Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended 17:06 - Mar 25 with 7134 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

A teacher has been suspended after allegedly showing caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad during a religious education lesson exploring blasphemy.

Dozens of furious Muslim parents protested outside the historic Batley Grammar School in West Yorkshire today, which had to delay its opening and told pupils to stay at home amid chaotic scenes at the gates. The protesters had been demanding the resignation of the teacher. Muslims make up 41 per cent of the population in Batley, a historic market and mill town in the Kirkless region

Headteacher Gary Kibble 'sincerely apologised for the great offence to the community'. Today's protest comes five months after history teacher Samuel Paty was beheaded on the street near his school in a Paris suburb by an Islamic extremist last October after showing Prophet Muhammad cartoons to his students.

Reacting to the images being shown, Mohammad Salad Hussain, founder of the Batley-based Muslim charity Purpose of Life, said: "'We feel like he's (the teacher) hiding away and that's not good enough, he needs to show his face. A lot of us have questions for him about how this ever happened in the first place, something clearly went very wrong."

"Officers were guarding all school entrances".

How very sad - let's hope our fantastic intelligence agencies are able to prevent any abhorrent retaliations like we saw in France against Samuel Paty.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-56524850

[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 17:07]

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 17:19 - Mar 25 with 3363 viewsfelixstowe_jack

So much for free speech in a democracy. You would think the Muslims have more important thinks to sort out like child sex scandals, women's right and respective other people's views.

Schools are there to education children, give all points of views . They are not there to indoctrinate, or re-educate children.

Perhaps the Muslim community should protest in China in support of the human rights of other Muslims.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 17:37 - Mar 25 with 3342 viewsonehunglow

I know the area reasonably well.
This will upset some punters but this is a classic case of an former mill town having its culture changed completely within 50 years or less.
This is the result of a religion that brainwashes,as they all do.However most including Judaism have moved away from the edge of extremist fundamentalism .

People should be free to worship as they please but also the fact the majority of us believe all religion is a killing joke.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 17:44 - Mar 25 with 3343 viewsBoundy

This pretty much sums up my attitude to religion

“Anybody who wants religion is welcome to it, as far as I'm concerned--I support your right to enjoy it. However, I would appreciate it if you exhibited more respect for the rights of those people who do not wish to share your dogma, rapture, or necrodestination.”
-- Frank Zappa

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 17:50 - Mar 25 with 3341 viewsFireboy2

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 17:44 - Mar 25 by Boundy

This pretty much sums up my attitude to religion

“Anybody who wants religion is welcome to it, as far as I'm concerned--I support your right to enjoy it. However, I would appreciate it if you exhibited more respect for the rights of those people who do not wish to share your dogma, rapture, or necrodestination.”
-- Frank Zappa

And mine.

There isn't much that really makes me boil and but this one.

In this country we have free speech, we have comedians taking the p!ss out of catholics, protestants, jeoviahs etc, do they kick up a fuss? No, why? Because they have a sense of humour, perhaps these people should take a leaf from their book.
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 18:00 - Mar 25 with 3328 viewsGroo

Groo does what Groo does best

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 18:15 - Mar 25 with 3287 viewscontroversial_jack

The headteacher should grow a pair of nadgers and support his staff.
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 18:35 - Mar 25 with 3292 viewsraynor94

Can't believe the Headmaster has hung the teacher out to dry like this.

He's the one who should be suspended

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:06 - Mar 25 with 3275 viewsGwyn737

Firstly, I’m only talking about this particular event and in no way am I justifying any other situation...but...

This was an RE lesson in a secular grammar school - there’s no agenda from being any type of faith school, and they were teaching a unit on Islam (which is compulsory in state schools).

Surely you teach as part of their learning that showing images of that sort is offensive to Muslims?

For what reason in an RE lesson would you show an image of any type? What would be the purpose?
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 19:12]
Login to get fewer ads

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:21 - Mar 25 with 3236 viewsCatullus

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:06 - Mar 25 by Gwyn737

Firstly, I’m only talking about this particular event and in no way am I justifying any other situation...but...

This was an RE lesson in a secular grammar school - there’s no agenda from being any type of faith school, and they were teaching a unit on Islam (which is compulsory in state schools).

Surely you teach as part of their learning that showing images of that sort is offensive to Muslims?

For what reason in an RE lesson would you show an image of any type? What would be the purpose?

Off the top of my head, to demonstrate that other people have opposing views. To show that religion is not free from lampooning and that in a country of democracy and free speech you can hold what religious views you like ( protected by law) but other people are entitled to their opinions too.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:25 - Mar 25 with 3230 viewsBoundy

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:06 - Mar 25 by Gwyn737

What did the image portray exactly ? we're at the stage now that we as a nation have to pussy foot around ONE religion for fear of offending . They demand the sacking of a teacher , who exactly are they to demand anything. How many of those so called religious zealots fornicate drink alcohol and carry out a myriad of other "normal " acts .
This was just another opportunity to remind us all just how precious they they think they are . Turn the other cheek my arse

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:28 - Mar 25 with 3223 viewsGwyn737

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:21 - Mar 25 by Catullus

Off the top of my head, to demonstrate that other people have opposing views. To show that religion is not free from lampooning and that in a country of democracy and free speech you can hold what religious views you like ( protected by law) but other people are entitled to their opinions too.

Which you could do without showing an image?

I’ve no issue of an image being shared as a news item or a satire. Come to that, you could make a good argument to use it in an ethics or citizenship type lesson.

I just think that using it in an RE lesson is clumsy at best.
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:30 - Mar 25 with 3214 viewsGwyn737

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:25 - Mar 25 by Boundy

What did the image portray exactly ? we're at the stage now that we as a nation have to pussy foot around ONE religion for fear of offending . They demand the sacking of a teacher , who exactly are they to demand anything. How many of those so called religious zealots fornicate drink alcohol and carry out a myriad of other "normal " acts .
This was just another opportunity to remind us all just how precious they they think they are . Turn the other cheek my arse

I’m not sure what image was used.

My issue isn’t that it was shown but that is was shown in an RE lesson.
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:31 - Mar 25 with 3213 viewsBoundy

We're talking about one persons' livelihood .

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:50 - Mar 25 with 3182 viewsGroo

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:31 - Mar 25 by Boundy

We're talking about one persons' livelihood .

Have you read the replies to that tweet.

Groo does what Groo does best

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:58 - Mar 25 with 3171 viewsCatullus

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:28 - Mar 25 by Gwyn737

Which you could do without showing an image?

I’ve no issue of an image being shared as a news item or a satire. Come to that, you could make a good argument to use it in an ethics or citizenship type lesson.

I just think that using it in an RE lesson is clumsy at best.

Well I'm not a teacher but maybe it depends on the context of the discussion?

I can't help but wonder if we'd be having this conversation if a Christian image had been used?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 20:05 - Mar 25 with 3162 viewsBoundy

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:30 - Mar 25 by Gwyn737

Religious education by text only ? I'm sure there must be thousands of drawings of the great man , maybe what ever was shown should have gone past a vetting panel first? .

I'm sure what ever was shown wasn't as offensive as images such as a decapitation carried out in the name of he who cannot be mentioned .
I suppose yet again we will have to beat ourselves up ourselves just to appease a minority of what I class as idiots

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 20:06 - Mar 25 with 3159 viewsGwyn737

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:58 - Mar 25 by Catullus

Well I'm not a teacher but maybe it depends on the context of the discussion?

I can't help but wonder if we'd be having this conversation if a Christian image had been used?

You’re right in that context is everything and we probably will never get the full story.

It can’t really be compared to Christianity as there not a comparable tenet.

Put it this way...

Imagine you’re an RE teacher in a secular school meaning you’re not promoting any faith or describing any faith as good or bad.

You’re teaching Islamism and one fact about followers is they believe that their God should not have images made of them and trying to do so is wrong. Why would showing an image be beneficial?

I’m not excusing the reaction btw.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 20:07]
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 20:08 - Mar 25 with 3152 viewsBoundy

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:50 - Mar 25 by Groo

Have you read the replies to that tweet.

No but I feel I should now

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 20:11 - Mar 25 with 3143 viewsGwyn737

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 20:05 - Mar 25 by Boundy

Religious education by text only ? I'm sure there must be thousands of drawings of the great man , maybe what ever was shown should have gone past a vetting panel first? .

I'm sure what ever was shown wasn't as offensive as images such as a decapitation carried out in the name of he who cannot be mentioned .
I suppose yet again we will have to beat ourselves up ourselves just to appease a minority of what I class as idiots

I’ve been completely clear that I’m only talking about this particular event.
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 20:14 - Mar 25 with 3138 viewsCatullus

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 20:06 - Mar 25 by Gwyn737

You’re right in that context is everything and we probably will never get the full story.

It can’t really be compared to Christianity as there not a comparable tenet.

Put it this way...

Imagine you’re an RE teacher in a secular school meaning you’re not promoting any faith or describing any faith as good or bad.

You’re teaching Islamism and one fact about followers is they believe that their God should not have images made of them and trying to do so is wrong. Why would showing an image be beneficial?

I’m not excusing the reaction btw.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 20:07]

The only beneficial thing I can think of would be to demonstrate to non Muslims something that is totally not acceptable to Muslims.

And yes, that would be very clumsy. I've met a few clumsy teachers in my time though. Not knowing this teacher and accepting anything is possible, he may have meant to be inflammatory. Who knows.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 20:17 - Mar 25 with 3133 viewsBoundy

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 20:11 - Mar 25 by Gwyn737

I’ve been completely clear that I’m only talking about this particular event.

This is not one event though is it , too many innocents have lost their lives because of someone being "offended;

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 20:19 - Mar 25 with 3129 viewsGwyn737

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 20:17 - Mar 25 by Boundy

This is not one event though is it , too many innocents have lost their lives because of someone being "offended;

But I’m only talking this event in reaction to the OP.

My opinions on other events are very different.
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 23:38 - Mar 25 with 3028 viewsbuilthjack

You can take the pi$$ out of most religions, but if you do it to Muslims or Jews then you get yourself in big bother.
Why are they more important?
[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 7:29]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 00:37 - Mar 26 with 3000 viewscontroversial_jack

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 18:35 - Mar 25 by raynor94

Can't believe the Headmaster has hung the teacher out to dry like this.

He's the one who should be suspended

Agree totally. He's put him under the bus
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 06:51 - Mar 26 with 2976 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:30 - Mar 25 by Gwyn737

Islam is allegedly a religion . That’s why Gwyn.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024