Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Uncle Ben....Gone 14:52 - Jun 18 with 14782 viewssP7qupUf

The black character that has appeared on Uncle Ben's rice packaging is being dropped to avoid causing offence. When is all this going to end? This example is ridiculous.
Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:01 - Jun 18 with 5340 viewsHighjack

I’ve heard the Jolly Green Giant is currently locked in high level discussions too.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:03 - Jun 18 with 5338 viewslondonlisa2001

Why is it ridiculous?

It’s not that there is a single image of a black person on packaging that’s one of many positive images, it’s that the brands which have the most recognisable black imagery are outdated stereotypes rooted in a US history which is deeply offensive to many black people and there aren’t loads of positive images more than making up for it.

Hopefully it ends without this sort of thing being so ingrained in almost everything that’s around us.

Plus, you know, it’s a brand of rice and Mars can do whatever the hell they want as they own it.
Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:03 - Jun 18 with 5335 viewsFlashberryjack

It's just crazy isn't it, But I suppose a photo of a black person advertising a food product would be offensive to some.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:06 - Jun 18 with 5330 viewsHighjack

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:03 - Jun 18 by Flashberryjack

It's just crazy isn't it, But I suppose a photo of a black person advertising a food product would be offensive to some.

I saw a product called Ainsley Harriot rice which had a jovial looking black fella grinning out at me so I threw it away in disgust and bought some Loyd Grosman instead.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:10 - Jun 18 with 5312 viewsAquinas

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:03 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

Why is it ridiculous?

It’s not that there is a single image of a black person on packaging that’s one of many positive images, it’s that the brands which have the most recognisable black imagery are outdated stereotypes rooted in a US history which is deeply offensive to many black people and there aren’t loads of positive images more than making up for it.

Hopefully it ends without this sort of thing being so ingrained in almost everything that’s around us.

Plus, you know, it’s a brand of rice and Mars can do whatever the hell they want as they own it.

Do you think it is more likely that it has been removed because 'many' black people are genuinely offended by it or because virtue signalling middle class white people have said they're offended by it for a dopamine hit?
Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:11 - Jun 18 with 5306 viewsLohengrin

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:10 - Jun 18 by Aquinas

Do you think it is more likely that it has been removed because 'many' black people are genuinely offended by it or because virtue signalling middle class white people have said they're offended by it for a dopamine hit?

What do you reckon?

The Black Farmer’s next up.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:19 - Jun 18 with 5281 viewsHighjack

I bet that Captain Birdseye got up to all sorts at ports in every corner of the world.

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:20 - Jun 18 with 5273 viewsProfessor

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:11 - Jun 18 by Lohengrin

What do you reckon?

The Black Farmer’s next up.

But he is a real person. Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima (which we don't really get in the UK) are caricatures of fictional, dare I say traditional 'Southern State', black people. Not the most offensive, but not needed. Same has been done for 'Land of Lakes' brand which had a Native American girl image.
Login to get fewer ads

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:34 - Jun 18 with 5227 viewsHighjack

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:20 - Jun 18 by Professor

But he is a real person. Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima (which we don't really get in the UK) are caricatures of fictional, dare I say traditional 'Southern State', black people. Not the most offensive, but not needed. Same has been done for 'Land of Lakes' brand which had a Native American girl image.

It’s just the face of a warm and smiling old gentleman. What on Earth could possibly be negative about it?

Are we not allowed to have fictional black people anymore?

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:37 - Jun 18 with 5220 viewshobo

Why is it ridiculous?

https://imgur.com/qgsl4iZ

Out of interest, what is it you find offensive about his face?
Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:38 - Jun 18 with 5215 viewslondonlisa2001

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:03 - Jun 18 by Flashberryjack

It’s a stereotype not a black person advertising a food product.

No one has said that there can’t be pictures of black people advertising food.
Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:39 - Jun 18 with 5207 viewsHighjack

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:37 - Jun 18 by hobo

I think they’ve completely lost the plot.

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:41 - Jun 18 with 5204 viewsFlashberryjack

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:06 - Jun 18 by Highjack

I saw a product called Ainsley Harriot rice which had a jovial looking black fella grinning out at me so I threw it away in disgust and bought some Loyd Grosman instead.

That's a bit of a dilemma for me, I like Ainsley, not fussed on Loyd Grossman, but I do like his Chilli & Tomato sauce.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:44 - Jun 18 with 5194 viewslondonlisa2001

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:37 - Jun 18 by hobo

I don’t find anything offensive about his face.

I can understand why people find the caricature of him wearing a bow tie offensive (they’ve updated that to a shirt in some pictures these days) and can also understand why people find the name offensive.

You know why these brands are called ‘Uncle’ or ‘Aunt’ I assume?
Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:45 - Jun 18 with 5189 viewsHighjack

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:41 - Jun 18 by Flashberryjack

That's a bit of a dilemma for me, I like Ainsley, not fussed on Loyd Grossman, but I do like his Chilli & Tomato sauce.

I met Ainsley Harriott years ago. He’s a fantastically nice man and very funny. Not met Loyd Grosman though.

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:52 - Jun 18 with 5173 viewslondonlisa2001

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:39 - Jun 18 by Highjack

I think they’ve completely lost the plot.

Not anywhere near as much as you’ve lost the plot if you care that Mars are rebranding their own product.

If you don’t find it offensive, great. So what. Some people do and so they’re rebranding.

You surely don’t find rebranding a product to be an offensive thing for a company to do? They do it all the time.

The only reason for anyone to object is that they actually want to retain a brand simply because it offends or annoys people they don’t agree with. That’s pretty much as childish as it gets (childish being the kindest possible explanation).
Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:58 - Jun 18 with 5153 viewsProfessor

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:52 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

Not anywhere near as much as you’ve lost the plot if you care that Mars are rebranding their own product.

If you don’t find it offensive, great. So what. Some people do and so they’re rebranding.

You surely don’t find rebranding a product to be an offensive thing for a company to do? They do it all the time.

The only reason for anyone to object is that they actually want to retain a brand simply because it offends or annoys people they don’t agree with. That’s pretty much as childish as it gets (childish being the kindest possible explanation).

That’s the point. It is awfully close to the idea of ‘Uncle Tom’ and ‘Aunt Jemima’ is used in a similar context. The nature of it was pointed by a collaborator from University of Georgia. And yes she is black. It does not offend me, but it can be to a significant number of people. It’s not needed so why offend?
Uncle Ben....Gone on 16:04 - Jun 18 with 5139 viewslondonlisa2001

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:58 - Jun 18 by Professor

That’s the point. It is awfully close to the idea of ‘Uncle Tom’ and ‘Aunt Jemima’ is used in a similar context. The nature of it was pointed by a collaborator from University of Georgia. And yes she is black. It does not offend me, but it can be to a significant number of people. It’s not needed so why offend?

The reason ‘uncle’ and ‘aunt’ were used for black people, is because they weren’t entitled to be called Mr or Mrs. It was either their first name, or Uncle or Aunt. Uncle is tantamount to ‘boy’.

That’s why many black people find the brand offensive.
Uncle Ben....Gone on 16:04 - Jun 18 with 5137 viewsKerouac

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:58 - Jun 18 by Professor

Why offend?

...and you are an educator?

Somebody is always offended. If this society took your lead and sought not to offend anyone and submit to every demand regardless how small....we wouldn't be free anymore.

Think Charlie Hebdo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Uncle Ben....Gone on 16:05 - Jun 18 with 5133 viewsSwanjaxs

The Brownies will now be called The Girlies ...

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Uncle Ben....Gone on 16:07 - Jun 18 with 5130 viewsHighjack

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:52 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

I respect their right to do it but I think it’s an incredibly silly thing to do.

I’m not objecting, I never buy the stuff. I’m very much an Ainsley man, but it is reflective of the general silliness of society at the moment where the mere face of a black fella supposedly conjures up images of the Deep South and slavery.

It’s bonkers.

Uncle Ben....Gone on 16:09 - Jun 18 with 5121 viewsLohengrin

Uncle Ben....Gone on 16:05 - Jun 18 by Swanjaxs

The Brownies will now be called The Girlies ...

The Boys’ Brigade to become The Gender-neutral Young Adults?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Uncle Ben....Gone on 16:09 - Jun 18 with 5122 viewsProfessor

Uncle Ben....Gone on 16:04 - Jun 18 by Kerouac

Why offend?

...and you are an educator?

Somebody is always offended. If this society took your lead and sought not to offend anyone and submit to every demand regardless how small....we wouldn't be free anymore.

Think Charlie Hebdo.

That is a stupid comparison. Religion is based on belief and opinion. The offence was taken by extremists. The Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima images were offensive to a middle aged veterinary Microbiology professor. You have a point , to an extent, but we should question religion and politics. I am not much of an educator
Uncle Ben....Gone on 16:44 - Jun 18 with 5074 viewsNotLoyal

Why is it ridiculous?

Ingrained rice...

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Uncle Ben....Gone on 16:47 - Jun 18 with 5062 viewsNotLoyal

Uncle Ben....Gone on 15:01 - Jun 18 by Highjack

I’ve heard the Jolly Green Giant is currently locked in high level discussions too.

The Karl marx statue in Highgate has definitely got a slight smirk these days, he's as comfortable as a pig in shit.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024