Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oil prices 13:27 - Apr 2 with 1588 viewsCatullus

What is going on with oil, is it only a Saudi v Russia trade war or is there something else going on? Shell are concerned, is it an attack on western economies,

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/31/oil-prices-trump-putin-saudi-ar

The Saudis are set to ramp up oil production pushing prices even lower at a time of vastly reduced demand.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Oil prices on 13:48 - Apr 2 with 1569 viewsWarwickHunt

The massive fall in demand could be a factor. Call it a hunch.
Oil prices on 13:51 - Apr 2 with 1566 viewsbuilthjack

Saudi v Russia oil war is the main thing that has brought oil crashing

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Oil prices on 14:04 - Apr 2 with 1546 viewsCatullus

Oil prices on 13:48 - Apr 2 by WarwickHunt

The massive fall in demand could be a factor. Call it a hunch.

The fall in demand is why the Saudis are increasing production? Obviously Covid is why there's a fall in demand but did you read the rest of the post or just reply to the poster?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Oil prices on 14:09 - Apr 2 with 1536 viewsbuilthjack

Oil prices on 14:04 - Apr 2 by Catullus

The fall in demand is why the Saudis are increasing production? Obviously Covid is why there's a fall in demand but did you read the rest of the post or just reply to the poster?

I didn't read the above no. I do know that a few months ago Saudi wanted to slow production down, and asked Russianto do the same. Russia went on the attack, Saudi responded by dropping the price, and the result is the low prices that we are now seeing. It was nothing to do with coronavirus. It's been going on for months. It takes time for the drops to show at the pumps.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Oil prices on 14:19 - Apr 2 with 1520 viewsCatullus

Oil prices on 14:09 - Apr 2 by builthjack

I didn't read the above no. I do know that a few months ago Saudi wanted to slow production down, and asked Russianto do the same. Russia went on the attack, Saudi responded by dropping the price, and the result is the low prices that we are now seeing. It was nothing to do with coronavirus. It's been going on for months. It takes time for the drops to show at the pumps.

My reply wasn't to you so don't be miffed

Yes I know there's been an argument between Russia and Saudi but still, why are they increasing production during a massive slump in demand? It'll drive prices lower and put companies out of business. Is it to damage the Russian oil industry?

I'm just very suspicious of the Saudis (the people in control anyway) as they are selfish, greedy ideological driven and dangerous.

Oil prices on 15:28 - Apr 2 with 1459 viewsPozuelosSideys

Russia is in a bit of a transitional period at the moment. The sanctions they have been under for a while have limited the trading they can do internationally and therefore put them under pressure financially. Their response has been to pay down national debt at the expense of investment and growth and try and clear the decks and cut internal costs (effectively austerity). Given that one of, if not the main source of income currently is their oil, the Saudi's are putting the pressure on the Russian Government as less oil trade = less income = more pressure on Government and limits options.

The other main reason is that they are after a bigger market share. If you flood the market with a cheap product then it becomes very difficult to sell. The Saudi's can take a bigger cashflow hit than the Russians due to the above. Tank the Russian infrastructure, put suppliers out of business, then pick up the mess by turning the taps off when youre ready and make a killing. Then watch your increased market share go up quickly in value.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 15:29]

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Oil prices on 17:13 - Apr 2 with 1368 viewsCatullus

Oil prices on 15:28 - Apr 2 by PozuelosSideys

Russia is in a bit of a transitional period at the moment. The sanctions they have been under for a while have limited the trading they can do internationally and therefore put them under pressure financially. Their response has been to pay down national debt at the expense of investment and growth and try and clear the decks and cut internal costs (effectively austerity). Given that one of, if not the main source of income currently is their oil, the Saudi's are putting the pressure on the Russian Government as less oil trade = less income = more pressure on Government and limits options.

The other main reason is that they are after a bigger market share. If you flood the market with a cheap product then it becomes very difficult to sell. The Saudi's can take a bigger cashflow hit than the Russians due to the above. Tank the Russian infrastructure, put suppliers out of business, then pick up the mess by turning the taps off when youre ready and make a killing. Then watch your increased market share go up quickly in value.

That makes perfect sense but at the same time as hitting the Russians it will hit a lot of Western companies, hence the question. Are the Saudis looking to strike on two fronts whilst the iron is hot?

Petrol/diesel is likely to drop below £1 per litre soon. Not that I'll be using any.

Oil prices on 17:33 - Apr 2 with 1338 viewsWarwickHunt

Oil prices on 15:28 - Apr 2 by PozuelosSideys

This.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-oil-crash-will-saudi-arabias-big-oil
Login to get fewer ads

Oil prices on 17:47 - Apr 2 with 1320 viewsFireboy2

Oil prices on 17:13 - Apr 2 by Catullus

That makes perfect sense but at the same time as hitting the Russians it will hit a lot of Western companies, hence the question. Are the Saudis looking to strike on two fronts whilst the iron is hot?

Petrol/diesel is likely to drop below £1 per litre soon. Not that I'll be using any.

I will, I do a 250 miles a week so it will help me a great deal.
Oil prices on 18:10 - Apr 2 with 1301 viewsNeath_Jack

I've not read the article, but there was a bit on the wireless about this a week or two ago. What i could gather was that the Saudis and Russians had a bit of a gentlemens agreement with each other, but the Russians went back on it.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Oil prices on 18:20 - Apr 2 with 1290 viewsZaxx

Could they potentially be trying to put the squeeze on the US shale oil industry?
Shale oil is typically a bit more expensive to extract I believe.
Oil prices on 18:22 - Apr 2 with 1288 viewsdickythorpe

Petrol prices had fallen a good 10 days to 14 days before the lockdown
Oil prices on 18:31 - Apr 2 with 1276 viewsBest_loser

Oil prices on 18:20 - Apr 2 by Zaxx

Could they potentially be trying to put the squeeze on the US shale oil industry?
Shale oil is typically a bit more expensive to extract I believe.

40 dollars a barrel to break even
Oil prices on 21:11 - Apr 2 with 1183 viewsbiggar

Crash in demand. Fairly high production level. Combine the two and you have an oil glut and downward pressure on prices.
Oil prices on 22:07 - Apr 2 with 1149 viewsPozuelosSideys

Oil prices on 17:13 - Apr 2 by Catullus

I think its about pounding your competition into the ground. More players in the market = more variable supply and they have to compete with one another. If there are only one or two in the market (temporarily at least), you can control both supply and the price, therefore more power and cash.

The first sentence in that Guardian article is the key one though.. ;)

Theres all sorts of geopolitical willy waving going on behind the scenes with the oil countries as well. Saudi are seeing an opportunist window to double down the pressure of low demand and economic uncertainty due to teh virus by doing this.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 22:10]

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Oil prices on 00:42 - Apr 3 with 1077 viewsNotLoyal

Rumours of stockpiling oil by the USA, I go out this morning for the first time in ages buy bread for two elderly folk opposite and next door and nearly have some cnt in a headlock because he can't control his mouth.
Odd times.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Oil prices on 01:20 - Apr 3 with 1071 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Oil prices on 00:42 - Apr 3 by NotLoyal

Rumours of stockpiling oil by the USA, I go out this morning for the first time in ages buy bread for two elderly folk opposite and next door and nearly have some cnt in a headlock because he can't control his mouth.
Odd times.

What did he say? “ That will be £2 please sir”? Tense times innit 😉

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Oil prices on 07:26 - Apr 3 with 1014 viewsbuilthjack

Oil prices on 00:42 - Apr 3 by NotLoyal

Odd times.

Perhaps you should get a breadmaker

Oil prices on 09:23 - Apr 3 with 940 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Oil prices on 07:26 - Apr 3 by builthjack

Perhaps you should get a breadmaker

There’s f*ck all flour anywhere

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Oil prices on 09:42 - Apr 3 with 924 viewsdickythorpe

Dried Yeast is impossible to source
Oil prices on 09:44 - Apr 3 with 922 viewsbuilthjack

Oil prices on 09:23 - Apr 3 by Brynmill_Jack

There’s f*ck all flour anywhere

Plenty in Tesco if you go at 7am. And yeast.

Oil prices on 09:46 - Apr 3 with 920 viewsdickythorpe

Oil prices on 09:44 - Apr 3 by builthjack

I saw the shelf edge label in Tesco Carmarthen and it says due in April 7th
Oil prices on 09:46 - Apr 3 with 917 viewsdickythorpe

Oil prices on 09:44 - Apr 3 by builthjack

What Tesco is that to?
Oil prices on 10:31 - Apr 3 with 890 viewsbuilthjack

Oil prices on 09:46 - Apr 3 by dickythorpe

What Tesco is that to?

Llandrindod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024