Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? 23:22 - Jun 22 with 5078 viewsKeithHaynes

It’s only an opinion but seriously why would he leave after one season and being RM’s man ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 17:01 - Jun 23 with 1409 viewsonehunglow

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 15:16 - Jun 23 by shandyjack

Saying De Guzman was over rated really shows this site how limited your knowledge of football is.

It also shows you and Winston ganging up on a fellow poster.
You know no more than many. None of us know it all.
It is simply a matter of perspective.
I could argue that your view of de Guzman shows a similar trait to that chucked my way.
Now then,how about you accepting the rules of this site,ie to respect fellow posters .

By the way, after he left the Swans ,just how Stella was De Guzmans career.

How many other clubs saw him as indispensable

This thread shows up several masquerading as fans respecting the views of others .

Scratch the surface and it ain’t pleasant

Anyway,bye Doc,again. It wasn’t to last

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 17:39 - Jun 23 with 1378 viewsLorax

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 09:14 - Jun 23 by jasper_T

I think it's a stretch to blame Grimes for how Downes plays. Too often he goes short and sideways as if asking others to play our football for him. Early season especially where he would shuffle the ball off to Naughton and then drop in behind to play sweeper. He's shown that when he has the ambition to drive forward with the ball he can impact games but doesn't do it often enough.

Grimes gets slated when he's risk-averse but many on here either overlook the fact that Downes has been even more so, or somehow blame Grimes for it. Grimes has had to adapt to a more forward-thinking role in the partnership which doesn't really suit him, so I'm not sure where the idea that he needed "cover" comes from. Been one of the best in the division as a holding midfielder for three seasons before Downes arriving, with excellent defensive stats.

Personally I blame the manager for that. It's Grimes that should be held back and Downes that should be pushing forward, that's my opinion anyway.
For me it's another thing on the list of Martin's mistakes, things that he needs to learn and adjust his attitude to. He often has players out of position, he shoehorns players into his preferred formation and style and he ends up wasting the talents of some good players.

We should have done better last season, we should do better next season.
Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 17:41 - Jun 23 with 1366 viewsonehunglow

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 17:39 - Jun 23 by Lorax

Personally I blame the manager for that. It's Grimes that should be held back and Downes that should be pushing forward, that's my opinion anyway.
For me it's another thing on the list of Martin's mistakes, things that he needs to learn and adjust his attitude to. He often has players out of position, he shoehorns players into his preferred formation and style and he ends up wasting the talents of some good players.

We should have done better last season, we should do better next season.

We should.
Downes is a big talent albeit some don’t see it.
He has been utterly wasted and if he stays with us I will be staggered and delighted for the boy and us .

He does need to calm down though but he is making up for his team mates most of the time

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 18:29 - Jun 23 with 1335 viewsshingle

Yep an offer of 2 to 3 mill to the club and a pay rise for him and he will be gone in a jiff.
Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 19:15 - Jun 23 with 1305 viewsLorax

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 15:59 - Jun 23 by Dr_Winston

Innit. You can normally tell someone who knows their stuff from the other ones based on their opinion of JdG.

I admit JdG was a very good player, my issue with him was that I never felt he was playing for the team, it was always all about him, in my opinion.
Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 19:38 - Jun 23 with 1280 viewsDr_Winston

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 18:29 - Jun 23 by shingle

Yep an offer of 2 to 3 mill to the club and a pay rise for him and he will be gone in a jiff.

Why would an offer of £2-3m be enough when we paid £1.5m in the first place?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 20:17 - Jun 23 with 1255 viewsonehunglow

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 19:15 - Jun 23 by Lorax

I admit JdG was a very good player, my issue with him was that I never felt he was playing for the team, it was always all about him, in my opinion.

Think Nathan Dyer might have had an opinion of him after that cup final when he could have got a hat trick.

Clearly some had a man crush on him

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 07:19 - Jun 24 with 1164 viewsWhiterockin

Interview from the club site.

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/get-know-flynn-downes
Login to get fewer ads

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 08:24 - Jun 24 with 1129 viewsDr_Winston

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 20:17 - Jun 23 by onehunglow

Think Nathan Dyer might have had an opinion of him after that cup final when he could have got a hat trick.

Yeah, just like people have man crushes on Martin, or Grimes, or anyone else you've thrown a tantrum about.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 08:25 - Jun 24 with 1135 viewsshandyjack

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 20:17 - Jun 23 by onehunglow

Yes, that was a terrible move for him to pull in the final. But surely no one can doubt he was an outstanding player for us in 2 of the best seasons we've had following the swans in many a year.

Poll: Expectation for the season

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 08:53 - Jun 24 with 1103 viewsonehunglow

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 08:25 - Jun 24 by shandyjack

Yes, that was a terrible move for him to pull in the final. But surely no one can doubt he was an outstanding player for us in 2 of the best seasons we've had following the swans in many a year.

Morning.He was good but we can disagree on outstanding .For that ,look to the likes of Michu who incredibly is not lauded as much or Gylfi who really was outstanding.

It's simply a matter of opinions and not an invitation to war.

De Guzman's behaviour at Wembley speaks for itself.

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 18:03 - Jun 24 with 1001 viewsshingle

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 19:38 - Jun 23 by Dr_Winston

Why would an offer of £2-3m be enough when we paid £1.5m in the first place?

Knowing our lot they would be quite contented to double there money on a player who is not as good as many think he is, i would be surprised to see any club come in and offer much more than that figure for him anyway.
Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 18:12 - Jun 24 with 973 viewsonehunglow

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 18:03 - Jun 24 by shingle

Knowing our lot they would be quite contented to double there money on a player who is not as good as many think he is, i would be surprised to see any club come in and offer much more than that figure for him anyway.

Double your money. Where there? Where.

Our lot? Who is that supposed to be,those who see things different from you and win.

Not sure why our lot go to games at all.We should clearly stay well away and from these forums as we know nowt .

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 18:59 - Jun 24 with 951 viewsSTID2017

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 08:53 - Jun 24 by onehunglow

Morning.He was good but we can disagree on outstanding .For that ,look to the likes of Michu who incredibly is not lauded as much or Gylfi who really was outstanding.

It's simply a matter of opinions and not an invitation to war.

De Guzman's behaviour at Wembley speaks for itself.

I disagree on Michu.
He was lauded at the time and he still holds a special place in the memories of all of us lucky enough to witness the Swans PL days.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 19:40 - Jun 24 with 922 viewsKeithHaynes

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 18:59 - Jun 24 by STID2017

I disagree on Michu.
He was lauded at the time and he still holds a special place in the memories of all of us lucky enough to witness the Swans PL days.

Best player to ever put on a swans shirt bar none.

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 19:45 - Jun 24 with 912 viewsonehunglow

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 18:59 - Jun 24 by STID2017

I disagree on Michu.

Well,he aint mentioned as often as De Guzman or mark bluddy gower for Gawrds sake.

Michu made released endophins I never knew existed. His injury and demise was catastrophic for us and him.

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 21:39 - Jun 24 with 880 viewsSTID2017

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 19:45 - Jun 24 by onehunglow

Well,he aint mentioned as often as De Guzman or mark bluddy gower for Gawrds sake.

Michu made released endophins I never knew existed. His injury and demise was catastrophic for us and him.

His injury certainly cut short what should have been a stellar career, which was tragic

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 23:24 - Jun 24 with 815 viewsFireboy2

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 21:39 - Jun 24 by STID2017

His injury certainly cut short what should have been a stellar career, which was tragic

Michu was the earliest memory of my eldest supporting us.

How lucky he was starting to watch us and we were in the PL.

He absolutely loved Michu, I still remember him mimicking michus goal celebrations.

I like michu as well 😍
Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 01:37 - Jun 25 with 795 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 19:40 - Jun 24 by KeithHaynes

Best player to ever put on a swans shirt bar none.

Maybe arguably? There’s been some crackers over the years . Don’t get me wrong I loved him to bits but Ante, Jimmy, Robbie all in with a shout - even though it’s difficult to compare different eras. Ivor, Terry Medwin, Cliff Jones as well - for a smallish city we’ve produced some damn fine players.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 13:46 - Jun 25 with 693 viewsBoundy

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 19:15 - Jun 23 by Lorax

League cup final with the little spat with Nath case in point
Apologies to previous posters who said it first
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 13:47]

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 14:48 - Jun 25 with 659 viewsonehunglow

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 01:37 - Jun 25 by Brynmill_Jack

Maybe arguably? There’s been some crackers over the years . Don’t get me wrong I loved him to bits but Ante, Jimmy, Robbie all in with a shout - even though it’s difficult to compare different eras. Ivor, Terry Medwin, Cliff Jones as well - for a smallish city we’ve produced some damn fine players.

We can compare the significance of players from different eras.
JdG is nobody compared to those mentioned by Brynmill. .
JdG ,as a club man,a nonetity as compared with say,Curt and Robbie.

I wont mention Ivor again in this context as its embarrassing. Mel Nurse too ,as a club man, far and away superior to the dutch lad.

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 15:16 - Jun 25 with 639 viewsKeithHaynes

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 01:37 - Jun 25 by Brynmill_Jack

Yes great players, but for me Michu was a different level.
We are the only club in Wales with the type of pedigree in our history others would love to have.

For every Cardiff player ?

I’m struggling. Ramsey ?

We have a gylfi, bony, JDG, Hernandez, Sinclair, Rangel, B. Davies, Neil Taylor, Ashley Williams, Fabianski. Michu, Fernandez, even Ki, Jon Jo on his day, Trundle ( oh how they wish they had a trundle ) Dyer, Routledge, even going in to the 90’s we were on par more maybe, but Cornforth, Legge ( when he was half decent ) Ford, J. Williams, Cardiff tried to emulate us by signing them after their days were over. I’ll give Stant and Dale for now. And Bellamy. I’ll forgive Saunders, but what about Des Lyttle ? What a player. Hodge has his moments. Christian Edwards.

Curt is maybe the exception, Robbie of course, where’s their Charlo ? Latchford, L.James, I’ll give them Toshack, when we signed oldies they were Tommy Smith and Ian Callaghan, not half bad those two. Even super Max Thompson and his blockbusters, Jimmy Rimmer, Dai Stewart, and Mike Hughes.

I’ve missed loads out and now it’s time for a beer.

The pedigree of this club is unrivalled in Wales since 1979 bar none.

I can’t go further back it wouldn’t be right as I didn’t see those magnificent players of the sixties, least of all those Swansea lads from 1958.

Don’t get me going on managers we blow every Welsh club out of the water.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 15:20 - Jun 25 with 622 viewsSTID2017

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 15:16 - Jun 25 by KeithHaynes

We are the only club in Wales with the type of pedigree in our history others would love to have.

I’m struggling. Ramsey ?

We have a gylfi, bony, JDG, Hernandez, Sinclair, Rangel, B. Davies, Neil Taylor, Ashley Williams, Fabianski. Michu, Fernandez, even Ki, Jon Jo on his day, Trundle ( oh how they wish they had a trundle ) Dyer, Routledge, even going in to the 90’s we were on par more maybe, but Cornforth, Legge ( when he was half decent ) Ford, J. Williams, Cardiff tried to emulate us by signing them after their days were over. I’ll give Stant and Dale for now. And Bellamy. I’ll forgive Saunders, but what about Des Lyttle ? What a player. Hodge has his moments. Christian Edwards.

Curt is maybe the exception, Robbie of course, where’s their Charlo ? Latchford, L.James, I’ll give them Toshack, when we signed oldies they were Tommy Smith and Ian Callaghan, not half bad those two. Even super Max Thompson and his blockbusters, Jimmy Rimmer, Dai Stewart, and Mike Hughes.

I can’t go further back it wouldn’t be right as I didn’t see those magnificent players of the sixties, least of all those Swansea lads from 1958.

Pat Ampadu also

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 15:26 - Jun 25 with 616 viewsKeithHaynes

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 15:20 - Jun 25 by STID2017

Pat Ampadu also

Lovely handwriting, almost medieval.
Superb prose.

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 17:40 - Jun 25 with 559 viewsonehunglow

Flynn Downes : Can anyone seriously see him leaving ? on 15:16 - Jun 25 by KeithHaynes

I’m struggling. Ramsey ?

Very thorough .
I could have written that but didn’t have the time

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024