Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Herbie 16:01 - Oct 6 with 1207 viewsYrAlarch

Herbie Williams

80 today

513 appearances for the Swans, his only football league Club!
Herbie on 16:25 - Oct 6 with 1192 viewsCatullus

I love Herbie. I used to work with him sometimes, down in the Sorting office. He always used to joke about his eyesight, said he was blind as a bat as a player too! I never saw him play, he was 27 when I was born. He's a tremendous character though.

One of his football stories was about his "bonus" which was free pie and chips and a free bus ride home because back then players wages were slightly different!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Herbie on 16:36 - Oct 6 with 1187 viewsYrAlarch

Forgot to mention ... had 3 caps for Wales.

Also interesting to be reminded that he went to work as a 'Postie' as did a number of of other ex Swans.
Herbie on 16:48 - Oct 6 with 1181 viewsTreforys_Jack

Herbie on 16:25 - Oct 6 by Catullus

I love Herbie. I used to work with him sometimes, down in the Sorting office. He always used to joke about his eyesight, said he was blind as a bat as a player too! I never saw him play, he was 27 when I was born. He's a tremendous character though.

One of his football stories was about his "bonus" which was free pie and chips and a free bus ride home because back then players wages were slightly different!

Myself and a few others on here worked with Herbie also, so I probably know you cats. Herbie was great company and had some funny stories tbf, football was certainly a little different in those days.
Herbie on 17:43 - Oct 6 with 1159 viewsCatullus

Herbie on 16:48 - Oct 6 by Treforys_Jack

Myself and a few others on here worked with Herbie also, so I probably know you cats. Herbie was great company and had some funny stories tbf, football was certainly a little different in those days.

I only worked with him when on overtime/scheduled attendance, I was a delivery postie but yes, we'd probably recognise each other. I was medically retired in 2011 having started in 1992.

YrAlarch, yep I also worked with Nigel French, Dudley Lewis, Nigel Dalling, Gary Richards and Nigel Stevenson. There were several others, Gary Emmanuel, nice fella.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Herbie on 17:47 - Oct 6 with 1158 viewsBarrySwan

Herbie on 17:43 - Oct 6 by Catullus

I only worked with him when on overtime/scheduled attendance, I was a delivery postie but yes, we'd probably recognise each other. I was medically retired in 2011 having started in 1992.

YrAlarch, yep I also worked with Nigel French, Dudley Lewis, Nigel Dalling, Gary Richards and Nigel Stevenson. There were several others, Gary Emmanuel, nice fella.

One of my favourite Swans players of all time Herbie.
Herbie on 19:10 - Oct 6 with 1126 viewstheloneranger

Herbie on 16:25 - Oct 6 by Catullus

Herbie was one of the first players to wear contact lenses.

Sometimes after contesting a header, one would fall out and Herbie would be on all 4's looking for it, while the game carried on around him!! 😂😂

A true Swans LEGEND, and a propper gent with a wicked sense of humour.

Happy 80th Birthday Herbie ... YJB

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Herbie on 20:04 - Oct 6 with 1109 viewsNaughty71

I also worked with Herbie - I was a processing postie, only ever worked in the mail centre and would often see Herbie and his side-kick Mike O’Sullivan on the late shift.
Also worked with Frenchie, still see Nigel Dalling now and again and his brother Kevin still works for us.
Mostly the ex pros would end up as delivery posties, like Nigel,Dudley, Gary Richards and Gary Emmanuel, who was working in the Mumbles delivery section for a while.
Top bloke Herbie - happy birthday to him!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 20:06]

"Who scored that Naughty?", "I don't know, I've forgotten my bl**dy glasses again!".

Herbie on 20:15 - Oct 6 with 1092 viewstrampie

Clearly a great servant to the Swans.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Login to get fewer ads

Herbie on 23:25 - Oct 6 with 1055 viewsbuilthjack

Herbie on 20:04 - Oct 6 by Naughty71

I also worked with Herbie - I was a processing postie, only ever worked in the mail centre and would often see Herbie and his side-kick Mike O’Sullivan on the late shift.
Also worked with Frenchie, still see Nigel Dalling now and again and his brother Kevin still works for us.
Mostly the ex pros would end up as delivery posties, like Nigel,Dudley, Gary Richards and Gary Emmanuel, who was working in the Mumbles delivery section for a while.
Top bloke Herbie - happy birthday to him!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 20:06]

I played for Gary Emmanuel in the late 80s. His nephew Andy was in goal.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Herbie on 03:54 - Oct 7 with 1029 viewsTreforys_Jack

And Robbie !!! Gary Emmanuel and Dudley still there, both really likable people.
Herbie on 07:14 - Oct 7 with 1012 viewsNaughty71

Herbie on 03:54 - Oct 7 by Treforys_Jack

And Robbie !!! Gary Emmanuel and Dudley still there, both really likable people.

Almost forgot, Mark Baker is my actual postie as well!

I always remember Herbie telling about when he joined Royal Mail in that, as a professional footballer/coach, his wage was £17 a week, and he was on £17.50 as a postie!

"Who scored that Naughty?", "I don't know, I've forgotten my bl**dy glasses again!".

Herbie on 09:25 - Oct 7 with 993 views3swan

Did Herbie go to Australia for a while when he retired from football?
Herbie on 09:41 - Oct 7 with 992 viewsswan65split

Herbie on 09:25 - Oct 7 by 3swan

Yes he went for a year.

Belated Birthday wishes YJB.

One of the fondest memories I have of him is he nearly scored at the Kop end in our LCup game 68 ish.
Herbie on 10:17 - Oct 7 with 984 viewstheloneranger

Herbie on 09:25 - Oct 7 by 3swan

He was player coach of Australian side Balgownie Rangers (Wollongong City) NSW, for the 1975/76 season.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Herbie on 15:41 - Oct 7 with 937 views3swan

Thanks for the info. Fairly sure a goal kick was delayed while they looked for one of his contact lenses in the Vetch Field mud.
Herbie on 17:37 - Oct 7 with 901 viewsCatullus

Herbie on 15:41 - Oct 7 by 3swan

Thanks for the info. Fairly sure a goal kick was delayed while they looked for one of his contact lenses in the Vetch Field mud.

He did tell me when he headed a ball he usually ended up looking for his contacts.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024