Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The world is a crap place 15:50 - Nov 20 with 5573 viewsCatullus

I heard on the radio today that the MacMillan cancer charity has had an increase in requests for help from cancer patients who are coming under pressure for taking time off work, seriously, wtf?

Then later I found out that my nieghbours son had lost his job after taking time off to go to hospital to see his mother. She was just about to have life saving heart surgery, she was in an induced coma for a week. He worked for an agency, it was only a temp job until Christmas anyway but still, where is the compassion?

What kind of heatless b'stards can treat people like this?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The world is a crap place on 17:48 - Nov 23 with 1204 viewsCatullus

The world is a crap place on 10:49 - Nov 22 by trampie

No Catullus, Labour and the Tories are both the same, for the last third of a century until Corbyn, you could not get a fag paper between Labour and Conservative policies on most issues, they have the same ideologies.

Forgetting Corbyn, up until early 80's it could have been said that Labour was left, Libs centre and Tories on the right, since Thatcher Labour, Libs and Tories have all been on the right, its Plaid in Wales that are the differential and without any agenda there are far more politicians that are conviction politicians in the likes of Plaid than the big 3 Westminster parties, look at Leanne Wood for genuine ?, done loads of ordinary jobs, lives in an ordinary house in the same street she was brought up, give up leaders money to employ an assistant, travels on buses and trains to work, a conviction politician.

Lots of them would not join Plaid/SNP/Greens etc if they were career politicians they would join Labour or the Conservatives, look at the passion with Caroline Lucas and Mhairi Black, there is a far greater percentage of conviction politicians in the smaller parties than in what used to be known as the Westminster big 3 [SNP although only in Scotland have more MP's these days than the Libs].

Corbyn....why leave him out of it? He's been a conviction politician all his career, until he became the leader when he started adjusting his convictions to try and keep people happy. He tries to be all things to all people, he tells lies like the seasoned politico he is and keeps some very dodgy friends.
He'd be as much of a problem as any Tory, just a different problem.

Mhairi Black, made me laugh that. It's not like the SNP has ever been caught telling lies eh?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The world is a crap place on 18:12 - Nov 23 with 1191 viewsGaryjack

The world is a crap place on 14:46 - Nov 23 by Catullus

Today saw a walk out by Amazon staff across Europe in protest at working conditions. If it's that great why would so many be protesting? I notice you said permanent staff, because I know that very many staff are from agencies and those staff rarely get to be permanent.

I'd say your position does matter, I'd guess you are management by your defence of the company that very many of it's own employees don't like.

Well i certainly didn't enter this thread to defend Amazon. I merely stated in my opening post that larger companies can and do care about their employess, and put in place benefits that smaller companies could never afford to do. I've only had to defend them to you!

Nevertheless, i can only speak for Amazon UK as that's who i work for. I have no idea what working conditions are like across Europe or anywhere else for that matter. There was no walkout or protests in the UK, just people doing a normal days work, some earning £20 an hour doing voluntary overtime in an unskilled job in South Wales. If you want to knock that then crack on.

As i stated previously though, i do feel for some of the temporary staff who come in, work hard and end up getting laid off. But isn't that the same with any company who employ seasonal staff? There are only a certain number of permanent staff you need.

You also guessed wrong. I work in the inbound dock, and another benefit Amazon offer to it's staff who are not happy there, is to pay 95% of tuition fees for them to qualify in a better career skill in order to better themselves. Once they've done that, they pay them £3500 when they leave. Yep, they've got their faults, but c'mon eh?

https://www.amazoncareerchoice.com/home
[Post edited 23 Nov 2018 18:31]
The world is a crap place on 18:58 - Nov 23 with 1160 viewsCatullus

The world is a crap place on 18:12 - Nov 23 by Garyjack

Well i certainly didn't enter this thread to defend Amazon. I merely stated in my opening post that larger companies can and do care about their employess, and put in place benefits that smaller companies could never afford to do. I've only had to defend them to you!

Nevertheless, i can only speak for Amazon UK as that's who i work for. I have no idea what working conditions are like across Europe or anywhere else for that matter. There was no walkout or protests in the UK, just people doing a normal days work, some earning £20 an hour doing voluntary overtime in an unskilled job in South Wales. If you want to knock that then crack on.

As i stated previously though, i do feel for some of the temporary staff who come in, work hard and end up getting laid off. But isn't that the same with any company who employ seasonal staff? There are only a certain number of permanent staff you need.

You also guessed wrong. I work in the inbound dock, and another benefit Amazon offer to it's staff who are not happy there, is to pay 95% of tuition fees for them to qualify in a better career skill in order to better themselves. Once they've done that, they pay them £3500 when they leave. Yep, they've got their faults, but c'mon eh?

https://www.amazoncareerchoice.com/home
[Post edited 23 Nov 2018 18:31]

Your first post was about bigging up Amazon, it's how we got onto talking about them.

No UK walk outs you say, well the media is reporting otherwise,

http://uk.businessinsider.com/black-friday-amazon-workers-protest-poor-working-c

The world is a crap place on 19:19 - Nov 23 with 1148 viewsGaryjack

The world is a crap place on 18:58 - Nov 23 by Catullus

Your first post was about bigging up Amazon, it's how we got onto talking about them.

No UK walk outs you say, well the media is reporting otherwise,

http://uk.businessinsider.com/black-friday-amazon-workers-protest-poor-working-c

Please state where it says in that article there were UK walkouts? There was this though:

"All of our sites are safe places to work and reports to the contrary are simply wrong. According to the UK Government's Health and Safety Executive, Amazon has over 40% fewer injuries on average than other transportation and warehousing companies in the UK.

"We encourage everyone to compare our pay, benefits, and working conditions to others and come see for yourself on one of the public tours we offer every day at our centers across the UK."

GMB were there today by the way. Looked as if they were on some sort of recruitment drive, but nevertheless were allowed to protest on Amazon property. Make of that what you will. Personally i ignored them, as i am already a member of UNITE.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2018 19:20]
The world is a crap place on 09:41 - Nov 24 with 1065 viewsCatullus

The world is a crap place on 19:19 - Nov 23 by Garyjack

Please state where it says in that article there were UK walkouts? There was this though:

"All of our sites are safe places to work and reports to the contrary are simply wrong. According to the UK Government's Health and Safety Executive, Amazon has over 40% fewer injuries on average than other transportation and warehousing companies in the UK.

"We encourage everyone to compare our pay, benefits, and working conditions to others and come see for yourself on one of the public tours we offer every day at our centers across the UK."

GMB were there today by the way. Looked as if they were on some sort of recruitment drive, but nevertheless were allowed to protest on Amazon property. Make of that what you will. Personally i ignored them, as i am already a member of UNITE.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2018 19:20]

Below the picture of the protestor in Madrid, it says,

In the UK, protesters including off-shift Amazon workers started demonstrating outside company warehouses in the early hours of the morning.

So technically maybe not a walk out but protests all the same.

Then at rhe bottom there's this,

In a press release sent to Business Insider, the GMB said it was protesting "inhuman conditions" at the warehouses. It cited figures from a Freedom of Information request showing a single Amazon warehouse in Britain had called ambulances to the site 115 times over a three-year period.

Read more: Amazon is paying people to tweet nice things about warehouse working conditions after horror stories of staff peeing in bottles

The protests garnered support from UK politicians. Tom Watson, the deputy leader of the Labour Party, tweeted a video calling for Amazon UK management to come to the table. The Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn also voiced his support for the protest.

"Your employees need better conditions and better recognition," Watson said.

So Amazon pays people to tweet nice things eh.

For somebody who said they weren't defending Amazon you aren't half trying to defend them!!
Edit, you're not one of those people being paid to say nice things on social media are you?
[Post edited 24 Nov 2018 9:44]

The world is a crap place on 15:44 - Nov 24 with 1032 viewsexiledclaseboy

The world is a crap place on 09:41 - Nov 24 by Catullus

In the UK, protesters including off-shift Amazon workers started demonstrating outside company warehouses in the early hours of the morning.

In a press release sent to Business Insider, the GMB said it was protesting "inhuman conditions" at the warehouses. It cited figures from a Freedom of Information request showing a single Amazon warehouse in Britain had called ambulances to the site 115 times over a three-year period.

Read more: Amazon is paying people to tweet nice things about warehouse working conditions after horror stories of staff peeing in bottles

The protests garnered support from UK politicians. Tom Watson, the deputy leader of the Labour Party, tweeted a video calling for Amazon UK management to come to the table. The Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn also voiced his support for the protest.

For somebody who said they weren't defending Amazon you aren't half trying to defend them!!
Edit, you're not one of those people being paid to say nice things on social media are you?

He could be just a bloke who knows more about it than you do who’s speaking as he finds.

Poll: Tory leader

The world is a crap place on 16:37 - Nov 24 with 1000 viewsjackportis

Can JP just say many employees also make up about family members being ill to get time off.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

The world is a crap place on 16:39 - Nov 24 with 1000 viewsGaryjack

The world is a crap place on 09:41 - Nov 24 by Catullus

I've got no choice but to defend them when you seem hell bent on attacking them. Do you believe everything you read in the papers? That aside, if it's being reported that Amazon staff are peeing in bottles, then if you just took a moment to think about that rationally, then you would quickly arrive at the conclusion that it says more about the person peeing in the bottle than it does about Amazon! It's no coincidence that these things surface every year at a time when people are forced to take seasonal work or face sanctions from the DWP. In a nutshell, there are people who don't want to be there, so they will cry and shout at how badly they are being treated. You really should see some of the things Amazon have to deal with at this time of year. People turning up drunk, security being threatened with violence and even spoons and foil in the toilets where people have been 'jacking up'. Is that Amazons fault?
At the moment, we are under a holiday embargo. A chap i work with wanted to finish early to have a dash cam fitted in his car. Instead of taking 2 hours paid emergency holiday which he is entitled to do, he said he had to leave as he was experiencing chest pains and would drive to the hospital to get checked out. Err "We don't think so! No way are we allowing you to drive down a motorway suffering from chest pains, we will call you an ambulance"! So i would suggest that an employer calling an ambulance 115 times in 3 years, shows that they are caring for their employees and taking no chance to risk, rather than one who is putting there workforce's safety in jeopardy.

Footnote: No off-duty Amazon employees were protesting at our site yesterday, and i don't do social media.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2018 16:43]
Login to get fewer ads

The world is a crap place on 12:08 - Nov 25 with 907 viewsEbo

The world is a crap place on 22:19 - Nov 20 by felixstowe_jack

Don't forget get the extra 3 million jobs created since labour lost the 2010 election after their crashed our economy.

Most of them low paid agency jobs you thick tvvat, and no Labour did not crash the economy, it was your friends the bankers.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 12:10]

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

The world is a crap place on 12:22 - Nov 25 with 899 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The world is a crap place on 12:08 - Nov 25 by Ebo

Most of them low paid agency jobs you thick tvvat, and no Labour did not crash the economy, it was your friends the bankers.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 12:10]

Brown mucked up when trying to improve the lot of low paid workers, his working benefits encouraged a low wage economy. Similarly he made pension schemes much less attractive to employers by taxing them heavily. He was not clever enough to understand the reaction of big business to legislative changes.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024