Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! 20:21 - Jan 30 with 1589 viewsdickythorpe

These fecking buzz words must give all the nerds a stiffy!!
25 years ago it was "SWAT" or "PEST" analysis.

It's waffle and bull shít!!!!

My mate applied for a job with Transport for Wales and got back an email saying he was unsuccessful but he should try adopting the "STAR" method.
It only asked for a Personal statement.
Then when he got a receipt of his application what he'd written under "Personal Statement" had changed to "Reasons for applying"......fúcking ridiculous as I reckon you'd write something completely different for both.

All this in the week the chief executive of Transport for Wales , James Price said "he could do better"

What a shít ride we are in for!!!
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 20:37]
"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! on 21:59 - Jan 30 with 1518 viewsmonmouth

Dick, mun, I was interviewed using 'STARs' in 1994. It might be shit, but it's old shit. You can beat it by using my trademarked technique.

Waffle
Anecdotes
Name dropping
Killer jokes

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! on 22:05 - Jan 30 with 1500 viewsLuther27

STAR is the reason why you get people in positions who can bullshte but can't do what they were employed to do. How far up the food chain do you go regarding this I wonder.
(No subject) on 22:10 - Jan 30 with 1490 viewsjack247

Star is Situation, Task, Action, Result I think.

It’s broadly how you would answer a ‘tell me about a time you did x’ question.

This was what was wrong
This is what needed to happen
This is what I did
This was the result.

Could quite easily apply it to a manager making subs to change a game, changing tactics etc.

If you answer that kind of question thoroughly (as in the overblown, wordy while still trying to be concise way you would in a job interview) you’re probably going to tick all the star boxes whether you try to or not.
(No subject) on 22:26 - Jan 30 with 1468 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

This is based on a questioning techniques developed by law enforcement agencies designed to get to the facts when dealing with suspects. Unfortunately the process has become more important than the purpose.

I have had a few arguments with HR Managers when I have interviewed good candidates with good evidence of expertise who don't follow the STAR model!

The original work to develop these techniques is very interesting and has good validity and reliability. It is a shame it has got a bit lost in business.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 22:41]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! on 22:35 - Jan 30 with 1453 viewsSwanDownUnder

its pretty basic
"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! on 22:37 - Jan 30 with 1446 viewsSwanDownUnder

the job centre can help you with interview techniques.
"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! on 06:30 - Jan 31 with 1360 viewsdickythorpe

"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! on 22:35 - Jan 30 by SwanDownUnder

its pretty basic

Exactly, it just attracts Wafflers not necessarily the best person for the job practically.
"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! on 07:43 - Jan 31 with 1325 viewsdameedna

I dont follow it. For Bow Locks jobs.
Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) on 12:27 - Jan 31 with 1288 viewsjack247

"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! on 06:30 - Jan 31 by dickythorpe

Exactly, it just attracts Wafflers not necessarily the best person for the job practically.

To be honest, no. It attracts people who demonstrate the ability to carry out simple tasks, i.e. answer questions in the way the interviewer wants them answered.

If someone has been marked down for not answering in a certain way, the requirement to do so would have been set out before the interview.
(No subject) on 13:17 - Jan 31 with 1257 viewsdickythorpe

(No subject) on 12:27 - Jan 31 by jack247

To be honest, no. It attracts people who demonstrate the ability to carry out simple tasks, i.e. answer questions in the way the interviewer wants them answered.

If someone has been marked down for not answering in a certain way, the requirement to do so would have been set out before the interview.

I disagree and it wasn't set out, and this is what highlights the shambles that is Transport for Wales, poor communication off and on the tracks.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 13:19]
(No subject) on 13:27 - Jan 31 with 1245 viewsjack247

(No subject) on 13:17 - Jan 31 by dickythorpe

I disagree and it wasn't set out, and this is what highlights the shambles that is Transport for Wales, poor communication off and on the tracks.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 13:19]

Fair enough. Doesn’t sound like he was unsuccessful because he didn’t answer in the format they wanted then. They’ve just provided feedback that may help with future interviews.
"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! on 14:31 - Jan 31 with 1215 viewsBryanSwan

All interviews nowadays are a load of rubbish, is more about fitting the tick box system than being suitable for the job.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! on 14:36 - Jan 31 with 1205 viewsmonmouth

"STAR" analysis , job interview nonsense!! on 14:31 - Jan 31 by BryanSwan

All interviews nowadays are a load of rubbish, is more about fitting the tick box system than being suitable for the job.

I bet S Cooper has fantastic STARs, all presented bootifly in powerpoint.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024