Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ 23:14 - Jun 15 with 9880 viewsexiledclaseboy

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/15/kenneth-clarke-bring-down-no-de

Poll: Tory leader

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 23:30 - Jun 15 with 3518 viewsNookiejack

The same Ken Clarke that wanted us to join the Euro
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 10:28 - Jun 16 with 3364 viewscontroversial_jack

This govt is doing a great job of destroying the Tory party, long may it continue.

If we have a Labour govt, they will catch the blame for the Brexit mess, so let's continue with this one for a while
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 10:47 - Jun 16 with 3334 viewsBrynCartwright

Interesting article.

Tory MPs bringing down a Tory Government. The mind boggles.

UK politics, and by inference the UK, is seen as a laughing stock internationally. Well done David Cameron for allowing it to happen, and all the idiotic Eurosceptics for making us look like right dicks.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 10:51 - Jun 16 with 3331 viewsdickythorpe

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 10:28 - Jun 16 by controversial_jack

This govt is doing a great job of destroying the Tory party, long may it continue.

If we have a Labour govt, they will catch the blame for the Brexit mess, so let's continue with this one for a while

This is where we, the British Public, need to vote on who we want as PM
For me Rory Stewart ANSWERS questions.
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 10:56 - Jun 16 with 3324 viewsHighjack

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 10:51 - Jun 16 by dickythorpe

Hopefully he doesn’t answer questions like David Lammy on mastermind.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 11:23 - Jun 16 with 3296 viewsbluey_the_blue

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 10:51 - Jun 16 by dickythorpe

His flip-flopping over serving in a BoJo cabinet would indicate that's not true.

I do like a lot about him, I'd probably vote for him in a post-Brexit leadership election. Sadly, his Brexit approach seems to be a clone of May.
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 11:24 - Jun 16 with 3291 viewsbluey_the_blue

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 10:28 - Jun 16 by controversial_jack

It sums up the state of Labour at the moment that their only chance of power is for Tories to implode.
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 11:49 - Jun 16 with 3262 viewsNookiejack

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 10:47 - Jun 16 by BrynCartwright

Interesting article.

Tory MPs bringing down a Tory Government. The mind boggles.

UK politics, and by inference the UK, is seen as a laughing stock internationally. Well done David Cameron for allowing it to happen, and all the idiotic Eurosceptics for making us look like right dicks.

Tony Blair and John Major ie pro EU PMs, should have talked up the benefits of the EU when they were in power.
Login to get fewer ads

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:05 - Jun 16 with 3240 viewsAnotherJohn

Hansard, Debate on EU Referendum Bill, June 9th 2015, Column 1075

Mr Kenneth Clarke (Rushcliffe) (Con)

...."politicians of conviction fight in referendums and accept that they have lost them"...

Oh well...
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:06 - Jun 16 with 3239 viewsunion_jack

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 11:24 - Jun 16 by bluey_the_blue

It sums up the state of Labour at the moment that their only chance of power is for Tories to implode.

It’s the wrong party who is holding the leadership elections. May was ineffective, but no one else could do any better as I’m sure we’ll find out soon.

What needs to happen is for the Labour Party to oust Corbyn out immediately and elect someone more to the centre with a pledge to hold a confirmatory vote on Brexit. Corbyn still is ambiguous about this the last I heard. Labour would romp home in GE I’d wager and normality could be resumed.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:07 - Jun 16 with 3231 viewslondonlisa2001

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 11:49 - Jun 16 by Nookiejack

Tony Blair and John Major ie pro EU PMs, should have talked up the benefits of the EU when they were in power.

Why would you have listened then when you refuse to do so now?
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:07 - Jun 16 with 3232 viewsexiledclaseboy

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:05 - Jun 16 by AnotherJohn

Hansard, Debate on EU Referendum Bill, June 9th 2015, Column 1075

Mr Kenneth Clarke (Rushcliffe) (Con)

...."politicians of conviction fight in referendums and accept that they have lost them"...

Oh well...

He’s not trying to stop us leaving though. He voted for the withdrawal agreement. He just won’t countenance leaving with no deal.

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:10 - Jun 16 with 3226 viewsbluey_the_blue

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:07 - Jun 16 by londonlisa2001

Why would you have listened then when you refuse to do so now?

I suspect a lot of problems wouldn't have festered if Major had held a referendum over Maastricht.
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:11 - Jun 16 with 3221 viewslondonlisa2001

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 11:24 - Jun 16 by bluey_the_blue

It sums up the Tories that Labour have as bad a leader as it’s possible to imagine, are plagued with in fighting and indecision, and still the new Tory leader won’t call a general election because they’ll beat him.
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:13 - Jun 16 with 3209 viewslondonlisa2001

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:10 - Jun 16 by bluey_the_blue

I suspect a lot of problems wouldn't have festered if Major had held a referendum over Maastricht.

A lot of problems wouldn’t have festered if the bunch of right wing bigots currently dominating the Conservative party had been told to sit down and shut up.
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:13 - Jun 16 with 3211 viewsAnotherJohn

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:07 - Jun 16 by exiledclaseboy

He’s not trying to stop us leaving though. He voted for the withdrawal agreement. He just won’t countenance leaving with no deal.

I would like to believe you, just as i would have liked to believe Mr Clarke. Sadly, experience tells me that I cannot.

Those debates are extremely interesting reading in retrospect. Hammond, Benn, Vaz and others all referred to the highly consequential and binding nature of the decision about to be made.
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:14 - Jun 16 with 3209 viewsbluey_the_blue

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:11 - Jun 16 by londonlisa2001

It sums up the Tories that Labour have as bad a leader as it’s possible to imagine, are plagued with in fighting and indecision, and still the new Tory leader won’t call a general election because they’ll beat him.

The threat is Brexit party, not Labour.

Labour's win in Peterborough is being investigated, don't forget.
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:15 - Jun 16 with 3201 viewsexiledclaseboy

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:14 - Jun 16 by bluey_the_blue

The threat is Brexit party, not Labour.

Labour's win in Peterborough is being investigated, don't forget.

That’s ok though, because breaking election law doesn’t invalidate the result of said election or referendum, remember?

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:16 - Jun 16 with 3196 viewsbluey_the_blue

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:15 - Jun 16 by exiledclaseboy

That’s ok though, because breaking election law doesn’t invalidate the result of said election or referendum, remember?

Well, if you want to equate spending with fraudulent postal votes...
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:17 - Jun 16 with 3188 viewsexiledclaseboy

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:13 - Jun 16 by AnotherJohn

I would like to believe you, just as i would have liked to believe Mr Clarke. Sadly, experience tells me that I cannot.

Those debates are extremely interesting reading in retrospect. Hammond, Benn, Vaz and others all referred to the highly consequential and binding nature of the decision about to be made.

So if he didn’t want to honour the referendum result why would he have voted for the withdrawal agreement? If enough MPs had followed his lead we’d have left the EU months ago.

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:19 - Jun 16 with 3181 viewsexiledclaseboy

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:16 - Jun 16 by bluey_the_blue

Well, if you want to equate spending with fraudulent postal votes...

Election law is election law Bluey. You can’t have degrees. And of course so far there have been no charges in the Peterborough case let alone convictions.

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:19 - Jun 16 with 3178 viewsbluey_the_blue

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:17 - Jun 16 by exiledclaseboy

So if he didn’t want to honour the referendum result why would he have voted for the withdrawal agreement? If enough MPs had followed his lead we’d have left the EU months ago.

Could have been posturing, knowing there wasn't enough support to get May's deal through Parliament.
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:21 - Jun 16 with 3174 viewsexiledclaseboy

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:19 - Jun 16 by bluey_the_blue

Could have been posturing, knowing there wasn't enough support to get May's deal through Parliament.

Ha. Yeah of course. F*cking hell.

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:22 - Jun 16 with 3167 viewsbluey_the_blue

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:19 - Jun 16 by exiledclaseboy

Election law is election law Bluey. You can’t have degrees. And of course so far there have been no charges in the Peterborough case let alone convictions.

Indeed, no charges, which is why I pointed out an investigation is ongoing.

What we know are the allegations - irregularities around postal voting in an election where a convicted postal vote fixer was campaigning for Labour, pictured with Corbyn, also claims that people were taking photos of the way they voted.

If there are charges and the by election re-run, could well see Labour lose the seat.l
‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:22 - Jun 16 with 3162 viewsexiledclaseboy

‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’ on 12:22 - Jun 16 by bluey_the_blue

Indeed, no charges, which is why I pointed out an investigation is ongoing.

What we know are the allegations - irregularities around postal voting in an election where a convicted postal vote fixer was campaigning for Labour, pictured with Corbyn, also claims that people were taking photos of the way they voted.

If there are charges and the by election re-run, could well see Labour lose the seat.l

Lots of ifs there mush. Rerunning the election is an unlikely outcome anyway.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024