Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's Boris 12:10 - Jul 23 with 10394 viewsblackpooljack

Discuss
It's Boris on 09:39 - Jul 24 with 1029 viewsbluey_the_blue

It's Boris on 09:18 - Jul 24 by sherpajacob

Are you now arguing that politicians should not respect referendum results?.

U turn if you want to.

And where exactly did I said that?

Pointing out the disaster of a Welsh Assembly shows those voting against were correct somehow equates to saying "ugg ugg ignore referendum result"? The referendum result was rightly respected.

So desperate to score points you have to invent comments, eh?
It's Boris (n/t) on 09:40 - Jul 24 with 1028 viewsbluey_the_blue

It's Boris on 09:36 - Jul 24 by longlostjack

Bluey is nothing if not consistently inconsistent!

[Post edited 24 Jul 2019 9:40]
It's Boris (n/t) on 09:50 - Jul 24 with 995 viewsWarwickHunt

It's Boris (n/t) on 09:40 - Jul 24 by bluey_the_blue

[Post edited 24 Jul 2019 9:40]

One of your better posts, Bluey.
It's Boris on 09:51 - Jul 24 with 998 viewssherpajacob

It's Boris on 09:39 - Jul 24 by bluey_the_blue

And where exactly did I said that?

Pointing out the disaster of a Welsh Assembly shows those voting against were correct somehow equates to saying "ugg ugg ignore referendum result"? The referendum result was rightly respected.

So desperate to score points you have to invent comments, eh?

The Welsh devolution referendum result was respected by other parties, but not by the Tories because they voted against it. As was their right.

Jo Swinson or any other politician has the right to vote against implementing the result of the EU referendum,

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

It's Boris on 10:18 - Jul 24 with 965 viewsJack59

It is often said that when major political or constitutional change is proposed in a polity with a longstanding and stable tradition, the burden of proof weighs more heavily on those who want the change than with those who don’t. That is why such change more often than not requires a two-thirds majority. The referendum of 2016 specified no such requirement, which does make the 52%-48% margin look decisive. When remain voters retort that it is nonetheless too close to be safe, leavers claim it was ‘the largest exercise in democracy the UK has ever seen’.

Those were the words of Charles Turner in an article published on the LSE website, but there are many other eminent political commentators who have the same views.
It's Boris on 10:25 - Jul 24 with 956 viewssherpajacob

It's Boris on 10:18 - Jul 24 by Jack59

It is often said that when major political or constitutional change is proposed in a polity with a longstanding and stable tradition, the burden of proof weighs more heavily on those who want the change than with those who don’t. That is why such change more often than not requires a two-thirds majority. The referendum of 2016 specified no such requirement, which does make the 52%-48% margin look decisive. When remain voters retort that it is nonetheless too close to be safe, leavers claim it was ‘the largest exercise in democracy the UK has ever seen’.

Those were the words of Charles Turner in an article published on the LSE website, but there are many other eminent political commentators who have the same views.

This was discussed pre referendum, but because the referendum was only advisory, no such super majority was deemed necessary.

It's Boris on 10:47 - Jul 24 with 928 viewsJack59

It's Boris on 10:25 - Jul 24 by sherpajacob

This was discussed pre referendum, but because the referendum was only advisory, no such super majority was deemed necessary.

I was thinking more of the Welsh devolution referendum.
It's Boris on 12:16 - Jul 24 with 896 viewssherpajacob

It's Boris on 10:47 - Jul 24 by Jack59

I was thinking more of the Welsh devolution referendum.

Apologies, I presumed your references to 2016, 52-48, remain and leave voters meant you were talking about the EU referendum.

Login to get fewer ads

It's Boris on 12:20 - Jul 24 with 887 viewsbluey_the_blue

It's Boris on 09:51 - Jul 24 by sherpajacob

The Welsh devolution referendum result was respected by other parties, but not by the Tories because they voted against it. As was their right.

Jo Swinson or any other politician has the right to vote against implementing the result of the EU referendum,

Indeed Swinson ( and now Lucas ) do have that right. It's also right their stance in coming out and stating any further referendum result contrary to their beliefs will be ignored is highlighted should that event ever come to pass.
It's Boris on 12:38 - Jul 24 with 861 viewssherpajacob

It's Boris on 12:20 - Jul 24 by bluey_the_blue

Indeed Swinson ( and now Lucas ) do have that right. It's also right their stance in coming out and stating any further referendum result contrary to their beliefs will be ignored is highlighted should that event ever come to pass.

Swinson, Lucas and others have never hidden their remain allegiances and have been open about campaigning for the Uk remaining in the EU through democratic process. So I'm curious what you meant by "not a good look" in terms of Swinson opposing any future vote to leave., which you say you agree is her democratic right, or have I made your comment up?

It's Boris on 17:29 - Jul 23 with 543 views
bluey_the_blue
"Swinson stated she'd ignore a Leave vote in a second referendum - if one occurred and Leave won, she'd vote against it in Parliament. Not a good look."
[Post edited 24 Jul 2019 12:39]

It's Boris on 13:50 - Jul 24 with 838 viewsHighjack

It's Boris on 12:38 - Jul 24 by sherpajacob

Swinson, Lucas and others have never hidden their remain allegiances and have been open about campaigning for the Uk remaining in the EU through democratic process. So I'm curious what you meant by "not a good look" in terms of Swinson opposing any future vote to leave., which you say you agree is her democratic right, or have I made your comment up?

bluey_the_blue
"Swinson stated she'd ignore a Leave vote in a second referendum - if one occurred and Leave won, she'd vote against it in Parliament. Not a good look."

Wanting to stop Brexit is fine, but as far as I’m aware she’s campaigning for a second referendum whilst openly admitting she won’t help enforce the result if it goes the wrong way for her. “We should let the people decide. Then if they vote the wrong way, we ignore them” is not a good look for democracy.

They should drop this nonsensical second referendum stuff.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

It's Boris on 13:54 - Jul 24 with 832 viewsbluey_the_blue

It's Boris on 12:38 - Jul 24 by sherpajacob

bluey_the_blue

Swinson wants a second referendum, I do believe?

Pursuing that whilst stating she'd not abide by the result if it didn't go the way she want isn't a good look, wouldn't you agree?
It's Boris on 13:59 - Jul 24 with 829 viewsHighjack

It's Boris on 13:54 - Jul 24 by bluey_the_blue

Pursuing that whilst stating she'd not abide by the result if it didn't go the way she want isn't a good look, wouldn't you agree?

That’s what I said.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

It's Boris on 14:00 - Jul 24 with 827 viewsbluey_the_blue

It's Boris on 13:59 - Jul 24 by Highjack

That’s what I said.

Arf! Reply was intended for Sherpa.
It's Boris on 15:37 - Jul 24 with 783 viewssherpajacob

Jeremy Corbyn wants a general election, if there is one and he loses and the Tories remain in government, is Jezza, and all the other opposition MPs, duty bound to vote for all the legislation and policies in the Tory manifesto?

If there is another referendum and remain wins, will Bill cash, Rees Mogg and John Redwood vote to revoke A50?

It's Boris on 15:46 - Jul 24 with 776 viewsbluey_the_blue

It's Boris on 15:37 - Jul 24 by sherpajacob

Jeremy Corbyn wants a general election, if there is one and he loses and the Tories remain in government, is Jezza, and all the other opposition MPs, duty bound to vote for all the legislation and policies in the Tory manifesto?

If there is another referendum and remain wins, will Bill cash, Rees Mogg and John Redwood vote to revoke A50?

Errm, lol?

Your intended analogy would be Corbyn campaiging for a general election losing then turning round and saying "doesn't matter, I'm PM after all".

If there's another referendum and remain wins, I'd imagine based upon MPs ignoring the result of the first, there would be a demand for a tie breaker third.
It's Boris on 16:49 - Jul 24 with 714 viewslondonlisa2001

No, she wants to remain.

The LibDems couldn’t be more clear.
It's Boris on 17:05 - Jul 24 with 687 viewsbluey_the_blue

It's Boris on 16:49 - Jul 24 by londonlisa2001

No, she wants to remain.

The LibDems couldn’t be more clear.

Thought she wanted a second referendum?
It's Boris on 17:07 - Jul 24 with 687 viewsmonmouth

It's Boris on 15:46 - Jul 24 by bluey_the_blue

Errm, lol?

Your intended analogy would be Corbyn campaiging for a general election losing then turning round and saying "doesn't matter, I'm PM after all".

If there's another referendum and remain wins, I'd imagine based upon MPs ignoring the result of the first, there would be a demand for a tie breaker third.

Fair do’s Bluey, even for you, you’ve gone tonto. Are you off your meds?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

It's Boris on 17:08 - Jul 24 with 684 viewslondonlisa2001

It's Boris on 17:05 - Jul 24 by bluey_the_blue

Thought she wanted a second referendum?

Are you deranged?

What part of ‘boll*cks to brexit’ do you think is unclear?
It's Boris on 17:11 - Jul 24 with 673 viewsWarwickHunt

Bluey’s been giving that crack pipe some serious attention lately.
It's Boris on 17:14 - Jul 24 with 671 viewsBatterseajack

So Liam Fox has quit. As someone who campaigned for Brexit, how come he didn't want to work under Boris Johnson? His job is to get us all these new trade deals that were to replace and be better than the ones we already had. His job is far from over.

What a sh!thouse
It's Boris on 17:16 - Jul 24 with 670 viewsbluey_the_blue

It's Boris on 17:07 - Jul 24 by monmouth

Fair do’s Bluey, even for you, you’ve gone tonto. Are you off your meds?

Correcting his incorrect analogy.
It's Boris on 17:17 - Jul 24 with 668 viewsbluey_the_blue

It's Boris on 17:08 - Jul 24 by londonlisa2001

Are you deranged?

What part of ‘boll*cks to brexit’ do you think is unclear?

There is no way Remain would occur without a second referendum.

Lib Dems can use their snappy catchphrase but they know that.
It's Boris on 17:26 - Jul 24 with 652 viewsmonmouth

It's Boris on 17:14 - Jul 24 by Batterseajack

So Liam Fox has quit. As someone who campaigned for Brexit, how come he didn't want to work under Boris Johnson? His job is to get us all these new trade deals that were to replace and be better than the ones we already had. His job is far from over.

What a sh!thouse

He was sacked. Because Johnson was the only person in the UK that knew less about how trade deals worked than him, and he corrected him.

What a pit of vipers we have.

Greg Clark also sacked. Shame. That’s the end of audit and FRC reform then probably.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024