Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy prices 09:59 - Mar 20 with 11404 viewsKilkennyjack

Big big profits for the energy suppliers, big big price hikes for us lot.

Shirley people will not be able to cope with such price rises ?

We should re-nationalise immediately.
Too important for the markets to handle, with a built in short term profit view of everything.

Beware of the Risen People

Energy prices on 23:38 - Jun 2 with 1344 viewsmajorraglan

Energy prices on 21:42 - Jun 2 by felixstowe_jack

Why would there be power cuts in the UK when we have ample extra generating capacity.

Shortage of gas. It’s a worst case scenario, but Government is not ruling cuts out. Successive governments have failed to address security of energy security supply for many years.

https://news.sky.com/story/six-million-homes-could-face-winter-power-cuts-due-to

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-05-30/ministers-warned-of-millions-of-winter-power
[Post edited 2 Jun 2022 23:39]
Energy prices on 08:00 - Jun 3 with 1304 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Good to see the government giving the go ahead for the development of another North Sea gas field and Shell happy to invest £500 million. The less dependence on imported gas the better.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Energy prices on 08:04 - Jun 3 with 1303 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Nationalisation never works just increase prices with bloated overstaffed inefficient public bodies a drain on taxpayers. You only have to look at the DVLA and passport offices.

Nationalisation is another throwback to mid 20th labour policies no place in a modern progressive economy.

Energy prices on 09:45 - Jun 3 with 1278 viewsLorax

Energy prices on 08:04 - Jun 3 by felixstowe_jack

Nationalisation never works just increase prices with bloated overstaffed inefficient public bodies a drain on taxpayers. You only have to look at the DVLA and passport offices.

Nationalisation is another throwback to mid 20th labour policies no place in a modern progressive economy.

Even so we should never have sold our utilities to foreign interests. We have been milked by people like EDF who have used UK bill payers to subsidise French bills.

Gas, water and electricity need to be nationalised but run by people recruited from the private sector with profits reinvested, used to keep bills down and to pay decent wages. The unions don't hold the same powers as in the mid 20th century, we shouldn't see the same issues.
Energy prices on 11:54 - Jun 3 with 1268 viewsBryanSwan

Energy prices on 08:04 - Jun 3 by felixstowe_jack

Do you seriously believe this? Privatisation has been an abject failure for ordinary people and has only ever benefitted the rich shareholders who were sold the industries for peanuts.

Would you advocate for a wholly privately run healthcare?

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Energy prices on 11:58 - Jun 3 with 1267 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Energy prices on 21:42 - Jun 2 by felixstowe_jack

Why would there be power cuts in the UK when we have ample extra generating capacity.

Why do you think we have "ample extra generating capacity"?

When the wind is not blowing as it was earlier this week and producing only 2GW from it's 21GW of capacity something else has to make up the difference, especially between the hours of 8pm and 8am. when there is zero solar.
Energy prices on 12:01 - Jun 3 with 1266 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Energy prices on 09:45 - Jun 3 by Lorax

Even so we should never have sold our utilities to foreign interests. We have been milked by people like EDF who have used UK bill payers to subsidise French bills.

Gas, water and electricity need to be nationalised but run by people recruited from the private sector with profits reinvested, used to keep bills down and to pay decent wages. The unions don't hold the same powers as in the mid 20th century, we shouldn't see the same issues.

"The unions don't hold the same powers as in the mid 20th century, we shouldn't see the same issues. "

Tell that to the RMT, they haven't realised it yet.

Any essential strategic asset should either be non Union or the unions have their powers curtailed.
Energy prices on 13:48 - Jun 3 with 1252 viewsLorax

Energy prices on 12:01 - Jun 3 by A_Fans_Dad

"The unions don't hold the same powers as in the mid 20th century, we shouldn't see the same issues. "

Tell that to the RMT, they haven't realised it yet.

Any essential strategic asset should either be non Union or the unions have their powers curtailed.

OK, and how many unions still wield the same kind of power the miners and some others used to have?

Could the RMT bring the whole nation to a standstill?

As utilities are so important to everyone they could be nationalised and have it written in that they couldn't strike with pay being decided by an independent body, like the MP's have. One thing is sure, we should not allow this country to have it's essential services run by foreign concerns who milk billions out of us every year and when something goes wrong they claim poverty and run to the government for help. Pipes leaking are they, spend your profits, the tracks are warped in the heat and the train stock needs updating, again, use your profits. These people are happy to run these services and take massive wages, bonuses and dividends but when things go wrong what happens? They run to the government and expect the taxpayer to bail them out.
Login to get fewer ads

Energy prices on 13:53 - Jun 3 with 1251 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Energy prices on 13:48 - Jun 3 by Lorax

OK, and how many unions still wield the same kind of power the miners and some others used to have?

As utilities are so important to everyone they could be nationalised and have it written in that they couldn't strike with pay being decided by an independent body, like the MP's have. One thing is sure, we should not allow this country to have it's essential services run by foreign concerns who milk billions out of us every year and when something goes wrong they claim poverty and run to the government for help. Pipes leaking are they, spend your profits, the tracks are warped in the heat and the train stock needs updating, again, use your profits. These people are happy to run these services and take massive wages, bonuses and dividends but when things go wrong what happens? They run to the government and expect the taxpayer to bail them out.

Well actually the RMT could bring a lot of the country to a standstill.

But I agree with everything else you say.
Energy prices on 14:11 - Jun 3 with 1245 viewsLorax

Energy prices on 13:53 - Jun 3 by A_Fans_Dad

Well actually the RMT could bring a lot of the country to a standstill.

But I agree with everything else you say.

This latest RMT strike is just the tube drivers isn't it? The average base pay of a Tube driver is £55,011. During training, drivers earn £32,375. Drivers also get free travel around London for them and a partner, and can retire on a pension at the age of 50.

Sounds like a very good crack to me, specially on a partially automated system where the driver acts more like a safety brake than anything else. All they are doing is giving management more reason to push for full automation and they are putting themselves out of jobs in the long term. As it stands the drivers are only there until full automation so they are obviously trying to cash in now. For people in other very responsible jobs who earn less, this will look a tad greedy. take a London Bobby or a nurse, the Met has 7 pay bands and you need to be in the top 2 bands to earn more than 55k; a band 7 nurse gets around 45k.
Energy prices on 16:55 - Jun 3 with 1218 viewsmajorraglan

Energy prices on 13:48 - Jun 3 by Lorax

I believe some of the Utilities should have remained in State hands and run on a commercial basis with profits being reinvested in to services, but that shop has sailed.

I wouldn’t disagree with you on pay being decided by independent bodies, but for that to happen it needs both sides to buy in to the process and accept the outcome however it pans out, unfortunately that doesn’t always happen. If you take the police for example, they can’t strike and they do have an independent pay review process but the Home Office have, on a number of occasions decided to ignore the recommendations and pay less which is very unfair. If someone’s rights are removed, then there should be a robust process in place which is binding on all parties.
Energy prices on 18:14 - Jun 3 with 1193 viewsLorax

Energy prices on 16:55 - Jun 3 by majorraglan

I believe some of the Utilities should have remained in State hands and run on a commercial basis with profits being reinvested in to services, but that shop has sailed.

I wouldn’t disagree with you on pay being decided by independent bodies, but for that to happen it needs both sides to buy in to the process and accept the outcome however it pans out, unfortunately that doesn’t always happen. If you take the police for example, they can’t strike and they do have an independent pay review process but the Home Office have, on a number of occasions decided to ignore the recommendations and pay less which is very unfair. If someone’s rights are removed, then there should be a robust process in place which is binding on all parties.

The police and pay, that's just another example of political hypocrisy. They deny the police the pay rise they should have and yet, when IPSA gives the politicians a pay rise they rarely turn it down. They have once to my memory, during covid. Otherwise I see them all grasping at it, very few turn it down or give any to charity.

The Senedd were just as bad, they got 18% in 2015 when other public pay settlements in Wales were negligible and I think they had another rise since then.
Energy prices on 08:51 - Jun 5 with 1134 viewsKilkennyjack

Energy prices on 11:54 - Jun 3 by BryanSwan

Do you seriously believe this? Privatisation has been an abject failure for ordinary people and has only ever benefitted the rich shareholders who were sold the industries for peanuts.

Would you advocate for a wholly privately run healthcare?

Correct.

The private companies can only think short term and are run to get money to their shareholders.

This is why privatised water companies pump raw sewage (yes actual shit) into the rivers of the UK since Brexit.

They have not used their decades of profits to invest, instead they fed their stakeholders at our expense.

Energy prices on 09:11 - Jun 5 with 1125 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Energy prices on 08:51 - Jun 5 by Kilkennyjack

Correct.

The private companies can only think short term and are run to get money to their shareholders.

This is why privatised water companies pump raw sewage (yes actual shit) into the rivers of the UK since Brexit.

They have not used their decades of profits to invest, instead they fed their stakeholders at our expense.

Before privatisation nearly all water companies pumped raw sewage into the sea . As part of the conditions of privatisation they had to treat all sewage first. In Swansea there were several sewage discharge pipes pumping sewage straight into Swansea bay. Most people in Swansea can remember the huge disruption when all sewage pipes were diverted to the new sewage works in the east side of Swansea. This was repeated all across the UK. Population growth and new housing has led to some of the existing sewage works now being overloaded and at periods of heavy rain sewage does indeed overflow.

The heavey rain has nothing to do with BREXIT.

Once again you are off topic.

Energy prices on 13:40 - Jun 5 with 1090 viewsLorax

Energy prices on 08:51 - Jun 5 by Kilkennyjack

Correct.

We were pumping a lot more raw sewage into the sea before brexit, now they pump the overspill but growing up in Mumbles in the 70's, there was a short fall pipe from Mumbles Hill treatment plant putting sewage into Swansea bay, it was extended into a "long outfall pipe" so the tide would take it out to sea, I think. it's been changed again since then but I can't find anything about it.

Not like you to post wrong/bad information, to try and blame brexit for something that is nothing to do with it...not much it isn't
Energy prices on 08:24 - Jun 14 with 1017 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Seems the Unions in particular RMT who have been calling for nationalisation and windfall taxes have been shown "breathtaking hypocrisy". Mick Lynch called "the earnings and shareholding dividends indefensible" yet his union has £254,000 worth of shares in BP, £540,000 shares in Shell and £700,000 in Petroleum company BHP.
No doubt the RMT use dividens from these companies to fund the labour party and the 6 shadow cabinet members it "sponsors"
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 14:00]

Energy prices on 13:01 - Jul 28 with 874 viewsKilkennyjack

Energy prices on 08:24 - Jun 14 by felixstowe_jack

Seems the Unions in particular RMT who have been calling for nationalisation and windfall taxes have been shown "breathtaking hypocrisy". Mick Lynch called "the earnings and shareholding dividends indefensible" yet his union has £254,000 worth of shares in BP, £540,000 shares in Shell and £700,000 in Petroleum company BHP.
No doubt the RMT use dividens from these companies to fund the labour party and the 6 shadow cabinet members it "sponsors"
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 14:00]

Sit down ….

Energy prices on 07:38 - Jul 29 with 794 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Energy prices on 13:01 - Jul 28 by Kilkennyjack

Sit down ….

Good to see successful UK firms making a profit and paying their taxes like petroleum and gas production taxes, windfall taxes, corporation taxes, to the UK government to help pay for benefits and the NHS.

If only companies like Amazon, Google would pay their fair share of tax instead of diverting them to EU tax havens like Luxembourg and Dublin.

Energy prices on 17:52 - Jul 29 with 756 viewsBillyChong

Energy prices on 07:38 - Jul 29 by felixstowe_jack

Good to see successful UK firms making a profit and paying their taxes like petroleum and gas production taxes, windfall taxes, corporation taxes, to the UK government to help pay for benefits and the NHS.

If only companies like Amazon, Google would pay their fair share of tax instead of diverting them to EU tax havens like Luxembourg and Dublin.

The equivalent of congratulating a thief on a good heist
Energy prices on 13:04 - Jul 30 with 694 viewsCatullus

Energy prices on 13:01 - Jul 28 by Kilkennyjack

Sit down ….

It's the samw with many of these corporations. Their price rises don't just match the increase in their costs, if their costs rise by X amount they chareg us X+?% so their profits keep on rising.

The government need to cap their profits while this madness continues.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Energy prices on 13:48 - Jul 30 with 679 viewsKeithHaynes

The people of the uk need to focus, get complete backing, not get caught up in fighting the police because the cause is then lost. Carefully thought out and well planned civil disobedience and I don’t mean old ladies sat in the road and screeching before anyone touches them.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Energy prices on 14:08 - Jul 30 with 655 viewsJack123

Energy prices on 13:48 - Jul 30 by KeithHaynes

The people of the uk need to focus, get complete backing, not get caught up in fighting the police because the cause is then lost. Carefully thought out and well planned civil disobedience and I don’t mean old ladies sat in the road and screeching before anyone touches them.

Yes, I'm dreading when winter comes, once the gas starts being used a lot, been trying to budget the food shopping in preparation, but you don't get a lot for your money these days.

libera nos a malo

Energy prices on 14:08 - Jul 30 with 654 viewsCatullus

Energy prices on 13:48 - Jul 30 by KeithHaynes

What, the people of the UK act together in thought out ways. You've been in Spain too long. We couldn't get everybody off here to act as one in carefully thought out and planned ways, let alone much bigger numbers.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Energy prices on 19:26 - Jul 30 with 631 viewsBoundy

Energy prices on 14:08 - Jul 30 by Catullus

What, the people of the UK act together in thought out ways. You've been in Spain too long. We couldn't get everybody off here to act as one in carefully thought out and planned ways, let alone much bigger numbers.

Poll tax riots ? I'm not condoning the violence but it showed the establishment that some things are more than worth fighting for

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Energy prices on 19:37 - Jul 30 with 627 viewsJack123

Energy prices on 19:26 - Jul 30 by Boundy

Poll tax riots ? I'm not condoning the violence but it showed the establishment that some things are more than worth fighting for

You would think, what is about to happen to many people, that the poll tax riots would seem like a teddy bears picnic.

I wouldn't mind getting involved, could do with a good punch up the way I feel, hopefully some 'woke' gits will turn up as well, and that would make my day.

Hopefully it won't get to that stage though, I have a feeling if it does kick off, it will be bad.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 19:44]

libera nos a malo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024