Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP : RESULT : 3-1 Belgium 09:55 - Mar 22 with 4270 viewsNotLoyal

The World Cup qualifiers get underway and of course here on Swansea Independent we follow the national side all the way. Here is the Matchday thread.

Belgium v Wales
Wednesday 24th March 2021
Den Dreef, Leuven
Kick off 7.45pm

Coverage,: Live on BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Cymru, 5 Live, BBC Sounds, BBC Sport website and app, S4C, SKY Sports main event LIVE

Highlights,: Match of the Day Wales, BBC One Wales, 24 March, from 22:45 GMT and later on demand

LATEST NEWS
Romelu Lukaku has been named in the Belgium squad for the 2022 World Cup qualifier against Wales despite a coronavirus outbreak at his club Inter Milan, although boss Roberto Martinez admits the striker may not feature. Belgium meet Wales in Leuven on Wednesday and boss Martinez admits their record goalscorer could be missing when World Cup qualification in Europe gets under way.

"It is possible (Lukaku will not play), he is in the middle of a group that is isolating," Martinez said when announcing a 32-man squad for a World Cup qualifying triple-header against Wales, the Czech Republic and Belarus. "Tests are scheduled ahead, but we don't look any further than the next few days to see if Romelu can join us in the national "The (Italian) government and local authorities have got to give him the green light, but this is something we are used to and we will see how it develops.

Martinez manager of Belgium, another Swansea City success in coaching and management

WALES

The squad picked by whoever

Steve Cooper has stated publicly that he has had no contact from anyone at the FAW regards his players and their selection for the national team. “ I used to do it as a matter of courtesy” he said on Saturday. “ However, I’ve heard nothing, not a thing, all the other associations have spoken to me but not Wales” This obviously raises concerns that the unsuited Paige who is apparently ‘ looking after ‘ things whilst Giggs is on bail for hitting his mrs has little or no competency or rationale for running a football team. What a berk.

Robert Paige, No class and clearly hasn’t got a brain when it comes to common courtesy

Before we crack on here is the U21 squad picked by Paul Bodin, jeez does it get any worse ?

Paul Bodin has named eleven uncapped players in a new look squad to face the Republic of Ireland on Friday 26 March at Colliers Park, Wrexham (KO 13:00).

We move on.

Ramsey is out
Aaron Ramsey has been ruled out of Wales' opening two World Cup qualifiers.
Ramsey will miss Wednesday's trip to Belgium and the Czech Republic's visit to Wales six days later after picking up a thigh injury at his club Juventus.

Joe Allen
"A lot of the lads were talking about how they were showing the games again," Allen says. "I'd never watched them back, so I had a chance to go through them again and take that trip down memory lane. "What a summer it was and we're all hoping we get a taste of something similar this summer, with one eye on getting to a World Cup. I don't think you quite get over the trauma of missing out having come so close to qualifying," says Allen, who was taken off injured during that decisive loss. "It was a missed opportunity. A lot of the lads who were part of that campaign know that and I think it's going to be a driving force going into this one. The older you get, the more aware you get you are not going to get that many more chances. And for me personally I am realistic, this qualifying campaign could be the last one in terms of the World Cup. We are going to throw absolutely everything at getting there and what an achievement it would be if we make it."

Chris Coleman on tonight’s game
"If any of the lads are thinking they can go to Belgium and play 90% or even 95% and nick a win, then it's not going to happen," Coleman said. So they've got to go 100%, they've got to believe 100%, put themselves on the line and not be afraid to get it wrong.

"Sometimes we do that and play within ourselves - not just Wales, all athletes do that - but if we can just be brave, we're good enough to go and get a result. I know they're the best team in the world, they're ranked number one, but we've done it before and we can do it again. There are going to be moments when it's going to get really hard, it'll be really tough and those are the moments you just hang on like your life depended on it and you wait for a little opportunity. We will get one of those opportunities and... when you play one of these top international teams you've got to get used to large parts of the game where you're being dictated to in terms of possession, because the opposition are just that good.

"You've got to sit in and bide your time... and that's what we've got to get used to now."

TEAMS

Belgium: Courtois; Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Vertonghen (c); Meunier, De Bruyne, Dendoncker, Tielemans; Mertens, Lukaku, T. Hazard

Subs: Mignolet, Casteels, Denayer, Trossard, Foket, Vanaken, Januzaj, Praet, Benteke, Castagne, Doku, Batshuayi

Wales: Ward; Mepham, Lawrence, Rodon; C.Roberts, Wilson, Allen, Ampadu, N.Williams; James, Bale (c)

Subs: Hennessey, Davies, Gunter, Cabango, J.Williams, Robson-Kanu, Moore, Morrell, Norrington-Davies, Smith, Lawrence

DEFENSIVE WALES TONIGHT.

The expected loss happened but you can’t fault the effort.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread on 10:10 - Mar 22 with 2227 viewsbuilthjack

I wish myself and the Fireboy were there.

1-1

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 11:05 - Mar 22 with 2195 viewsraynor94

Sorry but it's a 2- 0 for me the difference between the squads is massive, and the Giggs fiasco hasn't helped at all.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread on 11:24 - Mar 22 with 2183 viewsFireboy2

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread on 10:10 - Mar 22 by builthjack

I wish myself and the Fireboy were there.

1-1

Aye it would be great K but we would have to pace ourselves with their beer, the last time I drank belgian beer I forgot where my digs were, what a palaver 🙄
Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 20:04 - Mar 22 with 2070 viewsChief

Lukaku has been cleared to play

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 20:35 - Mar 22 with 2029 viewsonehunglow

I d rather we didnt play and simply rested

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread on 06:52 - Mar 23 with 1967 viewsbuilthjack

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread on 11:24 - Mar 22 by Fireboy2

Aye it would be great K but we would have to pace ourselves with their beer, the last time I drank belgian beer I forgot where my digs were, what a palaver 🙄

Thats the norm

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 06:54 - Mar 23 with 1966 viewsbuilthjack

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 20:35 - Mar 22 by onehunglow

Are you saying that the Welsh boys should rest all summer and not go on the Lions tour ?

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 08:47 - Mar 23 with 1922 viewsbennytheblue

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 06:54 - Mar 23 by builthjack

Are you saying that the Welsh boys should rest all summer and not go on the Lions tour ?

Anyone on here ever go to Brussels? Quite a strange place I thought back in 1991 anyway......
Login to get fewer ads

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 08:57 - Mar 23 with 1916 viewsKeithHaynes

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 08:47 - Mar 23 by bennytheblue

Anyone on here ever go to Brussels? Quite a strange place I thought back in 1991 anyway......

Went with quite a few swans fans and one of my best mates a Cardiff lad, we drew 1-1, great place, The only odd thing I noticed which turned out to be ‘ an eye opener ‘ ( no pun etc ) was two blokes going round all the wales fans in the Irish bar asking who they supported. It got a bit tedious. Then they went to sleep for a bit 😉 It was coming. Great city though, anyway ...

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF **TUES update** on 09:20 - Mar 23 with 1880 viewsonehunglow

Truly not that bothered.Maybe it's the Wales coaches who don't exactly enthuse or the competition or the crowd free stadium.
I thought the break was just that and we d come back all guns blazing.
my'rse we will.

Plus Belgium look terrifyingly talented.A small country doing something right .It looks like their old colonies are helping in this regard which is ironic considering their wholescle raping of their land.

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread on 09:38 - Mar 23 with 1897 viewsFireboy2

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread on 06:52 - Mar 23 by builthjack

Thats the norm

I am normally a homing pigeon K but not on this occasion.

Btw it was the night I met king leon and the evidence is the photo in my avatar.
Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF **TUES update** on 18:57 - Mar 23 with 1765 viewstheloneranger

Ben Davies and Tom Lockyer have both withdrawn from the squad due to injury.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF **TUES update** on 19:51 - Mar 23 with 1749 viewsOldjack

4-0

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF **TUES update** on 20:10 - Mar 23 with 1712 viewstrampie

Losing Ben Davies is a huge blow.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF **TUES update** on 20:52 - Mar 23 with 1722 viewsbuilthjack

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF **TUES update** on 18:57 - Mar 23 by theloneranger

Ben Davies and Tom Lockyer have both withdrawn from the squad due to injury.

Key player Ben. Damn

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 22:08 - Mar 23 with 1696 viewspencoedjack

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 20:35 - Mar 22 by onehunglow

What Swans players are in the squad

Connor & Ben?

Giggs (if he is still picking the side) picks the Liverpool lad over Connor, is Ben a likely starter?

My biggest hope is they come back fit.
Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 22:12 - Mar 23 with 1695 viewspencoedjack

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 08:57 - Mar 23 by KeithHaynes

Went with quite a few swans fans and one of my best mates a Cardiff lad, we drew 1-1, great place, The only odd thing I noticed which turned out to be ‘ an eye opener ‘ ( no pun etc ) was two blokes going round all the wales fans in the Irish bar asking who they supported. It got a bit tedious. Then they went to sleep for a bit 😉 It was coming. Great city though, anyway ...

Typical Welsh trip then.

It’s amazing quite a few of the older Cardiff lot shun the Pencoed bluebirds if we are on a trip together.
Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF **TUES update** on 22:32 - Mar 23 with 1688 viewsFireboy2

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF **TUES update** on 19:51 - Mar 23 by Oldjack

4-0

Positive eh🙄
Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 08:56 - Mar 24 with 1567 viewsonehunglow

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP QF on 22:08 - Mar 23 by pencoedjack

What Swans players are in the squad

Connor & Ben?

Giggs (if he is still picking the side) picks the Liverpool lad over Connor, is Ben a likely starter?

My biggest hope is they come back fit.

Yep,but they are still with the squad and away from the club

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP : MATCHDAY on 16:22 - Mar 24 with 1475 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I'm going to go with 6-0

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP : MATCHDAY on 16:36 - Mar 24 with 1466 viewsbuilthjack

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP : MATCHDAY on 16:22 - Mar 24 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I'm going to go with 6-0

Bale 3, Cabango, James, Moore

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP : MATCHDAY on 17:35 - Mar 24 with 1445 viewsKeithHaynes

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP : MATCHDAY on 16:36 - Mar 24 by builthjack

Bale 3, Cabango, James, Moore

Bale won’t get three, subbed after his second when five up.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP : MATCHDAY on 18:11 - Mar 24 with 1424 viewsBoundy

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP : MATCHDAY on 17:35 - Mar 24 by KeithHaynes

Bale won’t get three, subbed after his second when five up.

That's the spirit , some think we're beaten before we kick a ball

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP : MATCHDAY on 18:24 - Mar 24 with 1396 viewsonehunglow

Builth brings up the Lions tour.
Interesting ,if totally irrelevant but difference is the Lions tour is in our close season whereas these internationals are right in the middle of our season .Injuries to key player/s could see us fail to get promotion. Rather more important than a tour of British and Irish of course rugby players with only honour and pride at stake . Stakes for Swans on another level.

Sorry Ken, get your username back as some cretin is hacking you.

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP : MATCHDAY on 19:17 - Mar 24 with 1356 viewsbuilthjack

Belgium v Wales : Matchday Thread WORLD CUP : MATCHDAY on 18:24 - Mar 24 by onehunglow

Builth brings up the Lions tour.
Interesting ,if totally irrelevant but difference is the Lions tour is in our close season whereas these internationals are right in the middle of our season .Injuries to key player/s could see us fail to get promotion. Rather more important than a tour of British and Irish of course rugby players with only honour and pride at stake . Stakes for Swans on another level.

Sorry Ken, get your username back as some cretin is hacking you.

Alun Wyn Jones. 270ish appearances for club/region.
170ish appearances for country.

You think that's ok for his region to let him play for Wales. Yet any Swans players can't play for Wales?

Let's have a level playing field or its best you keep,quiet.

Every other game and more is for his country.
Yet you say footballers shouldn't play one game in eight for their country.

Grow up.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2021 19:20]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024