Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Castell Howell 18:10 - Jun 23 with 7217 viewsraynor94

Bad news coming from there tonight, looks like a lot of jobs going to go.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Castell Howell on 13:09 - Jul 3 with 835 viewsKerouac

Castell Howell on 13:07 - Jul 3 by Professor

I'm fortunate my kids went to an excellent primary. My experiences were of Parc Primary (Cwmparc) in the 1970s. Our education was dire. We were a long way behind those from Treorchy or Ton Pentre. I made this point last week as an external examiner for another university. They are leaders in new teaching theory and I had to comment on "student as producer'. Meaning the students producing their own education via research/performance etc. This is fine in the latter stages but like anything in bioscience you need the basics-to speak the language before writing poetry.

I 100% agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Castell Howell on 16:37 - Jul 3 with 762 viewswaynekerr55

Castell Howell on 13:09 - Jul 3 by Kerouac

I 100% agree.

Spot on and great points.

Yet we have Dante's Fireplace top salesman Williamson saying kids should sit in rows facing the teacher and doing English and maths only.

These people are exceptionally fúcking Dim and incompetent. British exceptionalism at its very best (worst)

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Castell Howell on 17:02 - Jul 3 with 726 viewstaffpunk

Castell Howell on 13:07 - Jul 3 by Professor

I'm fortunate my kids went to an excellent primary. My experiences were of Parc Primary (Cwmparc) in the 1970s. Our education was dire. We were a long way behind those from Treorchy or Ton Pentre. I made this point last week as an external examiner for another university. They are leaders in new teaching theory and I had to comment on "student as producer'. Meaning the students producing their own education via research/performance etc. This is fine in the latter stages but like anything in bioscience you need the basics-to speak the language before writing poetry.

My Mrs is a teaching assistant in Penrhys Primary. The stories I hear on almost a daily basis about the pupils, and more regularly about their parents, are horrendous. The staff there deserve at least 6 months off a year, and to have their wages doubled!
[Post edited 3 Jul 2020 17:04]

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Castell Howell on 17:20 - Jul 3 with 705 viewsProfessor

Castell Howell on 17:02 - Jul 3 by taffpunk

My Mrs is a teaching assistant in Penrhys Primary. The stories I hear on almost a daily basis about the pupils, and more regularly about their parents, are horrendous. The staff there deserve at least 6 months off a year, and to have their wages doubled!
[Post edited 3 Jul 2020 17:04]

As is mine-although we live in a'nice' area there are still plenty of stories. It's an outstanding school but also chews up teachers. Had about 4 newly qualified teachers get the bullet within a year.

Hope you are keeping well and get to open the shop soon.
Castell Howell on 20:53 - Jul 3 with 655 viewsmajorraglan

Parental support and good teachers are essential for children to thrive.

I have a relative who was formerly a head teacher at a comprehensive school in Cardiff. The establishment drew its pupils from a mixed catchment area, some semi affluent neighbourhoods while other areas were much poorer. The afore mentioned relative was determined to deliver the best education they could for the pupils, during school holidays and in the evenings extra classes were provided to ensure the kids who needed that extra bit of help to get the grades got the support they needed and the school started hitting an upward trajectory. Kids who would have failed passed.

I am aware of a similar tale at a primary school down this way, but this time it’s totally the opposite. The driven, caring highly motivated head of a top performing school in what is a very deprived area retires, within a few years the school is close to or in special measures.

Eldest attends a Uni which makes use of contextual offers. He has come through the comprehensive school system but he is very much in the minority as most of his colleagues are from Grammar, Private or Academies. Some of the kids on his course have been to private schools where their parents have paid £40k pa fees - it’s cheaper to send the kids to Uni than school.

Education should be life long and not limited to Universities, we should be investing in more vocational courses, top quality training so we can have a modern highly skilled workforce. I don’t agree with what Tony Blair did when he expanded the number going to Universities so significantly, but I can see the reasoning behind his thinking.
Castell Howell on 00:15 - Jul 4 with 605 viewsGwyn737

Castell Howell on 20:53 - Jul 3 by majorraglan

Parental support and good teachers are essential for children to thrive.

I have a relative who was formerly a head teacher at a comprehensive school in Cardiff. The establishment drew its pupils from a mixed catchment area, some semi affluent neighbourhoods while other areas were much poorer. The afore mentioned relative was determined to deliver the best education they could for the pupils, during school holidays and in the evenings extra classes were provided to ensure the kids who needed that extra bit of help to get the grades got the support they needed and the school started hitting an upward trajectory. Kids who would have failed passed.

I am aware of a similar tale at a primary school down this way, but this time it’s totally the opposite. The driven, caring highly motivated head of a top performing school in what is a very deprived area retires, within a few years the school is close to or in special measures.

Eldest attends a Uni which makes use of contextual offers. He has come through the comprehensive school system but he is very much in the minority as most of his colleagues are from Grammar, Private or Academies. Some of the kids on his course have been to private schools where their parents have paid £40k pa fees - it’s cheaper to send the kids to Uni than school.

Education should be life long and not limited to Universities, we should be investing in more vocational courses, top quality training so we can have a modern highly skilled workforce. I don’t agree with what Tony Blair did when he expanded the number going to Universities so significantly, but I can see the reasoning behind his thinking.

This really resonates with me.

I was the first in my family to go through university and thank goodness I had a grant (I think the last year to have one in 1996)

It’s become a money maker now. All can go as long as they pay, which in essence means taking a loan.
Castell Howell on 00:19 - Jul 4 with 604 viewsTreforys_Jack

Castell Howell on 00:15 - Jul 4 by Gwyn737

This really resonates with me.

I was the first in my family to go through university and thank goodness I had a grant (I think the last year to have one in 1996)

It’s become a money maker now. All can go as long as they pay, which in essence means taking a loan.

A loan which most never repay so essentially a grant, unless the system has changed.
Castell Howell on 00:25 - Jul 4 with 600 viewsGwyn737

Castell Howell on 00:19 - Jul 4 by Treforys_Jack

A loan which most never repay so essentially a grant, unless the system has changed.

That’s probably the case now but when I did it you automatically paid it back when you earned a certain amount. In my case that meant it was payed back by the time I was 26.

Und you, I never paid tuition fees and for that I’m eternally grateful or I’d never have gone on to Uni.
Login to get fewer ads

Castell Howell on 01:15 - Jul 4 with 585 viewsmajorraglan

Castell Howell on 00:19 - Jul 4 by Treforys_Jack

Tuition fees are £9k per annum, accommodation is about £6k and then there beer money on top. The APR on student loans is around 5 or 6 per cent, kids are being set up to fail and carry huge debt throughout their lives.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024