Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who speaks Welsh? 07:52 - Dec 11 with 13843 viewsSgorioFruit

Thought I’d ask to find out how many planet swans chaps speak Welsh. Or are learning/have learned the language?

Pwy siarad Cymraeg?

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:59 - Dec 14 with 2299 viewsTNT

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:45 - Dec 14 by longlostjack

Fair enough that's your opinion. You sound like one of those who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing though.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Who speaks Welsh? on 09:45 - Dec 15 with 2245 viewsScotia

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:45 - Dec 14 by longlostjack

Fair enough that's your opinion. You sound like one of those who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing though.

Not at all, I just think Welsh has novelty value within Wales and no value whatsoever elsewhere.
Who speaks Welsh? on 11:55 - Dec 15 with 2222 viewsJack_Meoff

Who speaks Welsh? on 14:36 - Dec 14 by Josey_Wales37

Learning at my own pace through Duolingo at moment. Its free and over a million have signed up to that site alone to learn Welsh. Growing numbers of my friends are learning, with some already speaking fluently who would like to use as first language.

Was working down Pembrokeshire a while back where I was asked regularly by other learners if I could speak Welsh and witnessed quite a few using as first language.

I see it as a sellable commodity for our country in the future, people from other countries find it very interesting that countries have their own language, culture and ID. Was speaking to some one the other day who learned in 6months through Say something in Welsh, and now runs his own business through it.

Nice one for the recommend of Duolingo, very nice little app. Took GCSE Welsh a few moons ago and just spent a few hours this morning going through the early exercises, surprised at what I remembered, even though it's pretty basic. Recommend for anyone, and free too. I can now definitely say with certainty 'Dw I ddim yn eisiau smwddio...'

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Who speaks Welsh? on 22:32 - Dec 15 with 2156 viewsTNT

Who speaks Welsh? on 09:45 - Dec 15 by Scotia

Not at all, I just think Welsh has novelty value within Wales and no value whatsoever elsewhere.

You don't live in Wales.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:12 - Dec 15 with 2136 viewslonglostjack

“Novelty value” - Twaaaat.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Who speaks Welsh? on 18:13 - Dec 19 with 2025 viewsJosey_Wales37

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:55 - Dec 15 by Jack_Meoff

Nice one for the recommend of Duolingo, very nice little app. Took GCSE Welsh a few moons ago and just spent a few hours this morning going through the early exercises, surprised at what I remembered, even though it's pretty basic. Recommend for anyone, and free too. I can now definitely say with certainty 'Dw I ddim yn eisiau smwddio...'

Dim problemo :)
Who speaks Welsh? on 06:00 - Dec 20 with 1961 viewsphact0rri

I think language is not just a bunch of words thrown together to create sentences to communicate thoughts. Language is a tapestry of culture and identity.

There are ideas and concepts that exist in a language, that would be outside of the mental space of someone from a different language. There's huge swaths of popular thought that came from greece and rome, that eastern languages have no concept of.

Take Hiraeth as the obvious example. There is no word in english for this. Just approximations, and attempts at descriptions. And yeah maybe this isn't as ideal or concidered as much if you live in the country you were born in. Or if your surrounded by one language and you never learn any others. But being poly-lingual you can learn so much about other people and how other people think.

You can also feel like your home talking in the language of your people, even if you are far away... *shrugs*

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:38 - Dec 20 with 1922 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Dw in dysgu cymreag a fy ferch siarad cymreag
Login to get fewer ads

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:55 - Dec 20 with 1916 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:18 - Dec 14 by Highjack

Yes and it was an utter disaster and filled with oddballs.

Nothing like here then?
Who speaks Welsh? on 12:25 - Dec 20 with 1903 viewsScotia

Who speaks Welsh? on 22:32 - Dec 15 by TNT

You don't live in Wales.

Yes I do. With the exception of a year in uni in Brum have done my entire life.
I also work for the Welsh government, so see how little it's used, how much money is wasted on it and the incompetence of Welsh speaking colleagues every day.
Who speaks Welsh? on 12:40 - Dec 20 with 1891 viewsAguycalledJack

Who speaks Welsh? on 12:25 - Dec 20 by Scotia

Yes I do. With the exception of a year in uni in Brum have done my entire life.
I also work for the Welsh government, so see how little it's used, how much money is wasted on it and the incompetence of Welsh speaking colleagues every day.

How does speaking welsh make your colleagues incompetent?
[Post edited 20 Dec 2018 12:42]
Who speaks Welsh? on 13:31 - Dec 20 with 1865 viewsScotia

Who speaks Welsh? on 12:40 - Dec 20 by AguycalledJack

How does speaking welsh make your colleagues incompetent?
[Post edited 20 Dec 2018 12:42]

Because WG require a certain number of people to be able tp speak, read and write Welsh fluently, there is a strictly enforced policy. This applies to all levels of the business, especially to those who may come in to contact with the public.

So we have people in roles they aren't capable of doing. They can speak Welsh though, and that is the only reason they are in that post.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2018 18:43]
Who speaks Welsh? on 22:42 - Apr 22 with 1535 viewsSgorioFruit

Bump

can we bring back the welsh section to the forum please

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Who speaks Welsh? on 22:46 - Apr 22 with 1528 viewsBanosswan

Who speaks Welsh? on 22:42 - Apr 22 by SgorioFruit

Bump

can we bring back the welsh section to the forum please

No, Scotia has deemed it as irrelevant much as he/she did the tidal lagoon.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2019 22:50]

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Who speaks Welsh? on 22:59 - Apr 22 with 1509 viewsScotia

Who speaks Welsh? on 22:46 - Apr 22 by Banosswan

No, Scotia has deemed it as irrelevant much as he/she did the tidal lagoon.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2019 22:50]

Well the lagoon has been as successful as I always said it would be.
Who speaks Welsh? on 00:24 - Apr 23 with 1483 viewsInsolent_Minx

I can converse in French (and obviously English) but the Welsh language was just too tough. On vacation there last summer there was a few programs in your language at the motel and try as you might, just couldn't hang with it. Strange thing I found over there, were very few people not only with Welsh accents, but actually speaking Welsh at all. I don't know, maybe things have changed from once before, you know, different generations.
Who speaks Welsh? on 09:02 - Apr 23 with 1424 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Who speaks Welsh? on 09:48 - Dec 11 by lifelong

It is not an easy language to learn, I have learned from an online course ‘Say something Welsh’ although not fluent I can get by in most situations.
The problem is, with a minority speaking the language you do not get enough opportunity to speak the language when out and about.
I believe it’s important that people, especially young people, learn the language, it would be a sad day for Wales if it was allowed to die out.

Say something Welsh?

Sheep?

I’ll get me coat (and hat)

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Who speaks Welsh? on 09:40 - Apr 23 with 1413 viewsjohnlangy

Who speaks Welsh? on 10:04 - Dec 11 by GreatBritton

My definition of a true gentleman is someone who can speak Welsh but doesn't

What a strange comment to make.
Who speaks Welsh? on 09:41 - Apr 23 with 1412 viewsjohnlangy

Who speaks Welsh? on 13:04 - Dec 11 by AguycalledJack

Non Welsh Speaker.

Married a Welsh Speaker and I'm now living in Carmarthen.

When you live within a community that speaks welsh you realise how important the language is to people. Mrs Jack uses it everyday in work.

We have just had a baby who will be brought up as first language welsh.

Well said.
Who speaks Welsh? on 09:43 - Apr 23 with 1411 viewsjohnlangy

Dw'in gallu siarad cymraeg y typin bach. Spelling .

Learnt for a few years at Christwell Church in Manselton. One of those adult learners classes. I can speak a bit, as I say above.
Who speaks Welsh? on 10:48 - Apr 23 with 1396 viewshammy

Rwy'n siarad yr iaeth ac rwy'n byw yn Lloegr !!

Quite an apt topic for St George's day, given the history of Wales and the Welsh language and the various attempts by the Anglo-Saxon ruling classes to terminate the language (Welsh Not anyone - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Not ).

I was brought up as a Welsh speaker and attended a Welsh speaking school in my early years in the upper Swansea Valley; this early learning certainly assisted with picking up the unique grammatical rules of the Welsh language (various mutations) that tends to scupper English speaking peoples.

I understand the argument that having bilingual literature for services being provided in Wales seems an overkill, but firmly believe that this is outweighed by the cultural benefit of maintaining a strong Welsh language and is critical to Cymru and its people.

I maintain my Welsh speaking capability by speaking to my mother and other family members in West Wales in Cymraeg. Great to see that learning Welsh is being strongly encouraged in Welsh schools.

Although I now live in north Oxfordshire, I come across a number of non-Welsh speaking second generation Welsh people looking to pick up the language (and especially learn Hen Wlad fy Nhadau) :)

Cymru am Byth !!

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Who speaks Welsh? on 09:14 - Apr 24 with 1290 viewscostalotta

Who speaks Welsh? on 10:48 - Apr 23 by hammy

Rwy'n siarad yr iaeth ac rwy'n byw yn Lloegr !!

Quite an apt topic for St George's day, given the history of Wales and the Welsh language and the various attempts by the Anglo-Saxon ruling classes to terminate the language (Welsh Not anyone - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Not ).

I was brought up as a Welsh speaker and attended a Welsh speaking school in my early years in the upper Swansea Valley; this early learning certainly assisted with picking up the unique grammatical rules of the Welsh language (various mutations) that tends to scupper English speaking peoples.

I understand the argument that having bilingual literature for services being provided in Wales seems an overkill, but firmly believe that this is outweighed by the cultural benefit of maintaining a strong Welsh language and is critical to Cymru and its people.

I maintain my Welsh speaking capability by speaking to my mother and other family members in West Wales in Cymraeg. Great to see that learning Welsh is being strongly encouraged in Welsh schools.

Although I now live in north Oxfordshire, I come across a number of non-Welsh speaking second generation Welsh people looking to pick up the language (and especially learn Hen Wlad fy Nhadau) :)

Cymru am Byth !!

Most languages have "Unique grammatical rules (various mutations)" but i'd love to know how that tens to scupper english speaking people? Do you mean like the way..say for example, that German or French use words in the masculine and feminine. That also scuppers a lot of English speakers. Usually those learning the language.

I think painting the language should be organic and i can see the cultural connection you mention and its great you do your bit to keep it alive.

Someone in a previous post mentioned about incompetent workers using Welsh in the WAG. I kind of know what he means and have seen first hand what he refers to.

I encouraged my kids to learn a language at school. They hated Welsh but all had to do it at school where they wanted to do another language at an earlier age. They dropped it as soon as they could in favour of a langage that would be useful to them and their future plans career or otherwise.
Who speaks Welsh? on 09:29 - Apr 24 with 1285 viewsJack_y_Jwc

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:18 - Dec 14 by Highjack

Yes and it was an utter disaster and filled with oddballs.

Cheeky tw*t - I used to contribute on that forum!

Who speaks Welsh? on 09:42 - Apr 24 with 1278 viewsLeonWasGod

Welsh people who are against the Welsh language are a bit odd in my opinion. It's your national language ffs. A rare and precious gift in this ever-shrinking and homogenising world. You should cherish and nurture it.

Buggered if I'm going to put the effort in to learn it though . Well I might, one day, but PS takes up too much of my spare time.
Who speaks Welsh? on 11:32 - Apr 25 with 1155 viewsvalleyboy

Who speaks Welsh? on 05:25 - Dec 12 by Kilkennyjack

What a fecking moron.

Most countries in the world use 2 languages. Its fecking normal you thick tw@@t.

I also want big money spent on the Welsh (and English and Scottish) NHS.
You know where it needs to come from ... saying no to Trident, stopping Brexit, stopping Heathrow expansion, stopping HS2 and Crossrail. Prosecuting wealthy people who dont pay their taxes, plus the global companies who avoid paying their taxes.

So you see ....its not a choice between the welsh language and the welsh NHS. Only a really thick tw@@t woukd believe that shite.

In fact the UK govt should be paying significant reparations (look it up).

If anyone is a moron, it has to be you

In fact I agree a lot in what Jack 59 has written and that’s somebody that went to a Welsh speaking school for 8 years

What rubbish you write that most countries use two languages. But what use is that when English is the preferred International language in the World

Take Scotland for example. There most people in Scotland speaks English but there are some that speak Gaelic

Now what use is Gaelic in this modern World

In Wales, only about 11% of the population speaks the language fluently and in where there’s been a drop of over 7000 people that don’t speak the language anymore in the last 10 years

Then as for you saying stopping Trident, HS2, Heathrow expansion and cross rail.

Then why should that money be coming to Wales??

As the money created to do these projects come from the people and industries of England with nothing coming from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland for any of those projects

Remembering that in the last audit. Wales showed a £15 billion deficit

Perhaps the people of Wales needs to get off their backsides and did some work for a change. Rather than do nothing, other than to claim their benefits
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024