Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holidays? 12:30 - Apr 26 with 14503 viewskarnataka

I was supposed to be flying to Lisbon first thing this morning then driving into the Badajoz area of central Spain for a few days. Got me wondering what sort of plans or major family holidays others on here have had to cancel or reschedule and whether they'd had refunds, vouchers or lost money.
Holidays? on 17:17 - Apr 29 with 1976 viewskarnataka

A little off topic but related to my OP at the top of this thread, last night I watched an episode of Abandoned Engineering which is a particular favourite programme of mine, and one of the places they featured was Quinta de Regaleira in Sintra, Portugal. I was a bit aggrieved watching it as I had a ticket in my bedside table for a guided tour around the place for this very morning before flying back to Bristol from Lisbon about now. Felt like rubbing it in a bit. Will get there next year though I guess.
Holidays? on 17:36 - Apr 29 with 1955 viewspencoedjack

Holidays? on 16:30 - Apr 29 by lifelong

You actually spoke to someone from Tui today?

I’ve been attempting to ring them continually for a month with no joy, on trying today I was put through to an answer phone message saying that there were unable to take the call and to try later.

I rang 0203 451 2688.

Was on hold for about 20 mins.
Holidays? on 18:11 - Apr 29 with 1928 viewslifelong

Holidays? on 17:36 - Apr 29 by pencoedjack

I rang 0203 451 2688.

Was on hold for about 20 mins.

Thanks for that, I’ve rung that number 6 times today, put through to an answer phone message that says that they are unable to take the call and to try later.
Will try it tomorrow..
Holidays? on 18:26 - Apr 29 with 1923 viewspencoedjack

Holidays? on 18:11 - Apr 29 by lifelong

Thanks for that, I’ve rung that number 6 times today, put through to an answer phone message that says that they are unable to take the call and to try later.
Will try it tomorrow..

I didn’t select any of options on the automated part & got through to a helpful customer person
Holidays? on 18:32 - Apr 29 with 1912 viewsperplex

Should have arrived in Corfu four hours ago, but the holiday was obviously cancelled, our refund will be issued early Jun, and I`m fine with that.
Holidays? on 22:58 - Apr 29 with 1854 viewsCooperman

Holidays? on 18:11 - Apr 29 by lifelong

Will try it tomorrow..

Re below what pencoedjack said - a little trick that very often allows you to bypass online queues is to frequently press zero as you hear “press 1 for...”. The automated call centres can’t cope with the ‘human error’ so the call gets forwarded to an agent. Give it a whirl but I can’t promise it will work.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Holidays? on 23:10 - Apr 29 with 1843 viewsowainglyndwr

Holidays? on 09:49 - Apr 29 by lifelong

At the moment with Tui only with holidays due to leave before 30th June.

I've had a email now saying it's cancelled.
I can have a refund or use the money for another holiday up October 31st 2021.
If you go for a future holiday they will add 20% to your funds up to a certain amount.

For example if my holiday was £2000.
They would give you a credit of £2400.
I haven't read all the T&C fully at the moment
Holidays? on 09:01 - Apr 30 with 1755 viewsWhiterockin

Holidays? on 23:10 - Apr 29 by owainglyndwr

If you go for a future holiday they will add 20% to your funds up to a certain amount.

If you do take the credit use it ASAP. The holiday you book will be covered by ABTA your credit may not.
Login to get fewer ads

Holidays? on 09:16 - Apr 30 with 1743 viewsScotia

Holidays? on 23:10 - Apr 29 by owainglyndwr

Before you agree to go for a holdiay next year instead of a refund check how much that holiday would be. The same holiday I should be going on this year is about twice the price next year.
Holidays? on 11:05 - Apr 30 with 1699 viewsJack_Kass

Evident issue is these companies simply do not have the cash flow, to give everyone their money back.

So what can you do? I would cut the loss, and hope for the best.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Holidays? on 11:23 - Apr 30 with 1683 viewsmagicdaps10

Holidays? on 11:05 - Apr 30 by Jack_Kass

Evident issue is these companies simply do not have the cash flow, to give everyone their money back.

So what can you do? I would cut the loss, and hope for the best.

Said in an earlier post, I expect some sort of protection for these companies from the govermant. If you are able to rebook for another date, this is what I done for one of my holidays, that would probably be advised.

Entirely an individuals call of course 😏

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Holidays? on 11:27 - Apr 30 with 1671 viewsWhiterockin

Holidays? on 11:23 - Apr 30 by magicdaps10

Said in an earlier post, I expect some sort of protection for these companies from the govermant. If you are able to rebook for another date, this is what I done for one of my holidays, that would probably be advised.

Entirely an individuals call of course 😏

Holidays are backed by ABTA. Why should the British taxpayer offer protection or bail out a company that is foreign owned.
Holidays? on 11:42 - Apr 30 with 1656 viewsmagicdaps10

Holidays? on 11:27 - Apr 30 by Whiterockin

Holidays are backed by ABTA. Why should the British taxpayer offer protection or bail out a company that is foreign owned.

Ultimately it would fall down to the jobs in the UK.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Holidays? on 11:47 - Apr 30 with 1651 viewsWhiterockin

Holidays? on 11:42 - Apr 30 by magicdaps10

Ultimately it would fall down to the jobs in the UK.

This is true, but British holidays will always be taken when it is safe to do so. One travel company closes another increases business and employs more staff. You can see that recently with the increase of Jet2holidays after the demise of Thomas Cook. It has been going on for years since the days of Freddie Laker and beond.
Holidays? on 15:26 - Apr 30 with 1596 viewskarnataka

Holidays? on 09:16 - Apr 30 by Scotia

Before you agree to go for a holdiay next year instead of a refund check how much that holiday would be. The same holiday I should be going on this year is about twice the price next year.

I always had a feeling this was likely to happen. All sectors of the travel and hospitality industries have already taken a huge financial kicking from this current situation and eventually, those companies that survive are going to try to redress the balance by whacking prices up when things get back towards something approaching normality, whenever that may be. As well as a couple of full refunds, I've already accepted vouchers from Easyjet and KLM for flights I've had to cancel but I have no way of knowing whether or not those vouchers are going to cover the same flights when I rebook them for 2021 to the same destinations. My gut feeling is that they will probably cover about 50% of what the new increased costs will be which, if true, equates to paying exactly the same amount for the whole thing all over again. A 1 for the price of 2 bargain.
Holidays? on 09:48 - May 9 with 1423 viewsWhiterockin

Will the new 14 day quarantine period for flights into the country be a cop out for holiday companies. They put the holidays on and you have to cancel unless you want to take 4 weeks off for a 2 week holiday. Insurance won't cover that and you won't be entitled to a refund.

Any thoughts.
Holidays? on 10:13 - May 9 with 1408 viewsWarwickHunt

Holidays? on 09:48 - May 9 by Whiterockin

Will the new 14 day quarantine period for flights into the country be a cop out for holiday companies. They put the holidays on and you have to cancel unless you want to take 4 weeks off for a 2 week holiday. Insurance won't cover that and you won't be entitled to a refund.

Any thoughts.

Anyone booking a holiday now deserves all they get.
Holidays? on 10:25 - May 9 with 1391 viewslifelong

Difficult to see how holiday companies like Tui and Easy Jet will now survive, their busiest 3 months of the holiday season fast approaching which will almost certainly be cancelled.
Holidays? on 10:35 - May 9 with 1378 viewsWhiterockin

Holidays? on 10:13 - May 9 by WarwickHunt

Anyone booking a holiday now deserves all they get.

True
But the major effect will be on bookings already made.
Holidays? on 11:46 - May 9 with 1337 viewsWarwickHunt

Holidays? on 10:35 - May 9 by Whiterockin

True
But the major effect will be on bookings already made.

I can’t see if making any difference.

No flights, no accommodation...
Holidays? on 12:59 - May 9 with 1310 viewsWhiterockin

Holidays? on 11:46 - May 9 by WarwickHunt

I can’t see if making any difference.

No flights, no accommodation...

Accommodation is starting to open again slowly in Spain, this will be accelerated in the coming months.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/articles/coronaviru

Holiday flights will be restarting well before September. Obviously there are flights now running into June and onward or there would be no 14 day quarantine planned.
Holidays? on 13:01 - May 9 with 1308 viewsNotLoyal

Holidays? on 09:48 - May 9 by Whiterockin

Any thoughts.

Some companies are offering vouchers too, which apparently not all are ATOL protected if they are accepted regardless of the original booking.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Holidays? on 13:27 - May 9 with 1291 viewsWhiterockin

Holidays? on 13:01 - May 9 by NotLoyal

Some companies are offering vouchers too, which apparently not all are ATOL protected if they are accepted regardless of the original booking.

Exactly.

But my biggest concern going forward if holidays are available and you do not wish to travel because you do not feel safe or because of restrictions in the country you are travelling to as an example. You will have no claim on insurance, ABTA or the travel company. Most who have already booked will have paid at least a deposit, some pay a monthly direct debit to the travel company to spread the cost. In all cases the balance is due 12 weeks in advance, 12 weeks from now is August 1st. So if you are travelling then or shortly after your balance will be due. The decision must be made to pay the balance or not. If you don't pay you lose your deposit. Pay the balance and if the holiday is not cancelled you must make the decision whether to go or not. If you decide not to go as things stand you lose everything you will have paid.

Decision time for many, myself included.
Holidays? on 14:33 - May 9 with 1277 viewslifelong

Holidays? on 13:27 - May 9 by Whiterockin

Exactly.

But my biggest concern going forward if holidays are available and you do not wish to travel because you do not feel safe or because of restrictions in the country you are travelling to as an example. You will have no claim on insurance, ABTA or the travel company. Most who have already booked will have paid at least a deposit, some pay a monthly direct debit to the travel company to spread the cost. In all cases the balance is due 12 weeks in advance, 12 weeks from now is August 1st. So if you are travelling then or shortly after your balance will be due. The decision must be made to pay the balance or not. If you don't pay you lose your deposit. Pay the balance and if the holiday is not cancelled you must make the decision whether to go or not. If you decide not to go as things stand you lose everything you will have paid.

Decision time for many, myself included.

A family we know have booked a £11k holiday for July with Tui, they’ve paid £2k deposit and the remaining 9 was due on the 1st May. Tui have said that the holiday was still due to go ahead and for them to pay the balance.
They decided not to and have lost the £2k.
Holidays? on 14:37 - May 9 with 1271 viewssainthelens

Holidays? on 14:33 - May 9 by lifelong

A family we know have booked a £11k holiday for July with Tui, they’ve paid £2k deposit and the remaining 9 was due on the 1st May. Tui have said that the holiday was still due to go ahead and for them to pay the balance.
They decided not to and have lost the £2k.

Then they are dull as fck.
You have to call their bluff, hold on and wait for it to be cancelled ( which inevitably would have). Thus they then get full refund.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024