Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Senedd 12:30 - May 19 with 3560 viewsYrAlarch

It seems that our First Minister is in favour of increasing the size of the Senedd from 60 to 90 Members. Estimated (yes I know!) cost £12 million. A good move given it's increased powers and workload?
Senedd on 13:01 - May 19 with 2729 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Just looks like jobs for the boys. The UK had 650 MPs roughly 1 MP Per 100,000. On a similar ratio Wales should have 32 members in the Senedd.

Unless the Welsh government reduces the number of councils from 22 to a more manageable 11 to save cost there is no justification to increase senedd to 90.

Either power should reside with councils or the senedd. Perhaps more power could be devolved to local councils.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Senedd on 15:20 - May 19 with 2690 viewscontroversial_jack

Senedd on 13:01 - May 19 by felixstowe_jack

Just looks like jobs for the boys. The UK had 650 MPs roughly 1 MP Per 100,000. On a similar ratio Wales should have 32 members in the Senedd.

Unless the Welsh government reduces the number of councils from 22 to a more manageable 11 to save cost there is no justification to increase senedd to 90.

Either power should reside with councils or the senedd. Perhaps more power could be devolved to local councils.

Is it like the Govt altering the constituent boundaries to give themselves the edge in future elections?
Senedd on 17:36 - May 19 with 2658 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Senedd on 15:20 - May 19 by controversial_jack

Is it like the Govt altering the constituent boundaries to give themselves the edge in future elections?

Fortunately in the UK only the independent electoral boundary commission can recommend boundary changes. Their remit to to try to make sure all constituencies have similar number of voters. It has been a while since major boundary changes have been made.

Senedd on 19:31 - May 19 with 2611 viewsCatullus

Yeah just what we need, even more politicians. The more we have the worse things get.

I wonder, if these extras happen, how much will the next pay rise be, given they'll have more people to do the same amount of work.

To me this comes under the same thing as I said about giving votes to kids, the government shouldn't be allowed to make these major changes without a referendum and a mandate from the people.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Senedd on 20:02 - May 19 with 2600 viewsKeithHaynes

Shame that wasn’t reflected in the ticket allocation for Saturday.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Senedd on 23:04 - May 19 with 2552 viewsmajorraglan

Senedd on 13:01 - May 19 by felixstowe_jack

Totally agree, the number of councils is ridiculous and we could easily pay for more AM’s if the number of councils was cut. My personal view is 1 per 100,000 is too much and it needs to be lower, but 90 AM’s is a joke.
Senedd on 02:20 - May 20 with 2530 viewsJack59

The Tory government are effectively propping up Drakeford and Welsh Labour through the Barnett formula.
Wales is a £9 billion drain on the UK economy, and yet Drakeford still proposes needless increases in spending, The Welsh language policy is also unnecessary and hugely expensive at this time.
He believes he has a mandate for even more radical policies, and yet his party failed to get even 20% of the electorate in Wales to vote for them. But the numbers supporting them were still far too high given their poor record in health and education.
It's time now for the Welsh public to be brought back down to earth with a bump, I believe it's in the long term interest of Wales, The Barnett Formula needs to be scrapped, and the people of Wales should receive the same per capita as their counterparts in England.
I am totally fed up with Drakeford and others in his party claiming credit for situations that were only made possible by Westminster.
In the coming days I will be writing to Conservative cabinet members advising them of
my views on how the extra money Wales receives reinforces the Welsh Labour Party.
With over 50% of the Welsh electorate regularly too comatose to take an interest in these elections, I believe my proposal in time will prove beneficial by increasing democracy in Wales.
Senedd on 08:03 - May 20 with 2455 viewsKilkennyjack

Senedd on 02:20 - May 20 by Jack59

The Tory government are effectively propping up Drakeford and Welsh Labour through the Barnett formula.
Wales is a £9 billion drain on the UK economy, and yet Drakeford still proposes needless increases in spending, The Welsh language policy is also unnecessary and hugely expensive at this time.
He believes he has a mandate for even more radical policies, and yet his party failed to get even 20% of the electorate in Wales to vote for them. But the numbers supporting them were still far too high given their poor record in health and education.
It's time now for the Welsh public to be brought back down to earth with a bump, I believe it's in the long term interest of Wales, The Barnett Formula needs to be scrapped, and the people of Wales should receive the same per capita as their counterparts in England.
I am totally fed up with Drakeford and others in his party claiming credit for situations that were only made possible by Westminster.
In the coming days I will be writing to Conservative cabinet members advising them of
my views on how the extra money Wales receives reinforces the Welsh Labour Party.
With over 50% of the Welsh electorate regularly too comatose to take an interest in these elections, I believe my proposal in time will prove beneficial by increasing democracy in Wales.

The welsh people voted for Professor Drakeford.
The welsh people rejected Johnson and his Little England wet dream.

Not sure if you missed it.

Welsh Labour decides in Wales, Cymru never ever votes Tory.

You are right about Barnett though.
Wales has been neglected for decades.
Money should be distributed based on need.

I do agree though that Wales should not be dependent on this toxic union though, independence would be better for everyone.

The future of Cymru is in the EU.

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

Senedd on 08:05 - May 20 with 2459 viewsDr_Winston

The Senedd has only ever been a job creation scheme for second rate politicians, hence it's woeful performance in every area that matters. Is it really that much of a surprise to see the piggies trying to create extra space at the trough?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Senedd on 08:08 - May 20 with 2447 viewsKilkennyjack

Senedd on 17:36 - May 19 by felixstowe_jack

Fortunately in the UK only the independent electoral boundary commission can recommend boundary changes. Their remit to to try to make sure all constituencies have similar number of voters. It has been a while since major boundary changes have been made.

You are obviously not aware of this one then.

Westminster is actively diminishing Wales still further.

Senedd on 08:10 - May 20 with 2444 viewsKilkennyjack

Senedd on 08:05 - May 20 by Dr_Winston

The Senedd has only ever been a job creation scheme for second rate politicians, hence it's woeful performance in every area that matters. Is it really that much of a surprise to see the piggies trying to create extra space at the trough?

Nobody voted for Abolish .... 😂😂

Senedd on 08:21 - May 20 with 2444 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Senedd on 08:03 - May 20 by Kilkennyjack

The welsh people voted for Professor Drakeford.
The welsh people rejected Johnson and his Little England wet dream.

Not sure if you missed it.

Welsh Labour decides in Wales, Cymru never ever votes Tory.

You are right about Barnett though.
Wales has been neglected for decades.
Money should be distributed based on need.

I do agree though that Wales should not be dependent on this toxic union though, independence would be better for everyone.

The future of Cymru is in the EU.

The trouble is if you keep subsidies high there is no incentive for people or organisations to become more efficient, incentive or dynamic. Plenty of evidence in the EU with the CAP which protects inefficient French Spanish and Greek farmers keeping prices high. In Wales Drakeford wastes money on his pet projects while he stops investments in vital infrastructure projects like the M4 relief road while wasting money on the heads of the valley roads. Meanwhile Drakeford's government gives as smaller % of the UK block grant to local councils every year. Each year less than the annual increase in the block grant.

Senedd on 08:27 - May 20 with 2437 viewsonehunglow

Senedd on 08:21 - May 20 by felixstowe_jack

The trouble is if you keep subsidies high there is no incentive for people or organisations to become more efficient, incentive or dynamic. Plenty of evidence in the EU with the CAP which protects inefficient French Spanish and Greek farmers keeping prices high. In Wales Drakeford wastes money on his pet projects while he stops investments in vital infrastructure projects like the M4 relief road while wasting money on the heads of the valley roads. Meanwhile Drakeford's government gives as smaller % of the UK block grant to local councils every year. Each year less than the annual increase in the block grant.

Felix,me ol mucker.
Don't you think the working class should only have one party for which to cast their vote.

I mean the Tories don't represent us and are all vile and corrupt.

It would save us a fortune if we had just one party for the poor and one for the rich?

Innit

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Senedd on 09:55 - May 20 with 2416 viewsCatullus

Senedd on 02:20 - May 20 by Jack59

Maybe you should post that letter on here, I'm sure a few others would agree with you nd send it in too.

How about you start a petition with it and see how many Welsh people agree?

Another poster on here claimed the Welsh public supported Labour and I pointed out that was a false generalisation. As only 20% of the electorate had chosen Labour. Of course the Labour stalwarts didn't like that.

There is always a claim that people in Wales support having the Senedd yet that claim is backed up by polls of small amounts of people. The claim was also made that because Abolish won no seats there is no interest in Abolishing the Senedd yet polls still show it has more support than Indy. Seeing as the Senedd elections have never managed to make a 50% turnout it proves the majority of Welsh voters don't care about it when General Election turnout is over 60%. What I'd love to know is, how many people who have never voted in WA/WG/Senedd elections always vote in the GE and then how many who always vote in the Welsh election never vote in a GE. We'd have a clearer view of the situation then.

edit, https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/senedd-election-welsh-parliament-pol

The stats they presented are misleading, all of them because every stat is less than half of what they say, really speaking. because less than half of the electorate voted. They always present these thing sin a positive light for the Senedd. Tell us how many of the elctorate voted for these individulas and it looks a lot less shiny and happy.
[Post edited 20 May 2021 10:49]

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Senedd on 11:07 - May 20 with 2395 viewspencoedjack

The Welsh public reap what they sow, when England starts to thrive & new businesses don't move to Wales due to poor transport links & a mickey mouse government rooted in their 20th century values there is no point those who voted for them moaning.

Wales is going backwards at an alarming rate of knots under the current administration but hey we have a nice capital city & airport that will keep getting money spunked at it.
Senedd on 13:15 - May 20 with 2372 viewsJack59

Senedd on 09:55 - May 20 by Catullus

Maybe you should post that letter on here, I'm sure a few others would agree with you nd send it in too.

How about you start a petition with it and see how many Welsh people agree?

Another poster on here claimed the Welsh public supported Labour and I pointed out that was a false generalisation. As only 20% of the electorate had chosen Labour. Of course the Labour stalwarts didn't like that.

There is always a claim that people in Wales support having the Senedd yet that claim is backed up by polls of small amounts of people. The claim was also made that because Abolish won no seats there is no interest in Abolishing the Senedd yet polls still show it has more support than Indy. Seeing as the Senedd elections have never managed to make a 50% turnout it proves the majority of Welsh voters don't care about it when General Election turnout is over 60%. What I'd love to know is, how many people who have never voted in WA/WG/Senedd elections always vote in the GE and then how many who always vote in the Welsh election never vote in a GE. We'd have a clearer view of the situation then.

edit, https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/senedd-election-welsh-parliament-pol

The stats they presented are misleading, all of them because every stat is less than half of what they say, really speaking. because less than half of the electorate voted. They always present these thing sin a positive light for the Senedd. Tell us how many of the elctorate voted for these individulas and it looks a lot less shiny and happy.
[Post edited 20 May 2021 10:49]

If you add up the numbers working in Wales for the NHS, add teachers and lecturers, and you are not far short of 200,000. That's like a block vote for Welsh Labour and possibly could equate to a very high percentage of the Labour vote in Wales.
I'm certain that the turn out of people working in these two environments is much higher than those for instance who are not public employees.
I know some people thin, that it's a rich versus the poor situation. but I think It's more like a public sector versus private sector divide that we have.
Sadly, It means that the Wealth creators in Wales persistently have less influence over the Welsh government than those who get their wages from the government.
Senedd on 14:24 - May 20 with 2340 viewsCatullus

Senedd on 13:15 - May 20 by Jack59

If you add up the numbers working in Wales for the NHS, add teachers and lecturers, and you are not far short of 200,000. That's like a block vote for Welsh Labour and possibly could equate to a very high percentage of the Labour vote in Wales.
I'm certain that the turn out of people working in these two environments is much higher than those for instance who are not public employees.
I know some people thin, that it's a rich versus the poor situation. but I think It's more like a public sector versus private sector divide that we have.
Sadly, It means that the Wealth creators in Wales persistently have less influence over the Welsh government than those who get their wages from the government.

I don't think it's safe to assume all public sector workers vote Labour. My wife hates them, can't stand Drakeford nad has felt like that since he visited her workplace.

I'm former public sector too and last time around I voted for our local indy candidate.

The power is with the rich, politicians love their rich friends, those who give them freebies, who donate to them.
Try getting a policeman to your house, not easy these days but if a rich or famous person phones with the same problem...
Waiting for an operation, it could literally be years but if you are rich you pay them and you are straight in and it could even be the same surgeon you are waiting for.

Senedd on 15:07 - May 20 with 2318 viewsFlashberryjack

Senedd on 11:07 - May 20 by pencoedjack

The Welsh public reap what they sow, when England starts to thrive & new businesses don't move to Wales due to poor transport links & a mickey mouse government rooted in their 20th century values there is no point those who voted for them moaning.

Wales is going backwards at an alarming rate of knots under the current administration but hey we have a nice capital city & airport that will keep getting money spunked at it.

This.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Senedd on 15:39 - May 20 with 2304 viewsJack59

Senedd on 14:24 - May 20 by Catullus

I don't think it's safe to assume all public sector workers vote Labour. My wife hates them, can't stand Drakeford nad has felt like that since he visited her workplace.

I'm former public sector too and last time around I voted for our local indy candidate.

The power is with the rich, politicians love their rich friends, those who give them freebies, who donate to them.
Try getting a policeman to your house, not easy these days but if a rich or famous person phones with the same problem...
Waiting for an operation, it could literally be years but if you are rich you pay them and you are straight in and it could even be the same surgeon you are waiting for.

Yes, I know there are some exceptions, and I'm speaking from my own perspective of having
worked in both the public and private sectors. I spent nearly ten years employed by Swansea City Council, and it certainly caused ructions if anyone there suggested their vote would go to someone other than the Labour candidate. It was also fairly well understood and accepted that anyone, who publicised their alignment to the Conservative party, would have their career stalled and would not move on to senior management or departmental heads. All from my experience, as I say.
Senedd on 16:49 - May 20 with 2279 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Senedd on 08:08 - May 20 by Kilkennyjack

You are obviously not aware of this one then.

Westminster is actively diminishing Wales still further.

Good new the independent boundary commission wants all constituencies to have the same number of voters. Currently Scotland and Wales are over represented in the UK Parliament. A reduction of MPs to 600 can only save money.

Senedd on 16:54 - May 20 with 2278 viewsonehunglow

Senedd on 11:07 - May 20 by pencoedjack

I do not wish to be personal but we have a few posters who encaptulate why Wales i o backward;it is attitude.

We have people seeing Labour as the only party for "working people" effectively making us look like an eastern bloc former Country. If one party is seen as vile scum and Torys voters actually not welcome IN A TOWN then you really have issues

Senedd on 17:16 - May 20 with 2269 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Senedd on 08:27 - May 20 by onehunglow

Felix,me ol mucker.
Don't you think the working class should only have one party for which to cast their vote.

I mean the Tories don't represent us and are all vile and corrupt.

It would save us a fortune if we had just one party for the poor and one for the rich?

Innit

People are free to vote for whatever party they want to. Increasingly working class votes are no longer voting for Labour as the result in hartlepool showed . Labour has become the party of the middle class metropolitan voters in places like London.

Senedd on 17:20 - May 20 with 2260 viewsonehunglow

Senedd on 17:16 - May 20 by felixstowe_jack

People are free to vote for whatever party they want to. Increasingly working class votes are no longer voting for Labour as the result in hartlepool showed . Labour has become the party of the middle class metropolitan voters in places like London.

Legally they are but not socially.
Read what is said on here about anyone voting Tory .

It is pure class war and it underpins everything

Everyone on here is subject to social analysis and it is pretty evident as to what contempt there is for a free election.

Some really do want a one party state effectively

Senedd on 18:09 - May 20 with 2252 viewspencoedjack

Senedd on 16:54 - May 20 by onehunglow

I do not wish to be personal but we have a few posters who encaptulate why Wales i o backward;it is attitude.

We have people seeing Labour as the only party for "working people" effectively making us look like an eastern bloc former Country. If one party is seen as vile scum and Torys voters actually not welcome IN A TOWN then you really have issues

If you wish to participate in conversations with juvenile posters who post about Tory voters being 'vile scum' & having no idea about the real world you carry on Rich.

I will continue to vote for whichever party is best for mine & more importantly my (hardworking) kids & grandkids future.

Things that happened 40 years ago can leave a bad taste in my mouth but unlike some I can move on, as I said in my previous post Welsh people will reap what they sow with this lot in power in Cardiff.

The worst education system in the UK > I imagine there are people who voted Labour with their kids going through it

Longest NHS waiting lists in the UK > Id imagine there are people in pain waiting for hip or knee surgery who voted Labour

Astonishing .........
Senedd on 18:36 - May 20 with 2234 viewsKilkennyjack

Senedd on 18:09 - May 20 by pencoedjack

If you wish to participate in conversations with juvenile posters who post about Tory voters being 'vile scum' & having no idea about the real world you carry on Rich.

I will continue to vote for whichever party is best for mine & more importantly my (hardworking) kids & grandkids future.

Things that happened 40 years ago can leave a bad taste in my mouth but unlike some I can move on, as I said in my previous post Welsh people will reap what they sow with this lot in power in Cardiff.

The worst education system in the UK > I imagine there are people who voted Labour with their kids going through it

Longest NHS waiting lists in the UK > Id imagine there are people in pain waiting for hip or knee surgery who voted Labour

Astonishing .........

Yes, but it could be worse.

We could have voted for sleaze, corruption, tax-dodging, selfishness, covid mismanagement and xenophobia.
Cymru will never vote Tory.

Johnson understands little about Cymru, and he cares even less.

Another example ... 😎

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024