Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This 14:40 - Apr 20 with 3221 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Why don't our MPs push for the Facebook information, because both the main parties now have large social media teams.

https://www.ted.com/talks/carole_cadwalladr_facebook_s_role_in_brexit_and_the_th

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 14:55 - Apr 20 with 2371 viewsHighjack

You’re not allowed to have an opinion on social media unless you have several accounts and spend at least 21 hours a day on there.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 21:40 - Apr 20 with 2288 viewsKilkennyjack

Carol Cadwallader is a modern day hero 🦸‍♀️ 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👏
Educated in a Welsh Comp.

She has Farage and his motley crew/gang on the run.
Where did the £8m come from Nig ?

Beware of the Risen People

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 22:13 - Apr 20 with 2271 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 21:40 - Apr 20 by Kilkennyjack

She's doing what the free press are supposed to do in a democracy holding those with power to account.
Brexit becomes only a small part of the issue when you consider the wider ramifications of what she implies and a big question is why our MPs are not persuing this. Both main parties have huge social media teams and I guess they are all using the same methods.
She needs more air time as do the issues she talks about, people need to understand how big data is being used to try to manipulate people on line.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2019 22:14]

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 22:15 - Apr 20 with 2263 viewsdickythorpe

Is she related to the ice cream/cafe Cadwalladers?

If only Labour / Welsh Labour had been more vocal about whether they were for or against Brexit.

I don't think you can totally blame Facebook but I suppose some form their opinions on what they see on it.
With the absence of Jeremy Corbyn being clear on his and his party stance it is no wonder that Facebook became influential.
And in Wales Carwyn was firefighting internal issues that resulted in a suicide we are still unclear about.

Blame the so called "leaders" not Facebook.

I'm not on Facebook, I cant imagine I'm alone. I don't need subliminal ads to persuade me what action I should take.

Good luck to Cadwallader though. She's clearly bright.
Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 22:32 - Apr 20 with 2248 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 22:15 - Apr 20 by dickythorpe

Is she related to the ice cream/cafe Cadwalladers?

If only Labour / Welsh Labour had been more vocal about whether they were for or against Brexit.

I don't think you can totally blame Facebook but I suppose some form their opinions on what they see on it.
With the absence of Jeremy Corbyn being clear on his and his party stance it is no wonder that Facebook became influential.
And in Wales Carwyn was firefighting internal issues that resulted in a suicide we are still unclear about.

Blame the so called "leaders" not Facebook.

I'm not on Facebook, I cant imagine I'm alone. I don't need subliminal ads to persuade me what action I should take.

Good luck to Cadwallader though. She's clearly bright.

Labour use similar methodology (see below), as you say they had no clear Brexit stance, Corbyn seems to play the GE percentages!

Part of the issue here is Facebook are not transparent as to what is happening, democracy can be undermined but there is no audit trail and of course all the big tech companies are at this in different ways.

A really simple example taught to me by a colleague who has a wife that works in travel is the cost of flights. If you Google for flights to particular destinations enough you'll start to get bespoke prices based on what you earn and spend (yes all that information is held). Use another IP address and you'll get different often lower prices for the same flight but non of this activity is transparent.

So I search for flights and then get my brother to use his IP address to make the final selection, I saved £79.00 going to the US; same airline, same flight different IP address.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/23/facebook-digital-politics-tor
[Post edited 20 Apr 2019 22:38]

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 22:44 - Apr 20 with 2237 viewsdickythorpe

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 22:32 - Apr 20 by JACKMANANDBOY

Labour use similar methodology (see below), as you say they had no clear Brexit stance, Corbyn seems to play the GE percentages!

Part of the issue here is Facebook are not transparent as to what is happening, democracy can be undermined but there is no audit trail and of course all the big tech companies are at this in different ways.

A really simple example taught to me by a colleague who has a wife that works in travel is the cost of flights. If you Google for flights to particular destinations enough you'll start to get bespoke prices based on what you earn and spend (yes all that information is held). Use another IP address and you'll get different often lower prices for the same flight but non of this activity is transparent.

So I search for flights and then get my brother to use his IP address to make the final selection, I saved £79.00 going to the US; same airline, same flight different IP address.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/23/facebook-digital-politics-tor
[Post edited 20 Apr 2019 22:38]

I don't doubt you're example is true but bloody hell what a rigmarole to book a flight!!!!
Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 23:07 - Apr 20 with 2219 viewsLohengrin

She’s the paid thing of the Soros funded ‘Open’ Network. Bought. Owned. Prostituted.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 23:16 - Apr 20 with 2208 viewsexiledclaseboy

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 23:07 - Apr 20 by Lohengrin

She’s the paid thing of the Soros funded ‘Open’ Network. Bought. Owned. Prostituted.

And there it is. Predictable.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 23:24 - Apr 20 with 2204 viewsLohengrin

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 23:16 - Apr 20 by exiledclaseboy

And there it is. Predictable.

By her own admission she’s an associate of ‘Open Democracy.’ I’d agree that after reading her published articles that was entirely “predictable” if not inevitable, Clase.

If you’re looking for an honest player to read an objective analysis what in God’s name makes you think that you’ll find that in the hack-for-hire MSM?

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 23:43 - Apr 20 with 2190 viewsHighjack

My disdain for social media has often been extemporised on here mainly because of the freaks who inhabit it, but how can it be a “threat to democracy” when it’s everything a democracy should be? An open platform where everyone has a voice and can air their opinions, no matter how daft.

I wouldn’t get rid of it, it’s a good thing. The government probably see it as a threat because it’s difficult for them to control.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 08:54 - Apr 21 with 2098 viewsexiledclaseboy

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 23:43 - Apr 20 by Highjack

My disdain for social media has often been extemporised on here mainly because of the freaks who inhabit it, but how can it be a “threat to democracy” when it’s everything a democracy should be? An open platform where everyone has a voice and can air their opinions, no matter how daft.

I wouldn’t get rid of it, it’s a good thing. The government probably see it as a threat because it’s difficult for them to control.

Government sees social media as an opportunity mainly. Something to be exploited. They’re also terrified of negative coverage on twitter especially. These days more than ever.

Poll: Tory leader

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 09:04 - Apr 21 with 2085 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Have a look at the Chinese Social Credit system where your score determines where you go, what you can do, what you pay.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/c
[Post edited 21 Apr 2019 9:15]

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 09:13 - Apr 21 with 2082 viewsKilkennyjack

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 23:07 - Apr 20 by Lohengrin

She is right though. No doubt about that.

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 09:33 - Apr 21 with 2055 viewswestwalesed

Exactly this in spades.

Even if, and it’s a huge if Social Media “manipulates” people into voting a certain way, that’s exactly what every newspaper has ever done in history. The establishment are flipping out because they no longer set the terms of the story and as such, Democracy is throwing up unexpected results.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 09:42 - Apr 21 with 2053 viewsLohengrin

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 09:13 - Apr 21 by Kilkennyjack

She is right though. No doubt about that.

She talks toward the beginning of her talk about her “growing sense of unreality.” It was a sense of ‘unreality’ I shared as she juxtaposed images of Ebbw Vale works replaced with gleaming artist images of new vanity projects as if the migration of work and its cognate atomisation of community was something desirable. Shiny toys in place of tools.

She’s right? About what? That capital has a malign influence on national polity? The capital that Farage wallows in and the capital stream she swims in are corrosive in equal measure.

Read this, son. Published one hundred and one years ago it’s as relevant now as it was then. It’s the same racket conducted along the same lines in 2019 as it was in 1918.

An essay on the manipulation of news and opinion and how to counter it:

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 10:29 - Apr 21 with 2015 viewsdickythorpe

That is you on the cover Loh dressed up for a Stranglers concert.
Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 10:33 - Apr 21 with 2012 viewsLohengrin

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 10:29 - Apr 21 by dickythorpe

That is you on the cover Loh dressed up for a Stranglers concert.

It’s all about the wing collars, Dicky.

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 15:43 - Apr 21 with 1971 viewssg1912

Her world came crashing down when the Mueller report found no interference and ultimately made her posturing on Twitter over the last 2 years meaningless
Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 16:17 - Apr 21 with 1955 viewsHighjack

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 15:43 - Apr 21 by sg1912

Her world came crashing down when the Mueller report found no interference and ultimately made her posturing on Twitter over the last 2 years meaningless

She does seem like a bit of a wally. Investigates everything and finds out nothing.

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 18:55 - Apr 21 with 1921 viewsKilkennyjack

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 15:43 - Apr 21 by sg1912

Not at all ....

Her main target is the illegal Brexit ref in 2016.
It broke our laws. Thats established fact.

The links between Farage/Banks to Bannon/Trump are pretty clear to all.

I will be amazed if a judge led inquiry into Brexit at some (not so) future point in time, does not put a lot of focus on the activities of Farage/banks - and especially their funding streams. Follow the money innit ... ?

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 19:14 - Apr 21 with 1910 viewssg1912

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 18:55 - Apr 21 by Kilkennyjack

Not at all ....

I will be amazed if a judge led inquiry into Brexit at some (not so) future point in time, does not put a lot of focus on the activities of Farage/banks - and especially their funding streams. Follow the money innit ... ?

Carole’s entire career has been built on trying to frame Brexit as Russian interventionism, I know you don’t want to hear it.. but the Mueller report absolutely shattered her reputation, don’t you remember the infamous ‘person of interest’ tweet?

I think the only court case will be a defamation lawsuit against the likes of Carole.
Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 19:38 - Apr 21 with 1900 viewsHighjack

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 18:55 - Apr 21 by Kilkennyjack

Not at all ....

The referendum was illegal? That’s news to all of us.

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 20:09 - Apr 21 with 1885 viewsFlashberryjack

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 19:38 - Apr 21 by Highjack

He does live in a different world to the rest of us mind.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 21:04 - Apr 21 with 1858 viewsKilkennyjack

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 19:38 - Apr 21 by Highjack

Sorry my bad ...

Corrected below ...

Vote Leave has dropped its appeal against a £61,000 fine for breaking electoral law over spending limits, the Electoral Commission has said. The official pro-Brexit campaign for the UK's EU referendum was fined in July for exceeding its £7m spending limit for the vote.

They just broke the law.

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 21:19 - Apr 21 with 1841 viewssg1912

Facebook, Brexit and Democracy - Watch This on 21:04 - Apr 21 by Kilkennyjack

Sorry my bad ...

Corrected below ...

Vote Leave has dropped its appeal against a £61,000 fine for breaking electoral law over spending limits, the Electoral Commission has said. The official pro-Brexit campaign for the UK's EU referendum was fined in July for exceeding its £7m spending limit for the vote.

They just broke the law.

www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/journalist/electoral-commission-media-centre/party-and-election-finance-to-keep/liberal-democrats-fined-18,000-for-breaches-of-campaign-finance-rules

... you could void nearly every election over the past 100 years if you were going to apply the same level of scrutiny, but I suspect it's selective outrage on your part as you didn't get your way.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024