidy up, but not to the detriment of its look.

Mumbles Face Lift on 20:10 - Mar 6 with 1531 viewsjack2jack

Mumbles Face Lift on 20:06 - Mar 6 by max936

I agree, I'd hate to see properties built on the headland, the pier needs to be repaired though urgently as well, the area is iconic though and yes I'd hate to see it spoilt.
Its unlike the Marina where something had to be done and the front is much improved and for the better, that area of mumbles maybe needs a tidy up, but not to the detriment of its look.

I agree 👍
Mumbles Face Lift on 20:45 - Mar 6 with 1489 viewsGowerjack

It looks awful.

Maximum profit for the site owner no thought or care for our heritage or the natural beauty of the area.

No doubt will be built using the cheapest available materials and being in such an exposed area will deteriorate very quickly.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Mumbles Face Lift on 20:52 - Mar 6 with 1474 viewsjack247

Mumbles Face Lift on 19:33 - Mar 6 by jack2jack

Just your opinion, but you’re bang on.

It looks like the kind of bland, identikit shit they’d build in Tiger Bay. If you’re going to develop the place, do it properly. Oyster Wharf was done well IMO. This just looks tacky.
Mumbles Face Lift on 21:50 - Mar 6 with 1413 viewsPrivate_Partz

Mumbles Face Lift on 18:52 - Mar 6 by jack2jack

Or maybe a tram system...oh hang on!!!!!!!!!

Incredible isn't it? Mumbles has a massive parking problem. Mumbles Road is one of the busiest urban roadways in Europe and we have not got the gumption to bring back the first passenger railway in the world to massively eliviate the problem.
The development does not look great but we need to be careful here. The pier is crumbling into the sea and we can't have one without t'other.
The designs need improvement and hopefully these can be tweaked.
The Gower Society are already on their high horse.
We could easily be left with a mess similar to the old terminus in Oystermouth if we are not careful.
The pier needs 2m worth of improvement and it won't happen without further development of the surrounding area.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Mumbles Face Lift on 22:12 - Mar 6 with 1390 viewsjack2jack

Mumbles Face Lift on 21:50 - Mar 6 by Private_Partz

Incredible isn't it? Mumbles has a massive parking problem. Mumbles Road is one of the busiest urban roadways in Europe and we have not got the gumption to bring back the first passenger railway in the world to massively eliviate the problem.
The development does not look great but we need to be careful here. The pier is crumbling into the sea and we can't have one without t'other.
The designs need improvement and hopefully these can be tweaked.
The Gower Society are already on their high horse.
We could easily be left with a mess similar to the old terminus in Oystermouth if we are not careful.
The pier needs 2m worth of improvement and it won't happen without further development of the surrounding area.

I know we've done this before and I don't want to bang on about the Trams, but that was just a travesty.The cost of reinstating the trams are probably prohibitive, in terms of practicality, and in Engineering terms.
I agree something needs to be done, as large sections of the seawall are way past their sell buy date, but it really needs some thought, and a lot of consultation with the local community needs to be carried out, as the impact of the wrong type of development could be detrimental to the area.
My biggest problem with this type of thing is that the people driving these developments are not locals, most sit remotely and come up with ideas, without due regard to the overall impact on the area, again it's all money driven.I appreciate that the one in the article is lead by the pier owners, however this will only set a precedent, for future remote developers.
I'm not saying we sit on our hands, but it has to be done in the correct manner, which will benefit everyone.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2018 22:30]
Mumbles Face Lift on 22:26 - Mar 6 with 1357 viewsPrivate_Partz

Mumbles Face Lift on 22:12 - Mar 6 by jack2jack

I know we've done this before and I don't want to bang on about the Trams, but that was just a travesty.The cost of reinstating the trams are probably prohibitive, in terms of practicality, and in Engineering terms.
I agree something needs to be done, as large sections of the seawall are way past their sell buy date, but it really needs some thought, and a lot of consultation with the local community needs to be carried out, as the impact of the wrong type of development could be detrimental to the area.
My biggest problem with this type of thing is that the people driving these developments are not locals, most sit remotely and come up with ideas, without due regard to the overall impact on the area, again it's all money driven.I appreciate that the one in the article is lead by the pier owners, however this will only set a precedent, for future remote developers.
I'm not saying we sit on our hands, but it has to be done in the correct manner, which will benefit everyone.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2018 22:30]

I am not so sure about the prohibitive cost of reinestsing a mumbles tram system. Land reclamation will be needed at certain points but just look at Verdi's car park. A massive amount was reclaimed there.
The proposed new development looks like it has an element of this as well.
I reckon it could be done with a combo of land reclamation at the pinch points with boardwalks for those on foot/ cycling.
Where there is a will etc....

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Mumbles Face Lift on 22:54 - Mar 6 with 1320 viewsjack2jack

Mumbles Face Lift on 22:26 - Mar 6 by Private_Partz

I am not so sure about the prohibitive cost of reinestsing a mumbles tram system. Land reclamation will be needed at certain points but just look at Verdi's car park. A massive amount was reclaimed there.
The proposed new development looks like it has an element of this as well.
I reckon it could be done with a combo of land reclamation at the pinch points with boardwalks for those on foot/ cycling.
Where there is a will etc....

I'm not saying it can't be done, let's say it cost £50 million to run a tram and all its infrastructure from Swansea to Mumbles, which is probably not far off, then I believe its not going to happen.
As far as the proposed development goes, I'm just concerned that, what could follow, could be detrimental to the area in terms of over/poor development.
Mumbles Face Lift on 01:16 - Mar 7 with 1239 viewsAguycalledJack

A block of flats gos up in mumbles, why would that make me want to visit?

Are there any bars on restraunts linked to this development? Any attractions at all?
Mumbles Face Lift on 08:41 - Mar 7 with 1119 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Mumbles Face Lift on 18:51 - Mar 6 by Jackfath

The Gower Society will have something to say about this I expect!

Why Mumbles is not part of the Gower ANOB

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Mumbles Face Lift on 08:48 - Mar 7 with 1106 viewsBobby_Fischer

Mumbles Face Lift on 08:41 - Mar 7 by felixstowe_jack

Why Mumbles is not part of the Gower ANOB

From their website:

"The Society’s interest covers all of the lordship — an area bounded by the rivers Tawe, Llwchwr, Cathan, Amman and Twrch."

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024