Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
level playing field 16:51 - Oct 4 with 2159 viewsBoundy

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/crime/tory-mp-johnny-mercer-flies-to-belfast-w

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

level playing field on 17:37 - Oct 4 with 1679 viewsCatullus

Yet another case where the British government send people to do a job and then abandon them after the event.

It hurts even more that Tony Blair gave terrorists pardons but didn't worry about getting servicemen and women any protection.

In the face of such treatment why would anybody join the armed forces now?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

level playing field on 21:08 - Oct 4 with 1619 viewsKilkennyjack

level playing field on 17:37 - Oct 4 by Catullus

Yet another case where the British government send people to do a job and then abandon them after the event.

It hurts even more that Tony Blair gave terrorists pardons but didn't worry about getting servicemen and women any protection.

In the face of such treatment why would anybody join the armed forces now?

He shot a man dead so its reasonable that he accounts for his actions.

The UK says it was not a war, and so the normal laws of the land apply.
I have no idea if he is guilty or not, but the CPS must think there is a case to answer.
We will see.

The uk govt should never have sent troops into that situation, and they certainly ahould not have stayed.

Beware of the Risen People

level playing field on 11:17 - Oct 5 with 1576 viewsfelixstowe_jack

level playing field on 21:08 - Oct 4 by Kilkennyjack

He shot a man dead so its reasonable that he accounts for his actions.

The UK says it was not a war, and so the normal laws of the land apply.
I have no idea if he is guilty or not, but the CPS must think there is a case to answer.
We will see.

The uk govt should never have sent troops into that situation, and they certainly ahould not have stayed.

The IRA murdered thousands including innocent children and women. Why should they be given an amnesty when soldiers who risked their lives keeping to two waring clans from killing each other be treated differently.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

level playing field on 11:29 - Oct 5 with 1565 viewsmajorraglan

I can see why Blair and the others involved in the Peace Process negotiations drew a line in the sand and gave the terrorists pardons in order to deliver peace, but as has been said the same should have been agreed for others. The only explanation I can think of is that no one ever foresaw these prosecutions being initiated.
As far as I am concerned, this type of thing shouldn’t be happening.
level playing field on 13:01 - Oct 5 with 1535 viewstrampie

The British army should have tried to take the moral high ground but they didn't by siding with one side over the other the British army was responsible for the death of unarmed civilians and as somebody that has no dog in the fight, not Irish, not Catholic, not English, not GSTQ, I think it's shocking that they shot them in the back in many instances.
Both sides did terrible things, tit for that, one side tried to say they were on the side of law and order, as a law abiding UK citizen myself it did not seem like that to me.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

level playing field on 13:35 - Oct 5 with 1513 viewsKilkennyjack

level playing field on 11:17 - Oct 5 by felixstowe_jack

The IRA murdered thousands including innocent children and women. Why should they be given an amnesty when soldiers who risked their lives keeping to two waring clans from killing each other be treated differently.

The peace process delivered 20 years of peace so they have done something right.

The UK government signed it off. It was not imposed by anyone.

I dont know enough of the detail, but treating people fairly will have been central to the de-militarised outcome that everyone wanted.

Keeping on with the same cycle of killings was the alternative.
That was avoided. Thank God.

I am sure the defence team will ensure that any aspects of this case that fall under the GFA will be highlighted. Looks like the CPS believes that this is not the case or it would not be going to court.

level playing field on 14:10 - Oct 5 with 1504 viewsfelixstowe_jack

level playing field on 13:35 - Oct 5 by Kilkennyjack

The peace process delivered 20 years of peace so they have done something right.

The UK government signed it off. It was not imposed by anyone.

I dont know enough of the detail, but treating people fairly will have been central to the de-militarised outcome that everyone wanted.

Keeping on with the same cycle of killings was the alternative.
That was avoided. Thank God.

I am sure the defence team will ensure that any aspects of this case that fall under the GFA will be highlighted. Looks like the CPS believes that this is not the case or it would not be going to court.

The IRA also signed it after they had been defeated by the British army.
The IRA of course have continued with their punishment beatings, extortion of the Catholic population to protect them and are still killing people and planting bombs funny kind of peace.

level playing field on 14:34 - Oct 5 with 1494 viewstrampie

level playing field on 14:10 - Oct 5 by felixstowe_jack

The IRA of course have continued with their punishment beatings, extortion of the Catholic population to protect them and are still killing people and planting bombs funny kind of peace.

The IRA wasn't defeated they went down the peace route and decommissioned their arms as they were infiltrated by British spies making it harder and harder for them to function, I have heard people say that they think that McGuiness and Adams were British spies, hence why they weren't eliminated or locked up for a long time.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Login to get fewer ads

level playing field on 14:42 - Oct 5 with 1489 viewsKilkennyjack

level playing field on 14:34 - Oct 5 by trampie

The IRA wasn't defeated they went down the peace route and decommissioned their arms as they were infiltrated by British spies making it harder and harder for them to function, I have heard people say that they think that McGuiness and Adams were British spies, hence why they weren't eliminated or locked up for a long time.

In Felixs small brain they were both defeated, and yet carried on.

In the real world, of course, there was 20 years of peace before Brexit.
Compare it to the 20 years before that to see the step change.

Left to Felix, then the peace is somehow a bad thing. He is a beaut.

level playing field on 17:43 - Oct 5 with 1468 viewsDr_Winston

"The IRA wasn't defeated they went down the peace route and decommissioned their arms as they were infiltrated by British spies making it harder and harder for them to function"

That's called losing.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

level playing field on 17:56 - Oct 5 with 1452 viewsKilkennyjack

level playing field on 17:43 - Oct 5 by Dr_Winston

"The IRA wasn't defeated they went down the peace route and decommissioned their arms as they were infiltrated by British spies making it harder and harder for them to function"

That's called losing.

The inevitable unification of Ireland will mark the real closure for all the people in the north of Ireland. The GFA provides the mechanism.

The unloved statelet cannot stand in the modern world.

President Biden is very much on this page.
Likewise our European friends.
Its already done.

level playing field on 07:37 - Oct 6 with 1419 viewsfelixstowe_jack

That's called losing.

Correct.

level playing field on 10:12 - Oct 6 with 1385 viewstrampie

That's called losing.

Hardly the GFA agreement was a win for the IRA as it was a step towards a 'united Ireland', that is why the DUP would not support it, they got a say in running the province which they did not have before and they had some form of agreements of immunity for their fighters/terrorists and in return they gave up their weapons because most of their objectives were met or potentially going to be met in time.

The Brits at a high level imo had had enough of Northern Ireland and didn't want it anymore, as perverse as it sounds they did not want to defeat the IRA they wanted to find a way to give them Northern Ireland, not immediately otherwise they would upset the loyalists and the families of the dead soldiers but over time it seemed like they wanted out.

level playing field on 12:57 - Oct 6 with 1353 viewsfelixstowe_jack

level playing field on 10:12 - Oct 6 by trampie

Hardly the GFA agreement was a win for the IRA as it was a step towards a 'united Ireland', that is why the DUP would not support it, they got a say in running the province which they did not have before and they had some form of agreements of immunity for their fighters/terrorists and in return they gave up their weapons because most of their objectives were met or potentially going to be met in time.

The Brits at a high level imo had had enough of Northern Ireland and didn't want it anymore, as perverse as it sounds they did not want to defeat the IRA they wanted to find a way to give them Northern Ireland, not immediately otherwise they would upset the loyalists and the families of the dead soldiers but over time it seemed like they wanted out.

Incorrect.

level playing field on 15:59 - Oct 6 with 1327 viewstrampie

level playing field on 12:57 - Oct 6 by felixstowe_jack

Incorrect.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2016/07/04/news/michael-gove-

Capitulation by the UK Government to the IRA.

level playing field on 18:58 - Oct 6 with 1294 views73__73

Lol you must be joking. The British army could have wiped out the ira in one day had the political will been there. After all , all ira members were known to British intelligence.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

level playing field on 20:06 - Oct 6 with 1278 viewsonehunglow

IRA heroes to many outside the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland ,part of the United Kingdom .
The Omagh bombers got away with it.
29 murdered,blown to pieces in a part of our country.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

level playing field on 22:29 - Oct 6 with 1261 viewstrampie

level playing field on 18:58 - Oct 6 by 73__73

Lol you must be joking. The British army could have wiped out the ira in one day had the political will been there. After all , all ira members were known to British intelligence.

Exactly, they could have effectively ended the contest in one day but they didn't because they realised Northern Ireland was a basket case and they no longer wanted anything to do with the situation as it was, so they set about easing themselves out of there the best way they could with the attitude if they want to stay in the UK (as long as they are not fighting each other) then fine, if they want to join the Republic of Ireland then carry on.

That is why it was a win for the IRA, the IRA got most of what they wanted and the other side lost their power and the way things are going in the medium term (even short term) what with the birth rate and Ireland have caught up with the UK in lots of measures then a united Ireland might only be a matter of time from happening.

level playing field on 23:04 - Oct 6 with 1240 viewsFireboy2

level playing field on 14:10 - Oct 5 by felixstowe_jack

The loyalists have also continued with their punishment beatings and extortion

They are and were as bad as each other and the squaddies were caught up in the middle trying to protect, so they should be protected as both loyalist and IRA terrorists were.

You and the fellow IRA haters along with the IRA sympathisers need to wind your necks in and see the real picture, 20 years of peace by as major has stated ' drawing a line'

If it was upto you and your ilk there would be thousands more deaths by your stubbornness.
level playing field on 09:48 - Oct 7 with 1186 viewsCatullus

level playing field on 23:04 - Oct 6 by Fireboy2

They are and were as bad as each other and the squaddies were caught up in the middle trying to protect, so they should be protected as both loyalist and IRA terrorists were.

You and the fellow IRA haters along with the IRA sympathisers need to wind your necks in and see the real picture, 20 years of peace by as major has stated ' drawing a line'

If it was upto you and your ilk there would be thousands more deaths by your stubbornness.

That line in the sand should apply to all sides though. It really irks to see veterans, OAP's now, taken to court when terrorists were effectively pardoned.

Hardly anybody wants a return to the troubles, I'm sure a few on both sides would like it mind. Blair was right to try and find a peace treaty but he shouldn't have thrown our veterans to the wolves in doing so.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

level playing field on 10:10 - Oct 7 with 1174 viewsmajorraglan

level playing field on 09:48 - Oct 7 by Catullus

That line in the sand should apply to all sides though. It really irks to see veterans, OAP's now, taken to court when terrorists were effectively pardoned.

Hardly anybody wants a return to the troubles, I'm sure a few on both sides would like it mind. Blair was right to try and find a peace treaty but he shouldn't have thrown our veterans to the wolves in doing so.

I agree with you about the line in the sand and it’s a point I made earlier in the thread. People on both sides have lost loved ones through the atrocities committed by the Republicans and Loyalists. I am not a Tony Blair fan, but I suspect he and others involved in the GFA wouldn’t have envisaged the issues with the soldiers happening because most of the UK public wouldn’t have envisaged it, if they had envisaged it and decided not to do anything that’s shameful.

There’s a lot of talk about winning and losing, the way I see it is that the Republicans have come out of the troubles in a stronger position than the Loyalists and I believe a United Ireland beckons. The danger that lies ahead is a return to the troubles whereby a minority Unionist population tries to resist the reunification, if you like a reversal of what we’ve previously seen.
level playing field on 10:14 - Oct 7 with 1169 viewsonehunglow

Surely we are ALL IRA haters as we are UDF terrorists.

IRA exported death though.

Indys support the IRA aim -as is still the case.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

level playing field on 12:31 - Oct 7 with 1148 viewsBoundy

As someone who was " caught in the middle" , believe me a minority of unionists were as equally as evil as a minority of nationalists , West Belfast then had no physical interface so you often had a tactical area of control which included both sides of the divide but all were treated by myself and many others with the same procedures and processes regardless of their religious bent. I hold no animosity towards those who wished to do me harm, maybe they still do and would but I'm not likely to put myself in the position to test that theory . that was then this is now.
I had a mate/colleague who was killed , shot through the neck with his helpless section around him, dying, drowning in his blood outside a scruffy post office which he was protecting , he was 18, his murderers 17 and 18 , he lost his life, and has spent the past 16,388 days in a grave in Morriston cemetery, them their liberty for a short while and for exactly what. He didn't want to be there as did many of us but you take the queens shilling and you do your duty. But no one I've ever spoken would ever want to go through that again and why should anyone. Its the politicians as always who let down its people .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

level playing field on 14:51 - Oct 7 with 1115 viewsKilkennyjack

level playing field on 12:31 - Oct 7 by Boundy

As someone who was " caught in the middle" , believe me a minority of unionists were as equally as evil as a minority of nationalists , West Belfast then had no physical interface so you often had a tactical area of control which included both sides of the divide but all were treated by myself and many others with the same procedures and processes regardless of their religious bent. I hold no animosity towards those who wished to do me harm, maybe they still do and would but I'm not likely to put myself in the position to test that theory . that was then this is now.
I had a mate/colleague who was killed , shot through the neck with his helpless section around him, dying, drowning in his blood outside a scruffy post office which he was protecting , he was 18, his murderers 17 and 18 , he lost his life, and has spent the past 16,388 days in a grave in Morriston cemetery, them their liberty for a short while and for exactly what. He didn't want to be there as did many of us but you take the queens shilling and you do your duty. But no one I've ever spoken would ever want to go through that again and why should anyone. Its the politicians as always who let down its people .

That makes perfect sense to me.
We are agreed on that post.

level playing field on 17:50 - Oct 7 with 1096 viewsFireboy2

level playing field on 12:31 - Oct 7 by Boundy

Brilliant post 👏
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024