Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joel Asoro 21:18 - Jul 9 with 21708 viewsEU5Makaveli

19 year old Sunderland striker- we are interested according to Alan Nixon
Joel Asoro on 20:07 - Jul 16 with 2265 viewsthornabyswan

Joel Asoro on 07:41 - Jul 11 by valleyboy

It’s not a case of supporting Cardiff, but just trying to show how dull you and many others are in putting money into the back pockets of hedge fund managers at the expense of Swansea City

It’s not a case of I will be supporting the Swans never mind what happens, as I have read in what you have said is the dullest thing that could happen to Swansea City, because unless you stand up to the people that are “rapeing the club, there might not be a Swansea City in existence in the
future

You can't be a Swans fan to even think of watching them up the road never mind go through with it.
But at least you can watch PL football.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Joel Asoro on 22:35 - Jul 16 with 2119 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Joel Asoro on 19:53 - Jul 16 by moonie

Nothing in any way amusing about Insanity or Demetia .

Very poor as plenty of other ways of insulting people

He's Chris's dad mun. The apple never falls far from the tree.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Joel Asoro on 19:40 - Aug 5 with 1897 viewsNirvana

Asoro first.

The positives are that he has immense pace (and hops) and a high workrate, is a good dribbler, seems to have a healthy ego, and he made 29 appearances for a storied Championship club at just 18 years old. He was being scouted by Bayern, PSG, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leipzig, Villarreal, Valencia, Milan, and Inter (to name a few) just two years ago. He supposedly also had a deal lined up with Spurs this summer but they backed out due to his wage demands (supposedly £25k a week). If true, I'm not sure how we managed to afford him if they couldn't but hopefully we got lucky. This is also quite offputting:

"Sunderland owner Stewart Donald has also confirmed on Twitter that the agent asked for a fee to facilitate the move that was larger than the actual transfer fee - thought to be around £4m - and that coupled with their wage demands puts Spurs off from pursuing their interest."

As for ability, though, the downsides are that Sunderland were god-awful and dealt with a lot of injuries on top of it, the Championship is god-awful, his end product is sorely lacking and he doesn't have the requisite skills to make an impact on the wing or up front at the moment (he disappears for long stretches of games and is a poor finisher/crosser). The former is not his fault, the latter can be mostly attributed to his youth and inexperience. Also, those top teams scout every reasonably good youth player across the world, and he somehow ended up at Sunderland of all places. He has an ocean of potential to develop into a good player for us, but he has to put in a lot of hard work to improve as a footballer. Right now he's all pace, and that's easily neutralized by experienced defending. But I like his attitude and typical Swedish demeanor, hopefully he'll buckle down and go to work.

All in all, for £2m I'd rather us take a chance on a young kid with potential like this (and that the manager knows and approves of) than the washed-up sshitt sandwich we've been served for so long. We shouldn't be expecting this kid to be in the XI every week or anything close to that, though. Well, if we have expectations higher than another relegation. He has ability but he's not ready, even at this level.
Joel Asoro on 19:49 - Aug 5 with 1818 viewsNirvana

For more detail, I went back and watched a few Sunderland games from the end of last season to see what we got with Asoro while he was in the midst of a relegation battle:

- he consistently shows way too much of the ball to his defender, often dribbling right to them and losing possession

- his touch and control let him down far too often and forces him to become reactive, which creates mistakes

- he doesn't shield the ball well, a skill he needs to refine to make up for his slight physique

- has absolutely no game with his back to goal and link-up play is rather nonexistent

- poor footwork in tight spaces, he is too energetic and anxious in those situations

- doesn't make incisive runs in behind the defence enough, would be a beast if he was coached the angled runs the top strikers make

- far more effective using his pace to drive into open space on the counter, so hopefully Potter will highlight that

- takes up good positions in the box, but doesn't end up doing too much (Sunderland really lack creativity, so most of the time he'd end up standing there waiting around while they lost possession)

- to be honest, he didn't really play an active role in any of the games I watched, mostly just stood around waiting for the ball. Sunderland are terrible though, so it'll be interesting to see what he can do in a better team
Joel Asoro on 20:11 - Aug 5 with 1668 viewsjasper_T

He's just Jordon Garrick with a better agent.
Joel Asoro on 20:13 - Aug 5 with 1658 viewsWAFU

Joel Asoro on 19:49 - Aug 5 by Nirvana

For more detail, I went back and watched a few Sunderland games from the end of last season to see what we got with Asoro while he was in the midst of a relegation battle:

- he consistently shows way too much of the ball to his defender, often dribbling right to them and losing possession

- his touch and control let him down far too often and forces him to become reactive, which creates mistakes

- he doesn't shield the ball well, a skill he needs to refine to make up for his slight physique

- has absolutely no game with his back to goal and link-up play is rather nonexistent

- poor footwork in tight spaces, he is too energetic and anxious in those situations

- doesn't make incisive runs in behind the defence enough, would be a beast if he was coached the angled runs the top strikers make

- far more effective using his pace to drive into open space on the counter, so hopefully Potter will highlight that

- takes up good positions in the box, but doesn't end up doing too much (Sunderland really lack creativity, so most of the time he'd end up standing there waiting around while they lost possession)

- to be honest, he didn't really play an active role in any of the games I watched, mostly just stood around waiting for the ball. Sunderland are terrible though, so it'll be interesting to see what he can do in a better team

What a roundabout way of saying he’s rubbish.
Joel Asoro on 20:30 - Aug 5 with 1582 viewsNirvana

Joel Asoro on 20:11 - Aug 5 by jasper_T

He's just Jordon Garrick with a better agent.

She sounds kind of hot, LOL.

In all seriousness, I hope you're wrong (I've never seen Garrick play) because it sounds like we spent a bit on this kid.

Any insider info on Garrick, Jasper?
Joel Asoro on 20:34 - Aug 5 with 1545 viewsNirvana

Joel Asoro on 20:13 - Aug 5 by WAFU

What a roundabout way of saying he’s rubbish.

Good eye, WAFU.

We were two of the most prominent critics of AAyew coming back, so I'm hoping this turns out differently.

The Championship is ffukkingg terrible, though, so I believe Asoro will actually be able to contribute something, unlike AAyew last season.

Time is on Asoro's side and Potter is an excellent man-manager so we'll see.
Login to get fewer ads

Joel Asoro on 20:44 - Aug 5 with 1505 viewsjasper_T

Joel Asoro on 20:30 - Aug 5 by Nirvana

She sounds kind of hot, LOL.

In all seriousness, I hope you're wrong (I've never seen Garrick play) because it sounds like we spent a bit on this kid.

Any insider info on Garrick, Jasper?

Jordon Garrick is your typical fast and strong English winger with a bit of skill but no genuine quality when it comes to end product or link up play. Started really bullying development fullbacks after he gained a bit of confidence at u23s level. Like Asoro likes to knock the ball past opponents and win a foot race rather than go at them with the ball at his feet (like McKay, Montero and James usually do).

Tore his hamstring back in March though, which is bad news for any young sprinter.

When we bought Asoro Potter's team would have been more familiar with him than the young players we already had here (since McCauley had been tracking him for years). Time will tell whether it was a sensible bit of spending.
Joel Asoro on 21:01 - Aug 5 with 1446 viewsNirvana

Joel Asoro on 20:44 - Aug 5 by jasper_T

Jordon Garrick is your typical fast and strong English winger with a bit of skill but no genuine quality when it comes to end product or link up play. Started really bullying development fullbacks after he gained a bit of confidence at u23s level. Like Asoro likes to knock the ball past opponents and win a foot race rather than go at them with the ball at his feet (like McKay, Montero and James usually do).

Tore his hamstring back in March though, which is bad news for any young sprinter.

When we bought Asoro Potter's team would have been more familiar with him than the young players we already had here (since McCauley had been tracking him for years). Time will tell whether it was a sensible bit of spending.

Thanks for that, Jasper.

You're definitely right about the Potter/Asoro link, I'm hoping GP can get this kid to vastly imorove his game.

Time will tell, but I'm in a good mood after yesterday so I will keep the faith.

Celina and McKay were both far better signings for the money imo, though, just to be honest.

Do you have any info on them from last season? I don't watch the Championship (until now), so am wondering what went wrong for the two of them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024