Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer 18:40 - Jan 26 with 867 viewsdickythorpe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51236375
"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 18:46 - Jan 26 with 850 viewsjack2jack

Madness, hardshoulders are there for a reason, to use them for another purpose is daft. The accident statistics tell you all you need to know.
That family are lucky to be alive.
"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 19:00 - Jan 26 with 829 viewsmonmouth

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 18:46 - Jan 26 by jack2jack

Madness, hardshoulders are there for a reason, to use them for another purpose is daft. The accident statistics tell you all you need to know.

Ok, needs review, but it doesn’t say how many if any or all of the 38 deaths were because it was amart motorway or not,and what the cause was, or simply ‘routine’ motorway deaths. Still remember the bbc saying that running more than 30 miles a week was bad for you because of mortality rates. Turns out none of their sample died because of running or while running.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 19:08 - Jan 26 with 818 viewsjack2jack

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 19:00 - Jan 26 by monmouth

Ok, needs review, but it doesn’t say how many if any or all of the 38 deaths were because it was amart motorway or not,and what the cause was, or simply ‘routine’ motorway deaths. Still remember the bbc saying that running more than 30 miles a week was bad for you because of mortality rates. Turns out none of their sample died because of running or while running.

I still don't like the idea. Chances are if your on the hardshoulder and not in a running lane, you'd be out of harm's way.
The motorways in some areas are running over capacity, due to the increase in vehicles, they needs investment, and or viable alternatives.
"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 21:04 - Jan 26 with 719 viewsCooperman

I also have a gut feeling that they actually cause congestion rather than ease it; too many motorists brake sharply before passing beneath the gantry which causes the ripple effect for many cars back with the net effect being traffic at a standstill half a mile back down the road.

A special shout as well for that tw@t's that run the matrix signs - a complete waste of investment as they are not used effectively to warn of impending incident, congestion, etc. I more often than not find that the information displayed is incorrect or simply not there in the first place. To date I have been unsuccessful in being able to draw Highways England and the Welsh equivalent into a Twitter war of words over this topic.

And my rant would not be complete without a mention for those guys who fill the role of traffic officer on the motorways. Give someone a hi-vis and a flashing light and he thinks he's the next star of Police, Camera, Action. I have seen very little benefit from their presence on the motorways and again they are a cause of congestion as motorists perceive them to be police officers armed with speed guns which in turn causes sharp breaking, congestion and no doubt an accident or two along the way.

All of the above is just part of the reason why it's much nicer and convenient to let the train take the strain. The M4 to London is an abomination.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 21:20 - Jan 26 with 700 viewsCatullus

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 21:04 - Jan 26 by Cooperman

I also have a gut feeling that they actually cause congestion rather than ease it; too many motorists brake sharply before passing beneath the gantry which causes the ripple effect for many cars back with the net effect being traffic at a standstill half a mile back down the road.

A special shout as well for that tw@t's that run the matrix signs - a complete waste of investment as they are not used effectively to warn of impending incident, congestion, etc. I more often than not find that the information displayed is incorrect or simply not there in the first place. To date I have been unsuccessful in being able to draw Highways England and the Welsh equivalent into a Twitter war of words over this topic.

And my rant would not be complete without a mention for those guys who fill the role of traffic officer on the motorways. Give someone a hi-vis and a flashing light and he thinks he's the next star of Police, Camera, Action. I have seen very little benefit from their presence on the motorways and again they are a cause of congestion as motorists perceive them to be police officers armed with speed guns which in turn causes sharp breaking, congestion and no doubt an accident or two along the way.

All of the above is just part of the reason why it's much nicer and convenient to let the train take the strain. The M4 to London is an abomination.

I often see the warning signs set to 50mph because of accident, congestion and/or road conditions yet when I egt onto the motorway and am doing 50-55 cars are flying past me. Usually the sign is well out of date and whatever was the cause of the speed being lowered was hours before and long since cleared.
Of course every now and again a driver ignoring the slow down has a prang!

I watched a programme about smart motorways with an RAC fella who was saying they aren't that smart, aren't that safe and people have died.
Our motorways are generally 30 years behind, the trains are well behind too despite very high prices.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 21:32 - Jan 26 with 678 viewsCooperman

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 21:20 - Jan 26 by Catullus

I often see the warning signs set to 50mph because of accident, congestion and/or road conditions yet when I egt onto the motorway and am doing 50-55 cars are flying past me. Usually the sign is well out of date and whatever was the cause of the speed being lowered was hours before and long since cleared.
Of course every now and again a driver ignoring the slow down has a prang!

I watched a programme about smart motorways with an RAC fella who was saying they aren't that smart, aren't that safe and people have died.
Our motorways are generally 30 years behind, the trains are well behind too despite very high prices.

I know we've sort of done train fares to death on the other thread but I think it's worth mentioning that I will be on the 07:57 Llanelli to Paddington tomorrow; only booked on Friday and cost me £52. That's probably cash neutral when compared to driving the journey.

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 21:38 - Jan 26 with 670 viewsCatullus

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 21:32 - Jan 26 by Cooperman

I know we've sort of done train fares to death on the other thread but I think it's worth mentioning that I will be on the 07:57 Llanelli to Paddington tomorrow; only booked on Friday and cost me £52. That's probably cash neutral when compared to driving the journey.

You can get some very good prices when booked far enough in advance but it's season tickets that costa fortune and then there's the delays, cancellations and accidents.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 21:40 - Jan 26 with 663 viewsexiledclaseboy

They’ve shortened the journey time from Swansea to Paddington now which just means that your delay starts about 10 minutes earlier than it used to.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 23:03 - Jan 26 with 612 viewsmajorraglan

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 18:46 - Jan 26 by jack2jack

Agreed. Someone had a bright idea that we could squeeze extra capacity on to the motorway without having to spend any money instead of investing in our infrastructure. When smart motorways were initially trialled there were lay-by’s every 600m, on some stretches of road the lay-bys are over 2.5km away.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/26/uks-smart-motorways-to-be-revie

The story in the BBC article about the grandfather breaking down and his car being hit by a lorry 45 seconds later should be enough for everyone to realise thy aren’t safe.
"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 06:11 - Jan 27 with 540 viewsCooperman

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 23:03 - Jan 26 by majorraglan

Agreed. Someone had a bright idea that we could squeeze extra capacity on to the motorway without having to spend any money instead of investing in our infrastructure. When smart motorways were initially trialled there were lay-by’s every 600m, on some stretches of road the lay-bys are over 2.5km away.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/26/uks-smart-motorways-to-be-revie

The story in the BBC article about the grandfather breaking down and his car being hit by a lorry 45 seconds later should be enough for everyone to realise thy aren’t safe.

I don’t think you can say that installation of smart motorways don’t cost any money. Have you seen the work going on between Reading and Heathrow? I dread to think what that is costing the UK tax payer. My issue is with the design concept rather than the investment level.

1. Get rid off gantry speed cameras which cause sharp braking and replace with average speed cameras.
2. Increase the frequency of emergency lay-by areas.
3. Increase utilisation of matrix signs.

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 08:04 - Jan 27 with 471 viewsmajorraglan

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 06:11 - Jan 27 by Cooperman

I don’t think you can say that installation of smart motorways don’t cost any money. Have you seen the work going on between Reading and Heathrow? I dread to think what that is costing the UK tax payer. My issue is with the design concept rather than the investment level.

1. Get rid off gantry speed cameras which cause sharp braking and replace with average speed cameras.
2. Increase the frequency of emergency lay-by areas.
3. Increase utilisation of matrix signs.

Fair point. The spending any money was a throw away comment, what I should have said was relatively little money in comparison to what an effective solution i.e. a road widening project would have cost.
"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 08:21 - Jan 27 with 460 viewsCooperman

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 08:04 - Jan 27 by majorraglan

Fair point. The spending any money was a throw away comment, what I should have said was relatively little money in comparison to what an effective solution i.e. a road widening project would have cost.

Road widening isn’t a cost effective option due to the sheer number of restrictions that need to be overcome. For example the vast majority of bridges would need to be reconstructed. The more cost effective option is to rationalise the current available space.

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 08:59 - Jan 27 with 433 viewsAlfieMooresSon

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 19:00 - Jan 26 by monmouth

Just build more regular pull in's for breakdowns?

I think the average speed camera's set at 70 on every motorway would solve the problem and minimum speed camera's at as high as they could possibly make them 60 if not 50 so that everything is moving at similar speeds?

I expect that will happen with new electric cars in the next ten years anyway they will virtually drive themselves.
"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 09:01 - Jan 27 with 431 viewsAlfieMooresSon

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 08:59 - Jan 27 by AlfieMooresSon

Just build more regular pull in's for breakdowns?

I think the average speed camera's set at 70 on every motorway would solve the problem and minimum speed camera's at as high as they could possibly make them 60 if not 50 so that everything is moving at similar speeds?

I expect that will happen with new electric cars in the next ten years anyway they will virtually drive themselves.

50 to 60 inside lane, 60 to 65 middle lane 65 to 70 overtaking lane.
"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 12:51 - Jan 27 with 379 viewsVincent_Vega

"Smart motorways" - what a misnomer on 09:01 - Jan 27 by AlfieMooresSon

50 to 60 inside lane, 60 to 65 middle lane 65 to 70 overtaking lane.

While I see your logic I would say if you put a minimum speed limit say 50mph. HGV's and cars towing can only go 60 so if the weather or conditions suddenly change they would be more reluctant to lower their speed through fear of being caught which isn't right.

The crux of the matter is 2 fold. 1 there's too much traffic on the road. 2 there's not enough road. Until measures come in to tackle both of these then it's only going to get worse and more people will get hurt or worse.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024