Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To loan or to buy 18:33 - Jun 18 with 7657 viewsSwanseaman

With loaning a player, while they could be of great help, and improve our chances of a promotion push. At the end of the season, all the work put in improving and developing them is for another club .

I would prefer to buy players who have potential and to develop them for us, so all the work put in is for us. This is also the better business, as the initial investment can increase quite a lot depending on how much they improve.

I think even if we get to the premiership again, it's better to find youngsters with potential that we can develop rather than the route jenkins went on of buying older experienced top players who were too expensive.

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

To loan or to buy on 18:48 - Jun 18 with 4708 viewsLuther27

As far as “Jenkins” buys they were the only players that would sign for us. Carlos reiterated that in several interviews citing two Athletico players where everything was agreed but they refused to come here. So to answer your question, in a perfect world we should develop our own and not spend time or money developing young talent loaned from another club. However, how long would it be before the vocals on here would be shouting to buy success. I use the lack of signing Woods as evidence.
To loan or to buy on 19:19 - Jun 18 with 4640 viewsjasper_T

It's about year on year progression, which you can still have with loan reinforcements. The issue comes if you have an ageing permanent core propped up by the talented loans (Derby, see chart below) or loan players get game time ahead of your club's own prospects (CCV vs Rodon). Generally speaking we're in a good place to keep moving forward even if we don't spend cash signing more young players with "potential" on long term deals. It's a big young squad with a good academy foundation, with top facilities giving Cooper & co. "no excuses" when it comes to producing individual improvement.

Cooper sounds like he has the right idea, talking about the specific types of players needing to be identified, and for specific positions we need (replacing DJ, a few other "obvious ones"), not just bringing in whoever rings him up, however talented they might be, or how fashionable their academy is.

To loan or to buy on 19:25 - Jun 18 with 4614 viewsjasper_T

By comparison here's last year's charts. Only Hull had greater turnover than us, but then sometimes the grass is actually greener. Stability didn't lead to much success for Wigan, Millwall and Reading.

https://experimental361.com/2018/09/01/how-much-has-each-squad-changed-since-201
To loan or to buy on 19:25 - Jun 18 with 4612 viewsDr_Winston

I guess we could ask Aston Villa fans if they're that bothered about developing Tammy Abraham for Chelsea given the 25+ goals he scored last season.

Ultimately if two or three quality loanees can propel us towards a decent stab at promotion most people wouldn't care all that much about who gains in the long term.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

To loan or to buy on 19:34 - Jun 18 with 4569 viewsLuther27

To loan or to buy on 19:25 - Jun 18 by jasper_T

By comparison here's last year's charts. Only Hull had greater turnover than us, but then sometimes the grass is actually greener. Stability didn't lead to much success for Wigan, Millwall and Reading.

https://experimental361.com/2018/09/01/how-much-has-each-squad-changed-since-201

I agree to an extent. I think FFP points deducted from Birmingham was a shot across the bows of Championship clubs. Also, didn’t QPR get a hefty fine? This season proved the benefit of having a well set up and well run Academy system which to be fair Birch has recognised by maintaining its function. We do however have to plug gaps in the squad but I would hate to go down the road of Stoke where the majority of the team that got promoted last time around consisted of loan players.
To loan or to buy on 19:43 - Jun 18 with 4539 viewsSwanseaman

To loan or to buy on 19:25 - Jun 18 by Dr_Winston

I guess we could ask Aston Villa fans if they're that bothered about developing Tammy Abraham for Chelsea given the 25+ goals he scored last season.

Ultimately if two or three quality loanees can propel us towards a decent stab at promotion most people wouldn't care all that much about who gains in the long term.

If we could get a 25+ goal scoring loanee, and another couple of quality loans to propel us towards a decent stab at promotion that would be great.

If Cooper has some youngster gems he has his eye on that we could buy outright and could be developed that would also be great.

With loan or buy, there are no guarantees how well they will do for us, as sanches showed us. I'm not totally against loans, but buying players who have a lot of potential and developing them could be the better way in the long run.

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

To loan or to buy on 19:50 - Jun 18 with 4512 viewsDr_Winston

To loan or to buy on 19:43 - Jun 18 by Swanseaman

If we could get a 25+ goal scoring loanee, and another couple of quality loans to propel us towards a decent stab at promotion that would be great.

If Cooper has some youngster gems he has his eye on that we could buy outright and could be developed that would also be great.

With loan or buy, there are no guarantees how well they will do for us, as sanches showed us. I'm not totally against loans, but buying players who have a lot of potential and developing them could be the better way in the long run.

No reason we can't do both.

A solid mix of bought and home grown talent for development with a couple of loanees to add depth.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

To loan or to buy on 20:09 - Jun 18 with 4473 viewsjack247

We’re skint. We aren’t going to be spending significant money on transfers.

It will be promoted under 23s, loans, frees, and the odd Declan John type signing. Nothing too much wrong with that. The owners don’t have any ambition past balancing the books, so we’ll chug along on a shoestring until they either get in the black or find a buyer.
Login to get fewer ads

To loan or to buy on 20:09 - Jun 18 with 4474 viewsLuther27

To loan or to buy on 19:25 - Jun 18 by Dr_Winston

That’s fair enough but remember when Tammy was here and the number of fans who abused the board for wasting money on him. If rumours to be believed he cost Villa £7 million loan fee and wages circa £60k a week... but yes he did the business. Meanwhile our lot would have sold DJ for less than £10 million etc etc so I think that points to our boards future plans.
To loan or to buy on 20:10 - Jun 18 with 4472 viewsBrynmill_Jack

To loan or to buy on 19:50 - Jun 18 by Dr_Winston

No reason we can't do both.

A solid mix of bought and home grown talent for development with a couple of loanees to add depth.

A midfielder with a bit of bite we could do with in his mid to late 20’s

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

To loan or to buy on 20:17 - Jun 18 with 4443 viewsSwanseaman

To loan or to buy on 20:09 - Jun 18 by jack247

We’re skint. We aren’t going to be spending significant money on transfers.

It will be promoted under 23s, loans, frees, and the odd Declan John type signing. Nothing too much wrong with that. The owners don’t have any ambition past balancing the books, so we’ll chug along on a shoestring until they either get in the black or find a buyer.

it may cost more to loan if we are getting them from a top premiership club, and depending how cheap it would cost us to buy for (any bargains out there that Copper may have his eye on)

To loan or to buy on 20:24 - Jun 18 with 4418 viewsjack247

To loan or to buy on 20:17 - Jun 18 by Swanseaman

it may cost more to loan if we are getting them from a top premiership club, and depending how cheap it would cost us to buy for (any bargains out there that Copper may have his eye on)

We won’t pay massive loan fees either. We’re skint
To loan or to buy on 20:35 - Jun 18 with 4390 viewsSwanseaman

To loan or to buy on 20:24 - Jun 18 by jack247

We won’t pay massive loan fees either. We’re skint

We've been linked to a Forest green rovers defender now, Nathan McGinley

https://the72.co.uk/135369/forest-green-rovers-defender-wanted-by-swansea-city-a
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 20:35]

To loan or to buy on 20:45 - Jun 18 with 4355 viewsjasper_T

To loan or to buy on 20:35 - Jun 18 by Swanseaman

We've been linked to a Forest green rovers defender now, Nathan McGinley

https://the72.co.uk/135369/forest-green-rovers-defender-wanted-by-swansea-city-a
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 20:35]

Usually when 4 teams are mentioned as targeting a player in a single article it's nonsense.
To loan or to buy on 20:51 - Jun 18 with 4336 viewsSwanseaman

To loan or to buy on 20:45 - Jun 18 by jasper_T

Usually when 4 teams are mentioned as targeting a player in a single article it's nonsense.

Leeds have also been mentioned, just journo hype prob.

To loan or to buy on 20:58 - Jun 18 with 4306 viewsjasper_T

To loan or to buy on 20:51 - Jun 18 by Swanseaman

Leeds have also been mentioned, just journo hype prob.

We were looking at a left-sided centre half but sounds like Potter wants to take Matt Clarke to Brighton with him. Whether Cooper feels he wants one remains to be seen. Rodon was very good there and Cian's a natural left-footer who played in League One. There are bigger gaps in the squad if we're planning to spend money.
To loan or to buy on 21:30 - Jun 18 with 4225 viewsNortbankboy

Buy,we don't need to spend big money.
Jenkins did not pay much for james Byers Fulton and macbernie.
What are they worth now?
The old board invested a lot of money in fairwood
And now it's starting to pay dividends
To loan or to buy on 22:01 - Jun 18 with 4152 viewsLuther27

To loan or to buy on 21:30 - Jun 18 by Nortbankboy

What are they worth now?

That opinion won’t go down well with some....even though you’re correct.
To loan or to buy on 22:09 - Jun 18 with 4120 viewsdobjack2

What are they worth now?

Those signings weren’t the problem though.
To loan or to buy on 22:17 - Jun 18 with 4101 viewsTNT

We've attracted quality young players like Leon Britton, when we were much further down the league in the past, who stayed. Similar would be most welcome this season, TVM.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

To loan or to buy on 02:48 - Jun 19 with 3915 viewsBrynmill_Jack

What are they worth now?

And due to the money wasted on lazy transfers like Andre Ayew , Wilf and Baston that very academy’s future could be in doubt. You and “Huwther “ can't have it both ways.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

To loan or to buy on 10:18 - Jun 19 with 3687 viewsJacket

It nearly worked out for Derby, but you do wonder what kind of loan fees you've hot to hand out. Over-dependency on loans could leave you up the shitter if you fail because you've got nothing to show for your outlay, and equally kill any momentum if you get promoted and fail to hold on to your loanees.
To loan or to buy on 11:48 - Jun 19 with 3548 viewsjackrmee

One or two loans is ample imo. As long as we can get a couple of boys through on permanent deals too. Don't have to be expensive.
Be nice to get that Lameiras in. I'd like Shankland too, as I think he's available on a free now right?

IMO here's what we have and need.

GK.
Mulder/Nordfeldt/Benda.
I would like to see a change here, but don't think it's essential. Can't see anyone coming in unless one or more are sold first. A loan would be fine, as it would enable our remaining GKs to learn more, while having a good keeper for the year.
LOAN (if sell first).

Central Defence.
MVH/Rodon/Harries.
Definitely need to strengthen here. I wouldn't mind a permanent signing here, so the boys can start off like last season with Joe and Mike holding fort. I think a loanee would mean more pressure to play him instead of giving our young players a chance. Rodon can do the job there for me, but also, if someone is brought in and Joe's on the bench, he is adult enough to take that, as we saw last season. If we bought another young CB he could provide decent competition with Harries (unless you guys think Brandon Cooper is up for the challenge?).
BUY.

Full back:
Naughton/Roberts/John.
Definitely need another here, as I would play John higher up the pitch. Connor needs to play.
Here I think a loan would be good, as we need someone with quality who can go straight into the team. I think Naughton is still dependable, but he will need someone good to motivate him to challenge for his spot IMO and he's not really suited to the LB role.
Not perfect, but Reece James has been linked. He could play on our right and Connor move over to the left. Injury permitting, maybe Govea could get some chances off the bench this year. We definitely need a left sided FB pretty desperately.
Possibly could do with 2 loan signings here. One left and one right to push our 2 for their places.
Buying a good, bargain young left back is essential too IMO, unless theres one in the u23s ready to give it a go?
LOAN x 2.
BUY.

Midfield:
Grimes/Carroll/Fulton/Byers/Evans.
Grimes is standout here for me, but is still getting to grips with it. Depending on what formation Cooper plays, he may need some steel with him back there. Also, with Grimes' versatility, he could be needed elsewhere, so Fulton may play there more often. Carroll to go for me.
Byers should cement himself in the middle this year, with Jack Evans talked about a lot.
Difficult to find someone decent enough who we could afford to buy, so I think a strong loan should be the way forward here. I reckon it should be our biggest loan signing. Someone with experience so Grimes can learn about the defensive role.
I'd personally like to see Ampadu, but very unlikely.
LOAN.

Attacking mid/No 10:
Celina/McKay.
Plenty of quality in Celina. McKay I think is good back up, as he's made some good performances in the 10 role, however still has much to prove and doubters to silence.
Jonny Williams linked strongly. I would sign him as it's free and he's versatile.
BUY (if Williams comes for free).

Wingers:
Dyer/Routledge/Asoro/Dhanda/Garrick/McKay/Montero/John.
Plenty here. Don't need to sign anyone on the wings.
Lameiras linked heavily and could come for free, so sign him as he's also versatile. Montero will probably leave.
BUY (if Lameiras comes for free).

Striker:
McBurnie/Routledge/Asoro/Garrick/CBR.
Not as thin as people think upfront IMO, however I would like to stregnthen here, as I don't rate CBR at all and Asoro hasn't proved his potential yet. Wayne and Oli both did a great job upfront last year, but think we need to buy here and get rid of CBR.
Lawrence Shankland for me. He's free and he definitely knows where the goal is.
BUY (Shankland for free).

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

To loan or to buy on 11:59 - Jun 19 with 3522 viewsjackrmee

To loan or to buy on 11:48 - Jun 19 by jackrmee

One or two loans is ample imo. As long as we can get a couple of boys through on permanent deals too. Don't have to be expensive.
Be nice to get that Lameiras in. I'd like Shankland too, as I think he's available on a free now right?

IMO here's what we have and need.

GK.
Mulder/Nordfeldt/Benda.
I would like to see a change here, but don't think it's essential. Can't see anyone coming in unless one or more are sold first. A loan would be fine, as it would enable our remaining GKs to learn more, while having a good keeper for the year.
LOAN (if sell first).

Central Defence.
MVH/Rodon/Harries.
Definitely need to strengthen here. I wouldn't mind a permanent signing here, so the boys can start off like last season with Joe and Mike holding fort. I think a loanee would mean more pressure to play him instead of giving our young players a chance. Rodon can do the job there for me, but also, if someone is brought in and Joe's on the bench, he is adult enough to take that, as we saw last season. If we bought another young CB he could provide decent competition with Harries (unless you guys think Brandon Cooper is up for the challenge?).
BUY.

Full back:
Naughton/Roberts/John.
Definitely need another here, as I would play John higher up the pitch. Connor needs to play.
Here I think a loan would be good, as we need someone with quality who can go straight into the team. I think Naughton is still dependable, but he will need someone good to motivate him to challenge for his spot IMO and he's not really suited to the LB role.
Not perfect, but Reece James has been linked. He could play on our right and Connor move over to the left. Injury permitting, maybe Govea could get some chances off the bench this year. We definitely need a left sided FB pretty desperately.
Possibly could do with 2 loan signings here. One left and one right to push our 2 for their places.
Buying a good, bargain young left back is essential too IMO, unless theres one in the u23s ready to give it a go?
LOAN x 2.
BUY.

Midfield:
Grimes/Carroll/Fulton/Byers/Evans.
Grimes is standout here for me, but is still getting to grips with it. Depending on what formation Cooper plays, he may need some steel with him back there. Also, with Grimes' versatility, he could be needed elsewhere, so Fulton may play there more often. Carroll to go for me.
Byers should cement himself in the middle this year, with Jack Evans talked about a lot.
Difficult to find someone decent enough who we could afford to buy, so I think a strong loan should be the way forward here. I reckon it should be our biggest loan signing. Someone with experience so Grimes can learn about the defensive role.
I'd personally like to see Ampadu, but very unlikely.
LOAN.

Attacking mid/No 10:
Celina/McKay.
Plenty of quality in Celina. McKay I think is good back up, as he's made some good performances in the 10 role, however still has much to prove and doubters to silence.
Jonny Williams linked strongly. I would sign him as it's free and he's versatile.
BUY (if Williams comes for free).

Wingers:
Dyer/Routledge/Asoro/Dhanda/Garrick/McKay/Montero/John.
Plenty here. Don't need to sign anyone on the wings.
Lameiras linked heavily and could come for free, so sign him as he's also versatile. Montero will probably leave.
BUY (if Lameiras comes for free).

Striker:
McBurnie/Routledge/Asoro/Garrick/CBR.
Not as thin as people think upfront IMO, however I would like to stregnthen here, as I don't rate CBR at all and Asoro hasn't proved his potential yet. Wayne and Oli both did a great job upfront last year, but think we need to buy here and get rid of CBR.
Lawrence Shankland for me. He's free and he definitely knows where the goal is.
BUY (Shankland for free).

So to cut a long story short and to answer the OP....

Buy a few in on free/cheap who will challenge or be back up:
CB.
LB.
10. (Williams)
Wing. (Lameiras)
ST. (Shankland)

Loan 2 or 3 who we will need to slot straight in:
GK. (if one is sold).
LB.
RB. (James if possible *if not, just LB needed on loan)
DM (Ampadu or similar).

Now I know there are some good players linked now with Cooper in charge ie. Harry Wilson, Rhian Brewster, etc.
I know I'll get shot down for this, but I think we should only loan players in positions we are desperate for people to go into our actual match day XI.
We don't need Brewster or Wilson IMO. We have enough to battle for those positions and there are cheap options available who can and probably will improve with us.

Loans will help us, but we need to make sure we are getting them in purely for that reason, otherwise utilising what we have and what we can get in for cheap, who'll quite possibly rise in value.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

To loan or to buy on 12:01 - Jun 19 with 3519 viewsjasper_T

We shouldn't be buying another young, promising centreback when we have Cooper, Lewis and Cabango at the club behind Harries and Rodon. Chock full of prospects in that position.

Cameron Evans (brother of Jack) isn't awful either.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024