Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The world is a crap place 15:50 - Nov 20 with 5572 viewsCatullus

I heard on the radio today that the MacMillan cancer charity has had an increase in requests for help from cancer patients who are coming under pressure for taking time off work, seriously, wtf?

Then later I found out that my nieghbours son had lost his job after taking time off to go to hospital to see his mother. She was just about to have life saving heart surgery, she was in an induced coma for a week. He worked for an agency, it was only a temp job until Christmas anyway but still, where is the compassion?

What kind of heatless b'stards can treat people like this?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The world is a crap place on 08:58 - Nov 21 with 1353 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

My son has had great support from his private sector employer during the time his girlfriend had to attend hospital regularly.
Not all employers are short sighted.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2018 10:50]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The world is a crap place on 11:01 - Nov 21 with 1288 viewsProfessor

The world is a crap place on 20:25 - Nov 20 by Catullus

It's not just about voting Tory, it's about accepting crap politicians whichever party you vote in.
Until we change that, until we force our politicians to be better, to do better nothing will change.
I keep having to repeat myself on this but Labour have been as sh/t as anyone else. Are people bilnd or stupid, or both? Our two party system is knackered, past it's sell by date. Don't just vote Labour expecting they'll make it better. Show them both we've had enough and choose an independent candidate.

PS, Thanks Flashberry but in 7 years no, sadly my health hasn't improved. Every time they fix something, another thing goes wrong, I guess you can have too much fun because my body is paying the price for cheques I'd written 30 years ago
What worries me is, where is the job security and job protection that I'd enjoyed? What does the future hold for my son? I didn't want this to be about brexit but, if the EU is so good why aren't they putting protections in so people aren't suffering even more than needs be when they are ill?
The comment about agencies is spot on, agencies are milking workers, charging companies for a worker then paying the worker less than the agency claims. It costs the NHS billions for agency staff who then don't have to do certain jobs leaving the full time staff to pick up the slack.
I think throwing the cards up in the air is exactly what many people didand yes, out of desperation.

Some excellent points there. The Blair/Brown government did some positive things around primary education, childcare and improvements to the NHS which have largely been done over by Cameron/May. However, Labour failed to kickstart the economy of areas like Swansea, the Valleys, Sunderland, Cumbria, Lancashire and much of South/West Yorkshire. Although Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester have gained (and indeed Cardiff) smaller cities and towns have been increasing marginalised. We have had only 2 post war governments which led to real change-Atlee and Thatcher. Sadly one of the by-products of Thatcher was the driven consumerism, selfishness and free we see now. People believe they are entitled and this has killed social cohesion. I have had good opportunities in my life, largely through hard work. However I am not sure if my children will get the same chances. Luckily both are bright and work hard in school but would, as my daughter wants, being a midwife be a sustainable career. Will we go to the US model where two jobs are common-teacher by day, barman by night, going to be the norm?

I agree we have crap politicians.
The world is a crap place on 13:23 - Nov 21 with 1238 viewsDJack

The world is a crap place on 08:58 - Nov 21 by JACKMANANDBOY

My son has had great support from his private sector employer during the time his girlfriend had to attend hospital regularly.
Not all employers are short sighted.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2018 10:50]

I suspect that those employers that are tidy either have Trades Union representation or rely on (prefer) keeping their staff long term and motivated/engaged with the business. It's shocking that many firms prefer a race to the bottom.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

The world is a crap place on 13:33 - Nov 21 with 1231 viewsCatullus

The world is a crap place on 13:23 - Nov 21 by DJack

I suspect that those employers that are tidy either have Trades Union representation or rely on (prefer) keeping their staff long term and motivated/engaged with the business. It's shocking that many firms prefer a race to the bottom.

There are definitely decent employers around, it tends to be the bigger businesses that are less caring. The bigger the business the bigger the b'stards running it.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The world is a crap place on 13:34 - Nov 21 with 1231 viewsDyfnant

A mates private sector employer contract said 6 months full and 6 months half sick pay.
Even with a sick paper they laid him off just into his half pay even though he’s now regarded as disabled under the Equality Act.
27 years service written off under ‘ill health capability’. Modern management are sh1thouses, too busy keeping their own nests warm

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

The world is a crap place on 13:46 - Nov 21 with 1227 viewsCatullus

The world is a crap place on 13:34 - Nov 21 by Dyfnant

A mates private sector employer contract said 6 months full and 6 months half sick pay.
Even with a sick paper they laid him off just into his half pay even though he’s now regarded as disabled under the Equality Act.
27 years service written off under ‘ill health capability’. Modern management are sh1thouses, too busy keeping their own nests warm

Did he get legal advice? I was in his position except it was public sector. I'd been on sick leave for 9 months, I'd tried going back to work but lasted less than one day, that was just before the first 6 months ran out. £ months later they retired me. It depends on his contract obviously but he should have gotten advice.

The world is a crap place on 15:59 - Nov 21 with 1196 viewsFireboy2

The world is a crap place on 13:34 - Nov 21 by Dyfnant

I thought you couldnt be laid off if you are on the sick
The world is a crap place on 18:47 - Nov 21 with 1168 viewsCatullus

The world is a crap place on 15:59 - Nov 21 by Fireboy2

You can be made medically redundant on capability grounds but if you are facing a serious, lifelong condition it might not be fair, retirement might be the bettr choice but it's more expensive so....

Login to get fewer ads

The world is a crap place on 19:21 - Nov 21 with 1158 viewsexiledclaseboy

The world is a crap place on 08:11 - Nov 21 by ItchySphincter

I’m pleased to hear that, few and far between though I suspect.

I don’t doubt it. We were lucky and we know it.

Poll: Tory leader

The world is a crap place on 19:23 - Nov 21 with 1156 viewsGaryjack

The world is a crap place on 13:33 - Nov 21 by Catullus

There are definitely decent employers around, it tends to be the bigger businesses that are less caring. The bigger the business the bigger the b'stards running it.

Rubbish! Two years ago, i had to have a full knee replacement. I spent 5 nights in Sancta Maria and had the op under the medical insurance that my employer pays for. Once my 6 weeks company sick pay ended, my wages were paid by the insurance company which my employer pays for. My wife has MS and COPD, if i ever need time off to look after her if she's having a bad time, then i can, no questions asked, to the point i was off for six weeks back this time last year. All i had upon my return was "How is your wife, and "you can reduce your hours of work for as long as you want". Who do i work for? Amazon! Don't believe the horror stories.
The world is a crap place on 21:17 - Nov 21 with 1114 viewsCatullus

The world is a crap place on 19:23 - Nov 21 by Garyjack

Rubbish! Two years ago, i had to have a full knee replacement. I spent 5 nights in Sancta Maria and had the op under the medical insurance that my employer pays for. Once my 6 weeks company sick pay ended, my wages were paid by the insurance company which my employer pays for. My wife has MS and COPD, if i ever need time off to look after her if she's having a bad time, then i can, no questions asked, to the point i was off for six weeks back this time last year. All i had upon my return was "How is your wife, and "you can reduce your hours of work for as long as you want". Who do i work for? Amazon! Don't believe the horror stories.

I worked for a very large public company for a long while and I witnessed some real horror stories when I was a union rep. Then my own situation went bad and they tried to shaft me, but still I said 'tended' because I know not all big companies treat employees badly.
Amazon though, I know a few people who have suffered bad treatment from them....then there was that Panorama program.

What is your role at Amazon?

The world is a crap place on 22:26 - Nov 21 with 1085 viewsSgtbilko

The world is a crap place on 20:30 - Nov 20 by Jackfath

People are losing sight of what is important in their lives. No thought or care for anyone but themselves. It's all very sad.

It is a sad indication that we have moved from a "WE" society to a "I" society!
People just don't care about anybody but themselves these days.
The world is a crap place on 22:28 - Nov 21 with 1082 viewsDyfnant

The world is a crap place on 15:59 - Nov 21 by Fireboy2

Deffo can unfortunately. He’ll be receiving 12 weeks notice pay and his holidays paid out as per contract but doesn’t stop dismaissal

The world is a crap place on 22:30 - Nov 21 with 1074 viewsDyfnant

The world is a crap place on 13:46 - Nov 21 by Catullus

Did he get legal advice? I was in his position except it was public sector. I'd been on sick leave for 9 months, I'd tried going back to work but lasted less than one day, that was just before the first 6 months ran out. £ months later they retired me. It depends on his contract obviously but he should have gotten advice.

He’s had legal advice but needs to appeal first

The world is a crap place on 22:32 - Nov 21 with 1073 viewsbonymine

The world is a crap place on 22:28 - Nov 21 by Dyfnant

Deffo can unfortunately. He’ll be receiving 12 weeks notice pay and his holidays paid out as per contract but doesn’t stop dismaissal

Dyfnant where to by are you from butt ? ......

I was in Dunvant Infants & Junior School just wondering whether I know you or not ?

Stay lucky.

Nos Da Pawb 👍👍👍

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

The world is a crap place on 22:45 - Nov 21 with 1061 viewsbonymine

The world is a crap place on 19:21 - Nov 21 by exiledclaseboy

I don’t doubt it. We were lucky and we know it.

You have to speak as you find on this subject as my Employer paid me 12 months full pay and 4.5 years half years sick pay under my sickness scheme before I was retired on ill health grounds .....each to their own I guess but I did have a legitimate case for ‘Constructive Dismissal’ against my former Line Manager who I could have ‘nailed’ but I’d been through too much to revisit those dark days of the past ......hence the IHR offer 👍

Onwards & uowards ...,,

STID......You Greedy B@stards Get Out Of Our Club 💪💪💪

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

The world is a crap place on 22:54 - Nov 21 with 1057 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The world is a crap place on 11:01 - Nov 21 by Professor

Some excellent points there. The Blair/Brown government did some positive things around primary education, childcare and improvements to the NHS which have largely been done over by Cameron/May. However, Labour failed to kickstart the economy of areas like Swansea, the Valleys, Sunderland, Cumbria, Lancashire and much of South/West Yorkshire. Although Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester have gained (and indeed Cardiff) smaller cities and towns have been increasing marginalised. We have had only 2 post war governments which led to real change-Atlee and Thatcher. Sadly one of the by-products of Thatcher was the driven consumerism, selfishness and free we see now. People believe they are entitled and this has killed social cohesion. I have had good opportunities in my life, largely through hard work. However I am not sure if my children will get the same chances. Luckily both are bright and work hard in school but would, as my daughter wants, being a midwife be a sustainable career. Will we go to the US model where two jobs are common-teacher by day, barman by night, going to be the norm?

I agree we have crap politicians.

A few other Blair issues, the poorly thought through development of in work benefits which have laid the predictable path for low pay and part time work, the rapid expansion of PFI introduced by John Major, the undermining if pension funds which is only now being addressed to a degree by the introduction of compulsory pension schemes and the reduced regulations in the City that created some of the conditions for the 2008 crash (regulations in Australia were tightened and they were not so effected). Some big mistakes here.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The world is a crap place on 23:32 - Nov 21 with 1048 viewsmajorraglan

The world is a crap place on 22:54 - Nov 21 by JACKMANANDBOY

A few other Blair issues, the poorly thought through development of in work benefits which have laid the predictable path for low pay and part time work, the rapid expansion of PFI introduced by John Major, the undermining if pension funds which is only now being addressed to a degree by the introduction of compulsory pension schemes and the reduced regulations in the City that created some of the conditions for the 2008 crash (regulations in Australia were tightened and they were not so effected). Some big mistakes here.

Gordon Brown made changes to Pension Regs and these have had a huge impact on pensions. I read in The Telegraph it had brought the Treasury £118bn in revenue. I know The Telegraph is a conservative paper so there may be point scoring going on, but the impact of the changes has been significant. This recent Conservative governments have cut the amount people can save in their pensions and there of course other factors impacting on pensions including increased life expectancy. The future is looking far from rosy - lots of company pension schemes are closing/closed and while the government has brought in a new pension scheme the country is just kicking the can down the road and creating problems for the future. Older people will have less income and will be reliant on social security and state top ups to make ends meet.
The world is a crap place on 10:00 - Nov 22 with 982 viewsCatullus

The world is a crap place on 23:32 - Nov 21 by majorraglan

Gordon Brown made changes to Pension Regs and these have had a huge impact on pensions. I read in The Telegraph it had brought the Treasury £118bn in revenue. I know The Telegraph is a conservative paper so there may be point scoring going on, but the impact of the changes has been significant. This recent Conservative governments have cut the amount people can save in their pensions and there of course other factors impacting on pensions including increased life expectancy. The future is looking far from rosy - lots of company pension schemes are closing/closed and while the government has brought in a new pension scheme the country is just kicking the can down the road and creating problems for the future. Older people will have less income and will be reliant on social security and state top ups to make ends meet.

It was the changes Blair and Brown made that bankrupted the Royal Mail pension scheme and ended with the next government having to take it over.
Blair and Brown took that money and spent it leaving the historical debt problem to the Tory government that took over.
People are blaming the tories for things they inherited as well as for the things they have actually done. Then, isn't that true of every government, they all have inherited problems.

The world is a crap place on 10:11 - Nov 22 with 975 viewstrampie

The world is a crap place on 10:00 - Nov 22 by Catullus

It was the changes Blair and Brown made that bankrupted the Royal Mail pension scheme and ended with the next government having to take it over.
Blair and Brown took that money and spent it leaving the historical debt problem to the Tory government that took over.
People are blaming the tories for things they inherited as well as for the things they have actually done. Then, isn't that true of every government, they all have inherited problems.

Let me explain, Labour and Tories are the same, they have been for 30 odd years, whether Labour have/will change is to be seen.

The differential is Plaid, Greens, SNP.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The world is a crap place on 10:28 - Nov 22 with 972 viewsCatullus

The world is a crap place on 10:11 - Nov 22 by trampie

Let me explain, Labour and Tories are the same, they have been for 30 odd years, whether Labour have/will change is to be seen.

The differential is Plaid, Greens, SNP.

Why are you explaining this to me, I know that both parties are rubbish, they are not the same in ideology but equally crap.

However, I don't see Plaid, Greens or SNP as any kind of answer. More specifically, Plaid and SNP are chock full of career politicians too who spout lopsided truths and tell lies to further their agendas. The greens are too small to make a difference and they back extreme answers that the majority would never go for, not even if those extremes are actually what we need. Plaid and SNP are interested only in what is best for them and their ideas. Price and Sturgeon would stop brexit right now, if they could. They'd over turn the democratic mandate for it without s a second thought.
Until politicians are actually in it for the majority, for what is right and best for everybody, nothing will improve. We're more likely to end up with anarchy, the streets are getting rougher every day. The police struggle to keep a lid on things, specially in the big city's.

I wish I had an answer but every time I think there might be one it just leads to more questions and more problems. We could give the police a huge funding boost but so many people distrust the police these days even that would be seen as suspicious by many.

The world is a crap place on 10:49 - Nov 22 with 963 viewstrampie

The world is a crap place on 10:28 - Nov 22 by Catullus

Why are you explaining this to me, I know that both parties are rubbish, they are not the same in ideology but equally crap.

However, I don't see Plaid, Greens or SNP as any kind of answer. More specifically, Plaid and SNP are chock full of career politicians too who spout lopsided truths and tell lies to further their agendas. The greens are too small to make a difference and they back extreme answers that the majority would never go for, not even if those extremes are actually what we need. Plaid and SNP are interested only in what is best for them and their ideas. Price and Sturgeon would stop brexit right now, if they could. They'd over turn the democratic mandate for it without s a second thought.
Until politicians are actually in it for the majority, for what is right and best for everybody, nothing will improve. We're more likely to end up with anarchy, the streets are getting rougher every day. The police struggle to keep a lid on things, specially in the big city's.

I wish I had an answer but every time I think there might be one it just leads to more questions and more problems. We could give the police a huge funding boost but so many people distrust the police these days even that would be seen as suspicious by many.

No Catullus, Labour and the Tories are both the same, for the last third of a century until Corbyn, you could not get a fag paper between Labour and Conservative policies on most issues, they have the same ideologies.

Forgetting Corbyn, up until early 80's it could have been said that Labour was left, Libs centre and Tories on the right, since Thatcher Labour, Libs and Tories have all been on the right, its Plaid in Wales that are the differential and without any agenda there are far more politicians that are conviction politicians in the likes of Plaid than the big 3 Westminster parties, look at Leanne Wood for genuine ?, done loads of ordinary jobs, lives in an ordinary house in the same street she was brought up, give up leaders money to employ an assistant, travels on buses and trains to work, a conviction politician.

Lots of them would not join Plaid/SNP/Greens etc if they were career politicians they would join Labour or the Conservatives, look at the passion with Caroline Lucas and Mhairi Black, there is a far greater percentage of conviction politicians in the smaller parties than in what used to be known as the Westminster big 3 [SNP although only in Scotland have more MP's these days than the Libs].

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The world is a crap place on 10:57 - Nov 22 with 965 viewspikeypaul

We are indeed heading for rough times on the streets of the inner cities.

The divide is becoming huge between the haves and have nots and NO party is interested in narrowing it since they are all career politicians who have never done a days real work in their lives.

The value of domestic private security companies will rocket in the next 20 years.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 11:03]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

The world is a crap place on 19:46 - Nov 22 with 913 viewsGaryjack

The world is a crap place on 21:17 - Nov 21 by Catullus

I worked for a very large public company for a long while and I witnessed some real horror stories when I was a union rep. Then my own situation went bad and they tried to shaft me, but still I said 'tended' because I know not all big companies treat employees badly.
Amazon though, I know a few people who have suffered bad treatment from them....then there was that Panorama program.

What is your role at Amazon?

Agh! The Panorama programme eh! That's the mountain runner who was gasping for breath in the toilets at Amazon because he was being forced to work so fast. The same guy who got laid off from his temp position as he went sick seven times in six weeks! Made a few bucks off the beeb though, so fair play to the guy. Saw an opportunity and went for it.

Look, the benefits i described, and there are more, including free life insurance, are available to all Amazon permanent employees so it doesn't matter what my position is there. Though i do feel for those in temporary positions, some are forced to go there by the DWP when they'd much rather stay at home doing fugg all, and there are those that genuinely come and do their best only to get laid off at the end of their stint. Sad, but at at the end of the day that's the way it goes. I'd love to know the stories of 'bad treatment' you've heard though?
The world is a crap place on 14:46 - Nov 23 with 836 viewsCatullus

The world is a crap place on 19:46 - Nov 22 by Garyjack

Agh! The Panorama programme eh! That's the mountain runner who was gasping for breath in the toilets at Amazon because he was being forced to work so fast. The same guy who got laid off from his temp position as he went sick seven times in six weeks! Made a few bucks off the beeb though, so fair play to the guy. Saw an opportunity and went for it.

Look, the benefits i described, and there are more, including free life insurance, are available to all Amazon permanent employees so it doesn't matter what my position is there. Though i do feel for those in temporary positions, some are forced to go there by the DWP when they'd much rather stay at home doing fugg all, and there are those that genuinely come and do their best only to get laid off at the end of their stint. Sad, but at at the end of the day that's the way it goes. I'd love to know the stories of 'bad treatment' you've heard though?

Today saw a walk out by Amazon staff across Europe in protest at working conditions. If it's that great why would so many be protesting? I notice you said permanent staff, because I know that very many staff are from agencies and those staff rarely get to be permanent.

I'd say your position does matter, I'd guess you are management by your defence of the company that very many of it's own employees don't like.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024