Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best high street in the UK is...... 16:50 - Jan 23 with 5984 viewsProfessor

Treorchy. The town I grew up in. Well deserved and bucking a trend of South Wales decay.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 17:11 - Jan 23 with 3302 viewsLohengrin

A winner by virtue of what, Prof? The amount and variety of independent traders?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 17:24 - Jan 23 with 3294 viewsProfessor

Best high street in the UK is...... on 17:11 - Jan 23 by Lohengrin

A winner by virtue of what, Prof? The amount and variety of independent traders?

I guess so. A combination of a judging panel and a public vote I believe. Swansea and Narberth were other contenders. Certainly the strength Treorchy has, is a large number of independents. Never had chains like Woolworths that nearby tonypandy and Porth had and of course lost. Does not have a large supermarket (Lidl, Iceland and co-op). Far enough from cities an out-of-towns to allow independents to thrive I think.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 17:35 - Jan 23 with 3274 viewsLohengrin

Best high street in the UK is...... on 17:24 - Jan 23 by Professor

I guess so. A combination of a judging panel and a public vote I believe. Swansea and Narberth were other contenders. Certainly the strength Treorchy has, is a large number of independents. Never had chains like Woolworths that nearby tonypandy and Porth had and of course lost. Does not have a large supermarket (Lidl, Iceland and co-op). Far enough from cities an out-of-towns to allow independents to thrive I think.

Well done Treorchy.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 17:47 - Jan 23 with 3258 viewsSPboy

Well done Treorchy, though if it was in competition with Swansea then we should say no more.

I cycled through Treorchy last summer, bit of a time warp really. Couple of good old fashioned coffee stops there though
Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:09 - Jan 23 with 3236 viewstaffpunk

Fantastic news, but I think it shows how poor the other finalists were, rather than the actual quality of Treorchy's high street. I know several Shop owners in the town that are on the brink of closure, hopefully this award will encourage more people to go there.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:18 - Jan 23 with 3216 viewsmonmouth

Monmouth is decent and well populated as it is right on the river and has Waitrose and some decent pubs.. Chepstow is struggling with lots of closures.

Can't really see how many high streets can avoid becoming simply residential, given out of town, internet, and banks and po's 'rationalising' branches.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:35 - Jan 23 with 3201 viewslonglostjack

Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:18 - Jan 23 by monmouth

Monmouth is decent and well populated as it is right on the river and has Waitrose and some decent pubs.. Chepstow is struggling with lots of closures.

Can't really see how many high streets can avoid becoming simply residential, given out of town, internet, and banks and po's 'rationalising' branches.

The traffic spoils Monmouth. Not sure how they can fix it. Misbah good though and a very decent Weatherspoons.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Best high street in the UK is...... on 19:02 - Jan 23 with 3179 viewscmajack

Best high street in the UK is...... on 17:35 - Jan 23 by Lohengrin

Well done Treorchy.

Yes, well done treorchy.
Login to get fewer ads

Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:07 - Jan 23 with 3123 viewsmonmouth

Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:35 - Jan 23 by longlostjack

The traffic spoils Monmouth. Not sure how they can fix it. Misbah good though and a very decent Weatherspoons.

Park round the back (towards rockfield) and walk over the pedestrian bridge, or by the rowing club and walk across Chippy fields. But yeah, lots of pinch points if you’re driving into the town, and it makes the pavements a bit of bumper cars sometimes.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:22 - Jan 23 with 3106 viewsexiledclaseboy

“The town in which I grew up”.

Professor indeed.

Poll: Tory leader

Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:28 - Jan 23 with 3088 viewsmonmouth

Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:22 - Jan 23 by exiledclaseboy

“The town in which I grew up”.

Professor indeed.

Isn't a professor in those parts someone who wears glasses?

Best high street in the UK is...... on 23:56 - Jan 23 with 3035 viewsLeonWasGod

Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:07 - Jan 23 by monmouth

Park round the back (towards rockfield) and walk over the pedestrian bridge, or by the rowing club and walk across Chippy fields. But yeah, lots of pinch points if you’re driving into the town, and it makes the pavements a bit of bumper cars sometimes.

I ike Monmouth. I'm a big fan of the smaller market towns - Camarthen, Monmouth, Hay (ok wrong country but it's close), Llangollen, Denbeigh, Ruthin, Mold at a push, Aber, Betws. We've got some lovely little towns, and anywhere I can get into and out of again in under an hour is good by me.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 07:36 - Jan 24 with 2956 viewstaffpunk

Best high street in the UK is...... on 23:56 - Jan 23 by LeonWasGod

I ike Monmouth. I'm a big fan of the smaller market towns - Camarthen, Monmouth, Hay (ok wrong country but it's close), Llangollen, Denbeigh, Ruthin, Mold at a push, Aber, Betws. We've got some lovely little towns, and anywhere I can get into and out of again in under an hour is good by me.

'Hay-wrong country'. It's in Wales isn't it?

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 08:15 - Jan 24 with 2943 viewsnantywatcher

Best high street in the UK is...... on 23:56 - Jan 23 by LeonWasGod

Add Bala to that list.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 09:51 - Jan 24 with 2915 viewsTreorchyjack

Professor, I thought you were from Cwmparc? ;-)
Best high street in the UK is...... on 09:53 - Jan 24 with 2911 viewsdickythorpe

If I took a spin to Treorchy, where can I park for free and where can I get a good breakfast and coffee?
Plus what pub is pleasant to have an undisturbed pint whilst I read paper?
Many thanks
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 9:54]
Best high street in the UK is...... on 10:10 - Jan 24 with 2901 viewsProfessor

Best high street in the UK is...... on 09:51 - Jan 24 by Treorchyjack

Professor, I thought you were from Cwmparc? ;-)

I am-but Treorchy is the postal town. And I went to Treorchy Comp- although it was still URCS when I started in 1979. I was born in Neath and lived in Cimla until I was 8.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 10:22 - Jan 24 with 2897 viewsLohengrin

Best high street in the UK is...... on 07:36 - Jan 24 by taffpunk

Most of it is but it straddles the border, Taff. As you head through the centre and down past the Three Tuns on Newport Street England begins just before the NFU offices.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 10:25 - Jan 24 with 2893 viewslifelong

Best high street in the UK is...... on 10:22 - Jan 24 by Lohengrin

Most of it is but it straddles the border, Taff. As you head through the centre and down past the Three Tuns on Newport Street England begins just before the NFU offices.

My father was born in Hay, on the correct side of the line.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 10:37 - Jan 24 with 2887 viewsLohengrin

Best high street in the UK is...... on 10:25 - Jan 24 by lifelong

Have you still got family there?

Best high street in the UK is...... on 10:46 - Jan 24 with 2879 viewslifelong

Best high street in the UK is...... on 10:37 - Jan 24 by Lohengrin

Have you still got family there?

Yes, my father was the youngest of 7 boys, he was born in 1907 moved to the Swansea area when he was 16. Huge football family, 2 of his brothers played for the army. 4 of them served in the army, 2 in India and the other 2 out in France and Belgium during the First World War.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 10:59 - Jan 24 with 2864 viewsLohengrin

Best high street in the UK is...... on 10:46 - Jan 24 by lifelong

Yes, my father was the youngest of 7 boys, he was born in 1907 moved to the Swansea area when he was 16. Huge football family, 2 of his brothers played for the army. 4 of them served in the army, 2 in India and the other 2 out in France and Belgium during the First World War.

Great stuff. Sport is a huge thing in the forces, if you excel you get out of all sorts of shitty duties.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 11:49 - Jan 24 with 2845 viewslonglostjack

Best high street in the UK is...... on 10:25 - Jan 24 by lifelong

Nice run from Skirrid Inn to Hay over the top. Llantony Show in first week of August is a must.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Best high street in the UK is...... on 12:57 - Jan 24 with 2829 viewsLeonWasGod

Best high street in the UK is...... on 07:36 - Jan 24 by taffpunk

Lol, I'm such a muppet .

Of course it is. Well, most of it is. All a bit funny round that way with the interbreeding across the border and the like.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 13:18 - Jan 24 with 2810 viewsLohengrin

Best high street in the UK is...... on 11:49 - Jan 24 by longlostjack

Nice run from Skirrid Inn to Hay over the top. Llantony Show in first week of August is a must.

From the Skirrid at Llanfihangel Crucorney to Llanthony then on through to Capel-Y-Ffin, head up and over the Gospel Pass before dropping down to Hay. On a bright, clear day it’s a stunning drive.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024