Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stoke - £30m loss last year 12:27 - Nov 20 with 14276 viewsDr_Winston

And they're still spending in this one. Going to bump up against FFP if they don't go straight back up. Another indicator of the kind of financial craziness we're up against though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/46274218?__twitter_impression=true

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 12:45 - Nov 20 with 6199 viewsairedale

What amazes me though, is that the majority of the cash goes to players and their agents in the PL. I’m really enjoying this season so far so don’t see the value in the PL any more.
Stoke - £30m loss last year on 12:50 - Nov 20 with 6185 views_

£122m owed to Coates and everyone wanted us to compete with them in the Summer and show the same 'ambition'??!

Will fans now own up and say they were wrong?

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 12:56 - Nov 20 with 6161 viewsCooperman

This just goes to show how successful we were in achieving a seven year stint at the top table without the benefactor income. Makes our story all the more remarkable. Interesting times ahead for the other SCFC.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:08 - Nov 20 with 6120 viewsCooperman

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 12:45 - Nov 20 by airedale

What amazes me though, is that the majority of the cash goes to players and their agents in the PL. I’m really enjoying this season so far so don’t see the value in the PL any more.

Don’t be amazed. Player power took over years back.
The more a club earns via revenue stream then the more it can pay via player wages.
Quite how the correlation going forward between income and wages is broken is unclear to me. I can’t see the advent of salary caps.

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:34 - Nov 20 with 6042 viewsairedale

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:08 - Nov 20 by Cooperman

Don’t be amazed. Player power took over years back.
The more a club earns via revenue stream then the more it can pay via player wages.
Quite how the correlation going forward between income and wages is broken is unclear to me. I can’t see the advent of salary caps.

I suppose the magic bullet would be to have some genius on board to recruit the best team, where their performance exceeds the sum of its parts at a (relatively speaking) modest outlay.
Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:42 - Nov 20 with 6025 viewsBadlands

Anyone daring to suggest our management has handled relegation really well?

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:45 - Nov 20 with 6012 views34dfgdf54

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:42 - Nov 20 by Badlands

I've changed my opinion on it, I think the Yanks have dealt with it well on reflection.

Supporters still need to be realistic with ambitions though, especially this season.
Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:54 - Nov 20 with 5988 viewsCooperman

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:45 - Nov 20 by 34dfgdf54

I've changed my opinion on it, I think the Yanks have dealt with it well on reflection.

Supporters still need to be realistic with ambitions though, especially this season.

It’s very much work in progress as the job is far from complete. We will see another step down in income next season and further cuts will be necessary. Then after addressing the P&L there is the small matter of player recruitment to deal with. There will be immense pressure on the scouting network to unearth the hidden gem.

Upshot - it’s going the right way but there’s a long way to go.

Login to get fewer ads

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:55 - Nov 20 with 5984 viewsandypitt56

I'm still unsure, in the long run it was probably the right thing to do, however I keep thinking have we gone too far the other way? I mean one or two injuries and we could be in trouble we don't exactly have the biggest squad!
Stoke - £30m loss last year on 14:03 - Nov 20 with 5969 viewsjasper_T

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:55 - Nov 20 by andypitt56

I'm still unsure, in the long run it was probably the right thing to do, however I keep thinking have we gone too far the other way? I mean one or two injuries and we could be in trouble we don't exactly have the biggest squad!

Our squad is easily as big as those of most of our competition. Potter's used almost 30 players so far this season and no more than one or two have looked out of place at this level.

"One or two injuries and we could be in trouble" is the natural state of practically every football club.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 14:03]
Stoke - £30m loss last year on 14:29 - Nov 20 with 5915 views34dfgdf54

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:54 - Nov 20 by Cooperman

It’s very much work in progress as the job is far from complete. We will see another step down in income next season and further cuts will be necessary. Then after addressing the P&L there is the small matter of player recruitment to deal with. There will be immense pressure on the scouting network to unearth the hidden gem.

Upshot - it’s going the right way but there’s a long way to go.

I'm confident that the days of Huw Jenkins heading up recruitment are now gone. By all accounts the yanks were the ones that pulled the plug on Woods deal due to the financials, and despite still thinking he would have been a very astute signing, we probably wouldn't have seen the emergence of Grimes which cost us nothing. So on reflection it was a good decision.

Decisons will be made by Potter and his scouting team, and if the Woods deal is anything to go by, they will be rubber stamped by the owners if it makes financial sense. No need for Jenkins to be anywhere near it.
Stoke - £30m loss last year on 14:40 - Nov 20 with 5892 viewsbluey_the_blue

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:42 - Nov 20 by Badlands

Handled it well or had no choice due to not wanting to put money in?
Stoke - £30m loss last year on 14:55 - Nov 20 with 5854 viewsThrasher6

The loss is peanuts to the Coates family....Bet365 have just announced record profits...the Stoke bit is right at the end,,

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/boost-for-bet365-as-profits-soar-33-per-c

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 15:09 - Nov 20 with 5820 viewssP7qupUf

There are some very good points on this thread. My biggest issue is the money that we wasted on so many poor signings. We all know which they were but the Andre Ayew one was horrendous.

I don't agree with the idea that we should be thankful for the 7 PL years. If we had been more careful and professional with recruitment we would still be there.
Stoke - £30m loss last year on 15:20 - Nov 20 with 5796 viewsCooperman

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 15:09 - Nov 20 by sP7qupUf

There are some very good points on this thread. My biggest issue is the money that we wasted on so many poor signings. We all know which they were but the Andre Ayew one was horrendous.

I don't agree with the idea that we should be thankful for the 7 PL years. If we had been more careful and professional with recruitment we would still be there.

Your second paragraph is a slightly different point that I was hoping we could stay away from.

My point was more aimed at the fact that our owners are attempting to get us back on an even keel (in my opinion at least) as opposed to going balls deep into buying instant promotion back to the Premier League, which of course is not guaranteed.

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 15:20 - Nov 20 with 5793 viewsCatullus

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 13:55 - Nov 20 by andypitt56

This is where I'm at, the cuts needed making but maybe not quite so deep. I'm not sure there'll be more cuts next season though. If we can get Routledge, Dyer, Narsingh, maybe Naughton and of course Bony off the books, will we need more cuts?
What if they all leave and we get promoted ( a long shot but still a possibility, this division is tight so far ) we'll be in a very strong financial position then! Though having seen the way things are, I'd probably back the Cardiff approach and prefer to come straight back down than go spending more than we can handle.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 15:24 - Nov 20 with 5782 views_

Very honest Blaine. Top man 👍

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 15:26 - Nov 20 with 5778 viewsCooperman

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 15:20 - Nov 20 by Catullus

This is where I'm at, the cuts needed making but maybe not quite so deep. I'm not sure there'll be more cuts next season though. If we can get Routledge, Dyer, Narsingh, maybe Naughton and of course Bony off the books, will we need more cuts?
What if they all leave and we get promoted ( a long shot but still a possibility, this division is tight so far ) we'll be in a very strong financial position then! Though having seen the way things are, I'd probably back the Cardiff approach and prefer to come straight back down than go spending more than we can handle.

Routledge, Dyer, Narsingh, Bony etc are the further cuts that I am talking about.

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 15:30 - Nov 20 with 5769 viewsandypitt56

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 14:03 - Nov 20 by jasper_T

Our squad is easily as big as those of most of our competition. Potter's used almost 30 players so far this season and no more than one or two have looked out of place at this level.

"One or two injuries and we could be in trouble" is the natural state of practically every football club.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 14:03]

I agree with what you are saying but the players that we have used have been playing for the U23's as well this season. Byers, Harris, Dhanda just to name a couple. dont get me wrong its great we are using so many young players but it is a risk.
Stoke - £30m loss last year on 15:32 - Nov 20 with 5757 views34dfgdf54

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 15:30 - Nov 20 by andypitt56

I agree with what you are saying but the players that we have used have been playing for the U23's as well this season. Byers, Harris, Dhanda just to name a couple. dont get me wrong its great we are using so many young players but it is a risk.

It's always a risk, but Potter is playing it perfectly for me, you could argue that the Cian Harries experiment was dodgy, but he played relatively well and has now had a taste of it.
Stoke - £30m loss last year on 16:04 - Nov 20 with 5703 viewsjasper_T

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 15:30 - Nov 20 by andypitt56

Better they play with the u23s and keep up some match fitness than just hang around waiting. They're still first team players, many of them skipping away trips and just playing the games at Landore.

Most clubs in this division have "u23s" players propping up their squads. Even in the Premier League we were an odd duck in terms of how little faith we had in our development players, and how few chances they were given to contribute.
Stoke - £30m loss last year on 16:58 - Nov 20 with 5601 viewstaffpunk

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 12:45 - Nov 20 by airedale

I get what you're saying, but you have a half decent team who are definitely in with a shout of the play-offs at least. You don't want the team you support to lose games so you don't go back up to the PL, or do you?

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 17:16 - Nov 20 with 5565 viewsLoyal

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 12:50 - Nov 20 by _

£122m owed to Coates and everyone wanted us to compete with them in the Summer and show the same 'ambition'??!

Will fans now own up and say they were wrong?

May your road rise with you ...

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 17:23 - Nov 20 with 5542 views_

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 17:16 - Nov 20 by Loyal

May your road rise with you ...

Take your time mate.... It will come.

Stoke - £30m loss last year on 17:34 - Nov 20 with 5529 viewsraynor94

My feelings as well

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024