Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Moving Home late in life 11:41 - Aug 29 with 3372 viewsperchrockjack

Serious point here and God help anyone derailing; misus is "thinking" of moving and utilising our life savings to move to a Bungalow inland (Wirral) right in the middle of the countryside.Downside is the fact that there is little there walkable,ie,pub,chemist,doctor;it is also miles away from Merseyrail for Liverpool visits and I hate buses ,which are the alternative.

Biggest problem I have is uprooting from a very happy home to a "snooty" but beautiful part of the world that will see us with less friendly neighbours. That said,there is a cottage not too far away that has no neighbours within 400 yards. When you get old, you need support and I am not sure I want to live in a truly sleepy milieu.

North East Wales is cheaper but far more remote and when you face an emergency you are better off near facilities.

Any sensible replies welcomed.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Moving Home late in life on 20:47 - Aug 29 with 816 viewsTNT

Moving Home late in life on 13:47 - Aug 29 by perchrockjack

Appreciate the replies.

We spent much of Jne in rural France in glorious ,painful isolation.

I have a chum who runs a campsite in Trawsfynydd and we are staggered at how little is there but for his punters,it is the attraction.

We do not know how long we have left ,do we.

When I m gone, you re gonna miss me when I'm gone

It's life, Perch. Nobody gets out alive.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Moving Home late in life on 20:51 - Aug 29 with 804 viewsperchrockjack

Fair point but it s nice to help people.

I was being reflective

Moving Home late in life on 21:10 - Aug 29 with 777 viewsmonmouth

Moving Home late in life on 20:41 - Aug 29 by perchrockjack

What is Monmouth town like to live in.Been through there many times and looks beautiful but its too far from the sea and a big city .

It’s a really nice little town and pretty easy access to Bristol and Cardiff. I don’t live in the town and am closer to Bristol. The Wye is beautifully blue there and loads of countryside walks. I miss the sea though.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Moving Home late in life on 21:12 - Aug 29 with 769 viewsmajorraglan

We live in a small village about 3 miles out of town and use our cars to commute to work. It’s a nice quite place to live, but the village pub has closed and we no longer have a focal point for the village. The council have recently built a footpath which connects us with the town and that’s made a big difference as we can now walk places, before that it was a case of bus, taxi, car or being marooned in the village.

Lots of people move later in life to quieter places, but quite often they end up being away from their family, isolated and reliant on taxis etc as they can’t get about.
Moving Home late in life on 21:14 - Aug 29 with 762 viewsTNT

Moving Home late in life on 21:12 - Aug 29 by majorraglan

We live in a small village about 3 miles out of town and use our cars to commute to work. It’s a nice quite place to live, but the village pub has closed and we no longer have a focal point for the village. The council have recently built a footpath which connects us with the town and that’s made a big difference as we can now walk places, before that it was a case of bus, taxi, car or being marooned in the village.

Lots of people move later in life to quieter places, but quite often they end up being away from their family, isolated and reliant on taxis etc as they can’t get about.

It sounds idyllic, but for how long?

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Moving Home late in life on 21:34 - Aug 29 with 728 viewsNortbankboy

Move to swansea.
There are lots of folk from Liverpool down here selling things
Moving Home late in life on 21:36 - Aug 29 with 721 viewsDarran

Moving Home late in life on 21:34 - Aug 29 by Nortbankboy

Move to swansea.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Moving Home late in life on 21:51 - Aug 29 with 711 viewsperchrockjack

Moving Home late in life on 20:45 - Aug 29 by Professor

Whereabouts? Sounds like Storeton sort of area. You have a lovely house and a great location up there. I would only move to West Kirby from here.

Rather not be too specific Paul as this site is not safe so these days I am far more circumspect.
There is a house in Little Neston on sale in a Heswall agency.Tempting but not keen on Neston folk. No offence obviously.

Login to get fewer ads

Moving Home late in life on 21:57 - Aug 29 with 707 viewsPhil_S

Moving Home late in life on 17:37 - Aug 29 by monmouth

These are still terrible value unless they have changed out of all recognition. Equity release is the next but one misselling scandal in my view, after university degrees and student loans.

I’m luckier than Perch in that my missus also wants to move, but not to the Wirral, and not to a bungalow (‘you lose mobility if you don’t climb stairs’ apparently). She wants the far more delightful trappings of Mumbles/Norton. I’d have to give up work though, and I don’t want to. I also like it round here.

I’d stick with the proven good neighbours and quiet secure location myself. Oh and a surgery where you can get appointments and some shops close by. Plus a bus route, hate it or not, when you can’t drive you might need it. I suppose you can get taxis but I hate taxi drivers even more than getting buses.

Totally disagree, they are becoming a valued part of retirement planning and - for the right people - absolutely the right thing

There will always be a stigma with them because of previous mis-selling but I know plenty with them and they are very good value.

But again I add to that in the right hands and with the right advice. From qualified individuals not the "man in the pub" which so many like to rely on for financial advice.
Moving Home late in life on 22:00 - Aug 29 with 703 viewsPhil_S

On a side note I plan (and hope) to only ever move once more in life.

We have been here 17 years, it was purchased to be a family home and has been that. As the girls get older (they are 15 and 14 right now) and move onto maybe university or move out to build their own families we will move, downsize slightly and take the equity that is in the house as part of my overall retirement planning
Moving Home late in life on 22:04 - Aug 29 with 698 viewsFieryJack

What the hell is wrong with buses?

Is it because oiks like me use them?

Appalling and unacceptable snobbery.
Moving Home late in life on 22:05 - Aug 29 with 693 viewsDarran

There’s a nice bungalow for sale in our close. 👀

Moving Home late in life on 22:11 - Aug 29 with 692 viewslonglostjack

The closer you are to community services and a hospital when you get older the better.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Moving Home late in life on 22:25 - Aug 29 with 680 viewsProfessor

Moving Home late in life on 21:51 - Aug 29 by perchrockjack

Rather not be too specific Paul as this site is not safe so these days I am far more circumspect.
There is a house in Little Neston on sale in a Heswall agency.Tempting but not keen on Neston folk. No offence obviously.

None taken. Years of inbreeding has taken a toll down on the marshes. Only have to see Ladies Day to realise that. Little Neston is more outsiders, though the town is now the cafe capital of Cheshire West.
Moving Home late in life on 09:46 - Aug 30 with 564 viewsperchrockjack

Moving Home late in life on 21:34 - Aug 29 by Nortbankboy

Move to swansea.

Liverpool being an old massive trading city;slaves,cotton,wine,sugar etc,has always had traders.

Clearly there is big demand for drugs in Swansea /Neath.

Frankly, instead of revisiting old scouse hate ,I d worry about why Swansea Bay has such a drug problem,which it had in the 70s and 80s.

Moving on

Moving Home late in life on 19:17 - Aug 30 with 498 viewsN_T_J

Moving Home late in life on 09:46 - Aug 30 by perchrockjack

Liverpool being an old massive trading city;slaves,cotton,wine,sugar etc,has always had traders.

Clearly there is big demand for drugs in Swansea /Neath.

Frankly, instead of revisiting old scouse hate ,I d worry about why Swansea Bay has such a drug problem,which it had in the 70s and 80s.

Moving on

"Clearly there is big demand for drugs in Swansea /Neath. "

Liverpool IMO is full of smackheads, they are doing all the cars over at Creamfields just to fund their habits.
Moving Home late in life on 19:20 - Aug 30 with 494 viewsDarran

Moving Home late in life on 19:17 - Aug 30 by N_T_J

"Clearly there is big demand for drugs in Swansea /Neath. "

Liverpool IMO is full of smackheads, they are doing all the cars over at Creamfields just to fund their habits.

Ignore the scummy ćunt C.
He started a thread about trolling earlier. Nobody had mentioned Neath. Why did he mention Neath?
Pure scum.

Moving Home late in life on 19:43 - Aug 30 with 482 viewslondonlisa2001

Moving Home late in life on 21:57 - Aug 29 by Phil_S

Totally disagree, they are becoming a valued part of retirement planning and - for the right people - absolutely the right thing

There will always be a stigma with them because of previous mis-selling but I know plenty with them and they are very good value.

But again I add to that in the right hands and with the right advice. From qualified individuals not the "man in the pub" which so many like to rely on for financial advice.

Funnily enough, I used to have the same idea of their value as Monny, but in my most recent conversation with the person I use for financial planning, he said exactly the same as you.
Moving Home late in life on 19:56 - Aug 30 with 463 viewsDarran

Moving Home late in life on 19:43 - Aug 30 by londonlisa2001

Funnily enough, I used to have the same idea of their value as Monny, but in my most recent conversation with the person I use for financial planning, he said exactly the same as you.

You take advice off someone? So you don’t know everything then? 😮

Moving Home late in life on 19:59 - Aug 30 with 459 viewsexiledclaseboy

I’ve no intention of moving again. It’s a horrendous experience. We’ve got everything we need here.

Poll: Tory leader

Moving Home late in life on 20:03 - Aug 30 with 450 viewslondonlisa2001

Moving Home late in life on 19:56 - Aug 30 by Darran

You take advice off someone? So you don’t know everything then? 😮

Nope. Just loads more than you.
Moving Home late in life on 20:23 - Aug 30 with 432 viewsperchrockjack

This thread has morphed somewhat.Why was that /

Are people saying Swansea /Neath doesnt have a drug issue. All towns and cities have .ALL.
Liverpool/Manchester.Brum,London,Bristol,Belfast all significant drug supplying gangs.

Fact.

Swansea is no idyll.Its my hometown that has sadly seen better days.Fact.

When the feck are the Mods on here going to start sorting out the obvious children on here.

There are some fine posters on here ;fine people.

Doesnt take much to pollute a river.

Best advice NTJ.Stay in whatever idyll you live and shout at the nastiness in other places

Moving Home late in life on 20:33 - Aug 30 with 413 viewsbuilthjack

You can't go far wrong with my part of the world

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Moving Home late in life on 20:37 - Aug 30 with 400 viewsperchrockjack

Ken.I am glad you are obviously happy there .For us,too rural.We are lucky to have large cities within and hour and also the joys of north Wales of which there are many. We can be half way up Moel Famau or Manchester within the hour.

I am grateful for the comments from some posters on here and monny makes an excellent point.

After holiday,think we will be looking at developing our current home.Its up in the air though and we will not always be able bodied as we are now,if we are here at all.

Moving Home late in life on 20:42 - Aug 30 with 389 viewsmonmouth

Moving Home late in life on 19:43 - Aug 30 by londonlisa2001

Surprised me. I always thought, given all the money stuck in property there might be a fairer product invented to replace that equity release rip off, but didn't realise that any progress had actually been made. I'll have to research it now (rolls eyes).

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024