Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. 12:42 - Jun 3 with 10166 viewsjohnlangy

The latest article on the Nation Cymru website.

‘For the UK Government, Wales is just not important,’ First Minister Carwyn Jones said in response to the revelation that Westminster had just pulled the plug on Swansea’s proposed Tidal Lagoon.

This belated realisation has come after a string of disappointments, including the decision to scrap the electrification of the railroad to Swansea.

Wales has long believed that if it shows its loyalty to Westminster, it will be rewarded. Like an eager dog, it keeps coming back for another kicking.

Of course, this belief flies directly in the face of reality. Compare and contrast how Westminster deal with the SNP Government in Scotland compared to the Labour government in Wales.

Westminster rewards dissent, they reward countries that stand up for themselves. Loyalty, meanwhile, is taken as a signal to treat you like a doormat.

One would hope that the First Minister’s realisation marks a turning point in Wales’ relationship with the UK establishment, which has been characterised by unending loyalty on one side and neglect on the other for the best part of 500 years.

However, his likely successor, Mark Drakeford, gave in to Westminster’s ‘power grab’ on the basis that defending the union was his most important consideration!

If you are in a neglectful and abusive marriage, the last thing you should do is say: ‘However you treat me, our marriage is the most important thing.’

What you do say is: ‘Start treating me right or I’m going to leave you.’

Power

We need to take for granted that Westminster does not care about Wales. That needs to be the starting point for Wales in all our considerations.

And why would they? If I was UK Prime Minister, docile old Wales would be the last thing on my mind too, unless I was planning a walking holiday.

The current UK Government is, in effect, a London and South-East England nationalist party.

Their idea of a ‘union’ is not to strengthen all parts of the UK equally, but to draw cultural, economic and political power slowly and surely into one corner of Britain.

Some politicians and media would like to treat ‘Welsh nationalism’ as an expletive, but all it means in practice is standing up for ourselves and saying that this is unfair.

The people of Wales need to wake up to this. There is no good reason why much of Wales is the poorest part of western Europe, while just down the road we have, in London, the richest part of Western Europe.

There is nothing natural about this concentration of wealth. It’s because the Government sprays money at London and centralises power there, while giving as little as it can to Wales.

The Government spends £2,700 per head on transport in London. The figure in Wales is closer to £100. London is getting Crossrail, HS2, Crossrail 2 and who knows what else will be in the pipeline.

Meanwhile, their only major contribution to Wales’ infrastructure recently has been to rename a bridge, something the majority of people in Wales were against anyway.

Wealth

So, Wales needs to ask itself a few questions: Why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth over and over?

Why do we allow people who don’t represent us — why have no understanding of Wales and its people — to make decisions at Westminster without taking our needs into consideration at all?

Think about the contribution Wales makes, and has made, to the UK.

The UK was built on the iron and coal made in Wales. But even then Wales was treated like a colony, trillions of pounds worth of goods exported, while the majority of our people lived in destitution.

Today, the relationship is just as one way. The UK couldn’t survive without the energy, from nuclear, wind and tides, from Wales, and without our vast reservoirs of water England would dry up like a raisin.

Multinational companies with offices in London feed off our cheap labour. Our children are always the first to be signed up for foreign wars. Wales gets no reward for this.

But the greatest resource Wales has is its people. And by denying Wales its fair share, Westminster is robbing us of that resource too.

Our young people want to leave our decaying towns, villages and cities and go to London and England’s South East. And who can blame them for going to where the wealth and opportunity is?

You can’t find a single father in Wales who will say, ‘I can’t wait for my son to join me at the call centre.’

There is no reason why Wales should put up with this. The ordinary working people of Wales have a right to demand a fair share of the UK’s wealth, and that means proper investment.

Wales needs to demand its fair share of investment so that the country has a future. So that our kids have the opportunity to live and study here and not to have to leave our country to find work.

We all love Wales and want to live happy, prosperous lives here, see our children and grandchildren grow up here, we want to retire here, and be buried here.

But that means that we have to fight, because at the moment our country is being sucked dry of all ambition and potential, and left to stagnate.

Anger

This isn’t about grievance. This isn’t anyone else’s fault. It’s not England’s fault, it’s not even the Tories’ fault — this is our fault. We have allowed ourselves to be treated this way, by being supine, and electing supine politicians to represent us.

We need to fight for recognition and respect. And we can’t sit around and wait for other people’s permission to do it.

We know the working people of Wales are tired of being treated like this. That is what was behind the Brexit vote, although their faith in charlatans like Farage, Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg was misplaced.

These politicians, who don’t understand Wales, have taken advantage of people’s anger and frustration to further roll back regulation that will leave working people at the mercy of global economic winds.

As it has in Scotland, the change here in Wales will happen when we elected people who will fight for what is best for the people of Wales, not what is best for the already wealthy in London and the South East of England.

And like Scotland, if we come together and demand that we’re treated differently, they will have no choice but to do so.

Under the current circumstances, the Welsh Government’s claim that they’re ‘standing up for Wales’ is a joke.

They’re on their knees, complaining about being kicked in the teeth while thanking Westminster for their benevolence.

If they won’t stand up for Wales, it’s time to elect someone who will. It’s up to us.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:40 - Jun 4 with 2413 viewsjohnlangy

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 07:46 - Jun 4 by trampie

I thought it might have been the new party Jaco was behind, although its the first time I have heard the name and had to google it.

I'm on the left myself, solid left, I think Jaco is more centre right, Plaid represent my stand point, Leanne particularly has the same politics as me, all be it she is younger.
She was a radical in her younger days, perhaps Plaid would be better off if she was full on revolution and fully into the blame game with its their fault over there and come judgement day watch out and all that, but she is too nice to act the attack dog.

One group that certainly is making a splash is 'Yes Cymru', they are not aligned to any political party, they seem to have grown rapidly, have lots of rallies, marches etc, lots of well known speakers, Jaco's party is saying they are also non aligned, I think there is a similar movement with huge followings in Scotland as well, my first thoughts were that some people don't like the politics of Plaid and even the super successful SNP and also that both are not pushing independence enough, is something i have read by people saying why they are joining such movements and that both are too close and too cosy to the establishment.

These groups seem to be nicey nice groups also, who is behind the 'Yes' movement ???, I initially thought 'they would not get off the ground, then I thought when they most definitely did get off the ground that they would potentially take votes off Plaid/SNP if they stood in elections, I don't know if they intend standing in the future ?, I don't recall such movements gaining a foothold before but they certainly seem to have.

It is the same party Trampie. One thing

Yes Cymru is making a splash as you say. If you go into the website and check out the number of groups there are you'll get the drift. But they are a movement (and a substantial one at that), not a party as such so won't be taking votes off anyone. But they are definitely pro Indy.

I can't remember off hand who actually started Yes Cymru. And you say nicey, nicey. I don't care how nicely they say it so long as they are saying YES to Independence.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:44 - Jun 4 with 2412 viewsjohnlangy

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:40 - Jun 4 by pikeypaul

Should be interesting.

I just hope it’s not full of Labour arse licking loonies like PC is.

It will be.

And, as far as I know there's not one Labour arse licking loonie among us .
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:47 - Jun 4 with 2409 viewspikeypaul

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:44 - Jun 4 by johnlangy

It will be.

And, as far as I know there's not one Labour arse licking loonie among us .

In that case you will get my and the rest of my families vote.

Good luck.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:55 - Jun 4 with 2400 viewstrampie

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:27 - Jun 4 by johnlangy

I agree. It's only one measure. And I also agree that, because these numbers show an apparently strong economy that doesn't mean that the benefits flow down to everyone.

I read recently that London and the South East is the richest part of Europe (or was it just London ?). And here in West Wales we are living in the poorest part of North Western Europe.

And the article is making the point that that's exactly how it's going to stay. In fact it's probably going to get worse.

Ive been meaning to look up how GDP is worked out etc, I know South West Wales fairly well and im not talking about Swansea at all more like Carmarthenshire and some of the parts I know of are 'well off', nice detached properties with land, nice cars on the drive, nice rural villages etc, I look around and think where is the poverty ? - they tend to be older retired people, some retired there from England, the people that do work tend to be professionals commuting to Carmarthen or Swansea [teachers, solicitors, accountants etc].

Now then there is little work as such, younger people in lots of cases will move on, but poverty what poverty ?, I know im focusing on the nicer areas/villages and there are some more down market areas that are close to the edge of the old South Wales coalfield, but it amazes me how these things are worked out, lots of Londoners would give an arm and a leg to live in such places, Cotswold villages and the Surrey stockbroker belt would not be a lot better places to live for the 'good life', so im not sure how such things are measured.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 10:15 - Jun 4 with 2370 viewstrampie

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 08:56 - Jun 4 by Private_Partz

B Hell Trampie! You dragged me over the coals for saying exactly the same thing as JL. Even started a thread with my name in the title to battle on.
What has JL got that I haven't? We were on the same side after all. :-))

Ive been voting Plaid for 30 years, johnlangy been a member for 10 years, you seem to have been voting for Unionist parties until recently taking an interest in Plaid as they are saying what you want to hear, but its a bit rich somebody that only occasionally votes for them shouting the odds about what they should be doing, nothing wrong per se with that but a bit rich, me and johnlangy would have more moral authority to do so, you will rarely see me criticise them and I rarely see johnlangy criticise them on here, in my case its because of the big picture, I would do the cause of spreading wealth across the whole of Wales no good by attacking them for relatively small details like they need to be more forceful and shout louder when the other parties actually seem to oppose spreading wealth around Wales, so I think its madness and self defeating to be over critical over a party doing something you want but being unhappy about their forcefulness, the press, powers that be and other parties relentlessly disingenuously attack Plaid/SNP, trying to label them when the reality is they are the least bigoted/racist parties of the lot, I have a friend that talks politics to me and he tells me they [Plaid/SNP 'will let any bugger in'].

Plaid need to be tougher but in doing so they would run the risk of being disingenuously labelled all the more, a bit of a catch 22.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 11:14 - Jun 4 with 2347 viewsLohengrin

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 10:15 - Jun 4 by trampie

Ive been voting Plaid for 30 years, johnlangy been a member for 10 years, you seem to have been voting for Unionist parties until recently taking an interest in Plaid as they are saying what you want to hear, but its a bit rich somebody that only occasionally votes for them shouting the odds about what they should be doing, nothing wrong per se with that but a bit rich, me and johnlangy would have more moral authority to do so, you will rarely see me criticise them and I rarely see johnlangy criticise them on here, in my case its because of the big picture, I would do the cause of spreading wealth across the whole of Wales no good by attacking them for relatively small details like they need to be more forceful and shout louder when the other parties actually seem to oppose spreading wealth around Wales, so I think its madness and self defeating to be over critical over a party doing something you want but being unhappy about their forcefulness, the press, powers that be and other parties relentlessly disingenuously attack Plaid/SNP, trying to label them when the reality is they are the least bigoted/racist parties of the lot, I have a friend that talks politics to me and he tells me they [Plaid/SNP 'will let any bugger in'].

Plaid need to be tougher but in doing so they would run the risk of being disingenuously labelled all the more, a bit of a catch 22.

”I have a friend that talks politics to me and he tells me Plaid/SNP will let any bugger in.”

Oh! bless you, Tramp. We are pals, right enough.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 11:16 - Jun 4 with 2337 viewstrampie

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 11:14 - Jun 4 by Lohengrin

”I have a friend that talks politics to me and he tells me Plaid/SNP will let any bugger in.”

Oh! bless you, Tramp. We are pals, right enough.

I'm talking about somebody that knows a bit about politics.

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:27 - Jun 4 with 2281 viewsKilkennyjack

The only thing Wales lacks is confidence.

A modern bi-lingual Cymru, in the EU, is far more attractive than the post Brexidiot ‘Wales-shire’ alternative.

God bless johnlangy, and as somebody famous once said ‘wales needs to be a little less well behaved’.....

#welshnotbritish

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:47 - Jun 4 with 2284 viewsjohnlangy

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:27 - Jun 4 by Kilkennyjack

A modern bi-lingual Cymru, in the EU, is far more attractive than the post Brexidiot ‘Wales-shire’ alternative.

God bless johnlangy, and as somebody famous once said ‘wales needs to be a little less well behaved’.....

#welshnotbritish

Well thank you Kilkenny. A very nice thing to say.

Your Wales-shire comment is painfully close to reality. There was a holiday home programme on a few months ago in which the presenters were selling the Lleyn Peninsular to the prospective English property buyers as Cheshire-by-the -Sea.

The bastards have zero respect for Wales.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:54 - Jun 4 with 2278 viewspeenemunde

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:27 - Jun 4 by Kilkennyjack

#welshnotbritish

When are you going to start misbehaving ?
Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 voted for Brexit....glorious decision.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:57 - Jun 4 with 2277 viewsjohnlangy

I've mentioned the jacothenorth blog a number of times but do any of you know about the Bella Gwalia site ? Well worth a visit. A new article has just been published (there are many historical ones worth reading) talking about the pathetically limp wristed attitude of Carwyn and Welsh Labour to the dreadful treatment Wales gets at the hands of Westminster.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:24 - Jun 4 with 2251 viewscockneyswan

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:55 - Jun 4 by trampie

Ive been meaning to look up how GDP is worked out etc, I know South West Wales fairly well and im not talking about Swansea at all more like Carmarthenshire and some of the parts I know of are 'well off', nice detached properties with land, nice cars on the drive, nice rural villages etc, I look around and think where is the poverty ? - they tend to be older retired people, some retired there from England, the people that do work tend to be professionals commuting to Carmarthen or Swansea [teachers, solicitors, accountants etc].

Now then there is little work as such, younger people in lots of cases will move on, but poverty what poverty ?, I know im focusing on the nicer areas/villages and there are some more down market areas that are close to the edge of the old South Wales coalfield, but it amazes me how these things are worked out, lots of Londoners would give an arm and a leg to live in such places, Cotswold villages and the Surrey stockbroker belt would not be a lot better places to live for the 'good life', so im not sure how such things are measured.

As someone who lives in Pembrokeshire, I admit poverty might be a little strong , however due to the currrent ecconomic policies within the U.K. the able children of Pembrokeshire are forced to move east to find any kind of ecconomical security.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:25 - Jun 4 with 2246 viewstrampie

https://bellagwalia.org/2017/10/04/independent-wales-would-be-amongst-wealthiest

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 20:43 - Jun 4 with 2228 viewscockneyswan

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:25 - Jun 4 by trampie

https://bellagwalia.org/2017/10/04/independent-wales-would-be-amongst-wealthiest

Thanks trampie an interesting read, something I’ve suspected for a long time.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 21:51 - Jun 4 with 2192 viewsKilkennyjack

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:54 - Jun 4 by peenemunde

Its not going to happen.

People’s vote, nailed on.

Wales will change its mind.
Very very small margin in Wales anyway.

🇪🇺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇪🇺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 21:55 - Jun 4 with 2192 viewspeenemunde

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 21:51 - Jun 4 by Kilkennyjack

Its not going to happen.

People’s vote, nailed on.

Wales will change its mind.
Very very small margin in Wales anyway.

🇪🇺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇪🇺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

You keep telling yourself that......🤣
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 13:55 - Jun 5 with 2136 viewsmoonie

Clear hatred on here of English.
It's shameful and shaming.

It's why plaid is derided and despised by many in Wales,especially Swansea .

It's all very well spouting this ridiculous insular wallox on this site but dear God ,I don't hope it's not repeated away from this site as its excruciatingly narrow minded.

Cheshire by the sea ? Just fook off innit

Right now,these English Kunts will be preparing for their annual holibobs to Abersoch to sail,Anglesey to swim and Snowdonia to walk etc ,not to mention Llandudno delights, a glorious town fully catering for its customers ,who they know provide a living and a meaning to the town .

The English walk away and north Wales will close . It won't happen though
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 14:17 - Jun 5 with 2116 viewspikeypaul

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:54 - Jun 4 by peenemunde

You are wasting your time the terrorist loving piece of shite has still not worked out how democracy works and thinks bombing and murdering children is acceptable when you do not agree with democracy.

297 AFLI
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 14:33]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 16:54 - Jun 5 with 2074 viewsKilkennyjack

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 14:17 - Jun 5 by pikeypaul

You are wasting your time the terrorist loving piece of shite has still not worked out how democracy works and thinks bombing and murdering children is acceptable when you do not agree with democracy.

297 AFLI
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 14:33]

Warra fecking fanny ffs.

You need to see a shrink.
Your reaction is not normal, you may need medical help.

Meanwhile let the adults discuss the things that you clearly struggle to even understand.

Try bingo mate, much more up your street than the internet.

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:47 - Jun 5 with 2059 viewsHighjack

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 16:54 - Jun 5 by Kilkennyjack

Warra fecking fanny ffs.

You need to see a shrink.
Your reaction is not normal, you may need medical help.

Meanwhile let the adults discuss the things that you clearly struggle to even understand.

Try bingo mate, much more up your street than the internet.

Most bingo is on the internet these days

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:50 - Jun 5 with 2053 viewsKilkennyjack

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 13:55 - Jun 5 by moonie

Clear hatred on here of English.
It's shameful and shaming.

It's why plaid is derided and despised by many in Wales,especially Swansea .

It's all very well spouting this ridiculous insular wallox on this site but dear God ,I don't hope it's not repeated away from this site as its excruciatingly narrow minded.

Cheshire by the sea ? Just fook off innit

Right now,these English Kunts will be preparing for their annual holibobs to Abersoch to sail,Anglesey to swim and Snowdonia to walk etc ,not to mention Llandudno delights, a glorious town fully catering for its customers ,who they know provide a living and a meaning to the town .

The English walk away and north Wales will close . It won't happen though

Are you getting Cymru mixed up with EuroDisney ?

Its a nation, not a theme park.

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:45 - Jun 5 with 2025 viewsmoonie

In fairness,Killy has apologised for the bombings of British people although it was Britain s fault for invading and subjugating ireland.

Ireland should never have been partitioned and the IRA were freedom fighters .

British soldiers slaughtered innocent Catholics on Bloody Sunday.

Ireland is a great land and now free from British rule .

Think this just about covers it
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:10 - Jun 7 with 1948 viewstrampie

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:56 - Jun 3 by trampie

Human development index [last one I seen Ireland were 8th in the World and the UK was 16th] .
Quality of life index [they were above the UK in 2013]
The Legatum prosperity index 2015 [they were 10th in the World, we was 15th]

With the abortion vote I think in all these indices they will be leaving us behind in the league tables.

If Scotland became independent they would immediately become one of the richest countries in the World.
Wales would do just fine, London centric policies are holding us back.

PS I forgot the UK is leaving Europe as well, human rights, workers rights etc, in these type of indices I think Ireland is going to take us big time in the next few years, during the Celtic Tiger era they took us for the first time on some measures then after the banking crisis and recession some small countries not having the dynamics of scale were hit a bit harder and we were 3 or 4 places above them but now they are set to shoot clear of us.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2018 18:12]

Are those too 'vague' for you Highjack you don't seem to have responded when I took the time to reply to you ?

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:13 - Jun 7 with 1944 viewstrampie

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:17 - Jun 3 by trampie

Where are you registered ?

Not answering are you peenemunde?
[Post edited 7 Jun 2018 9:13]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024