Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 01:18 - Sep 29 with 169186 viewsDr_Parnassus

Who will be watching? First one kicks off in 24 hours time.

The Democrats have pulled Joe back from his campaign trail recently to get him prepared, so hopefully it will be a decent exchange.

Unfortunately they don’t seem to have great confidence as they have spent the last month looking for any dirt they can dig up so Joe can use if he gets stuck.

It’s no coincidence that this vote influencing Facebook algorithm story is being shamelessly and inaccurately made into a race issue on the eve of the debates. So transparent and disingenuous, it’s a shame politics has come to this on this level where black people are being used in this way to score political points. I would be furious if I was them, but it does seem a lot of people are not falling for this one and calling it out for what it is.

People finally seem to be getting wise to this political race baiting which is refreshing to see.

It’s also telling that in the week of the debate they try and paint Trump as a tax evasion offender. I think that’s what they wanted the tax returns to show, they seem to have got annoyed when it turns out his tax returns were fine in accordance to what his companies profits were - but decided to run with it anyway. Any news is good news in their mind as it’s another thing Joe can use when in a tricky spot.

But I hope the discussions remain political and doesn’t turn into some form of gossip peddling reality TV episode.

Although I think there should be some kind of drinking game involved if it does turn that way, how many times Biden completely loses his thread of thought and blurts out “I mean, think about it...” you have to take a shot.

I will be watching with great interest anyway.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 15:57 - Oct 3 with 1113 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 15:49 - Oct 3 by trampie

What polls do you take note of ?
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 15:55]

I judge them on their own individual merits.

Here is a study from UCLA on the media bias in the States. It’s a 30 page paper on the subject with the required data fields.

https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty_pages/romain.wacziarg/mediapapers/Groseclo

A quote from the conclusion:-

“Although we expected to find that most media lean left, we were astounded by the degree”

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:05 - Oct 3 with 1099 viewstrampie

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 15:57 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

I judge them on their own individual merits.

Here is a study from UCLA on the media bias in the States. It’s a 30 page paper on the subject with the required data fields.

https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty_pages/romain.wacziarg/mediapapers/Groseclo

A quote from the conclusion:-

“Although we expected to find that most media lean left, we were astounded by the degree”

Which ones do you follow, give me examples.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:08 - Oct 3 with 1095 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:05 - Oct 3 by trampie

Which ones do you follow, give me examples.

There is no specific type. I judge them on their own merits as and when they are presented.

But I assume just like the debates you will go with the consensus now

Glad we agreed in the end.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:12 - Oct 3 with 1089 viewstrampie

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:08 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

There is no specific type. I judge them on their own merits as and when they are presented.

But I assume just like the debates you will go with the consensus now

Glad we agreed in the end.

So no polls from any of the previously mentioned 'publications' that you sight as right wing and left wing then ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:18 - Oct 3 with 1078 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:12 - Oct 3 by trampie

So no polls from any of the previously mentioned 'publications' that you sight as right wing and left wing then ?

Again, I judge them on their own individual merit.

Depends what they are about and whether I foresee a bias. For example a poll on favourite flavour of ice cream on the left wing CNN I would probably be inclined to accept the result of, yet one on who is the better party Democrats or Republicans - I would take with a pinch of salt.

There is no hard and fast rule. I don’t particularly see where the voting bias comes into it when deciding which media platform has left or right leaning bias. The content speaks for itself.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:24 - Oct 3 with 1070 viewstrampie

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:18 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Depends what they are about and whether I foresee a bias. For example a poll on favourite flavour of ice cream on the left wing CNN I would probably be inclined to accept the result of, yet one on who is the better party Democrats or Republicans - I would take with a pinch of salt.

There is no hard and fast rule. I don’t particularly see where the voting bias comes into it when deciding which media platform has left or right leaning bias. The content speaks for itself.

Oh i see you only accept a poll if it coincides with your own personal bias.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:27 - Oct 3 with 1065 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:24 - Oct 3 by trampie

Oh i see you only accept a poll if it coincides with your own personal bias.

You think I have a bias on flavour of ice cream? I assure you I don’t. I rarely eat the stuff.

As I said, polls are judged on their own merits and the levels of bias determined before considering the results.

Fairly standard practice I would have thought.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 16:28]

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:35 - Oct 3 with 1053 viewstrampie

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:27 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

You think I have a bias on flavour of ice cream? I assure you I don’t. I rarely eat the stuff.

As I said, polls are judged on their own merits and the levels of bias determined before considering the results.

Fairly standard practice I would have thought.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 16:28]

Who determines polls are biased ?

Login to get fewer ads

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:38 - Oct 3 with 1050 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:35 - Oct 3 by trampie

Who determines polls are biased ?

“Who” determines it is probably the wrong question, “what” determines it is more to the point.

That would be common sense and an awareness of who is voting.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:49 - Oct 3 with 1036 viewstrampie

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:38 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

“Who” determines it is probably the wrong question, “what” determines it is more to the point.

That would be common sense and an awareness of who is voting.

So none of the 'publications' that you list both as being right and left will meet the criteria for publishing an unbiased political poll ?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:52 - Oct 3 with 1034 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:49 - Oct 3 by trampie

So none of the 'publications' that you list both as being right and left will meet the criteria for publishing an unbiased political poll ?

Depends what the poll was about. Some political subjects would hold no partisan answer.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:58 - Oct 3 with 1028 viewstrampie

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:52 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Depends what the poll was about. Some political subjects would hold no partisan answer.

What if they did a poll asking who is going to be the next President ?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:59 - Oct 3 with 1026 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:58 - Oct 3 by trampie

What if they did a poll asking who is going to be the next President ?

What about it?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 17:17 - Oct 3 with 1015 viewsDJack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:26 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Ah Scott Adams' drawings, I like him, he's a Trump supporter too.

Yep, he is. He sold out for reduced taxes.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 17:22 - Oct 3 with 1014 viewsDJack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 15:00 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

I see, that’s probably where you are going wrong then. It’s well known they are left wing.

If you are unsure feel free to match my list up to this:-

It is split into “left”, “left leaning”, “center”, “right leaning” and “right”.

You need to post that to AfD Kerouac and highlight the fact that the BBC is placed firmly in the centre...

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 17:24 - Oct 3 with 1012 viewsDJack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:18 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Dont you often state that that stating or thinking something is right does not make it true...

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 17:28 - Oct 3 with 1011 viewsDJack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 15:30 - Oct 3 by A_Fans_Dad

It is a bit out of date, Fox news can no longer be considered a right wing site, since Murdoch Jnr got involved they attack Trump and Republicans far more than support them.
Plus in no way is the Dail Mail "right wing", if theyever were, they regurgitate just as much left wing MSM reports and editiorials as right wing.

That is the biggest load of tripe ever. Fox still heavily pushes right wing agendas/talking points, it still attacks anything not right wing. They only gave Trump shit because he was acting like an idiot. As for the Mail you are in a diffrent universe compared to the rest of us on the planet

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 20:03 - Oct 3 with 954 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 17:28 - Oct 3 by DJack

That is the biggest load of tripe ever. Fox still heavily pushes right wing agendas/talking points, it still attacks anything not right wing. They only gave Trump shit because he was acting like an idiot. As for the Mail you are in a diffrent universe compared to the rest of us on the planet

Isn't it odd how opposite sides of the debate see things?
Most people judge a media outlet by the people they employ and Fox news does not employ all right leaning reporters and presenters.

Would you say all the criticism in the Mail about Johnson's handling of the pandemic is supporting the right wing Conservative party narrative?
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 20:09 - Oct 3 with 949 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 17:22 - Oct 3 by DJack

You need to post that to AfD Kerouac and highlight the fact that the BBC is placed firmly in the centre...

Very odd how the US citizens view the BBC as Central, they bash the US President at every opportunity on their news shows.
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 20:52 - Oct 3 with 929 viewsDJack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 20:03 - Oct 3 by A_Fans_Dad

Isn't it odd how opposite sides of the debate see things?
Most people judge a media outlet by the people they employ and Fox news does not employ all right leaning reporters and presenters.

Would you say all the criticism in the Mail about Johnson's handling of the pandemic is supporting the right wing Conservative party narrative?

They are critising him as they want some one more to the right then he for Prime Minister. You are either being obtuse or are struggling to comprehend what is happening before you.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 21:18 - Oct 3 with 916 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 20:52 - Oct 3 by DJack

They are critising him as they want some one more to the right then he for Prime Minister. You are either being obtuse or are struggling to comprehend what is happening before you.

Wow, there was silly old me thinking they were criticising him for his absolutely useless performance, I stand corrected by your far superior knowledge.
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 21:59 - Oct 3 with 906 viewsDJack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 21:18 - Oct 3 by A_Fans_Dad

Wow, there was silly old me thinking they were criticising him for his absolutely useless performance, I stand corrected by your far superior knowledge.

That was a given ya lemon, also your reply undermines your point on the Mail and conservatism...awkward

The level of the criticism from the Mail does not demonstrate that they are not right wing it just demonstrates what we already know...Boris and Cummings have been inept and they want someone else in place.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 22:24 - Oct 3 with 901 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 17:24 - Oct 3 by DJack

Dont you often state that that stating or thinking something is right does not make it true...

It’s not my thinking, it’s reality.

Hence I have the data and studies that mirror it.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 23:06 - Oct 3 with 880 viewsDJack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 22:24 - Oct 3 by Dr_Parnassus

It’s not my thinking, it’s reality.

Hence I have the data and studies that mirror it.

Er, no you dont. You pick arguments to go with youtube vids or bare statistics bereft of context.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 23:11 - Oct 3 with 874 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 23:06 - Oct 3 by DJack

Er, no you dont. You pick arguments to go with youtube vids or bare statistics bereft of context.

What do you mean? I just gave 90 pages of various academic studies complete with data fields and conclusions.

Something tells me you are just being silly.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024