Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter 18:45 - Sep 21 with 4575 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Some positivity from a very rational source, and an interesting perspective on Ryan Woods.

http://www.maxwellhicks.com/2018/09/21/swans-grow-your-own-strategy-blossoming-u

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 20:06 - Sep 21 with 3479 viewsjacktar

I can't entirely agree but that article says a lot in my opinion.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 21:50 - Sep 21 with 3384 viewsItchySphincter

Thank you for posting this piece Tum.....

Just goes to show that I'm not alone. Let Drizzy, Risca and shandy pick the bones out of that.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 23:09 - Sep 21 with 3322 views_

Max is back!!!

Excellent article Mr Hicks. Top work.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 00:58 - Sep 22 with 3242 viewsLoyal

Decent but I'm still not convinced Potter signed up for this.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 08:40 - Sep 22 with 3102 viewsDr_Winston

"So what’s more important? Good players, or a good coach?"

A superb question and a point I've tried to hammer home many times on here.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 08:48 - Sep 22 with 3091 viewsItchySphincter

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 08:40 - Sep 22 by Dr_Winston

In one paragraph he makes a good point about Ryan Woods and Matt Grimes ....

It all opinion of course, but it’s very well presented opinion and it makes a lot of sense to me.

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 09:10 - Sep 22 with 3061 viewsJinxy

An excellent article, saying everything I've been thinking and also what I thought about Woods during/after the Stoke game. Neat and tidy player and maybe had the MOTM by default. Exciting times ahead for us and I'm loving it. Positivity everyone!
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 09:26 - Sep 22 with 3026 viewsChief

Byers and James doing triangles - how many times did that actually happen? The lack of goals isn't really addressed at all. Mcburnie isn't going to be able to do it all on his own. And the Jesus point is a complete red herring (excuse the pun), why cant the job potter has done so far be respected but caveated with if he was backed more, we'd be even better off?

Interesting article with some good points, but rather rose tinted for me.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Login to get fewer ads

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 09:33 - Sep 22 with 3017 views_

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 08:40 - Sep 22 by Dr_Winston

And you're perfectly correct.

This bit though...

""You can’t laud Potter for working magic with the squad he’s been given and then suggest all he needs are three or four big signings the board would never sanction anyway. That’s like thanking Jesus for the loaves and fishes and then complaining to everyone about how much better the miracle would have been if only he’d served it with some tomato and herb salsa or a squirt of lemon juice.""

I think it was directed at you 😉

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 09:38 - Sep 22 with 3011 views34dfgdf54

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 09:26 - Sep 22 by Chief

Byers and James doing triangles - how many times did that actually happen? The lack of goals isn't really addressed at all. Mcburnie isn't going to be able to do it all on his own. And the Jesus point is a complete red herring (excuse the pun), why cant the job potter has done so far be respected but caveated with if he was backed more, we'd be even better off?

Interesting article with some good points, but rather rose tinted for me.

Correct.
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 09:45 - Sep 22 with 2998 viewsdobjack2

The manager is doing a great job with the players he has but it is obvious that the current squad needs support. Not superstars, but players who will buy into what the manager, coaching staff and squad are doing.

I can only hope that when we ship out bony and others to get their wages off the books, even if we can’t sell them, that the team is strengthened. Our lack of goals, goal scorers and midfield balance may still bite us in the ass.

Some interesting points made in the article but seems to think that the glass is a lot fuller than it appears in reality.
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 10:36 - Sep 22 with 2937 viewsDr_Winston

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 09:33 - Sep 22 by _

And you're perfectly correct.

This bit though...

""You can’t laud Potter for working magic with the squad he’s been given and then suggest all he needs are three or four big signings the board would never sanction anyway. That’s like thanking Jesus for the loaves and fishes and then complaining to everyone about how much better the miracle would have been if only he’d served it with some tomato and herb salsa or a squirt of lemon juice.""

I think it was directed at you 😉

Might have been if I'd ever called for "big" signings.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 10:39 - Sep 22 with 2930 views_

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 09:38 - Sep 22 by 34dfgdf54

Correct.

Not correct, it's looking to stay negative among so many positives.

The fact Potter is giving youth a chance is creating a massive buzz around the place. Overloading with unknown quantities wouldn't guarantee anything, especially the encouraging start we've had.

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 11:42 - Sep 22 with 2838 viewsjack247

There’s a lot of sense in that, but there’s only so far you can push it. If he’s saying the team is more important than any individual or greater than the sum of its parts, I’m with him completely. That’s what got us to the PL in the first place.

It kind of drifts off into - don’t worry about backing Potter, he’ll work miracles with whatever he’s given. It’s almost complacent by the end.
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 12:01 - Sep 22 with 2806 viewsjasper_T

Comes off as a bit patronising tbh. "Look how good Joe Rodon / Oli McBurnie / Connor Roberts / etc actually are under Potter”. Oli was just as good in this division last season. Connor was just as good in the PL under Carvalhal. We have good players.

Short-sighted to give all the credit to Potter. The club has had a good foundation of talented young players developing together for a few years. "The chemistry this group is developing" began in Toshack and Richards' U23 sides where half the first team played regularly together. Players are fans think of as non-entities (like Rodon and James at the beginning of the season) have trained with the senior players here for a good while. They may not have appeared on matchdays, but they were established parts of the group on the training ground.

Potter has given players an opportunity, but his hand has been forced to as well due to the excessive amount of injuries. So he's doing well but only gets partial credit from me. Well done with Grimes, Asoro needs more work.
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 12:10 - Sep 22 with 2788 viewsItchySphincter

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 09:38 - Sep 22 by 34dfgdf54

Correct.

...a dogged determination to see the glass half empty.

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 12:13 - Sep 22 with 2777 viewsKilkennyjack

Grow your own = Rodon and Roberts. Fantastic to see.

Sign known young players produced by other clubs and other coaches hard work = Fulton, Grimes, McBurnie, James, and Byers.

Lets not kid ourselves, in our 7 seasons in the Premier league the Academy produced nobody after Ben.

Facts getting in the way of a good story....

Beware of the Risen People

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 12:19 - Sep 22 with 2766 viewsjasper_T

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 12:13 - Sep 22 by Kilkennyjack

Grow your own = Rodon and Roberts. Fantastic to see.

Sign known young players produced by other clubs and other coaches hard work = Fulton, Grimes, McBurnie, James, and Byers.

Lets not kid ourselves, in our 7 seasons in the Premier league the Academy produced nobody after Ben.

Facts getting in the way of a good story....

Brandon Cooper next season.
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 12:22 - Sep 22 with 2760 viewsLeonWasGod

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 00:58 - Sep 22 by Loyal

Decent but I'm still not convinced Potter signed up for this.

OF course he didn’t. It’s not a strategy, he hasn’t got a choice. And comparing one stat for a midfielder with CBs - clueless and pointless ‘analysis’.

It’s right that Woods isn’t the messiah - nobody ever claimed he was (or compared him to Ki, which seems a thinly veiled attack on a player the writer didn’t appreciate).

A thoroughly bizarre piece imo.
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 13:15 - Sep 22 with 2703 viewsjacksfullaces

sort of always hoped the academy was an insurance strategy to prevent a major plummet but perhaps a bit early to be sure about that yet, or if we will actually hold on to the players that show a glimmer of talent in January.

what is probably also clear is these players/the academy wasn't really creating much we could do with in the Premier League.
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 16:39 - Sep 23 with 2514 viewsnyc_swans

not sure why the article is all about ryan woods, it doesn't need to be all about him. many of us just wanted a defensive midfielder and didn't really care who it was. i agree that it doesn't need to be big name signings, but the failure did not come with not bringing in this player, but not bringing in ANY player in his position.
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 17:01 - Sep 23 with 2464 viewsjasper_T

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 16:39 - Sep 23 by nyc_swans

not sure why the article is all about ryan woods, it doesn't need to be all about him. many of us just wanted a defensive midfielder and didn't really care who it was. i agree that it doesn't need to be big name signings, but the failure did not come with not bringing in this player, but not bringing in ANY player in his position.

We had three lined up. One was too expensive, one turned us down, and the budget third choice supposedly failed a medical and probably wasn't worth the time to begin with (he's in Scotland now).

Our midfield is clearly strong enough that there was no point wasting money on a less-than-perfect addition. But for Fer's unfortunate second injury we'd be laughing (sure some would still complain, mind).
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 17:32 - Sep 23 with 2418 viewsmarchamjack

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 17:01 - Sep 23 by jasper_T

We had three lined up. One was too expensive, one turned us down, and the budget third choice supposedly failed a medical and probably wasn't worth the time to begin with (he's in Scotland now).

Our midfield is clearly strong enough that there was no point wasting money on a less-than-perfect addition. But for Fer's unfortunate second injury we'd be laughing (sure some would still complain, mind).

I’m enjoying watching the kids coming through much as anyone, but (sorry in advance) anyone who thinks we wouldn’t be better with Woods...

Our midfield has not dominated one game all season, Leeds aside for parts of that game. Just a realistic observation.

Grimes has stepped up beyond expectations. Byers very encouraging. Naughton an honourable mention too.

Potter though is clearly a very good coach and we are lucky to have him.

Max is usually spot on with his articles. This one, a bit less so for me.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 17:38 - Sep 23 with 2402 views34dfgdf54

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 17:01 - Sep 23 by jasper_T

Potter obviously disagrees, he desperately wanted another midfielder.

I’ll trust his judgement on this one.

Edit - disagree that our midfield is strong enough I meant. Also, MarchamJack post above, spot on as far as I’m concerned.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 17:47]
Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 17:48 - Sep 23 with 2376 viewsjasper_T

Maxwell Hicks blog: Swans “Grow Your Own” Strategy Blossoming Under Potter on 17:32 - Sep 23 by marchamjack

I’m enjoying watching the kids coming through much as anyone, but (sorry in advance) anyone who thinks we wouldn’t be better with Woods...

Our midfield has not dominated one game all season, Leeds aside for parts of that game. Just a realistic observation.

Grimes has stepped up beyond expectations. Byers very encouraging. Naughton an honourable mention too.

Potter though is clearly a very good coach and we are lucky to have him.

Max is usually spot on with his articles. This one, a bit less so for me.

I'd argue that the reason we haven't dominated midfield is as much structural and down to constant injuries as anything else. With Fer on the pitch, and playing with a system like that we used against Leeds, we'll control more games. Wingers can do more.

Would a £7m midfielder have made us better? You'd have hoped so. We forget because we've been in the PL a long time but that's a lot of money (the entire Championship TV income iirc).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024